Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 24
Re: OT: Black Crowes 2020 reunion?
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 18, 2019 22:06

MelBelli
So I finished the book (...) Rich’s snub — disrespectful in its offhandedness — was enough for Page to say “Why bother?” The end was *abrupt*: Right after the “Tonight Show,” Page split without explanation.

Acc to the book the bros sabotaged the friendship with Plan cos they were tired of playing in a cover band. Very stupid indeed.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: October 18, 2019 22:29

keefriffhard4life
MelBelli
So I finished the book, and the story about Page is somewhat more than just “Rich turned down my offer to co-write songs.” It was against the backdrop of the affiliation with Page basically rescuing their career. And the back problems were real, required surgery. He was willing to postpone the medical procedure and finish the tour, but Rich’s snub — disrespectful in its offhandedness — was enough for Page to say “Why bother?” The end was *abrupt*: Right after the “Tonight Show,” Page split without explanation.

rescue their career? maybe look up the bands sales and chart placements from 1990-2000 compared to what jimmy page was doing. the band pretty much was a gold selling band until the broke up around 2002

I totally agree with you - I'm just guessing the Robinson brothers are just 2 egotistical dicks and Jimmy had enough... That simple

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: October 18, 2019 22:41

keefriffhard4life
MelBelli
So I finished the book, and the story about Page is somewhat more than just “Rich turned down my offer to co-write songs.” It was against the backdrop of the affiliation with Page basically rescuing their career. And the back problems were real, required surgery. He was willing to postpone the medical procedure and finish the tour, but Rich’s snub — disrespectful in its offhandedness — was enough for Page to say “Why bother?” The end was *abrupt*: Right after the “Tonight Show,” Page split without explanation.

rescue their career? maybe look up the bands sales and chart placements from 1990-2000 compared to what jimmy page was doing. the band pretty much was a gold selling band until the broke up around 2002

That’s just not true. Sales declined with each album. “By Your Side” tanked. The six initial dates with Page and the “Live at the Greek” album were instrumental in securing them a deal with V2 Records (which Chris demolished with the first “hiatus”).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-18 22:42 by MelBelli.

Date: October 18, 2019 22:43

“Lions,” with Don Was and post-Page momentum, did somewhat better than BYS, but was still a disappointment in terms of sales.

Date: October 19, 2019 02:02

MelBelli
keefriffhard4life
MelBelli

That’s just not true. Sales declined with each album. “By Your Side” tanked. The six initial dates with Page and the “Live at the Greek” album were instrumental in securing them a deal with V2 Records (which Chris demolished with the first “hiatus”).

sales were lower as the band got less commercial sounding. every album the band released prior to the page tour is eligible to be certified gold now. the label just doesn't do it

Date: October 19, 2019 02:45

keefriffhard4life
MelBelli
keefriffhard4life
MelBelli

sales were lower as the band got less commercial sounding. every album the band released prior to the page tour is eligible to be certified gold now. the label just doesn't do it

We’re not actually disagreeing on much here. But it’s worth noting that BYS was an attempt to recover some commercial appeal — and it flopped badly.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 19, 2019 04:45

I imagine if they weren't dickheads and had remained friendly with Page, their sales would have increased tenfold vs. declined steadily. Whether Page contributed solid material or not is beside the point - his name alone would have carried alot of weight amongst the masses. And had the tour with Page continued, their credibility amongst many would have also increased. Should also be said that Pages career at that point might have taken a turn for the better vs. going into stagnation - he could have had a decent younger backing band to play live with (and maybe record with) similar to the way Neil Young has done with Promise of the Real.

But despite the soap opera, no doubt the Black Crowes were given a huge boost by their limited association with Page ("securing them a deal with V2 Records") - unfortunately for them they threw it away and sort of dissolved in to nothing. So wondering where this all will lead...will there be a reunion in 2020? And if so, will anybody really care other than the few diehards who still like them? Times have changed since then, and not sure how well retro/classic rock will translate in todays world. Maybe they can team up with other similar bands like Greta Van Fleet for a tour and get another boost from the association. Otherwise, they might end up playing at County Fairs and half empty theaters.

