Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: OT: And The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame 2020 Nominees Are ....
Date: October 17, 2019 15:23

Paddy
Can’t believe that Phil Campbell & Mikkey Dee are not part of the Motörhead nomination. Those guys were in the band almost 25 years. And great guys and players.

probably because the hall said classic lineup only

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 17, 2019 15:31

keefriffhard4life
Paddy
Can’t believe that Phil Campbell & Mikkey Dee are not part of the Motörhead nomination. Those guys were in the band almost 25 years. And great guys and players.

Robert Trujillo was inducted with Metallica despite the fact he had only recorded one album with them one year prior to their induction. There's no consistency.

The only reason is that Metallica had the industry clout to say, "We want our current bassist inducted, regardless of how little time he has been with the band."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-17 15:33 by keefriff99.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: October 17, 2019 15:51

The Doobie Brothers
Thin Lizzy
T.Rex

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: October 17, 2019 18:07

tatters
Congratulations to all 16 Nominees in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Class of 2020. Vote here for the nominees:

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2020 Nominees

Nominated in the Performer category, artists included in this year's Nominee class are:

Pat Benatar
Dave Matthews Band
Depeche Mode
The Doobie Brothers
Whitney Houston
Judas Priest
Kraftwerk
MC5
Motörhead
Nine Inch Nails
The Notorious B.I.G.
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
Todd Rundgren
Soundgarden
T.Rex
Thin Lizzy
Who gives a crap ?

Date: October 17, 2019 18:13

keefriff99
keefriffhard4life
Paddy

Robert Trujillo was inducted with Metallica despite the fact he had only recorded one album with them one year prior to their induction. There's no consistency.

The only reason is that Metallica had the industry clout to say, "We want our current bassist inducted, regardless of how little time he has been with the band."

and that's what metallica said. we want every member who appeared on an album as a player to be inducted which is why dave mustaine was left out

Date: October 17, 2019 18:35

keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
keefriffhard4life
Paddy

and that's what metallica said. we want every member who appeared on an album as a player to be inducted which is why dave mustaine was left out
So why did the Hall not allow Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer to be inducted, much to Paul's chagrin?

Current Kiss members Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer sat in the crowd near former Kiss guitarist Bruce Kulick. The Hall of Fame’s refusal to let them in, along with other former members of Kiss, incensed Stanley to no end. “I don’t need the Hall of Fame,” he recently told Rolling Stone. “And if there’s not reciprocity, I’m not interested. The Red Hot Chili Peppers, practically every member was inducted, and virtually all 175 members of the Grateful Dead. Rules need to apply to everybody.”

[www.rollingstone.com]

Trujillo is about as vital to "classic" Metallica as Thayer/Singer are to Kiss, but he gets in because Metallica have the sales and the clout to make demands, while Kiss is, rightly or wrongly, viewed as some weirdo curiosity by the HoF committee.

Date: October 17, 2019 18:58

Rocky Dijon
keefriffhard4life
tatters
keefriff99

I'd really like to know why the HoF only inducts "classic" members from CERTAIN musical acts.

I thought it was up to the band to decide which members get in.

nope, it's usually up to the hall.

I don't think the Hall picked Ian Stewart to honor as a Rolling Stone. I imagine the Hall gives the band a list of inductees and the band accepts or not.

Dire Straits took the original line-up and added the two keyboard players who joined in 1981 and 1984, respectively but ignored everyone else who was ever a member (Hal Lindes, Terry Williams, Jack Sonni, Phil Palmer, Paul Franklin, etc.).

The Kinks stuck with the original line-up only and ignored John Dalton, John Gosling, Jim Rodford, Ian Gibbons, and Bob Henrit which was a horrible slap in the face to those five musicians who recorded and toured as full band members.

Blondie included everyone from the 1970s and 1980s lineups in the induction but would only let current members perform at the induction.

I'm sure there are other examples. Reasons are complex. Politics, rivalries, and the like all influence these decisions. I'd love to blame it all on the Hall, but I don't think it's that simple.

cool smiley, the Blondie ceremony was embarrassing.

Date: October 17, 2019 19:09

I'm just looking for consistency here.

It seems some bands are gifted with several lineups worth of members inducted, while others are told "we're only inducting the 'classic' lineup of your band, so take it or leave it."

Posted by: trevormcmullin ()
Date: October 17, 2019 19:16

The "Rock And Roll" Hall of Fame is a joke, they have inducted the likes of Madonna and LL Cool J but are just getting around to nominating Motorhead? Its very evident that it is everything but a rock and roll hall of fame. Its all about money and music business politics. Mikkey Dee and Phil Campbell are the only living members of Motorhead, there is no one else left to accept the nomination or award. Last time I Watched it was when Faces were inducted in 2012, I'll never take them seriously for as long as I live.

