Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 24
Re: OT: Black Crowes 2020 reunion?
Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: November 19, 2019 11:09

A quick look at ticketmaster: 20% is sold right now, and I’m probably rounding up.
This whole concept is wrong; the band is not The Black Crowes, the timing, the massive arenas.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 19, 2019 11:26

But the concerts are 6+ months away, there is time ;-)

BTW have they said what they would be up to until then ? Now that they're all chummy they should take a stab at writing new songs !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 19, 2019 11:52

Great to see the brothers again, but this version of the BC's is just too watered down for my taste. Especially the new drummer doesn't add anything that I always liked so much about the Crowes, which was the swing, the roll in the rock.

Mathijs

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: November 19, 2019 19:01

[www.youtube.com]

Chris Robinson Recalls Bob Dylan Flipping Off the Rolling Stones

Anyone know why if true Dylan was pissed off.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: November 19, 2019 19:20

Do they have an opener? Sounds like they may have to add a fairly well-known act to the bill.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 19, 2019 19:31

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

Chris Robinson Recalls Bob Dylan Flipping Off the Rolling Stones

Anyone know why if true Dylan was pissed off.
This sounds like a highly embellished story...wouldn't somebody on the board have recollection of this event? It wasn't that long ago.

If it actually occurred, I'm sure Dylan was just toying with the Stones and not actually pissed off.

Date: November 19, 2019 20:50

[www.youtube.com]

ONE ON ONE: Marc Ford January 20th, 2017 City Winery New York Full Session

Marc Ford sits down for a One On One Session at City Winery New York on January 20th, 2017. For more info visit: [www.marcfordmusic.com]

Setlist:
Girl Of Mine
The Vulture
Devil's In The Details

Note for note, Marc Ford ranks as one of the world’s preeminent guitarists. Even so, his songcraft commands the utmost respect. Ford is no one trick pony. Keyboardist Johnny Neel once said: “Marc Ford’s an actual genius. He has the best guitar sound I’ve ever heard.”

Ford’s career began in Los Angeles during the 1980s. His group, Burning Tree, captured the essence of his guitar virtuosity and songwriting.

He joined the Black Crowes in late 1991. Ford toured and recorded on three of the Crowes’ finest albums--The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion, Amorica, and Three Snakes and One Charm. Ford’s tenure in the Crowes found the group operating at a zenith. He rejoined the Crowes in 2005-2006 when they toured and released The Lost Crowes--two albums the band never released when he was a member.

Date: November 20, 2019 04:50

Palace Revolution 2000
GasLightStreet
crholmstrom
GasLightStreet
crholmstrom
GasLightStreet
retired_dog
They had the sound, but (for the most part) not the songs. Last time I saw them live was opening for the Stones: Horrible, self-indulgent, overlong & boring jams for the most part. If they want to reunite for some decent cash, let 'em. But I could not care less.

That's a shame.

I know of other acts/artists that have done similar - it blows my mind that they can take a good, 2-3 minute song and slowly bury it with a 15 minute soundless mindless "jam"... because Grateful Deading things is apparently cool.

i went to one crazy horse show where neil was in jammy mode. the show is the one in year of the horse in the monsoon, neil vs God. every song was 15 - 20 minutes long. at one point the buddy i was with turned to me & said "you know, neil could've ended this song 10 minutes ago & everyone would've been happy". grinning smiley

I saw Dr John at Tipitina's (in New Orleans) years ago and... I almost fell asleep: every song sounded the same, he never looked at the crowd, it seemed as if he was falling asleep and... the songs went on forever, plodding and prattling along by being by-the-numbers funk... just borrrrrrrrring.

I left not even halfway through the show.

The Drive-By Truckers can get a bit jammy but they screw up a lot and keep it fun.

if you ever get a chance to see the dimmer twins, do it. patterson & mike from dbt. the between song patter & stories are hilarious. mike is downright surly haha. it gets better as the show goes along & the alcohol is more of a factor.