Date: October 19, 2019 05:32

Hairball
I imagine if they weren't dickheads and had remained friendly with Page, their sales would have increased tenfold vs. declined steadily. Whether Page contributed solid material or not is beside the point - his name alone would have carried alot of weight amongst the masses. And had the tour with Page continued, their credibility amongst many would have also increased. Should also be said that Pages career at that point might have taken a turn for the better vs. going into stagnation - he could have had a decent younger backing band to play live with (and maybe record with) similar to the way Neil Young has done with Promise of the Real.

But despite the soap opera, no doubt the Black Crowes were given a huge boost by their limited association with Page ("securing them a deal with V2 Records") - unfortunately for them they threw it away and sort of dissolved in to nothing. So wondering where this all will lead...will there be a reunion in 2020? And if so, will anybody really care other than the few diehards who still like them? Times have changed since then, and not sure how well retro/classic rock will translate in todays world. Maybe they can team up with other similar bands like Greta Van Fleet for a tour and get another boost from the association. Otherwise, they might end up playing at County Fairs and half empty theaters.

increased ten fold? this thread is hilarious. pages albums with plant were barely selling better than the crowes releases at that time. a ten fold increases means you are saying the bands studio album released after the page tour would have sold over 3 million copies as lions right now is over 300k . page hadn't had an album sell that much since the 1970's lol

Date: October 19, 2019 05:59

keefriffhard4life
Hairball

increased ten fold? this thread is hilarious. pages albums with plant were barely selling better than the crowes releases at that time. a ten fold increases means you are saying the bands studio album released after the page tour would have sold over 3 million copies as lions right now is over 300k . page hadn't had an album sell that much since the 1970's lol

Obviously tenfold was an exaggeration and not to be taken literally, but not sure why you keep repeating the fact that Page wasn't as successful as he was in the '70s - I totally get that and have agreed with you several times now. I even just said that if they're collaboration would have continued, it could have been a win-win for both of them - "Pages career at that point might have taken a turn for the better vs. going into stagnation" while the Black Crowes would have been elevated because of their association with Page. Not sure if you just hate Jimmy Page, or resent the fact that he lent a hand and worked with the Black Crowes...maybe both? Whatever the case, no denying the Black Crowes were huge Page/Zeppelin fans - enough to be his backing band for a tour (give or take a few Black Crowes tunes), but unfortunately they seemingly took it all for granted and basically threw it all away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-19 06:01 by Hairball.

Date: October 19, 2019 06:10

Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball

Obviously tenfold was an exaggeration and not to be taken literally, but not sure why you keep repeating the fact that Page wasn't as successful as he was in the '70s - I totally get that and have agreed with you several times now. I even just said that if they're collaboration would have continued, it could have been a win-win for both of them - "Pages career at that point might have taken a turn for the better vs. going into stagnation" while the Black Crowes would have been elevated because of their association with Page. Not sure if you just hate Jimmy Page, or resent the fact that he lent a hand and worked with the Black Crowes...maybe both? Whatever the case, no denying the Black Crowes were huge Page/Zeppelin fans - enough to be his backing band for a tour (give or take a few Black Crowes tunes), but unfortunately they seemingly took it all for granted and basically threw it all away.

what i am is someone who is realistic and knows a studio album between page and the crowes would have sold maybe 600k at most. thats really not some big ground breaking number and had they released a second studio album my guess it would have sold less than that as the novelty had worn off after one album.

Date: October 19, 2019 06:46

keefriffhard4life
what i am is someone who is realistic and knows a studio album between page and the crowes would have sold maybe 600k at most. thats really not some big ground breaking number and had they released a second studio album my guess it would have sold less than that as the novelty had worn off after one album.

