Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: OT: And The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame 2020 Nominees Are ....
Posted by: Meise ()
Date: October 21, 2019 08:22

What the hell have
Pat Benatar
Depeche Mode
Whitney Houston
Kraftwerk
MC5

to do with Rock'n'Roll?

The whole damn ceremony should be renamed to "Pop music hall of fame".

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: October 21, 2019 10:13

Meise
What the hell have
Pat Benatar
Depeche Mode
Whitney Houston
Kraftwerk
MC5

to do with Rock'n'Roll?

MC5 have everything to do with RnR, Kick out the Jams album is one of the most influential hard rock LP's ever made as well as the title song being a RnR anthem.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-21 12:07 by Ket.

OT: Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame 2020 Nominees
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 21, 2019 15:57

Official Fan Vote Leaderboard

The top five artists, as selected by the public, will comprise a "fans' ballot" that will be tallied along with the other ballots to choose the 2020 inductees.

You can visit www.rockhall.com/vote to cast a ballot daily. Fans will need to login to vote. Voting is capped at one ballot per day.

Current top five:

Pat Benatar
The Doobie Brothers
Soundgarden
Depeche Mode
Judas Priest

[www.rockhall.com]

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 21, 2019 16:18

Paddy
DGA35
Paddy
keefriff99
I'll put the Lemmy/Campbell/Dee (or Lemmy/Campbell/Wurzel/Dee) lineup up against the "classic" Lemmy/Eddie/Philthy lineup any day.

They released so many killer albums between 1993 and 2015 (Bastards, Sacrifice, Overnight Sensation, We Are Motorhead, Hammered, Inferno, Kiss of Death, Motorizer, Aftershock) that get little to no recognition. All anyone wants to hear is Ace of Spades and Overkill.

I’m with you on that, all this albums stand up against the classics. Sacrifice, 1916, bastards, overnight sensation etc, all have great tunes on them. It’s a shame they’re not in. They spent more Time in and released more material with Motörhead than the “classic” lineup.

I didn't follow Motorhead after the mid 80s. Hey Paddy, I saw them in 1982 at the Kerrisdale Arena w/Krokus and Fist. Got autographs at Kellys record store downtown before the show. It was the first show with Brian Robertson, who replaced Fast Eddie a couple weeks prior although no one knew. That would be the last concert ever at Kerrisdale, which I read on the Georgia Straight website. Motorhead played there in 81 when they opened for Ozzy on the Blizzard tour.

That’s petty cool!! Was Robbo wearing the infamous “shorts” that night grinning smiley
Each time I saw Motörhead, my ears would ring for the next 2 days. I loved that band live. It was just FORCE and a great time. Loud fast rock n roll.
I saw Motorhead quite a few times between 2002 and 2012, and was lucky enough to meet and get photos with Lemmy, Phil and Mikkey at several shows...all three were super nice.

They're the only band I used to wear earplugs for, although I usually took them out for the encore.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 21, 2019 18:38

Ket
Meise
What the hell have
Pat Benatar
Depeche Mode
Whitney Houston
Kraftwerk
MC5

to do with Rock'n'Roll?

MC5 have everything to do with RnR, Kick out the Jams album is one of the most influential hard rock LP's ever made as well as the title song being a RnR anthem.

Brothers and Sisters
I wanna see a sea of hands out there.
Let me see a sea of hands.
I want everybody to kick up some noise.
I wanna hear some revolution out there, brothers
I wanna hear a little revolution.
Brothers and sisters, the time has come
For each and every one of you to decide
Whether you are gonna be the problem,
Or whether you are gonna be the solution.
You must choose, brothers, you must choose.
It takes 5 seconds, 5 seconds of decision.
Five seconds to realize that it's time to move.
It's time to get down with it.
Brothers, it's time to testify and I want to know,
Are you ready to testify?
Are you ready?
I GIVE YOU A TESTIMONIAL, THE MC5 !!!!'

The MC5 are pure 100% rock n roll.

Date: October 21, 2019 19:14

Meise
What the hell have
Pat Benatar
Depeche Mode
Whitney Houston
Kraftwerk
MC5

to do with Rock'n'Roll?

what do the MC5 have to do with rock n roll? confused smiley

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 21, 2019 19:23

It would be great if Motörhead and MC5 are in the Rock And Hall Of Fame

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 21, 2019 20:21

I'm not arguing against Motorhead going in. Although I think MC5 have more reason, and its mainly just for one reason. EVERYONE cites that Kick Out The Jams album as an influence. This is not a knock to their catalogues, but are both bands essentially one hit wonders? Kinda. I don't think that precludes them but I think that should factor into it. And IMO, MC5 have more merit because of the influence factor. Motorhead are great, I think they belong in, but I don't usually hear them cited as an influence by many bands. Just a lot of people like them.

