Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 24
Re: OT: Black Crowes 2020 reunion?
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 15, 2019 19:03

stickyfingers101

but, I don't think the Crowes command the "nostalgia-bucket-list" hype that Gn'R brought/brings to the table.

Police started the trend 11 years ago. Between Sting and Copeland it was a case of "I hate you you hate me but let's put our mutual hatred aside and do a lucrative world tour". And they did.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 15, 2019 19:07

dcba
stickyfingers101

but, I don't think the Crowes command the "nostalgia-bucket-list" hype that Gn'R brought/brings to the table.

Police started the trend 11 years ago. Between Sting and Copeland it was a case of "I hate you you hate me but let's put our mutual hatred aside and do a lucrative world tour". And they did.
It really started in 1994 with the Eagles' Hell Freezes Over tour.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 15, 2019 19:12

stickyfingers101
keefriff99
crholmstrom
keefriff99
RollingFreak
keefmick
I don't know about all this hating on the lineup b/c I am not a Crowes afficianado at all, but they sounded great on Stern the other day. They are playing an hour away from me which is too far for a band I don't really care about but for those who do care, they sounded great.

Agree for the most part. I am just personally a sucker for "original bands" if they are alive and possible. Bands are not about 2 people usually, its about a group, especially if it was a stable lineup for awhile so I'm just someone thats attached to that. Having said that, its essentially like Oasis: the brothers ARE the band. Sure, they had a drummer that was literally always with them, but its not like he wrote the songs and its not like you can't find someone else to fill that role. Not saying thats what I'd prefer but when you get right down to it its like "yeah, they sound good, the Robinson brothers were the whole band anyway for the most part." No one really cares about the other people THAT much, its just a convenient argument.

Having said that, regardless of how good they sound and if you could move past that its just the two of them, the unbelievably blatant money grab that it is would still leave a bad taste in my mouth.
Agreed, but Guns n' Roses is a perfect example. When the reunion tour was announced without Izzy Stradlin's participation, fans on Blabbermouth and other hard rock sites went ballistic: "No Izzy, no G n'R!" "I'm not going unless Izzy is there!"

Blah blah blah...

Well, almost $600 million later, it shows how little the casual fan really cares about that sort of thing. All people wanted to see was Axl and Slash (complete with the top hat, of course) onstage together.

let's not forget duff. hometown boy. lives pretty close to me, at least part of the time. i was actually surprised how good that g n r show was. i saw them early on the tour. alice in chains opened & they let them play a longer than usual opening set. g n r played 3 hours. 1 humorous note: they had the lamest pyro ever, haha. i saw the lineup with buckethead & robin finck too. that was surprisingly good. buckethead confused the spuds & it was funny to watch.
Oh of course...I love Duff, but the point really is that each iconic band has one or two widely-known members.

Mick and Keith
Steve and Joe
Axl and Slash
Bono and the Edge
James and Lars
Angus Young

Despite what we as passionate and educated music fans think, most of the above musicians could tour with scabs in the other band positions and not lose much of an audience.

come on! just Angus??

Angus and Bon! Angus and Brian! Angus and Axl!

haha!

and don't forget: Eddie and David....Eddie and Sammy....Eddie and that Tool from Extreme....Van Halen, baby!!!

or....Steven and whoever that Dbag was for that HORRIBLE "Rock & a Hard Place" so-called "Aerosmith" album....

haha!

good times w/ the revolving door.

Duff seems like a pretty cool guy.

Duff is real chill. You can see the wear & tear, thankfully he got woke up before it was too late.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 15, 2019 19:15

I love Duff.

Having said that, no one cared about him being on this tour. Or more importantly, there is not one argument that can be made that he deserved more money than Izzy did, which is what Izzy said went down. Sure, Duff was more of a visible member, and participated till they broke up when Izzy just dipped, but Izzy wrote nearly all the songs they play live. By that alone, he is as important, or moreso than Duff, and the two should have been paid the same. Its ridiculous that they weren't.