Date: October 17, 2019 19:27

trevormcmullin
The "Rock And Roll" Hall of Fame is a joke, they have inducted the likes of Madonna and LL Cool J but are just getting around to nominating Motorhead? Its very evident that it is everything but a rock and roll hall of fame. Its all about money and music business politics. Mikkey Dee and Phil Campbell are the only living members of Motorhead, there is no one else left to accept the nomination or award. Last time I Watched it was when Faces were inducted in 2012, I'll never take them seriously for as long as I live.
True, but Pete Gill, Brian "Robbo" Robertson, and Lucas Fox are still alive as well.

Amazing...Motorhead have had 10 official members, and 5 of them are dead. That lifestyle definitely took a toll.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 17, 2019 19:30

keefriff99
I'm just looking for consistency here.

Well you certainly won't find it in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Consistency and the Hall of fame is like oil and water - they just don't mix.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 17, 2019 23:13

Thin Lizzie & Notorious B.I.G for sure!

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 18, 2019 02:43

What would a Doobie Brothers reunion look like? How many founding members are still active?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 18, 2019 04:18

keefriff99
It seems some bands are gifted with several lineups worth of members inducted, while others are told "we're only inducting the 'classic' lineup of your band, so take it or leave it."

Do we know for a fact that if the classic lineup asks for others to be included, they're sometimes told "no?" I'm only aware of inductees telling the Hall to also include the following and having the request granted. After all, the more people inducted, the more people (including their families) that buy an overpriced mediocre meal for the night. It's in their best interest to expand the lineups.

Date: October 18, 2019 05:06

Rocky Dijon
keefriff99

Do we know for a fact that if the classic lineup asks for others to be included, they're sometimes told "no?" I'm only aware of inductees telling the Hall to also include the following and having the request granted. After all, the more people inducted, the more people (including their families) that buy an overpriced mediocre meal for the night. It's in their best interest to expand the lineups.

i think kiss was told the HOF wanted just the classic lineup

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 18, 2019 05:08

keefriff99
trevormcmullin
True, but Pete Gill, Brian "Robbo" Robertson, and Lucas Fox are still alive as well.

Amazing...Motorhead have had 10 official members, and 5 of them are dead. That lifestyle definitely took a toll.

Being a fan for 26 years took its toll! Where I grew up they had a particular following of Lunatic. grinning smiley

Campbell and Dee were in Motörhead for 25 of its 40 years. I love the classic lineup a bit more. But both those guys were Motörhead to the core and made some great music as Motörhead. As good as the original lineup of Fast Eddie and Phil.

Motörhead is great garage rock band music. Ace of spades sounds killer in a shed. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 18, 2019 09:14

Being Irish, I really hope Lizzy get in. I met Phil’s Mother once, a lovey lady.

Date: October 18, 2019 14:36

Personally I like that the HOF includes all these different types of popular artists. To me rockn roll is a state of mind. And to go on about how a Rap artist, or Madonna, or Donna Summer aren't allowed to be included goes against the freedom of rockn roll..
It gives more power to the suits and radio programmers who try to tell us which music classifies as what, or falls into which category.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: October 18, 2019 15:54

Brian Robertson has the possibility of getting in twice this year with Thin Lizzy and Motorhead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-18 22:17 by boogaloojef.

Date: October 18, 2019 16:19

keefriffhard4life
Rocky Dijon
keefriff99

i think kiss was told the HOF wanted just the classic lineup
Yeah, that seems to be what Paul was saying in the quote I posted above...but other bands get members from multiple lineups inducted.

Date: October 18, 2019 16:23

boogaloojef
Brian Robertson has possibly of getting in twice this year with Thin Lizzy and Motorhead.
Unfortunately Robbo isn't eligible for induction with Motorhead, but he'll be there in spirit if Motorhead gets in.

His playing was great on Another Perfect Day, but Lemmy didn't care for his clothing choices (wearing pink shorts onstage).

Date: October 18, 2019 16:26

Paddy
keefriff99
trevormcmullin

Being a fan for 26 years took its toll! Where I grew up they had a particular following of Lunatic. grinning smiley

Campbell and Dee were in Motörhead for 25 of its 40 years. I love the classic lineup a bit more. But both those guys were Motörhead to the core and made some great music as Motörhead. As good as the original lineup of Fast Eddie and Phil.

Motörhead is great garage rock band music. Ace of spades sounds killer in a shed. tongue sticking out smiley
I'll put the Lemmy/Campbell/Dee (or Lemmy/Campbell/Wurzel/Dee) lineup up against the "classic" Lemmy/Eddie/Philthy lineup any day.

They released so many killer albums between 1993 and 2015 (Bastards, Sacrifice, Overnight Sensation, We Are Motorhead, Hammered, Inferno, Kiss of Death, Motorizer, Aftershock) that get little to no recognition. All anyone wants to hear is Ace of Spades and Overkill.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 18, 2019 16:55

The Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame plays fast and loose with the members rule based on how much sway the band has. If you're a band like KISS who are begrudgingly putting in that the Hall doesn't like, they'll pick your members. If you're Metallica or Red Hot Chili Peppers, who clearly to the Hall are still relevant and they need to kiss their ass, they let the band make the decision. Metallica said "we will not come if Robert isn't inducted", which is CRAZY, and the Hall realized they wanted the band there more than fight about members. For KISS, the Hall was like "we don't really care if you show or not. We don't want you in at all. So either you show with just these people or... thats it. There is no alternative."

