Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Loved vs not loved songs
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 22, 2019 15:14

Why is ___________ so loved, but ___________is not?

I'll start.

Why is "Moon Is Up" so loved, but "Brand New Car" is not?

Either answer or pose your own question.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-23 15:05 by bv.

Re: Why is ___________ so loved, but ___________is not?
Date: October 22, 2019 15:17

Brilliant premise.
But I immediately assumed this was a 'why is Keith loved, and Mick hated' post?

Date: October 22, 2019 15:20

Palace Revolution 2000
Brilliant premise.

Wouldn't want to open that can of worms. Best keep it to songs! cool smiley

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 22, 2019 16:04

but...but...isn't that what "Moon is Up" is about?

As to your question, I love the Stones (and the solo Glimmers) in the 1990s. I'll forgive crying sharks and Biz Markie samples given the quality of what was produced.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 22, 2019 16:06

its a mystery wrapped up in an enigma

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: October 22, 2019 16:24

"Brand New Car" has a great groove and is VERY loved by me (this version in particular: [www.youtube.com], which is basically a Glimmer Twins duet). "Slinky, Panthaaaaa" - love Keef's vocal stylings thumbs up

No love whatsoever for Moon Is Up - quite forgettable, IMO. I have no clue as to why Brand New Car would be "out-loved" by it.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 22, 2019 16:28

Plink
"Brand New Car" has a great groove and is VERY loved by me (this version in particular: [www.youtube.com], which is basically a Glimmer Twins duet). "Slinky, Panthaaaaa" - love Keef's vocal stylings thumbs up

No love whatsoever for Moon Is Up - quite forgettable, IMO. I have no clue as to why Brand New Car would be "out-loved" by it.

I used to like Moon more, but Brand New Car is now one of my favorites on the album. Agree on the great groove, Mick's singing is great, and I love the sax!

Moon is Up is still one of my favorites from the album as well, just a notch below Brand New Car.

Date: October 22, 2019 17:07

Plink

I agree.

BTW, this could be any songs you think might apply, not just these 2.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 22, 2019 18:53

brand new car was always my 2nd fave on the album

sounds like early stones blues.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 22, 2019 20:36

Brand New Car ….
Always been me fave offa Voodoo ..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 23, 2019 00:25

I go Wild, Brand New Car , OOT, YGNMR,

Great album Great Stage , Great Tour , Colors everything about that Stones's period is great!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 23, 2019 02:09

Palace Revolution 2000
Brilliant premise.

I was thinking about Ronnie and Mick Taylor smoking smiley

Date: October 23, 2019 02:29

Why is Wild Horses so loved, but Angie is not?

I think they're both fantastic.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 23, 2019 05:21

….both Stones classics …. who doesn't love Angie ???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 23, 2019 10:10

Why is Gimme Shelter so loved but Gomper not ?...

...no ...forget it . I remember now.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: October 23, 2019 10:44

Well, I think I need a longer warm up to this thread.
Could be interesting.
But releated to songs - how should the answers be like??
Songs are all about indidual sentiments.
How one can explain why some people here don't like Angie?
Taste of people is unpredictable like the weather.
Example we all know from tours:
Why is that I am at a Stones show and really have the best time of the year so far and the guy right beside me is standing there like a pillar of salt looking as he is at a funeral?
Well I don't know. And I don't want to think about it. I step a few inches away from him and better invest all my attention to that steaming band in front of me.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 23, 2019 11:27

Try this one:

Why is "Midnight Rambler" so loved, but "Goin' Home" is not.

Not by many posters, it seems. It puzzles me.

Edit: Correction of one writing error that I don't understand how I made.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-23 14:01 by Witness.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 23, 2019 12:11

Witness
Try this one:

Not but many posters, it seems. It puzzles me.

Because Rambler is great and scary and has several changes, and also performed live in even better versions, but Goin Home is a way too long "whistle song", one of them happy little tunes one could whistle while walking the dog or something, like Yellow Submarine or Proud Mary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-23 12:16 by Erik_Snow.

Date: October 23, 2019 12:26

Elmo Lewis
I'll start.

Why is "Moon Is Up" so loved, but "Brand New Car" is not?