Not so sure about that - had Page been involved I certainly would have bought a copy, and there are many thousands of others who would have done the same.
But since you're so-called "someone who is realistic and knows" (lol), even to the point of calculating the numbers it would have sold, there's not much point in speculating any further.

Date: October 19, 2019 12:05

"In a matter of minutes, we were unloading in the courtyard at The Stones’ hotel [in Basel in 1995]. Immediately, it felt casual again.

“Come on, lads!” Woody yelled. “Let’s go to my room.”
Woody’s “room” had two floors, probably three or four bedrooms, a kitchen, a fully stocked refrigerator, a fully stocked bar, an enormous stereo, and a pool table. It was the size of my house back in Atlanta, but with way better stuff. He had personal effects scattered all around the place. Books, CDs, albums, VHS tapes, journals. It looked like he’d lived there for years. As far as I could tell, he’d been there for three days.
Chris said, “Jesus, Woody, nice place!”
“This is nothing!” Woody replied. “You should see Keith’s room!”
We stayed until sunrise drinking, throwing darts, shooting pool, playing records, and watching old Tommy Cooper videos. (Cooper was an English comedian who’d died about a decade earlier and Woody loved him.) It was pretty much exactly what you’d hope a night with Woody would be. Chuck and Bobby showed up, along with Darryl Jones, The Stones’ new bassist. Mick and Charlie never made it by, but after a few hours Keith actually rolled in. He had a drink and then asked, “All right, guys, who’s got a little something? I could use a pick-me-up.”
“Wait just a minute!” Ed drawled. “Did you just come down here and ask if any of us had some blow? Now, you might not be aware of this but, m0therfucker… you’re Keith Richards! You ask the opening band for cocaine? Dude, what happened to you?”
There was a moment of silence. It felt like the scene in a movie where the needle drags across the record. It was awkward as hell. Keith sized up Ed for a few eternal seconds, and then he burst out laughing. Everyone fell in with him.
Only Ed could get away with that. Keith knew full well that Ed had played with Albert Collins and James Cotton, and he fully respected him for it.
“That’s a good point, man. I must be slipping,” Keith said, laughing.
“Lucky for you I got you covered, m0therfucker,” Ed added. Of course he did".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-19 12:07 by dcba.

Date: October 19, 2019 15:06

Hairball
keefriffhard4life

Not so sure about that - had Page been involved I certainly would have bought a copy, and there are many thousands of others who would have done the same.
But since you're so-called "someone who is realistic and knows" (lol), even to the point of calculating the numbers it would have sold, there's not much point in speculating any further.

so the first studio album between page and plant since the 1970's sells a little less than a million copies, an album between page and coverdale sells barely over a million copies but an album between page and the crowes was going to outsell those 2 releases? makes no sense at all. again go look at pages sales numbers in the 90's and explain to me why a 2002 studio album with page and the crowes was going to outsell 2 other page releases that more people were looking forward to. plant and coverdale were a lot more popular too when they did albums with page than the black crowes were in 2002 . the page and crowes live album sales are around 600k so that's what my guess for a studio release is based off of plus the sales of pages more anticipated releases selling roughly the same

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: October 19, 2019 17:51

keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life

so the first studio album between page and plant since the 1970's sells a little less than a million copies, an album between page and coverdale sells barely over a million copies but an album between page and the crowes was going to outsell those 2 releases? makes no sense at all. again go look at pages sales numbers in the 90's and explain to me why a 2002 studio album with page and the crowes was going to outsell 2 other page releases that more people were looking forward to. plant and coverdale were a lot more popular too when they did albums with page than the black crowes were in 2002 . the page and crowes live album sales are around 600k so that's what my guess for a studio release is based off of plus the sales of pages more anticipated releases selling roughly the same

Albums sales across the board were on a downward slope in 1998, when Page & Plant’s “Walking Into Clarksdale” was released (remember MP3’s and Napster?...that album is also pretty disjointed...one listen and you can clearly hear there are to very different artistic perspectives...Jimmy wanted to blaze, and Robert was into something much different.