And when you don't have Izzy, then at that point its just Axl and Slash. There's videos of people being asked if they're excited Duff is a part of it and they have no idea who he is. I love the man though. Just saying he holds zero sway on the tickets sold. It was just "a little better" that he was included.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: November 15, 2019 19:37

I wonder - Is Rich playing his original Tony-era Zemaitis Disc Front? It was up for sale (along with a nice Junior) at $95k around 2001? Wonder if it was ever sold.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: November 15, 2019 20:26

KCRW yesterday (11/14/19)
Videos within the article.

[www.jambase.com]

The acoustic sounds great!
Hearing rumors of a short acoustic tour
with just Chris & Rich this February.

Date: November 15, 2019 21:06

spikenyc
KCRW yesterday (11/14/19)
Videos within the article.

[www.jambase.com]

The acoustic sounds great!
Hearing rumors of a short acoustic tour
with just Chris & Rich this February.

It really is amazing how if you're an @#$%&, most people can look past all that if you have a talent. Sure, Black Crowes aren't Mt Rushmore of rock, but Chris is a very good singer and Rich is a more than passable guitarist. They make some good music. They have their own little gift. You can know the chemistry is forced and BS, you can know its just for the money, but if they do a good job for 90 minutes on stage and make you feel something, MOST people can look past all that. Its pretty amazing. Axl Rose screwed me over for 20 years, and then as soon as he decided to pull his shit together I paid big bucks for it. It makes no sense. Despite being an ass, there's something deep in me that he is so rooted in my life that I can look past it.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 15, 2019 21:33

keefriff99
dcba
stickyfingers101

Or maybe Steel Wheels 1989.........

"No Anchovies, Please"

smiling smileysmiling smileyRe: OT: Black Crowes 2020 reunion?
Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: November 15, 2019 22:38

I bought tickets for the Toronto gig end of July.

I have never seen them before and it's been on my bucket list to see a cover band do Black Crowes fronted by the Robinson's. haha

The saddest part for me is no Gorman. He is as much a member as the brothers and his drumming is fantastic.

Date: November 15, 2019 23:00

Elmo Lewis
keefriff99
dcba
stickyfingers101

Or maybe Steel Wheels 1989.........

eye popping smiley

OT: The Black Crowes
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 15, 2019 23:18

The Black Crowes Blaze Through Scorching Set at Troubadour

11/15/2019 by Dave Brooks

Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic for LiveNation

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: November 16, 2019 01:37

I'm watching the Black Crowes performing "It's Only Rock And Roll" on YouTube right now. Chris Robinson looks and sounds the same. Rich Robinson looks like he's at the dentist's office.

I remember authenticity being a thing. Imagine if Mick and Keith fired Charlie and Ron and the entire live band and replaced them, and then kept going as the Stones?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 16, 2019 01:44

keefriff99
crholmstrom
keefriff99
RollingFreak
keefmick
I don't know about all this hating on the lineup b/c I am not a Crowes afficianado at all, but they sounded great on Stern the other day. They are playing an hour away from me which is too far for a band I don't really care about but for those who do care, they sounded great.

Agree for the most part. I am just personally a sucker for "original bands" if they are alive and possible. Bands are not about 2 people usually, its about a group, especially if it was a stable lineup for awhile so I'm just someone thats attached to that. Having said that, its essentially like Oasis: the brothers ARE the band. Sure, they had a drummer that was literally always with them, but its not like he wrote the songs and its not like you can't find someone else to fill that role. Not saying thats what I'd prefer but when you get right down to it its like "yeah, they sound good, the Robinson brothers were the whole band anyway for the most part." No one really cares about the other people THAT much, its just a convenient argument.

Having said that, regardless of how good they sound and if you could move past that its just the two of them, the unbelievably blatant money grab that it is would still leave a bad taste in my mouth.
Agreed, but Guns n' Roses is a perfect example. When the reunion tour was announced without Izzy Stradlin's participation, fans on Blabbermouth and other hard rock sites went ballistic: "No Izzy, no G n'R!" "I'm not going unless Izzy is there!"

Blah blah blah...

