Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Collection Management Software - Recommendations Please
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 4, 2019 23:42

ozstonesfan
Hi Matt

Have a look at Collectorz.com. It is subscription based but they have various products for different types of collections e.g music,movies,books and comics etc.

Provides a software database and synced cloud based option with apps that enable you to have your collection on the move. You can also export data into Excel etc.

The biggest issue is of course data entry but the basics can be outsourced as long as you can find someone who has time and is motivated enough by money to sit in a chair for a few hours a day!

Cheers
Andrew

I use their stuff and it simply does not cut it for the sort of things Matt has.

Matt knows that I have the view that he needs to hire a PROFESSIONAL ARCHIVIST to look after his stuff. Such a person will be able to both properly assess the right cataloguing software, and will be able to correctly supervise the question of storage and preservation.

In case anyone thinks that I have double standards, I regularly say exactly the same thing to Wyman.

These collections are way out of scale for even the most enthusiastic of amateurs.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 4, 2019 23:45

ozstonesfan

Have a look at Collectorz.com.

See Matt's post: [iorr.org] .

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: November 5, 2019 02:13

I just need much more flexibility of format... I am not really a vinyl collector but I do have most of the essential vinyl items like, the IBC 5 track acetate (one of the real ones!), the Decca White Label Promotional Album (unboxed) and Street Fighting Man US Picture Sleeve, also a bunch of No.1 Limited 7"'s etc... and these are relatively easy to do in basic music software but the problem comes when you try to add 14 copies of a poster in varying conditions, a signed, sealed and open copies of items, letters, band worn clothing, passes, party invites, a Ronnie diamond earring, a fax from Keith etc... etc... I need to retire before this is practical to actually do, part of the problem is a lot of stuff only I know where it came from or what the relevance is.

Posted by: ozstonesfan ()
Date: November 5, 2019 12:18

Hi Matt

Have a think about buying a media server with synced cloud storage. Map out a classification hierarchy then consider filming yourself taking about the items. The advantage of this approach is you will add facts to the video that you will never add to any database which you will find valuable in later years.

Cheers
Andrew

Date: November 5, 2019 13:58

At first I was thinking like ironbelly, until I saw who was asking.
What BV suggests makes sense.

What I would look into Matt, is a software that takes entries, and is able to file and organize it then, not only from written info, but also scans, pictures, and spoken word. With the volume of stuff you have, plus the wildly different type of media you are entering, you could do a lot of this on the run.
You'd need someone to set it up .

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1705
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home