IMO; Because "Brand New Car" is so predictable when it comes to both lyrics and music, while "Moon Is Up" is something one (at least me) pay attention to, everytime I hear it, also it has a very different soundscape compared to the typical 1989-2017 Rolling Stones

smiling smileyRe: Why is ___________ so loved, but ___________is not?
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 23, 2019 13:33

I assumed it would be we love Mick Taylor , but not Ronnie Wood . which I love them both dearly and they can Rock me anytime they want and bring there Fingerprint File as well . I love all the Rolling Stones from Keith and Brian to Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood

Date: October 23, 2019 14:24

Erik_Snow
Witness
Try this one:

Because Rambler is great and scary and has several changes, and also performed live in even better versions, but Goin Home is a way too long "whistle song", one of them happy little tunes one could whistle while walking the dog or something, like Yellow Submarine or Proud Mary

I don't agree. "Goin' Home" is of course not made to be scary. But I see it as one song that still contributes quite much to define "AFTERMATH" as album at the transitional moment that the Stones enter the phase in their development, when they create "progressive pop music", with this song's longlasting nod back to the R&B band that they started out as. And to me AFTERMATH is one of their approximately twelve great studio albums. Your terms "happy little tunes" and "whistle song" seem to indicate that you do not hold that phase of theirs in any high esteem, but rather like I would think about "Start Me Up" or something like that. Very well, that is your privilege.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-23 14:25 by Witness.

Date: October 23, 2019 14:50

Going Home (live 1967). I'd say both are great thumbs up

[youtu.be]

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: October 23, 2019 15:05

Emotional Rescue, and Emotional Rescue.

Date: October 23, 2019 19:17

Witness
Erik_Snow
Witness
Try this one:

I don't agree. "Goin' Home" is of course not made to be scary. But I see it as one song that still contributes quite much to define "AFTERMATH" as album at the transitional moment that the Stones enter the phase in their development, when they create "progressive pop music", with this song's longlasting nod back to the R&B band that they started out as. And to me AFTERMATH is one of their approximately twelve great studio albums. Your terms "happy little tunes" and "whistle song" seem to indicate that you do not hold that phase of theirs in any high esteem, but rather like I would think about "Start Me Up" or something like that. Very well, that is your privilege.

Well, it's *not* your privilege to presume what other posters "indicate" with their opinions on a particular issue/song which you very often do, as if you were a psychiatrist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-23 19:32 by Erik_Snow.

Date: October 23, 2019 19:19

DandelionPowderman
Going Home (live 1967). I'd say both are great thumbs up

[youtu.be]

The shorter and sharper 1967 versions had much more life to them, I agree. Not that I would compare it with Rambler in anyway, lol, but I know that's not what you meant

Date: October 23, 2019 19:35

Erik_Snow
Witness
Erik_Snow
Witness
Try this one:

Well, it's *not* your privilege to presume what other posters "indicate" with their opinions on a particular issue/song which you very often do, as if you were a psychiatrist.

Good ol' norwegian bickering. Come on, mates, we're all kompiser here smiling smiley

Date: October 23, 2019 21:04

Erik_Snow
Witness
Erik_Snow
Witness
Try this one:

If what I presumed, was wrong, I apologize. Feel free to say something in praise that show your high opinion of "the progressive pop" phase of the Rolling Stones.

Besides, if what you state is what I am understood usually to do now in unprovoked situations on the part of many posters and readers, obviously I need to take a critical view on my way of writing.

Date: October 23, 2019 21:15

oh don't take it so hard, we're just posting on a message board, let's be friends

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-23 21:29 by Erik_Snow.

Re: Loved vs not loved songs
Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: October 23, 2019 21:29

why is "almost hear you sigh" loved and "indian girl" not loved???

why is "shattered" loved and "toomuch blood" not loved?

Re: Loved vs not loved songs
Date: October 23, 2019 21:35

Indian Girl was my favorite song on ER when it came out. Ditto Almost on SW.

I think Shattered is a unique (and cool) song in the Stones canon.

Blood was just a little too .... I don't know the word.... maybe disco-y for my taste. The rap at the end was, errr, interesting though. Would love to hear the long, obscene version of the rap....

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1252
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home