Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

No more new Stones cd box sets coming, what do you think?
Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: October 14, 2019 18:56

I was wondering for the post 1969 stuff especially...

1994 Virgin remasters are long time sold out (as new) and everyone seems to think that 2009 remasters are quite horrible so there are no great cd remasters available as new at all? (except the japanese sacds of course)

The cd situtation is a little bit strange I think. For the pre 1969 stuff, of course, the situation is much better.

Do you know what masters are used for this Italian Mondadory Cd Box Set:
[www.discogs.com]

BTW, is this official box set? Only allowed to sell in Italy?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-14 19:10 by rollingon.

Re: No more new Stones cd box sets coming, what do you think?
Posted by: nick ()
Date: October 14, 2019 19:36

Virgin remasters can be found on Discogs, eBay, etc in new and used condition. There are even some good deals on those 8 Virgin "1st Collectors Edition" CD's. The 2nd batch of Japan SACD's are very good and yes while expensive, a box of those would be extremely pricey also.

I don't know what quality the Italian Box is but it's not official and Discogs won't allow any sales of it.

edit: Someone has commented in Discogs that it is an official Universal France and Abkco but I'd like to see the shiny side with that Universal hologram on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-14 19:43 by nick.

Date: October 14, 2019 19:47

nick
Virgin remasters can be found on Discogs, eBay, etc in new and used condition. There are even some good deals on those 8 Virgin "1st Collectors Edition" CD's. The 2nd batch of Japan SACD's are very good and yes while expensive, a box of those would be extremely pricey also.

I don't know what quality the Italian Box is but it's not official and Discogs won't allow any sales of it.

Yeah. It's possible to find the virgin cds in ebay etc., but it would be nice if they would release a completely new cd box set with the same quality or even better as in virgin releases. I hope someone around them is reading this thread... smiling smiley

That Italian Mondadori is a very well established company in Italy so I'm not sure if it is a normal bootleg. Italy has some special legal circumstances if I remember right... Maybe they can sell it legally but only in Italy... I read somewhere that newest remasters are used for that box set so it means Universal remasters I guess (for the post -69 stuff).

[www.amazon.it]

In Amazon Italy they have marked that as Universal release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-14 20:02 by rollingon.

Date: October 14, 2019 21:28

I agree if they are in better shape than the Virgins but brickwalling is a huge threat with Universal.

The Mondadori company is a similar situation to what Ward Records did in Japan?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-14 21:29 by nick.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 15, 2019 03:36

Record label jumping aside there is absolutely zero reason for another round of CD reissues if

1. they will be brickwalled
2. are the usual

A label could do a limited run of CDs, obviously make the records available in other digital formats, but make sure bonus discs etc are a separate release. Didn't the EOMS extra record sell pretty good and the SG deluxe tanked?

I've bought as little as possible from their UMe criminal reissues: SOME GIRLS is the only thing, just for the tepid second record, and the only other UMe release I've bought was the EOMS second disc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-16 03:18 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 15, 2019 08:20

All Stones recordings from the Golden Age should be on Blu Ray. I have Exile on Blu Ray and it's fantastic. Only Grrrr and Let It Bleed are also available on Blu Ray.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: October 15, 2019 11:23

24FPS
All Stones recordings from the Golden Age should be on Blu Ray. I have Exile on Blu Ray and it's fantastic. Only Grrrr and Let It Bleed are also available on Blu Ray.

Let it Bleed is a beautiful sounding BluRay. I love exile too though

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 15, 2019 11:31

Technically, there were no big boxes on Virgin. Those CDs were sold separately but a pair SF/EOMS in outer paper sleeve and Japanese 2005 A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005-2006 [TOCP-66451/58]
[www.discogs.com]
This one contains only 8 studio albums.

On the other hand there were two European boxes on CBS
The CBS Collection [465 892 2] (10 studio albums)
[www.discogs.com]
and
Collection 1971-1989 [466 918 2] (15CDs in total, all studio, live and bonus disc with rarities)
[www.discogs.com]
Both are OOP but they are not an impossible find. Sometime those are reasonably priced even sealed.
They contain old good CBS mastering from 1986. Some discs are better than Virgin, some are worth. But all sound warm.

For London period this is an ultimate collector's candy

It is called Jeans Box. It was sold in Germany as mail-in-order from Die Zeit. It contains all 22 albums re-issued in 2002. Dual layer SACD-hybrid CDs in digipaks. I believe, discs in that box came with the Certificates of Authenticity. Most probably you will not get a complete puzzle, but you'll have a couple of duplicates to trade winking smiley. Sure, it is not cheap. The last one on ebay was 300 Euros.

