Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

MSG 1969 Stones show with Terry Reid
Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: October 23, 2019 10:35

Hypothetically speaking: If I happen to have or have access to a 16 track master of Terry Reid's show from the 1969 MSG show when he opened for the Rolling Stones and I was thinking of putting it out, how well do you think it would do? I would like to know if people on this site would be interested in getting it. Are there enough Terry Reid fans out there? Would love to hear the feed  back. This
would done be with Terry's consent of coarse (Hypothetically). Any suggestions
on how to promote the CD/L.P. (L.P. title/photos/ How about a bonus DVD from the tour?) Thanks.

Re: MSG 1969 Stones show with Terry Reid
Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: October 23, 2019 11:31

A great voice ...... Wasn't he offered the Led Zep gig ?
I'd love to hear the 69 show.

sc uk

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: October 23, 2019 11:42

straycatuk
A great voice ...... Wasn't he offered the Led Zep gig ?
I'd love to hear the 69 show.

sc uk

Yes, he was offer the Zep spot.. Besides the Stones 1969 U.S. Tour, Terry also opened for the Stones on their 1966 U.K. Tour in the band Peter Jay and the New Jaywalkers. Also Ike & Tina Turner open for the Stones on this 66 Tour.

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: October 23, 2019 12:28

I would definately be interested in a CD/LP of Terry Reid at Madison Square Garden!

Posted by: downagain ()
Date: October 23, 2019 16:41

I feel like this is something Light in the Attic might be interested in and they have released one of Mr. Reid's records previously.
Personally, I would love this due to the care LITA takes with their releases. The quality is always top notch and they have a loyal following of fans and record stores.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: October 23, 2019 19:27

I had never heard of him before seeing him open for the Stones on the ‘69 tour. But he grabbed my attention right away. I thought he was brilliant.

As for a release . . . I think the market would be quite small. Since that time, he has pretty much disappeared from view. While I would want a copy, I don’t think many people under 65 would be interested. I have vivid memories of that ‘69 show but some of the friends who went with me remember very little. Maybe it can be attributed to the drugs, maybe getting old, who knows. But I don’t think too many of them would remember Terry Reid.

Well, there’s my 2 cents.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 23, 2019 19:42

I saw Terry Reid in 1969... open for BB King, Ike and Tina Turner when they were all opening for the Rolling Stones.

AND 50 years later ... I REMEMBER PRECISELY ZERO.
Especially about Terry Reid!

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: October 23, 2019 21:03

We do 1960s re-releases on vinyl (CD market very tricky) - email me simon@onlyrockandroll.london if you wish to discuss

[www.1960s.london]

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: November 3, 2019 06:11

As others have said I'm not sure if would be a bid seller as Reid was never a big name act but I would love to get a deluxe set if you do something VJ.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: November 4, 2019 11:51

Wonder if there might be more Stones MSG '69 material wherever the Terry Reid came from.

plexi

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: November 4, 2019 12:31

I would love to hear it. If you could release it on vinyl that would be amazing.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: November 7, 2019 17:07

timbernardis
Wonder if there might be more Stones MSG '69 material wherever the Terry Reid came from.

plexi

"Hypothetically speaking," (as VideoJames described it above), it would also be nice if more Stones MSG '69 material surfaced (hint, hint, wink, wink), especially just in time for the fastly approaching 50th anniversary of the Garden shows. Best Christmas present ever for Stones collectors!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-07 17:09 by Sighunt.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 7, 2019 17:39

timbernardis

plexi

VideoJames has that information.

Posted by: TurningToGold2 ()
Date: November 7, 2019 18:33

Terry Reid's The Other Side of the River consisting of outtakes from his The River album was released by Light In The Attic in 2016 and it did pretty well in terms of sales. I think there would definitely be a market for a release like that. Terry is a well known "cult" artist with a small but dedicated following. His music also appeared in Rob Zombie movies which gives him a certain cred and interest among younger people. I think it would be an amazing thing. Light In The Attic would be a choice, but I'm sure many labels that might want an opportunity to put such a thing out.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: November 7, 2019 21:42

At the Forum in Inglewood, CA on November 8, 1969 there was an afternoon hockey game followed by two Stones concerts that included the well known supporting acts of Terry Reid, BB & Ike & Tina. To my memory the Stones did not take the stage for the 2nd show until 2:00 a.m. On the very fine boot of this show you can hear Jagger allude to the late/early hour saying "If we had known we would have brought our toothbrushes, OK?" Thankfully, Terry Reid did not perform the during the 2nd show. Nothing personal, it was just a jammed up night. To make up for the hour Jagger promised to stay on a long while. The 2nd show did get a full set list while the 1st show was short a song or maybe two.

Here is a trivia question for you: How many shows did the band do on November 9, 1969? If the 2nd show in Oakland started before midnight, the answer would be 3!

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: November 7, 2019 22:11

Yes please! Terry Reid is a legend
Loved seeing him play with a few fairly recently (one of which was one MTaylor)

Date: November 8, 2019 15:07

To add to this...

I think Terry Reid would be right up Marc Maron's alley in terms of someone he'd like to interview. Exposure on WTF as the album is coming out would boost sales dramatically I bet as he has a ton of listeners.
I'm sure there are other podcasts which would help as well but Maron loves rock'n'roll, vinyl and his interviews are in-depth enough to bring light to an artists who isn't as well known as many of his contemporaries.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-08 15:07 by downagain.

