Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 24
Re: OT: Black Crowes 2020 reunion?
Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: November 12, 2019 17:03

Check out this audience video of “Sister Luck”: you have to squint to see the rest of the band. Right down to lighting design, this is all about the brothers.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 12, 2019 17:09

keefriff99
they've reconciled to a point.

Mmmmm... they've been at war since they were kids (with Rick being at the receiving end). In his book Gorman writes that the very 1st time he witnessed Chris attacking Rick he told the guitarist : "why don't you whack him in the face real good? After that he'll leave you alone for the rest of your life!".

Had Rick done this, the Crowes would have probably followed a normal path as a band... ("Hey Chris! Behaving like a d!ck again? Want some beating to set you straight? No? Good boy!")
What a pity! confused smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 12, 2019 17:22

dcba
keefriff99
they've reconciled to a point.

Mmmmm... they've been at war since they were kids (with Rick being at the receiving end). In his book Gorman writes that the very 1st time he witnessed Chris attacking Rick he told the guitarist : "why don't you whack him in the face real good? After that he'll leave you alone for the rest of your life!".

Had Rick done this, the Crowes would have probably followed a normal path as a band... ("Hey Chris! Behaving like a d!ck again? Want some beating to set you straight? No? Good boy!")
What a pity! confused smiley

the thing about them going out with hired guns instead of alumni band members kind of sucks too. salaries vs band splits. the whole thing doesn't feel right.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 12, 2019 17:39

MelBelli
Check out this audience video of “Sister Luck”: you have to squint to see the rest of the band. Right down to lighting design, this is all about the brothers.

[youtu.be]

I always thought this tune was a not-so-subtle ripoff of Knockin' on Heavens Door until the chorus comes in, and from there it sounds like a Skynyrd or a Greg Allman solo tune

Date: November 12, 2019 17:42

Hairball
MelBelli

[youtu.be]

I always thought this tune was a not-so-subtle ripoff of Knockin' on Heavens Door until the chorus comes in, and from there it sounds like a Skynyrd or a Greg Allman solo tune

As far as Rich’s part is concerned, it’s a straight-up rewrite of “Sway.”

Date: November 12, 2019 17:50

MelBelli
Hairball
MelBelli

[youtu.be]

Yep.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: November 12, 2019 17:59

Rich has said in interviews he wants to play live with MT but that will never happen yes that is Sway they listened to a lot of stones when they made Shake Your Money Maker.

Date: November 12, 2019 18:00

MelBelli
Hairball
MelBelli

[youtu.be]

Only watched a few seconds of the live video you posted, but yes, his solo and "tribute" to Sway is especially noticeable on the studio version.
When you can hear so many bits that have been directly lifted from other songs, it makes it all difficult to listen to (imo)- and that usually goes for any band.
It's as if they put Knockin on Heavens Door in a blender (both Dylan and G'N'R cover version), and then topped it off with some Sway, and the final results don't sound very original.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: November 12, 2019 18:16

It was good. Not great, but a solid performance and Im sure they will get better as the tour goes on. Overall a great RocknRoll show!
IORR for the encore was killer!
Looking forward to seeing them next summer.
Good videos in this article -

[www.jambase.com]

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: November 12, 2019 18:23

carlitosbaez
And the Black Crowes finished their show with....

[youtu.be]

Carlitos
Tenerife

Did you shoot this video?
Were you the one sitting on the barstool in the middle of everyone standing?
Not too cool.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: November 12, 2019 19:06

And a Tarheel as well smileys with beer Audley that is. The quote option did not work

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-12 19:07 by StonedAsiaExile.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: November 12, 2019 19:11

The Robinson Brothers not the Crowes - Rich had to make hand gestures and steped back on Twice as Hard to guide band to the end of the song. Backup players handled it well.

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: November 12, 2019 19:13

I don't think I will be seeing them in September when they roll into Phoenix.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: November 12, 2019 19:19

[www.youtube.com]
Oops, this IORR was here already. I'd delete this if I could...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-12 19:27 by padre69.

Date: November 12, 2019 19:35

Anyone who read Gorman’s book will recognize the irony of them covering IORR.