Well, almost $600 million later, it shows how little the casual fan really cares about that sort of thing. All people wanted to see was Axl and Slash (complete with the top hat, of course) onstage together.

let's not forget duff. hometown boy. lives pretty close to me, at least part of the time. i was actually surprised how good that g n r show was. i saw them early on the tour. alice in chains opened & they let them play a longer than usual opening set. g n r played 3 hours. 1 humorous note: they had the lamest pyro ever, haha. i saw the lineup with buckethead & robin finck too. that was surprisingly good. buckethead confused the spuds & it was funny to watch.
Oh of course...I love Duff, but the point really is that each iconic band has one or two widely-known members.

Mick and Keith
Steve and Joe
Axl and Slash
Bono and the Edge
James and Lars
Angus Young

Despite what we as passionate and educated music fans think, most of the above musicians could tour with scabs in the other band positions and not lose much of an audience.

You left out:

Ian and Billy
Robert and Jimmy

Date: November 16, 2019 19:43

GasLightStreet
keefriff99
crholmstrom
keefriff99
RollingFreak
keefmick

Blah blah blah...

Mick and Keith
Steve and Joe
Axl and Slash
Bono and the Edge
James and Lars
Angus Young

You left out:

Ian and Billy
Robert and Jimmy

David Jo and Johnny T.
Joe and Mick J
Gregg and Duane
Wayne and Fred
Perry F and Dave N
Noel and Liam
Oh, and how about John and Paul?
David Bowie and Mick R
Morrissey and Johnny

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 16, 2019 19:54

Palace Revolution 2000
GasLightStreet
keefriff99
crholmstrom
keefriff99
RollingFreak
keefmick

Blah blah blah...

Mick and Keith
Steve and Joe
Axl and Slash
Bono and the Edge
James and Lars
Angus Young

You left out:

Ian and Billy
Robert and Jimmy

David Jo and Johnny T.
Joe and Mick J
Gregg and Duane
Wayne and Fred
Perry F and Dave N
Noel and Liam
David Bowie and Mick R
Morrissey and Johnny
Alright, well jeezus...I wasn't trying to make an EXHAUSTIVE list, but thanks for the input, guys.

Date: November 16, 2019 19:58

Also you're drifting into places where its about more than two guys. The Beatles was never the Paul and John show. There are other bands, like Oasis, where all things considered, its about two guys.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: November 16, 2019 19:59

keefriff99
Palace Revolution 2000
GasLightStreet
keefriff99
crholmstrom
keefriff99
RollingFreak
keefmick

Blah blah blah...

Mick and Keith
Steve and Joe
Axl and Slash
Bono and the Edge
James and Lars
Angus Young

You left out:

Ian and Billy
Robert and Jimmy

David Jo and Johnny T.
Joe and Mick J
Gregg and Duane
Wayne and Fred
Perry F and Dave N
Noel and Liam
David Bowie and Mick R
Morrissey and Johnny
Alright, well jeezus...I wasn't trying to make an EXHAUSTIVE list, but thanks for the input, guys.

Sonny and Cher!

Date: November 16, 2019 20:06

Palace Revolution 2000
GasLightStreet
keefriff99
crholmstrom
keefriff99
RollingFreak
keefmick

Blah blah blah...

Mick and Keith
Steve and Joe
Axl and Slash
Bono and the Edge
James and Lars
Angus Young

You left out:

Ian and Billy
Robert and Jimmy

David Jo and Johnny T.
Joe and Mick J
Gregg and Duane
Wayne and Fred
Perry F and Dave N
Noel and Liam
David Bowie and Mick R
Morrissey and Johnny

Joe and Mick J.?

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: November 16, 2019 20:09

They had the sound, but (for the most part) not the songs. Last time I saw them live was opening for the Stones: Horrible, self-indulgent, overlong & boring jams for the most part. If they want to reunite for some decent cash, let 'em. But I could not care less.

Date: November 16, 2019 20:13

keefriff99
Palace Revolution 2000
GasLightStreet
keefriff99
crholmstrom
keefriff99
RollingFreak
keefmick

Blah blah blah...

Mick and Keith
Steve and Joe
Axl and Slash
Bono and the Edge
James and Lars
Angus Young

You left out:

Ian and Billy
Robert and Jimmy

David Jo and Johnny T.
Joe and Mick J
Gregg and Duane
Wayne and Fred
Perry F and Dave N
Noel and Liam
David Bowie and Mick R
Morrissey and Johnny

LOL!