Date: October 21, 2019 20:31

RollingFreak
I'm not arguing against Motorhead going in. Although I think MC5 have more reason, and its mainly just for one reason. EVERYONE cites that Kick Out The Jams album as an influence. This is not a knock to their catalogues, but are both bands essentially one hit wonders? Kinda. I don't think that precludes them but I think that should factor into it. And IMO, MC5 have more merit because of the influence factor. Motorhead are great, I think they belong in, but I don't usually hear them cited as an influence by many bands. Just a lot of people like them.

As Metallica’s Lars Ulrich said to Rolling Stone following Lemmy’s death: “I got introduced to Motörhead’s music in 1979, when Overkill came out. I’d never heard anything like that in my life. The subsequent ride that this music took me on was to a place I’d never been. So when I say that Lemmy is the primary reason I’m in a band, and that Metallica exists because of him, it’s no cheap exaggeration.”

Date: October 21, 2019 20:45

runaway
RollingFreak

As Metallica’s Lars Ulrich said to Rolling Stone following Lemmy’s death: “I got introduced to Motörhead’s music in 1979, when Overkill came out. I’d never heard anything like that in my life. The subsequent ride that this music took me on was to a place I’d never been. So when I say that Lemmy is the primary reason I’m in a band, and that Metallica exists because of him, it’s no cheap exaggeration.”

yup members of metallica, overkill, megadeth, slayer, exodus, twisted sister, etc have all cited motorhead as an influence

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 21, 2019 20:58

runaway
RollingFreak

thumbs up

MEGADETH's DAVE MUSTAINE: 'MOTÖRHEAD Influenced So Many People'

Motorhead

How Motörhead influenced heavy music

Motorhead 2

How Motörhead influenced extreme metal

Motorhead 3

Dave Grohl:

“Many of us play rock’n’roll but a rare few among us are rock’n’roll. Lemmy was rock’n’roll. He was a rebel, an outsider, one of a kind, and a way of life. He was Motorhead. He was a legend and I was proud to call him my friend. I have an ‘Ace Of Spades’ tattoo, but the truth is that Lemmy left us mark on me a long, long time ago. As Lemmy told us in the song ‘Ace Of Spades’, the pleasure is to play. I’d like to thank Lemmy and the late Phil ‘Philthy Animal’ Taylor for their music and everything it meant for Motorhead.”

Dave Grohl eulogy for Lemmy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-21 20:58 by Hairball.

Date: October 21, 2019 20:59

keefriffhard4life
runaway
RollingFreak

yup members of metallica, overkill, megadeth, slayer, exodus, twisted sister, etc have all cited motorhead as an influence

Yup,exactly

Date: October 21, 2019 20:59

keefriffhard4life
runaway
RollingFreak

And many more.

Date: October 21, 2019 21:20

Lemmy deserves to be in the Hall of Fame simply for being one of the most unforgettable and enduring people in the history of rock. He's instantly recognizable from a physical standpoint, and the silhouette of him standing at the upturned mic wielding his Rickenbacker is iconic.

He was one of the best interviews in music and had one of the sharpest, wittiest, and most eloquent minds even while hopped up on methamphetamine and guzzling Jack and coke.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: October 21, 2019 22:01

I think that the criterium shouldnt be just being CITED BY other bands as an influence, but more, HAVING BEEN, or BEING an influence on other bands. I know bands who don't acknowledge their influences wholeheartedly, so it's important that others CAN spot the influence.

Date: October 22, 2019 00:57

Fair enough. I hadn't heard it. Then yeah, I think they fit the bill. Not against them going in at all, just thought MC5 had way more influence.

Definitely heard Lars say the same about Deep Purple though, so I do find that funny lol.

Date: October 22, 2019 01:56

SomeGuy
I think that the criterium shouldnt be just being CITED BY other bands as an influence, but more, HAVING BEEN, or BEING an influence on other bands. I know bands who don't acknowledge their influences wholeheartedly, so it's important that others CAN spot the influence.

Back in the day c. '79- '81 when I was in High School, Lemmy and Motorhead influenced the way my friends and I partied! eye popping smileygrinning smiley
Damage Case

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 22, 2019 04:02

Hairball
SomeGuy

Back in the day c. '79- '81 when I was in High School, Lemmy and Motorhead influenced the way my friends and I partied! eye popping smileygrinning smiley
Damage Case

Hairball...............

[www.youtube.com]

Are these guys in the Hall? I'm too lazy to look.

Date: October 22, 2019 04:14

shattered
Hairball
SomeGuy

Damage Case

Hairball...............