Date: November 12, 2019 20:45

MelBelli

which they may have done on purpose because of the book

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: November 12, 2019 21:48

MelBelli

....didn't read the book.

please explain.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 12, 2019 21:52

[i.redd.it]

Funny to see after hearing the Howard interview.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 12, 2019 21:58

RollingFreak
[i.redd.it]

Funny to see after hearing the Howard interview.
WOW.

Chris is some piece of work. He's either genuinely changed, or he's a really good actor based on yesterday's appearance.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: November 12, 2019 22:03

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-12 22:04 by mr edward.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: November 12, 2019 22:05

stickyfingers101
MelBelli

please explain.

Context: It's 1998, By Your Side sessions, trying to strip down the jamming and find a way back to the rock sound of Shake Your Money Maker...

Gorman writes:

'Once back in the studio, Kalodner made a suggestion. "How about IORR?"
No one said a word. We were stunned.
Kalodner continued, "Don (president Columbia) and the staff thin it will be an international hit. A absolute smash. Do this one right, and it'll change everything."
Chris, of all people, said, "@#$%& it. Let's give it a shot."
As we started playing through the song, familiarizing ourselves with it, Rich finally pulled the plug.
"I can't do this. This isn't real. 'Hard to Handle' was great because we were just playing a song we loved. This won't work."
And that was the end of that. We all recognized, actually, that Rich was right. So we bailed.
To us, even considering the suggestion indicated we were willing to be team players. To Don Ienner, our passing on the suggestion was a direct snub and indicated we weren't worth another minute of his time.
This turned out to be the final straw, because we'd already made one decission that had pissed him off back in May, and Don didn't give anyone a third chance to spurn him...

After By Your Side came out, Columbia made no effort whatsoever to promote the album. It turned out to be a commercial flop.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 12, 2019 22:09

That's a weird story...I don't think covering IORR in 1999 would have made a damn bit of difference to the success or failure of that album, which BTW was DAMN solid.

It was probably the last time I really gave the Crowes a good listen. Lion didn't do much for me when I gave it a spin a few years later.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: November 12, 2019 22:11

mr edward
stickyfingers101
MelBelli

please explain.

Context: It's 1998, By Your Side sessions, trying to strip down the jamming and find a way back to the rock sound of Shake Your Money Maker...

Gorman writes:

'Once back in the studio, Kalodner made a suggestion. "How about IORR?"
No one said a word. We were stunned.
Kalodner continued, "Don (president Columbia) and the staff thin it will be an international hit. A absolute smash. Do this one right, and it'll change everything."
Chris, of all people, said, "@#$%& it. Let's give it a shot."
As we started playing through the song, familiarizing ourselves with it, Rich finally pulled the plug.
"I can't do this. This isn't real. 'Hard to Handle' was great because we were just playing a song we loved. This won't work."
And that was the end of that. We all recognized, actually, that Rich was right. So we bailed.
To us, even considering the suggestion indicated we were willing to be team players. To Don Ienner, our passing on the suggestion was a direct snub and indicated we weren't worth another minute of his time.
This turned out to be the final straw, because we'd already made one decission that had pissed him off back in May, and Don didn't give anyone a third chance to spurn him...

After By Your Side came out, Columbia made no effort whatsoever to promote the album. It turned out to be a commercial flop.

check...thanks.

TBC are a mess...haha!

this tour is a money-grab and a promo for a R&R Hall of Fame induction push.

I'll wait till they go back to the clubs and bars

OT: Black Crowes 2020 reunion
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 12, 2019 23:49

Bob Lefsetz shared an email he received from promoter Danny Zelisko:

Long live rock indeed! What a surprise. Rich and Chris and no other members? I guess they were too busy for this? Oh well. Good to see the brothers are talking anyway. They are both terrific musicians, but not sure about "gods." Talented yet troubled rock stars acting out in public, yes, but gods is a bit much. That’s a Hendrix word. Stevie Ray. Morrison. Lennon. You know. THEY are rock gods.

Pointing out the obvious, BC weren’t doing arenas and amps at their height, in fact, when they broke up, we were trying to make up my canceled date at Mesa Arts Center, which is 1500 cap, and not sold out. Does breaking up and going away for 7 years make more people want to see them? Is it just me as I don’t grok the size of these venues for them to play, as a promoter or as a fan?