Posted by: craigmodel212 ()
Date: April 6, 2022 14:23

VideoJames, is there any movement on this recording? Any further thoughts on release? Terry Reid is booking a large UK / US concert tour right now. His Facebook page features a multitude of comments from enthusiastic fans. Timing might be right to release this recording now. Despite earlier comments here about not having many fans, I must disagree, because I see an enormous cult following. There's very little material out there from Terry's participation on the 1969 tour. Hope you consider giving us an opportunity to hear and purchase this before we are all in our graves. Not getting any younger here.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: April 6, 2022 19:40

I missed this thread in 2019, but would definitely buy a CD release (with or without a DVD)!!
Terry Reid was absolutely great up to the 90's, at least.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: April 7, 2022 23:42

I’m keen!

Date: April 8, 2022 00:09

I would love this!!

Date: September 24, 2022 18:33

Hi all. Must admit I am not very savvy about using this forum. Is there a way to contact VideoJames directly concerning this 1969 recording? There is nothing like this in existence available to the public, as far as I know. How does one reach out to VideoJames?

And while I am here, I'd love to locate any photos of Terry from the 1969 tour, especially Boston where I first saw him perform. Give me a shout if you have photos.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: September 24, 2022 19:25

Great singer, likes a drink now and then. Heres a funny thing- I read an interview with Terry late 1990's/early 2000's where he says he was never actually asked (and so didnt turn them down). According to Terry, Jimmy Page was "asking around" and found out that Terry was contractually locked into a solo career managed by Mickie Most. To promote Terry and get some coverage, Mickie Most came up with the "Singer Who Turned Down Led Zeppelin" angle.
So I went to Google to run down that interview provide a link - and the first half dozen I glance at are Terry going along with/not denying the whole urban legend. If i run across it, I'll post it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-24 19:25 by roryfaninva.

Date: September 25, 2022 03:36

From Jimmy Page's social media page, October 2, 2020: "On this day in 1966, The Yardbirds played at the Ipswich Gaumont Theatre on The Rolling Stones tour. This was the first time I got to hear Terry Reid who was singing with Peter Jay and the New Jaywalkers. He had an impressive gutsy delivery for a 16 year old and he made a marked impression on me. When The Yardbirds folded in July 1968, he was the first person that sprung to mind."

In any case, for those of us who saw the Stones on the 1969 US tour, we remember Terry in his prime as an extremely talented artist. Which is why I'd like to get my hands on a copy of that audio recording that VideoJames has mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 25, 2022 04:53

craigmodel212
Hi all. Must admit I am not very savvy about using this forum. Is there a way to contact VideoJames directly concerning this 1969 recording? There is nothing like this in existence available to the public, as far as I know. How does one reach out to VideoJames?

And while I am here, I'd love to locate any photos of Terry from the 1969 tour, especially Boston where I first saw him perform. Give me a shout if you have photos.

he hasn't posted here in a year and his email is hidden

but i think houseboyknows knows him

maybe he could ask about the progress towards getting this released

and by the way sign me up for a copy on vinyl if this ever happenssmiling smiley

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 25, 2022 13:32

roryfaninva
Great singer, likes a drink now and then. Heres a funny thing- I read an interview with Terry late 1990's/early 2000's where he says he was never actually asked (and so didnt turn them down). According to Terry, Jimmy Page was "asking around" and found out that Terry was contractually locked into a solo career managed by Mickie Most. To promote Terry and get some coverage, Mickie Most came up with the "Singer Who Turned Down Led Zeppelin" angle.
So I went to Google to run down that interview provide a link - and the first half dozen I glance at are Terry going along with/not denying the whole urban legend. If i run across it, I'll post it.

Might be the truth. Often a story is told in a rearranged way. And sometimes an urban legend starts from there. Not unique to this case.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 25, 2022 13:38

craigmodel212
From Jimmy Page's social media page, October 2, 2020: "On this day in 1966, The Yardbirds played at the Ipswich Gaumont Theatre on The Rolling Stones tour. This was the first time I got to hear Terry Reid who was singing with Peter Jay and the New Jaywalkers. He had an impressive gutsy delivery for a 16 year old and he made a marked impression on me. When The Yardbirds folded in July 1968, he was the first person that sprung to mind."

The Rolling Stones British Tour 1966 that features The Yardbirds and Peter Jay and the New Jaywalkers in the package starts from the Royal Albert Hall, London, on 23 September, goes around 12 locations. Ipswich is the 8th stop. They play two sets everyday.

Jimmy didn’t see Terry Reid’s performance before Ipswich? Hard to believe it even if it’s feasible. Birth of yet another urban legend?

(BTW as I mentioned in the Elvis Costello thread, I recently saw EC and The Imposters at Ipswich Regent that is the renamed Gaumont. Like many other music halls in Britain, the inside was completely renovated with the modern, high tech decor.)

[en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 25, 2022 15:16

1966 that features The Yardbirds and Peter Jay and the New Jaywalkers in the package starts from the Royal Albert Hall, London, on 23 September, goes around 12 locations. Ipswich is the 8th stop. They play two sets everyday.

Jimmy didn’t see Terry Reid’s performance before Ipswich? Hard to believe it even if it’s feasible. Birth of yet another urban legend?

(BTW as I mentioned in the Elvis Costello thread, I recently saw EC and The Imposters at Ipswich Regent that is the renamed Gaumont. Like many other music halls in Britain, the inside was completely renovated with the modern, high tech decor.)

[en.wikipedia.org][/quote]

This is surely one of holy grails of rock music: a recording of the Beck-Page, dual-guitar lineup of the Yardbirds. One has to wonder whether there is, somewhere, a recording. All we have is a mimed performance and a French performance that features Page on bass. Oh, there’s Blow-Up, I suppose.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 25, 2022 15:25

There are some Terry Reid shows from the 90’s with Mick Taylor on lead guitar for the entire set. Well worth seeking out.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 26, 2022 02:45

I would buy any such recording, just to make my Stones opening acts from '69 recordings complete. I mean, we have BB and Ike & Tina, let's complete the foursome!

plexi

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1679
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home