The other SACD-hybrid official box
Remastered Series [0602498147344]
[www.discogs.com]
contains only 16 CDs. God knows why but usually it is more expensive than Jeans Box.

That Italian box... I would call it 'budget' option. For DECCA-London period 2002 remaster was used. For RSR era - 2009 Universal brickwalled remaster. All CDs are redbook only, packed in paper sleeves of reasonable quality.

Japanese boxes usually are way overpriced. Mind that Japanese In Studio - Greatest Album From The '70s to '00s [UICY 91558/71] came with 2009 Universal brickwalled mastering.

Otherwise, you can always purchase individual CD and load them in a travel case like.
[www.perel.eu]

and design the outer side of the travel case the way you like it winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-15 11:32 by ironbelly.

Date: October 15, 2019 15:15

ironbelly
Technically, there were no big boxes on Virgin. Those CDs were sold separately but a pair SF/EOMS in outer paper sleeve and Japanese 2005 A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005-2006 [TOCP-66451/58]
[www.discogs.com]
This one contains only 8 studio albums.

On the other hand there were two European boxes on CBS
The CBS Collection [465 892 2] (10 studio albums)
[www.discogs.com]
and
Collection 1971-1989 [466 918 2] (15CDs in total, all studio, live and bonus disc with rarities)
[www.discogs.com]
Both are OOP but they are not an impossible find. Sometime those are reasonably priced even sealed.
They contain old good CBS mastering from 1986. Some discs are better than Virgin, some are worth. But all sound warm.

For London period this is an ultimate collector's candy

It is called Jeans Box. It was sold in Germany as mail-in-order from Die Zeit. It contains all 22 albums re-issued in 2002. Dual layer SACD-hybrid CDs in digipaks. I believe, discs in that box came with the Certificates of Authenticity. Most probably you will not get a complete puzzle, but you'll have a couple of duplicates to trade winking smiley. Sure, it is not cheap. The last one on ebay was 300 Euros.

The other SACD-hybrid official box
Remastered Series [0602498147344]
[www.discogs.com]
contains only 16 CDs. God knows why but usually it is more expensive than Jeans Box.

That Italian box... I would call it 'budget' option. For DECCA-London period 2002 remaster was used. For RSR era - 2009 Universal brickwalled remaster. All CDs are redbook only, packed in paper sleeves of reasonable quality.

Japanese boxes usually are way overpriced. Mind that Japanese In Studio - Greatest Album From The '70s to '00s [UICY 91558/71] came with 2009 Universal brickwalled mastering.

Otherwise, you can always purchase individual CD and load them in a travel case like.
[www.perel.eu]

and design the outer side of the travel case the way you like it winking smiley

I bought all eight of the Virgin Collector's Edition cds back in 1994 but indeed they were sold separately without any box, that's a little bit weird!

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: October 15, 2019 16:45

They were sold separately but each album came in its individual plexiglass slipcase (mini-box, so to saywinking smiley) because of the paper sleeves.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 15, 2019 18:50

That are btw the general 2019 sales-numbers in the United States:

Source: [www.RIAA.com] - (PDF)

For comparison Germany in 2018 (46.4% Streaming, 7.8% Digital Downloads, 36.4% CDs, 4.4% Vinyl):

Source: [www.Musikindustrie.de] - (PDF)

1st half of 2019 in Germany: now 66% Digital, 34% Physical - [www.Musikindustrie.de] .

With declining physical media it's questionable if there's enough demand for new CD-Boxes ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-15 19:25 by Irix.

Date: October 15, 2019 19:02

doitywoik
They were sold separately but each album came in its individual plexiglass slipcase (mini-box, so to saywinking smiley) because of the paper sleeves.

They scratch the top and bottoms of the sleeves. I took mine out of them. With the amount of times I played them over the years, the sleeves would have been totally worn by now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-15 20:12 by nick.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 15, 2019 19:29

24FPS

I have GRRR on blu ray and it is indeed fantastic. Some cuts more fantastic than others.

Little Red Rooster blew my mind.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: October 15, 2019 20:31

Irix

With declining physical media it's questionable if there's enough demand for new CD-Boxes ....

There may be less demand for physical media overall, but some boxed sets sell well enough to make them very profitable. The recording costs were long paid off for the Stones and other legacy bands, and the marketing costs are low compared to selling a new CD or vinyl record for a newer, unknown act. Legacy act boxed sets are priced high enough that any costs in preparing and duplicating them is only a small fraction of the sale price.