I really do wish them the best, regardless of the fact I didn’t get a call to be involved somehow after having done many shows with them in the past, and endured some rough times, in the midst of all the chaos. As one of the only independent promoters who still gets up and books stuff everyday and actually works each show, I am worried for this tour.
I wouldn’t have been in on this "reunion", as everything I know says they are worth 1000-3000 seats – nothing wrong with that! Unless you are trying to sell 10 or 20000 tickets. So I wish all involved the best, I never want to see anyone not do great, even when they do forget my number in too many cases, due to these fantastic tour offers.

We do need more rock groups, new and old. With all the chaos. No question. It’s too quiet out here. Shake it up, boys! Make money, not friends.

[lefsetz.com]

Date: November 13, 2019 00:42

The fact they’re trying to fill sheds *shocked* me. They did not play those venues at the height of their popularity. I’m sure they’re seeing data that we’re not seeing; that WSJ article from last month, about Gen X live rock nostalgia, hinted at big numbers.

But I just don’t see it. Relative to boomers and millennials, Gen X is smallish in number and market strength. It could be that the brothers have been convinced that they’re going to attract swaths of fans of other bands from the era. Who knows. Above my pay grade.

Date: November 13, 2019 02:48

Danny Zelisko says: "Make money, not friends" - should have been the title of the tour.

Looking at the L.A. Forum show and only about 1/3 sold, and many of those are up for resale from scalpers.

VIP packages as high as $750? Who do they think they are, the Rolling Stones?!!!

Date: November 13, 2019 04:18

MelBelli
The fact they’re trying to fill sheds *shocked* me. They did not play those venues at the height of their popularity. I’m sure they’re seeing data that we’re not seeing; that WSJ article from last month, about Gen X live rock nostalgia, hinted at big numbers.

But I just don’t see it. Relative to boomers and millennials, Gen X is smallish in number and market strength. It could be that the brothers have been convinced that they’re going to attract swaths of fans of other bands from the era. Who knows. Above my pay grade.

Live Nation waved lots of money at them. I'm sure that they aren't assuming any risk on the deal other than the optics of the whole thing. If the tour stiffs, will be interesting to see the knives come out.

Date: November 13, 2019 04:24

Hairball
Danny Zelisko says: "Make money, not friends" - should have been the title of the tour.

Looking at the L.A. Forum show and only about 1/3 sold, and many of those are up for resale from scalpers.

VIP packages as high as $750? Who do they think they are, the Rolling Stones?!!!

Much the same here. Promoter is actually pulling the platinum seat scam. Good luck with that. Since Live Nation is owned by Ticketmaster or vice versa not really feeling a lot of sympathy here!

Date: November 13, 2019 14:10

just saw a clip on Howard Stern's show of the brothers doing "Talks to Angels" with a band. Not sure if that was Dan Auerbach on slide with them; not sure if clip is new either.
Still - Chris is still one of the great rock'n roll singers around, and Rich is still as boring as cardboard.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: November 13, 2019 14:34

Hairball

They're coming back with the hope the 6-7 year lay-off will have enough of a nostalgia factor to put them into that bigger league; LA Forum sized venues with VIP prices competitively priced against other shed-filling acts. I cannot see the Black Crowes selling out arena tours, but I'm sure we will see..

I loved the Crowes back in the day; Southern Harmony is brilliant, still sound vibrant and soulful. Amorica had a few less than stellar tracks but more than made for it with the others - Descending, Gone, Wiser Time (what a song!), NonFiction. Some absolutely wonderful playing on that one. Three Snakes wasn't as good; at the time I really enjoyed the more concise feel of it, but listening in years past I don't find it an enthralling at all as their best. By Your Side - still grand and great. Loved it then, love it now.

I wasn't in for Lions, and only heard Warpaint and Before the Flood a handful of times.I must investigate those later Crowes albums, and the Lost Crowes double album also.

The brothers are back, but no Gorman, or any other alumni. Hard to see it as anything musical or artistic,; the principals back without the need to split the money with former members who would surely have some commercial clout with regards to the proceeds.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1796
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home