Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 24
Re: OT: Black Crowes 2020 reunion?
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 13, 2019 15:09

Palace Revolution 2000
just saw a clip on Howard Stern's show of the brothers doing "Talks to Angels" with a band. Not sure if that was Dan Auerbach on slide with them; not sure if clip is new either.
Still - Chris is still one of the great rock'n roll singers around, and Rich is still as boring as cardboard.
The clips are from when they were on the Stern show earlier this week...great performances honestly. Chris still sounds incredible:

She Talks To Angels (live on Howard Stern)

Hard To Handle (live on Howard Stern)

Jealous Again (live on Howard Stern)

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 13, 2019 17:22

for comparison i checked to see how sturgill simpson sales were going in my area (not a hotbed of countryish). he is killing it. playing bigger venue & charging less. the ticket sales for the crowes are pretty bleak here at this point.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: November 13, 2019 17:53

The thread got me motivated to play She Talks to Angels in standard tuning and not open e - the chords are easy Esus, Asus and B power chord - I thought the 3 different riffs off the E sus chord would not sound okay - but you can play them and it works - also the harmonic part on the intro works at the 7th and 5th frets on the E string.

OT: The Black Crowes
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 13, 2019 18:18

LOS ANGELES: The Black Crowes present Shake Your Money Maker played in its entirety November 14th at @thetroubadour. TICKETS WILL NOT BE SOLD AT THE TROUBADOUR. Stay tuned to @theblackcrowes instagram page for how to purchase tickets
#TheBlackCrowes

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 13, 2019 18:38

crholmstrom
for comparison i checked to see how sturgill simpson sales were going in my area (not a hotbed of countryish). he is killing it. playing bigger venue & charging less. the ticket sales for the crowes are pretty bleak here at this point.

After checking ticketmaster and seeing the poor sales for the Forum show last night, I'm now being sent emails - "THE BLACK CROWES Tickets Are Waiting For You"...
Guess I can expect quite a few more of these desperate notifications between now and the scheduled date, but no doubt these "friendly" reminders will become a nuisance!

PS- Just looked again by clicking on email and still selling very poorly - they would have been better off playing much smaller venues with much lower prices.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 13, 2019 18:49

By showtime I'm sure they'll fill up. At this point, I really don't think Livenation cares. I have a friend who works there and they paper a lot of houses. I ask "why? Why not just not book such ridiculous shows?" Honestly, its just in a way to "get" these artists. Everyone is suffering, so they can afford to take a hit with some of what they book cause they'll make it up in spades elsewhere. And they also get the promotion from the other bigger tours, and "stuck by the artist" through their tour that may or may not work. In the end, it really does work in their favor. In the end, there's no reason Jeff Lynne should be able to play MSG with ELO, especially at the prices they charged. And I'm a huge ELO fan and went to the show and it was mostly papered. Doesn't matter. They'd rather take the hit, get the promotion and make the money at the venues in concessions and parking and whatnot.

Right, thats also a huge thing and almost the #1 reason its at venues it is. Cause those are Livenation owned venues. They get the profits from it as opposed to an MSG or Beacon Theater that they don't own. Thats why its sheds, Livenation owns most of the sheds. So they can allow the artists to charge whatever they want, Livenation doesn't mind papering the house, they still make back the money either way.

Date: November 13, 2019 18:56

I can't believe their management team miscalculated so badly. All they had to do was stage a big theater tour, with maybe a couple of sheds in the bigger markets, and they'd be gold.

Date: November 13, 2019 18:58

RollingFreak
By showtime I'm sure they'll fill up. At this point, I really don't think Livenation cares. I have a friend who works there and they paper a lot of houses. I ask "why? Why not just not book such ridiculous shows?" Honestly, its just in a way to "get" these artists. Everyone is suffering, so they can afford to take a hit with some of what they book cause they'll make it up in spades elsewhere. And they also get the promotion from the other bigger tours, and "stuck by the artist" through their tour that may or may not work. In the end, it really does work in their favor. In the end, there's no reason Jeff Lynne should be able to play MSG with ELO, especially at the prices they charged. And I'm a huge ELO fan and went to the show and it was mostly papered. Doesn't matter. They'd rather take the hit, get the promotion and make the money at the venues in concessions and parking and whatnot.

