Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: OT: And The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame 2020 Nominees Are ....
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 15, 2020 19:55

RollingFreak
keefriff99
I don't have a problem with who got in. Just pisses me off that they're so anti-heavy metal. Motorhead and Judas Priest absolutely deserve to be in.

People like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden deserve it way more than Doobie Brothers or even T Rex, who I love but come on, T Rex?! Sorry, this is scraping the bottom of the barrel when there are still acts who actually deserve it.

The only one I think is deserving is Nine Inch Nails and I'm not even a fan of them.
I dunno, T Rex were super influential on the glam scene. I would think T Rex and the New York Dolls should both be in.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 15, 2020 19:57

T.Rex and Doobies fully deserve it, but would have liked to see Motorhead who deserve it even more. And Judas Priest should be in.
Nine Inch Nails and Depeche Mode might deserve it based on their influence over the last few decades, but I personally wouldn't allow it until Jethro Tull and J. Geils Band are in.
Whitney and Notorius BIG are very questionable, but the Hall is a complete joke. Soundgarden should be in.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: January 15, 2020 19:58

Whitney Houston isn't even in the barrel. Same with Notorious BIG. Karl Denson's Tiny Universe is more worthy.

Date: January 15, 2020 20:05

I've given up complaining about rappers and pop stars being inducted. I like most classic hip hop acts anyway, even though they don't technically belong there based on the NAME OF THE INSTITUTION.

Maybe change the name of the Hall to the "Modern Music Hall of Fame"? That sounds dumb, but it would be a more accurate description of what the Hall has morphed into.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 15, 2020 20:06

keefriff99
RollingFreak
keefriff99
I don't have a problem with who got in. Just pisses me off that they're so anti-heavy metal. Motorhead and Judas Priest absolutely deserve to be in.

People like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden deserve it way more than Doobie Brothers or even T Rex, who I love but come on, T Rex?! Sorry, this is scraping the bottom of the barrel when there are still acts who actually deserve it.

The only one I think is deserving is Nine Inch Nails and I'm not even a fan of them.
I dunno, T Rex were super influential on the glam scene. I would think T Rex and the New York Dolls should both be in.

I'd say the New York Dolls would be in. I don't know, I love The Slider but I just don't see him as an all timer. He's amazing, but I wouldn't stack him up against Zeppelin and the Stones, etc. Guys like the New York Dolls or the MC5 I don't think are as good as those guys either, but I think they are definitely as influential and that would make them deserving. I know T Rex is important to the glam scene but I don't know, just doesn't seem on their level. I absolutely want him in over rap or pop acts, but I just think unbiased he wasn't influential enough to get in. Maybe thats just me.

I'll never truly think Jethro Tull deserves to be, again despite being big fans of theirs, but even they are far more deserving than this crop. Some of the snubs are just so completely personal at this point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-15 20:08 by RollingFreak.

Date: January 15, 2020 20:06

daspyknows
Whitney Houston isn't even in the barrel.
She had one of the most incredible voices in the history of pop music. That counts for something.

Date: January 15, 2020 20:14

keefriff99
daspyknows
She had one of the most incredible voices in the history of pop music. That counts for something.

It doesn't really count for anything in a Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame though. As you mentioned, they should just rebrand it as the Pop Hall Of Fame at this point, and until they do it does seem laughable that rap people or people like Whitney Houston are considered. Some rap acts transcended, most did it, and regardless of their name and talent I wouldn't merit them in this hall.

They keep it as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame because it sounds cooler. If you ditched that name, its basically just the Grammys, which is what they never wanted to be. These people that don't belong like Janet Jackson and others actually prefer that it is this name. Represents more crossover and I think it makes them feel more accomplished. They are accomplished in their own right, nothing against them, but many don't belong in this Hall. The place really went off the rails around 2005, and now its just ridiculous.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 15, 2020 20:14

If the Hall of Fame were not so U.S. centric, T.Rex may have been inducted already. Bolan wrote such infectious rock and pop. He was probably Bowie’s closest competitor in the early 70’s.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: January 15, 2020 20:19

Whitney Houston & the notorious BiG are deemed more rock n roll than Motörhead & Thin Lizzy! The Sex Pistols took the right approach to this institution.

Date: January 15, 2020 20:22

Big Al
If the Hall of Fame were not so U.S. centric, T.Rex may have been inducted already. Bolan wrote such infectious rock and pop. He was probably Bowie’s closest competitor in the early 70’s.

thumbs up

And Jethro Tull would have already been in as well - a looong time ago, and deservedly so.
Without them and countless other bands who deserve to be in, the Hall of Fame has no credibility.

Date: January 15, 2020 20:43

RollingFreak
keefriff99
daspyknows

It doesn't really count for anything in a Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame though. As you mentioned, they should just rebrand it as the Pop Hall Of Fame at this point, and until they do it does seem laughable that rap people or people like Whitney Houston are considered. Some rap acts transcended, most did it, and regardless of their name and talent I wouldn't merit them in this hall.