How come (enter LP name here) isn't in your Top 500 albums!!!!!!!!!!!!??????

Date: November 16, 2019 20:17

retired_dog
They had the sound, but (for the most part) not the songs. Last time I saw them live was opening for the Stones: Horrible, self-indulgent, overlong & boring jams for the most part. If they want to reunite for some decent cash, let 'em. But I could not care less.

That's a shame.

I know of other acts/artists that have done similar - it blows my mind that they can take a good, 2-3 minute song and slowly bury it with a 15 minute soundless mindless "jam"... because Grateful Deading things is apparently cool.

Date: November 16, 2019 20:32

GasLightStreet
retired_dog

That's a shame.

I know of other acts/artists that have done similar - it blows my mind that they can take a good, 2-3 minute song and slowly bury it with a 15 minute soundless mindless "jam"... because Grateful Deading things is apparently cool.

i went to one crazy horse show where neil was in jammy mode. the show is the one in year of the horse in the monsoon, neil vs God. every song was 15 - 20 minutes long. at one point the buddy i was with turned to me & said "you know, neil could've ended this song 10 minutes ago & everyone would've been happy". grinning smiley

Date: November 16, 2019 20:54

crholmstrom
GasLightStreet
retired_dog

That's a shame.

i went to one crazy horse show where neil was in jammy mode. the show is the one in year of the horse in the monsoon, neil vs God. every song was 15 - 20 minutes long. at one point the buddy i was with turned to me & said "you know, neil could've ended this song 10 minutes ago & everyone would've been happy". grinning smiley

I saw Dr John at Tipitina's (in New Orleans) years ago and... I almost fell asleep: every song sounded the same, he never looked at the crowd, it seemed as if he was falling asleep and... the songs went on forever, plodding and prattling along by being by-the-numbers funk... just borrrrrrrrring.

I left not even halfway through the show.

The Drive-By Truckers can get a bit jammy but they screw up a lot and keep it fun.

Date: November 16, 2019 21:15

GasLightStreet
crholmstrom
GasLightStreet
retired_dog

That's a shame.

I saw Dr John at Tipitina's (in New Orleans) years ago and... I almost fell asleep: every song sounded the same, he never looked at the crowd, it seemed as if he was falling asleep and... the songs went on forever, plodding and prattling along by being by-the-numbers funk... just borrrrrrrrring.

The Drive-By Truckers can get a bit jammy but they screw up a lot and keep it fun.

if you ever get a chance to see the dimmer twins, do it. patterson & mike from dbt. the between song patter & stories are hilarious. mike is downright surly haha. it gets better as the show goes along & the alcohol is more of a factor.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: November 16, 2019 21:51

[www.youtube.com]

Marc Ford & the Neptune Blues Club "Deep Water" | Reverb Sessions

Date: November 16, 2019 21:56

crholmstrom
GasLightStreet
crholmstrom
GasLightStreet
retired_dog

That's a shame.

if you ever get a chance to see the dimmer twins, do it. patterson & mike from dbt. the between song patter & stories are hilarious. mike is downright surly haha. it gets better as the show goes along & the alcohol is more of a factor.

Oh I've seen DBT a few times... and I've hung out with them a few times. Great band, great people.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 17, 2019 01:54

Thank you OpenG, what a joy!

C

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 17, 2019 01:57

Retired dog, BC’s last album alone has more “songs”, great “songs” than most of their contemporaries have recorded in a career!

C

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-17 02:00 by liddas.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 19, 2019 01:19

It's been posted before but man this is some powerful stuff !

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: November 19, 2019 08:33

GasLightStreet
crholmstrom
GasLightStreet
crholmstrom
GasLightStreet
retired_dog

That's a shame.

Oh I've seen DBT a few times... and I've hung out with them a few times. Great band, great people.
Here you go GasLighter; yes it's a Crowes thread, but any chance I get to reference this song by the Truckers I will take. It's 9 minutes but for me it could go on another 20.[youtu.be] (Sorry link didnt make it)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-20 04:49 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1451
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home