Right, thats also a huge thing and almost the #1 reason its at venues it is. Cause those are Livenation owned venues. They get the profits from it as opposed to an MSG or Beacon Theater that they don't own. Thats why its sheds, Livenation owns most of the sheds. So they can allow the artists to charge whatever they want, Livenation doesn't mind papering the house, they still make back the money either way.
That's an interesting perspective, and it makes sense.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: November 13, 2019 19:00

Live on KCRW later today

[livesessions.npr.org]

Posted by: swaff ()
Date: November 13, 2019 19:51

Nope! Well maybe, if it was the whole band playing the Fillmore, but just the two brother's? At the Concord Pavilion? At The Shoreline? Nope.

Date: November 13, 2019 21:09

Crowes without Gorman is like the Stones w/o Charlie.

Date: November 13, 2019 21:11

keefriff99
RollingFreak

That's an interesting perspective, and it makes sense.

Yeah, my friend works PNC every summer. We went to many shows this summer and spoke about the situation, cause I'm a music fan while he's not but he knows and is in the business while I'm not. I asked "why is Alice Cooper playing on a Tuesday, or Blink 182. They aren't selling and those are shows that probably WOULD sell if they were on weekends. And why are country acts playing EVERY weekend?"

He said "because country acts are what sell now. We need to put the biggest shows on the weekend, obviously, and those are the ones that sell out actual ticketwise and THEN also make the venue (really just Livenation) money. So then you're left with the other shows, that probably won't sell as well ticketwise, BUT if we sell 1/2 of it, then paper the rest of the house, the venue (Livenation) still gets all those concession profits. So in the end, we make back what we're losing in audience with concessions, if not more, AND on the weekends we're making a killing." So they balance out/Livenation still ends up with a profit when you combine them. And they only have to have ALL those shows (they basically have shows every night of the week in the summer) because each year Livenation has to do MORE business than they did the previous year in a market where not much is selling at all. So the way they do that is flood the market, but the big shit on weekends, then do it at the venues they own so they're really not taking a hit anywhere AND they're still hitting their numbers to "grow" each year. Then the last piece of the puzzle is how do you do a lot of that? Through nostalgia. Enter The Black Crowes.

But 100% the reason the shows are at the places they are is because they are Livenation owned venues. They put the shows that are potential for risk at the venues they own so there's no downsides. They can pay the bands what they are asking, relatively no matter how absurd, because as long as there's HALF the audience that is willing to jump on board they win. They'd rather have the show and make a little bit of money than not have the show, need to make it up with more shows elsewhere, and not make what is basically easy money with a nostalgic 90s band. They basically need to grab any tour they have to get the business, and if its prone to failure they'll book it at venues with no risk, and then this is outweighed by the Eagles, GNR, and other huge tours that play stadiums and real venues that also make Livenation a shitload of money. I tell my friend all the time I hate Livenation and Ticketmaster for what they've done to the concert experience for a music fan like myself. But its not easy for them and I have to applaud their sheer persistence in finding ways to keep this going. In most cases, we've actually gone full circle for me that my bands are now "not cool", thus not playing the big venues and being the money makers they were 10 or 15 years ago, so now they still play just so Livenation has the business and they play in shitty places that its cheap as shit so I can still go if I want to. There was the weird spot 10 years ago where all of our favorite acts were charging a fortune and still a big draw. Now, they are sidelined by country and pop acts and it works out in our favor cause those bands don't stop because Livenation needs something to push but its on crappier nights so its actually more affordable.

Date: November 13, 2019 21:32

soon to be at a fine Native American entertainment complex near you. actually the shed near seattle is a partnership between live nation & a local tribe. the other big outdoor venue is on the other side of the mountains, about a 2 hour drive. quicker to go there than the one in town because of the traffic issues.

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: November 13, 2019 23:38

No Gorman, no Marc Ford, no Crowes.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 14, 2019 17:07

Maybe a better idea would have been festivals - Bonnaroo, Wanee, etc.

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: November 14, 2019 17:34

I don't know about all this hating on the lineup b/c I am not a Crowes afficianado at all, but they sounded great on Stern the other day. They are playing an hour away from me which is too far for a band I don't really care about but for those who do care, they sounded great.

Date: November 14, 2019 19:24

keefmick
I don't know about all this hating on the lineup b/c I am not a Crowes afficianado at all, but they sounded great on Stern the other day. They are playing an hour away from me which is too far for a band I don't really care about but for those who do care, they sounded great.