They keep it as the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame because it sounds cooler. If you ditched that name, its basically just the Grammys, which is what they never wanted to be. These people that don't belong like Janet Jackson and others actually prefer that it is this name. Represents more crossover and I think it makes them feel more accomplished. They are accomplished in their own right, nothing against them, but many don't belong in this Hall. The place really went off the rails around 2005, and now its just ridiculous.
That's a good point. Even after almost 70 years, the term "rock'n'roll" still has a COOL factor to it. I'm sure a lot of these traditionally non-rock inductees like having that currency attached to their names.

Date: January 15, 2020 20:48

Here's an interesting site detailing who's on the nominating committee every year:

[www.futurerocklegends.com]

Jann Wenner hasn't technically been on the committee since 2006, although I'm sure he obviously still has a lot of sway.

It's not a bad list of people honestly...surprised their choices aren't better given names like:

Cliff Burnstein
Anthony DeCurtis
David Fricke
Dave Grohl
Jon Landau
Tom Morello
Robbie Robertson
Paul Shaffer
Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson
Steven Van Zandt

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: January 15, 2020 20:58

keefriff99
daspyknows

So did Karen Carpenter.

Posted by: 1985jayer ()
Date: January 15, 2020 21:09

I am a bit sad by all these negative comments about a museum dedicated to music. Yes, some artists should be in and some should not, but its about music. Country, rock, rap, pop, heavy metal, etc.....We all love music right? Hope Depeche Mode invite Vince and Allan to the ceremony, that would be special. I love the museum, been there 3 times over 15 years. One of my fav moments was the John Lennon exhibit. It had amazing artifacts, some never seen before and at the end was the glasses he was wearing when he was shot, yes morbid as hell but they even had the blood stains still on it. Never forget the feeling looking at those glasses. Peace, love and music everyone. See ya on the Pits this summer...

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 15, 2020 21:17

Here's my vote:
Motörhead
Judas Priest
Pat Benetar
Whitney houston
MC5

Date: January 15, 2020 21:24

keefriff99
Here's an interesting site detailing who's on the nominating committee every year:

Jann Wenner hasn't technically been on the committee since 2006, although I'm sure he obviously still has a lot of sway.

It's not a bad list of people honestly...surprised their choices aren't better given names like:

Cliff Burnstein
Anthony DeCurtis
David Fricke
Dave Grohl
Jon Landau
Tom Morello
Robbie Robertson
Paul Shaffer
Steven Van Zandt

Its a great list of people, that should be well rounded and knowledgeable. The only name I'd really see missing there is maybe someone like Lenny Kaye, although I guess if we're talking about deserving people he's more an underground one hit wonder guy.

Its a solid list of people, and yeah it baffles me year in and year out how its not a better selection. I always think there must be more to that than just those people's opinions. Cause I don't know who in that group is nominating and voting for Whitney Houston, just saying. Or Notorious BIG for that matter.

Date: January 15, 2020 21:28

RollingFreak
keefriff99

Cliff Burnstein
Anthony DeCurtis
David Fricke
Dave Grohl
Jon Landau
Tom Morello
Robbie Robertson
Paul Shaffer
Steven Van Zandt

Its a great list of people, that should be well rounded and knowledgeable. The only name I'd really see missing there is maybe someone like Lenny Kaye, although I guess if we're talking about deserving people he's more an underground one hit wonder guy.

Its a solid list of people, and yeah it baffles me year in and year out how its not a better selection. I always think there must be more to that than just those people's opinions. Cause I don't know who in that group is nominating and voting for Whitney Houston, just saying. Or Notorious BIG for that matter.
Lenny Kaye is there too...I just picked out the people who I recognized. This is the full list:

Sandy Alouete
James Bernard
Nathan Brackett
Cliff Burnstein
Anthony DeCurtis
Reginald C. Dennis
David Dorn
Bill Flanagan
David Fricke
Elysa Gardner
Holly George-Warren
Meg Griffin
Dave Grohl
Greg Harris
Mike Kaufman
Lenny Kaye
Rick Krim
Jon Landau
Alan Light
Rob Light
Amy Linden
Tom Morello
Amanda Petrusich
Robbie Robertson
Paul Shaffer
Seymour Stein
John Sykes
Steven Van Zandt

Date: January 15, 2020 21:30

And I'm assuming that's not the John Sykes from Whitesnake, lol.

Date: January 15, 2020 22:42

David Fricke.... He was out of touch 25 years ago. I remember seeing a clip of him talking about the death of Cobain when it happened and said how he was John Lennon of this generation.

Piss off. If you make that comparison, you didn’t get it. (I know Lennon was an influence, but Nirvana were not the Beatles, never sounded like the Beatles and may have liked them, but came from a different position musically)

I’m old now I guess, hit 40 over the new year, but I hate when old people view shot through their own lense. I get it’s impossible to hear songs like Smells like teen Spirit (Boston more than a feeling), or Cigarettes & Alcohol (T Tex - Get it on) and not hear the influences.

But standing in front of both those bands at their peak no one cared. They were still good tunes and belonged to the youth of the day.

Piss of David Fricke with your daft hippy nonsense.

Rant over

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: January 15, 2020 22:59

Who are these people on 'the comittee' anyway, and what did they do to get on it?