Its wrong, but in most cases they make the right decisions. Its usually pretty clear who SHOULD go in. Deep Purple fans were pissed Steve Morse didn't go in with them. Deep Purple wasn't popular enough to sway the Hall. But in the end, the Hall was right. Steve was not on any of their FAMOUS albums (despite being on every album the last 30 years, some of which are very good) and thats just the way it rolls. In most cases, it should just be that classic lineup, which personally I would say is the case with Motorhead.

Date: October 18, 2019 17:43

RollingFreak
The Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame plays fast and loose with the members rule based on how much sway the band has. If you're a band like KISS who are begrudgingly putting in that the Hall doesn't like, they'll pick your members. If you're Metallica or Red Hot Chili Peppers, who clearly to the Hall are still relevant and they need to kiss their ass, they let the band make the decision. Metallica said "we will not come if Robert isn't inducted", which is CRAZY, and the Hall realized they wanted the band there more than fight about members. For KISS, the Hall was like "we don't really care if you show or not. We don't want you in at all. So either you show with just these people or... thats it. There is no alternative
Yep, that's exactly how I see the dynamic playing out.

Date: October 18, 2019 19:42

I personally thought it was strange how they inducted Pearl Jam members. They did current members plus the original drummer (cause he's the only one not in the current band). They should have included Dave Abruzzeze and Jack Irons as well, and I very much think Pearl Jam could have requested that and chose not to. I think the band still loves Jack Irons but doesn't like Dave so they didn't feel like fighting for one but then knowing you got Jack you also have to induct Dave. That was wrong of them. Its not like the Grateful Dead who are 70 members. You could have inducted all of Pearl Jam and their 3 drummers. They all contributed, but Dave should have been up there. One of the rare times I've thought Pearl Jam made a misstep. They are otherwise usually very classy.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: October 18, 2019 20:20

Palace Revolution 2000
Personally I like that the HOF includes all these different types of popular artists. To me rockn roll is a state of mind. And to go on about how a Rap artist, or Madonna, or Donna Summer aren't allowed to be included goes against the freedom of rockn roll..
It gives more power to the suits and radio programmers who try to tell us which music classifies as what, or falls into which category.

I do agree with that. That's not to say that the choices of the HoF, especially the order in which they make them, isn't a bit strange to say the least.

Date: October 18, 2019 21:30

SomeGuy
Palace Revolution 2000

I do agree with that. That's not to say that the choices of the HoF, especially the order in which they make them, isn't a bit strange to say the least.

Have to disagree. Other people SHOULD be included, but its people that I think have roots in rock and roll. Its people rock and roll artists loved and modeled themselves after. Pop is a relative term. Roy Orbison wasn't really rock, he was pop. But he of course belongs in a rock and roll hall of fame, for a number of reasons. A lot of those singing groups and blues guys obviously belong because they were massive influences on rock musicians. Yes, rock is a state of mind, but a rock and roll hall of fame is a very specific thing. They can change what they think now, but it was designed with a very specific thing in mind. Madonna should not be in a rock and roll hall of fame. Thats no slight on her as an artist or as a person, but NO ONE would categorize her as rock and no one in rock cites her as an influence. The hall was not created as a place for Madonna over say The Misfits. Thats not harboring some grudge against anyone, I think thats just the truth. The Misfits are someone that probably wouldn't get honored anywhere other than here, and are cited as a massive influence to so many bands. There are different genres in the Hall: pop, alternative, punk, etc. It doesn't have to be inclusive to genre, many people fit the bill. But also many people don't, and I believe that that includes rap and many other just clear pop singers with no relation to rock. All those people should be in a MUSIC hall Of fame, which is what the hall is, but they are too afraid to say it. And also because it being a ROCK AND ROLL Hall Of Fame is cooler. Someone like Janet Jackson I think likes being able to permeate a Rock Hall Of Fame instead of a music Hall Of Fame. But its not truly representative of their music and they know it. Its not difficult to figure out who should be in and who shouldn't. Its trickier once you get to actual talent amongst rock bands, but they turned it into a music hall of fame and are now too chickenshit (to steal from Mike Love) to just outright call it that.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: October 18, 2019 22:19

I thought Another Perfect Day was great and the other guys in the band when he was in are dead. Who decides if he is eligible? That was probably the last Motorhead album which I enjoyed much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-18 22:21 by boogaloojef.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 19, 2019 00:16

Herald Sun -- 19 October 2019

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 19, 2019 00:54

"Dave Matthews in awe of The Queen of Rock 'n' Roll, Whitney Houston."

It's as if that croaking tadpole read RollingFreak's post and said, "I have to do something to illustrate his point."

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home