Oh I've seen DBT a few times... and I've hung out with them a few times. Great band, great people.
Here you go GasLighter; yes it's a Crowes thread, but any chance I get to reference this song by the Truckers I will take. It's 9 minutes but for me it could go on another 20.[youtu.be] (Sorry link didnt make it the 1st time)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-20 04:51 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 20, 2019 05:44

Palace Revolution 2000
Palace Revolution 2000
GasLightStreet
crholmstrom
GasLightStreet
crholmstrom
GasLightStreet
retired_dog
They had the sound, but (for the most part) not the songs. Last time I saw them live was opening for the Stones: Horrible, self-indulgent, overlong & boring jams for the most part. If they want to reunite for some decent cash, let 'em. But I could not care less.

That's a shame.

I know of other acts/artists that have done similar - it blows my mind that they can take a good, 2-3 minute song and slowly bury it with a 15 minute soundless mindless "jam"... because Grateful Deading things is apparently cool.

i went to one crazy horse show where neil was in jammy mode. the show is the one in year of the horse in the monsoon, neil vs God. every song was 15 - 20 minutes long. at one point the buddy i was with turned to me & said "you know, neil could've ended this song 10 minutes ago & everyone would've been happy". grinning smiley

I saw Dr John at Tipitina's (in New Orleans) years ago and... I almost fell asleep: every song sounded the same, he never looked at the crowd, it seemed as if he was falling asleep and... the songs went on forever, plodding and prattling along by being by-the-numbers funk... just borrrrrrrrring.

I left not even halfway through the show.

The Drive-By Truckers can get a bit jammy but they screw up a lot and keep it fun.

if you ever get a chance to see the dimmer twins, do it. patterson & mike from dbt. the between song patter & stories are hilarious. mike is downright surly haha. it gets better as the show goes along & the alcohol is more of a factor.

Oh I've seen DBT a few times... and I've hung out with them a few times. Great band, great people.
Here you go GasLighter; yes it's a Crowes thread, but any chance I get to reference this song by the Truckers I will take. It's 9 minutes but for me it could go on another 20.[youtu.be] (Sorry link didnt make it the 1st time)

this 1 is mighty, too!

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 21, 2019 18:05

Wow that thread is a real train wreck with all the hideous OT quotes, it's too bad that REPORT button is broken !

Mathijs
Great to see the brothers again, but this version of the BC's is just too watered down for my taste. Especially the new drummer doesn't add anything that I always liked so much about the Crowes, which was the swing, the roll in the rock.

Mathijs

Yeah these guys had it and it looks like they still do. As for the drummer, well I guess he's got 6 months to get on the beat. I'm still wondering what these guys are going tot be up to in the meantime...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-21 18:05 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: November 21, 2019 18:30

Chris & Rich "Birds of a Feather" acoustic tour in February.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 22, 2019 01:12

the real tragedy in this from what i've read is it is the end of the magpie salute. i was really liking that band. great original songs & great covers. maybe if this stiffs they will get back together.

Date: November 22, 2019 13:15

The Magpie Salute wasn't really going anywhere though was it ? The band had been significantly downsized compared to the first tour and their second album released in album got mentioned practically nowhere...

@spikenyc - thanks, I'm going to look into that ! EDIT - ok so I looked that up and can't see any mention of a 2020 BoaF tour anywhere ? Did I miss a smiley in your post maybe ?

--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-22 13:18 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: November 22, 2019 18:29

Patience.
Annoucement coming soon.

Date: November 22, 2019 20:08

Rich really took Keith's open tunings to another level with She talks to Angels his 3 riffs off the E chord, Wiser Time is slide playing and is finger picking on
Thorn of my pride which is awesome. Keith concentrated more on the playing of the chords and riffs in open tunings for the most part. I guess Prodigal son has Keith playing more finger picking style in open d on the live version from 1969.

Combined his style to Marc Ford and you get a great guitar band.

Date: November 22, 2019 20:38

spikenyc
Patience.
Annoucement coming soon.

ok, hopefully the two of them can generate some interest from promoters in Europe...

--------------

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: November 22, 2019 22:01

crholmstrom
the real tragedy in this from what i've read is it is the end of the magpie salute. i was really liking that band. great original songs & great covers. maybe if this stiffs they will get back together.

I liked them, but felt the singer was totally unnecessary and not very good.

Marc f'n Ford is awesome.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 23, 2019 05:10

What I've listened to on the Howard Stern Show...

... brought a smile to this @#$%&'s face!

LOVE IT!