[www.youtube.com]

I don't know shattered, but they damn well should be.
Probably not, but whatever...I'm Not Gonna Let It Bother Me Tonight...

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: October 22, 2019 04:19

Paddy
Ket
Meise
What the hell have
Pat Benatar
Depeche Mode
Whitney Houston
Kraftwerk
MC5

to do with Rock'n'Roll?

Brothers and Sisters
I wanna see a sea of hands out there.
Let me see a sea of hands.
I want everybody to kick up some noise.
I wanna hear some revolution out there, brothers
I wanna hear a little revolution.
Brothers and sisters, the time has come
For each and every one of you to decide
Whether you are gonna be the problem,
Or whether you are gonna be the solution.
You must choose, brothers, you must choose.
It takes 5 seconds, 5 seconds of decision.
Five seconds to realize that it's time to move.
It's time to get down with it.
Brothers, it's time to testify and I want to know,
Are you ready to testify?
Are you ready?
I GIVE YOU A TESTIMONIAL, THE MC5 !!!!'

The MC5 are pure 100% rock n roll.

Yep

Date: October 22, 2019 04:25

Hairball
shattered
Hairball
SomeGuy

Damage Case

Hairball...............

[www.youtube.com]

I know you know..............

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 22, 2019 04:41

shattered
Hairball
shattered
Hairball
SomeGuy

Damage Case

Hairball...............

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Well shattered...with my back up against the wall, I guess I had no choice but to look it up.
As expected, sadly the answer is no, but even sadder is the fact they've never even been nominated!!!! WTF!!!

This is enough to drive me to drinkin'....Champagne Jam...winking smiley

Date: October 22, 2019 04:48

Hairball
shattered
Hairball
shattered
Hairball
SomeGuy

Damage Case

Hairball...............

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Well shattered...with my back up against the wall, I guess I had no choice but to look it up.
As expected, sadly the answer is no, but even sadder is the fact they've never even been nominated!!!! WTF!!!

This is enough to drive me to drinkin'....Champagne Jam...winking smiley

Thanks man. You saved me a tracking cookie.hot smiley

Date: October 22, 2019 05:00

I found the info. on this website shattered ---NOT in Hall of Fame --- which covers sports hall of fames as well as Rock and Roll, but it's dated 2015 so might be a bit outdated.

Don't be afraid to click - the cookies won't bite!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 22, 2019 05:28

I always thought the MC5 was creation of the rock press, which loved their dopey politics and rap sheets, but their sound was just boring white noise to most listeners.
I also subtract points for the way they self-destructed their own selves. I've talked to people from that scene who look back in regret.
I mean, I grew up listening to The Who, which was bombast and elegance, and when I read about the MC5 I was interested, but they were just awful to listen to.
Every town and city in the U.S. had garage bands like this that didn't get written up in Rolling Stone.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 15, 2020 18:19

here's the list of inductees:
Nine Inch Nails
Depeche Mode
T Rex
Doobie Brothers
Notorious BIG
Whitney Houston
Jon Landau
Irving Azoff

interesting that the fan vote had very little to do with this. the 2 biggest vote getters, Pat Benatar & Dave Matthews, didn't get in. Soundgarden got a lot of fan votes, too. personally, I'm very happy about NIN & T Rex. i don't care for them but Depeche Mode are deserving, too. Doobie Brothers: i suppose. hopefully they'll get Skunk Baxter to play with them at the ceremony. although both were huge, i don't get Notorious BIG or Whitney Houston in R & R Hall of Fame. maybe they can get the holograms for the ceremony. Jon Landau is understandable. maybe they'll get Bruce's roadies in soon. Irving Azoff may be the devil but he has been a huge influence, not in a good way most of the time. anyway, hooray for Trent Reznor. he is a visionary artist who is still pushing boundaries. hoping they get Robert Smith to induct him.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 15, 2020 18:32

A few deserving acts not in yet, but mostly scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 15, 2020 19:13

MC5

2 1 2 0

Date: January 15, 2020 19:29

I don't have a problem with who got in. Just pisses me off that they're so anti-heavy metal. Motorhead and Judas Priest absolutely deserve to be in.

Date: January 15, 2020 19:44

keefriff99
I don't have a problem with who got in. Just pisses me off that they're so anti-heavy metal. Motorhead and Judas Priest absolutely deserve to be in.

People like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden deserve it way more than Doobie Brothers or even T Rex, who I love but come on, T Rex?! Sorry, this is scraping the bottom of the barrel when there are still acts who actually deserve it.

The only one I think is deserving is Nine Inch Nails and I'm not even a fan of them.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1869
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home