Agree for the most part. I am just personally a sucker for "original bands" if they are alive and possible. Bands are not about 2 people usually, its about a group, especially if it was a stable lineup for awhile so I'm just someone thats attached to that. Having said that, its essentially like Oasis: the brothers ARE the band. Sure, they had a drummer that was literally always with them, but its not like he wrote the songs and its not like you can't find someone else to fill that role. Not saying thats what I'd prefer but when you get right down to it its like "yeah, they sound good, the Robinson brothers were the whole band anyway for the most part." No one really cares about the other people THAT much, its just a convenient argument.

Having said that, regardless of how good they sound and if you could move past that its just the two of them, the unbelievably blatant money grab that it is would still leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Date: November 14, 2019 19:57

How does one score these discounted "papered show" tickets?

Date: November 14, 2019 19:57

RollingFreak
keefmick

Agree for the most part. I am just personally a sucker for "original bands" if they are alive and possible. Bands are not about 2 people usually, its about a group, especially if it was a stable lineup for awhile so I'm just someone thats attached to that. Having said that, its essentially like Oasis: the brothers ARE the band. Sure, they had a drummer that was literally always with them, but its not like he wrote the songs and its not like you can't find someone else to fill that role. Not saying thats what I'd prefer but when you get right down to it its like "yeah, they sound good, the Robinson brothers were the whole band anyway for the most part." No one really cares about the other people THAT much, its just a convenient argument.

Having said that, regardless of how good they sound and if you could move past that its just the two of them, the unbelievably blatant money grab that it is would still leave a bad taste in my mouth.
Agreed, but Guns n' Roses is a perfect example. When the reunion tour was announced without Izzy Stradlin's participation, fans on Blabbermouth and other hard rock sites went ballistic: "No Izzy, no G n'R!" "I'm not going unless Izzy is there!"

Blah blah blah...

Well, almost $600 million later, it shows how little the casual fan really cares about that sort of thing. All people wanted to see was Axl and Slash (complete with the top hat, of course) onstage together.

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: November 14, 2019 20:28

Great for those who don't care but the difference between this band and the one with Ford or Harsch is evident. They added the same than the brothers to the sound. At least in their best record, the southern harmony...

Date: November 14, 2019 23:09

keefriff99
RollingFreak
keefmick

Agreed, but Guns n' Roses is a perfect example. When the reunion tour was announced without Izzy Stradlin's participation, fans on Blabbermouth and other hard rock sites went ballistic: "No Izzy, no G n'R!" "I'm not going unless Izzy is there!"

Blah blah blah...

Well, almost $600 million later, it shows how little the casual fan really cares about that sort of thing. All people wanted to see was Axl and Slash (complete with the top hat, of course) onstage together.

let's not forget duff. hometown boy. lives pretty close to me, at least part of the time. i was actually surprised how good that g n r show was. i saw them early on the tour. alice in chains opened & they let them play a longer than usual opening set. g n r played 3 hours. 1 humorous note: they had the lamest pyro ever, haha. i saw the lineup with buckethead & robin finck too. that was surprisingly good. buckethead confused the spuds & it was funny to watch.

Date: November 14, 2019 23:11

capsula
Great for those who don't care but the difference between this band and the one with Ford or Harsch is evident. They added the same than the brothers to the sound. At least in their best record, the southern harmony...

agreed on southern harmony being their best record. they had their moments later but that record was really strong all the way through. i'd rather see them play that than shake your moneymaker. i'm going to skip the "reunion". i have to budget my concert dollars.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: November 15, 2019 01:54

Elmo Lewis

Also every May Live Nation does National Concert Week with loads of $20 all in tickets, usually lawn tickets but sometimes theatre, club, arena shows.

I will spend like $500 in 20 minutes grabbing tix to everything local.

Date: November 15, 2019 06:26

Hairball
crholmstrom

After checking ticketmaster and seeing the poor sales for the Forum show last night, I'm now being sent emails - "THE BLACK CROWES Tickets Are Waiting For You"...
Guess I can expect quite a few more of these desperate notifications between now and the scheduled date, but no doubt these "friendly" reminders will become a nuisance!