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 23, 2019 12:19

Yeah that's the stuff, man !
I'm tearing through Steve Gorman's book right now, wow, these guys weren't pretending, hehe...

--------------

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 23, 2019 12:45

I love the Black Crowes but I am not a super fan. I remember listening to their first record in 1990 and watching them on MTV. I was aware of the brothers as leaders of the band. Then I lost interest in the band. I went to see then at the 9:30 club in DC in 2005; they were great.In 2010 I listened to "Before the Frost.." record and loved that record a LOT. What an amazing album that is; the songwriting and the playing is fabulous.

Good luck to them and I will try to see them when they come my way.

Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: November 23, 2019 12:59

stickyfingers101
crholmstrom

They have no songs. I listened a lot to their albums and still can’t distinguish the songs. They’re all great players, but fail to write some decent tunes.

I always was a Rich supporter, but if I’m honest I love Chris’ solo career much more. I love nearly all his albums. Rich only made one good one (The Ceaseless Sight).

Date: November 24, 2019 01:57

BowieStone
stickyfingers101
crholmstrom

They have no songs. I listened a lot to their albums and still can’t distinguish the songs. They’re all great players, but fail to write some decent tunes.

I always was a Rich supporter, but if I’m honest I love Chris’ solo career much more. I love nearly all his albums. Rich only made one good one (The Ceaseless Sight).

that's really what it all comes down to....if you can't write a song...well, nuff said.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 24, 2019 02:48

gotdablouse
Wow that thread is a real train wreck with all the hideous OT quotes, it's too bad that REPORT button is broken !

Too bad there's not a CONTEXT button for me to push so you can fathom some things.

Goddamn, what a joke.

Date: November 24, 2019 16:28

GasLightStreet
gotdablouse

Too bad there's not a CONTEXT button for me to push so you can fathom some things.

Goddamn, what a joke.

"Context" button...man, that's a great idea.

Date: November 24, 2019 17:58

GasLightStreet
gotdablouse

Goddamn, what a joke.

CONTEXT like I'm an idiot, I quote like a pig making the forums impossible to read and I'll carry on with whatever OT discussion I feel like with no respect for those actually interested in the topic of the thread, I'll go back to an old comment after the thread's finally moved back on topic ? Sure, go ahead, knock yourself out.

@spikenyc - "Chris & Rich "Birds of a Feather" acoustic tour in February." - That would be great, saw some discussion on FB of March/April in Europe for the band...they made the announcement early for that to be an option I suppose.

--------------

Date: November 24, 2019 20:05

[www.youtube.com]

The Black Crowes - Wiser Time - Freak N Roll Into the Fog

Here is the Black Crowes - When I first read the thread I knew this would morph into other discussion, the original BC are gone even, if you bring back Steve etc - Ed is gone (RIP).

This version is so good - reminds me of Keith and Mick singing Dead Flowers and MT
guitar licks through the song just like Marc Ford above in Wiser Time.

Date: November 26, 2019 17:51

[www.youtube.com]

The Black Crowes - Miserable (unreleased 1991 track)

great song my guess it became Thorn in My Pride inspiration .

[www.youtube.com]

The Black Crowes - Words You Throw Away Bside Hotel Illness

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 27, 2019 02:47

Was a pretty cool interview with Steve Gorman. I'm sure he has his own host of problems (can't imagine anyone in any band is blameless with things), and I can question his reasons for staying in the band literally the whole time when it was apparently complete torture, but its definitely interesting to hear him speak about all that stuff and their history. Seems like a cool guy:

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Black Crowes 2020 reunion
Date: November 27, 2019 21:03

[www.youtube.com]

The Black Crowes Live: ‘Shake Your Money Maker’ | KLOS Sound Check

The Black Crowes are back! Check out their performance of "Thick N' Thin" & "Jealous Again" at the KLOS Sound Check at The Troubadour.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: November 27, 2019 22:26

RollingFreak
Was a pretty cool interview with Steve Gorman. I'm sure he has his own host of problems (can't imagine anyone in any band is blameless with things), and I can question his reasons for staying in the band literally the whole time when it was apparently complete torture, but its definitely interesting to hear him speak about all that stuff and their history. Seems like a cool guy:

[www.youtube.com]
I agreed with Rollingfreak; great interview. Steve Gorman is very articulate.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1679
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home