Date: January 16, 2020 00:00

They got there by blowing Jan Wenner. I'm surprised Cameron Crowe isn't on there.

As for David Fricke, yeah he's an ass kisser now but that seems like a really weird reason not to like him. 1. because thats an observation many have made. 2. Because its not altogether incorrect. He is in what most people would probably consider top 5 significant musical deaths since Lennon, whether you liked Nirvana or not. He was that kind of person to many at that time.

I hate what he's become but thats a minor thing you seem to be blowing up.

Date: January 16, 2020 02:54

RollingFreak
They got there by blowing Jan Wenner. I'm surprised Cameron Crowe isn't on there.

As for David Fricke, yeah he's an ass kisser now but that seems like a really weird reason not to like him. 1. because thats an observation many have made. 2. Because its not altogether incorrect. He is in what most people would probably consider top 5 significant musical deaths since Lennon, whether you liked Nirvana or not. He was that kind of person to many at that time.

Yeah it was hugely significant musical death, but Cobain was my generations Kurt Cobain.. Not the John Lennon of the 90s. It’s a minor thing for sure, but 20 odd years of reading interviews re Nirvana with Fricke, he mentions almost each interview the Lennon Cobain comparison.

Cobain and Nirvana were NEVER The Beatles and John Lennon. Fricke himself puts him there. Not as a significant loss of talent, but used the actual “John Lennon of our Generation” Two different messages , I wonder if Lennon might have looked down on Nirvana even?

I dunno, guy bugs me. I let it out here. I apologize. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-16 02:56 by Paddy.

Date: January 16, 2020 03:26

Agree Paddy - Cobain was great, but he was no John Lennon.
And with Nirvana having only three proper studio albums - with the first (Bleach) going practically unnoticed initially and not even charting- the amount and quality of work just isn't there.
Their third and last album (In Utero) wasn't even as good as Nevermind imo, so basically they made a loud bang with just one album. In fact I could pick the best tracks off all three albums and make just one that's great from start to finish.
Hard to imagine/speculate what might have happened had he decided to live, but would have been hard to keep up the high standard of the impact that was already done. Cobain was great, but no John Lennon, and he'd probably be the first to agree.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-16 03:28 by Hairball.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: January 16, 2020 03:49

keefriff99
I've given up complaining about rappers and pop stars being inducted. I like most classic hip hop acts anyway, even though they don't technically belong there based on the NAME OF THE INSTITUTION.

Maybe change the name of the Hall to the "Modern Music Hall of Fame"? That sounds dumb, but it would be a more accurate description of what the Hall has morphed into.

I think about this too. And I guess in theory I'm OK with it including 'non-rock acts'. And we all have our pet peeves, but OK, so B.I.G. and Whitney are in there before, Oh...Willie Nelson for starters?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 16, 2020 04:31

If it was up to me:

Pat Benatar
Dave Matthews Band
Depeche Mode
The Doobie Brothers
Whitney Houston
Judas Priest
Kraftwerk
MC5
Motörhead
Nine Inch Nails
The Notorious B.I.G.
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
Todd Rundgren
Soundgarden
T.Rex
Thin Lizzy

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 16, 2020 08:03

DEmerson
keefriff99

I think about this too. And I guess in theory I'm OK with it including 'non-rock acts'. And we all have our pet peeves, but OK, so B.I.G. and Whitney are in there before, Oh...Willie Nelson for starters?

I think the problem with changing the name to the Modern Music hall of Fame (or Contemporary, or whatever) is that it would then have to include classical music, which is a huge genre with all sorts of subgenres, and it would turn into a completely different and unmanageable institution. (And also, jazz, of course, same problem.)

Date: January 16, 2020 08:20

Paddy
RollingFreak

Yeah it was hugely significant musical death, but Cobain was my generations Kurt Cobain.. Not the John Lennon of the 90s. It’s a minor thing for sure, but 20 odd years of reading interviews re Nirvana with Fricke, he mentions almost each interview the Lennon Cobain comparison.

Cobain and Nirvana were NEVER The Beatles and John Lennon. Fricke himself puts him there. Not as a significant loss of talent, but used the actual “John Lennon of our Generation” Two different messages , I wonder if Lennon might have looked down on Nirvana even?

We agree to disagree. Its what makes horse races! A new day is dawning. Although now I just like playing into it lol, even though I too don't agree with it.

[www.irishtimes.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-16 08:28 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 16, 2020 14:28

Depeche Mode....Whitney Houston.... really ?????????????

Where the heck is the J Geils Band ?????

Even the Monkees deserve a shot before Whitney Houston.

Date: January 16, 2020 15:23

Paddy
RollingFreak

I'm the same age as you and I can remember girls crying in high school when the news was announced. It was a huge event even though I wasn't a big Nirvana fan at the time.

I don't think Fricke is way off in his analogy. No one is claiming that Nirvana was as big as the Beatles...no one WOULD ever make a claim like that. He was simply saying that it was a major artistic death for that generation.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 16, 2020 15:24

Who's next? Vanilla Ice? MC Hammer? Barry Manilow?

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1454
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home