Date: October 15, 2019 22:40

marianna

There may be less demand for physical media overall, but some boxed sets sell well enough to make them very profitable.

Maybe you're right. A random example: Depeche Mode 18CD box set (out Nov. 2019, £220) - [www.SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Date: October 15, 2019 23:47

marianna
Irix

Legacy act boxed sets are priced high enough that any costs in preparing and duplicating them is only a small fraction of the sale price.
Let me remind you that official 2016 The Rolling Stones In Mono was priced around $150 (or 150 Euros in the EU). It sells rather poor. I believe some 700 were sold during the 1st week (my memory could serve me wrong but I believe this number was announced here).
Within 2-3 weeks after official release internet was full of Chinese fakes priced between $30 and $50.

That was ABKCO but anyway...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 15, 2019 23:49

Getting tired of lookin back …. Just give us the new album ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 16, 2019 01:50

ironbelly
marianna
Irix

Legacy act boxed sets are priced high enough that any costs in preparing and duplicating them is only a small fraction of the sale price.
Let me remind you that official 2016 The Rolling Stones In Mono was priced around $150 (or 150 Euros in the EU). It sells rather poor. I believe some 700 were sold during the 1st week (my memory could serve me wrong but I believe this number was announced here).
Within 2-3 weeks after official release internet was full of Chinese fakes priced between $30 and $50.

All these Box Sets are for very few people, not more than 10,000 copies worldwide.
The Stones' mono box set sold 700 copies in the UK during the first week (it charted at #130 in the albums chart) and less than 200 copies the second week.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: October 16, 2019 03:10

Hey, Irix, what is 'synch'? (from the pie chart you posted). Thanks

Date: October 16, 2019 08:25

peoplewitheyes

Hey, Irix, what is 'synch'? (from the pie chart you posted). Thanks

Dunno - the PDF (foot notes, last page) says: "Includes fees and royalties from synchronization of sound recordings with other media" - [www.RIAA.com] .

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: October 16, 2019 09:15

Synch is the licensing of original recordings or songs for use in films, TV, and advertising. It can be a large income source if the prices are set high enough.

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

An ABKCO exec. discusses the multi-million dollar prices for Stones songs licensed for TV commercials:

[variety.com]

Date: October 16, 2019 15:44

georgelicks
ironbelly
marianna
Irix

All these Box Sets are for very few people, not more than 10,000 copies worldwide.
The Stones' mono box set sold 700 copies in the UK during the first week (it charted at #130 in the albums chart) and less than 200 copies the second week.

Date: October 16, 2019 15:45

georgelicks
ironbelly
marianna
Irix

...and half of those people post or lurk on this site.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 16, 2019 17:21

ironbelly

I missed out the Italian box completely, but last year I was able to buy a couple of CDs in France form a similar (identical?) French box. They were sold individually at normal newsstands for only a few euros.

Got to say that the paper sleeves were very well done!

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-16 17:21 by liddas.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 16, 2019 17:42

Personally I would like to see some interesting box sets. By that I mean unreleased audio/video and books with rare pictures, as well as the most popular ones in high quality. Plus they could add in autographs or special items. I'd be okay to spend money on something like this. Oddly enough I've passed on the recent ones like Beggars Banquet and not going to buy Let It Bleed (except on coke color vinyl). They did a good job on Some Girls, Sticky Fingers, Ladies And Gentlemen and Brussels '73. All the rest if I bought them were traded or sold off.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 16, 2019 17:48

An after thought... I did buy Keef's Talk Is Cheap set with autograph. Of course I wanted his signature and the Fender wooden box exterior is awesome! The steel guitar pick and out-takes are very cool as well. Besides that there's not a lot overwhelming stuff inside. In the end I'm satisfied with price and value. No heartache or thoughts of selling it off.

Date: October 17, 2019 12:10

treaclefingers
georgelicks
ironbelly
marianna
Irix

...and half of those people post or lurk on this site.
And the other half at Steve Hoffman's music forum winking smiley

georgelicks, thank you for correction. I remember those 700 copies from your post, but not the rest details.

liddas
ironbelly

I missed out the Italian box completely, but last year I was able to buy a couple of CDs in France form a similar (identical?) French box. They were sold individually at normal newsstands for only a few euros.

Got to say that the paper sleeves were very well done!

C
I believe both versions - Italian and French are of the same quality. And both looks like local parer (or magazine) promo action. Like the one from Greece a few years back. But French seem to be a bit more expensive.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1208
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home