PS- Just looked again by clicking on email and still selling very poorly - they would have been better off playing much smaller venues with much lower prices.

Hi Hairball. I did the same as you & now I'm getting hit by emails everyday, sometimes twice in a day. Wish we could organize something where everyone would reply & clog TMs email, haha. Maybe crash the computer. You know, the one that freezes up whenever a major show goes on sale

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 15, 2019 12:26

So someone (RS.com) did ask why former members were uninvited and the answer was

Was there any talk of inviting any of the former members to tour with you?
Chris: No. That was the first thing Rich and I agreed on: We don’t want anyone from the solo groups. We don’t want anyone from the past.

Rich: In order to make this work. To give Chris and I the space to …

Chris: Be here right now.

Fair enough, with the book the drummer was out anyway.

Hope they make it over to Europe next year !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 15, 2019 15:11

gotdablouse
So someone (RS.com) did ask why former members were uninvited and the answer was

Was there any talk of inviting any of the former members to tour with you?
Chris: No. That was the first thing Rich and I agreed on: We don’t want anyone from the solo groups. We don’t want anyone from the past.

Rich: In order to make this work. To give Chris and I the space to …

Chris: Be here right now.

Fair enough, with the book the drummer was out anyway.

Hope they make it over to Europe next year !

This is where a Jane Rose would have come in handy. In the mid-1980s, it was Jane who told Keith if he wanted the Stones to have a future, he had to break with Ronnie following DIRTY WORK. She was allegedly upset over Keith using Ronnie for the Aretha project for this very reason.

Date: November 15, 2019 15:26

Dan
Elmo Lewis

Also every May Live Nation does National Concert Week with loads of $20 all in tickets, usually lawn tickets but sometimes theatre, club, arena shows.

I will spend like $500 in 20 minutes grabbing tix to everything local.

Thanks, Dan. Will do.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: November 15, 2019 15:45

keefriff99
RollingFreak
keefmick

Blah blah blah...

good point....and I think the tour will be just fine.

but, I don't think the Crowes command the "nostalgia-bucket-list" hype that Gn'R brought/brings to the table.

Gn'R was the "Biggest Band in the World" at one point and then just died. Millions of those "casual fans" (and die-hards) who wanted to see them never got to.

Crowes have never had the same level of fame (or "legend" status) and most people have had ample opportunities to see them over the last 30 years...

If I go, this will be a "Flask and Doober on the Lawn at Great Woods" (or whatever they call "Great Woods" now)....definitely not shelling out big-bucks to sit up front.

Hampton Beach Casino Ballroom! Play it! Lupos! Play it! Come on, Crowes!

Date: November 15, 2019 15:52

crholmstrom
keefriff99
RollingFreak
keefmick

Blah blah blah...

let's not forget duff. hometown boy. lives pretty close to me, at least part of the time. i was actually surprised how good that g n r show was. i saw them early on the tour. alice in chains opened & they let them play a longer than usual opening set. g n r played 3 hours. 1 humorous note: they had the lamest pyro ever, haha. i saw the lineup with buckethead & robin finck too. that was surprisingly good. buckethead confused the spuds & it was funny to watch.
Oh of course...I love Duff, but the point really is that each iconic band has one or two widely-known members.

Mick and Keith
Steve and Joe
Axl and Slash
Bono and the Edge
James and Lars
Angus Young

Despite what we as passionate and educated music fans think, most of the above musicians could tour with scabs in the other band positions and not lose much of an audience.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: November 15, 2019 16:49

keefriff99
crholmstrom
keefriff99
RollingFreak
keefmick

Blah blah blah...

Oh of course...I love Duff, but the point really is that each iconic band has one or two widely-known members.

Mick and Keith
Steve and Joe
Axl and Slash
Bono and the Edge
James and Lars
Angus Young

Despite what we as passionate and educated music fans think, most of the above musicians could tour with scabs in the other band positions and not lose much of an audience.

come on! just Angus??

Angus and Bon! Angus and Brian! Angus and Axl!

haha!

and don't forget: Eddie and David....Eddie and Sammy....Eddie and that Tool from Extreme....Van Halen, baby!!!

or....Steven and whoever that Dbag was for that HORRIBLE "Rock & a Hard Place" so-called "Aerosmith" album....

haha!

good times w/ the revolving door.

Duff seems like a pretty cool guy.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1483
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home