They were making their money and continuing their legacy by playing incredible shows for that tour. That’s why Page’s carried some much weight...not only because of Zeppelin, but also because he still had ‘it,’ and was proving it onstage. Which is what he did with the Black Crowes...a year later with the Live album and tour...he was proving he could do it again without Plant.

Also the tour with The Who & The Crowes + Jimmy Page was selling extremely well... and had generated quite a lot of buzz...and buzz means dollars.

Dismissing how touring increased in importance in Thai transitional period in the music business is a huge mistake.

And Jimmy Page with the Black Crowes were monsters on the tour...MONSTERS...that’s how good they were playing.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: October 19, 2019 18:39

Nice pro-shot show from a nice era (1993) :

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 19, 2019 20:24

rattler2004
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life

Albums sales across the board were on a downward slope in 1998, when Page & Plant’s “Walking Into Clarksdale” was released (remember MP3’s and Napster?...that album is also pretty disjointed...one listen and you can clearly hear there are to very different artistic perspectives...Jimmy wanted to blaze, and Robert was into something much different.

They were making their money and continuing their legacy by playing incredible shows for that tour. That’s why Page’s carried some much weight...not only because of Zeppelin, but also because he still had ‘it,’ and was proving it onstage. Which is what he did with the Black Crowes...a year later with the Live album and tour...he was proving he could do it again without Plant.

Also the tour with The Who & The Crowes + Jimmy Page was selling extremely well... and had generated quite a lot of buzz...and buzz means dollars.

Dismissing how touring increased in importance in Thai transitional period in the music business is a huge mistake.

And Jimmy Page with the Black Crowes were monsters on the tour...MONSTERS...that’s how good they were playing.

One can only imagine how successful a collaborative studio album between Page and the Crowes would have been (though some seem to already know somehow).
Had the tour continued (which was great by all accounts), they would have had more time to "gel" and write together, and who knows what the quality of music they could have come up with.
Had the Crowes maybe been a bit more open minded to working with Page on writing new material, the sky's the limit and more than likely it would have been bigger than the sum of it's parts imo.
As it stands, when Page was snubbed and disrespected, it sort of threw a wrench in the entire process and all chemistry was lost so unfortunately we'll never really know.
Whatever happened to respecting your elders (Page in this case)? Especially when he was the mastermind of one of the most succesful rock and roll bands in history?
Seems they bit the hand that fed them, but in the end it sort of came back to bite them and eventually they imploded. Maybe it was karma.
Meanwhile, aside from the Ahmet Ertegun Tribute Concert, Page continues to do nothing but remastering/toying with the old Zep catalogue, so it ended up affecting him as well.

EDIT: the lack of success of Page/Coverdale or Page/Plant shouldn't really be a measuring stick for how well a Page/Crowes collaboration could have been imo.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-19 20:45 by Hairball.

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: October 28, 2019 18:35

Black Crows announcement today at Lincoln tunnel, anyone there? Source Dirty Rock Magazine in Spain

[www.facebook.com]

Carlitos
Tenerife

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: October 29, 2019 03:00

They're coming!

[www.jambase.com]

Date: October 29, 2019 10:53

"former drummer Steve Gorman revealed he’s heard rumblings of a reunion and wasn’t asked to participate".

What a surprise! I guess his tell-all book didn't help in getting him back in the band.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 29, 2019 14:54

dcba
"former drummer Steve Gorman revealed he’s heard rumblings of a reunion and wasn’t asked to participate".

What a surprise! I guess his tell-all book didn't help in getting him back in the band.

What did he reveal in the book?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 29, 2019 15:53

Hairball

I respectfully disagree, Hairball. I think there would/will be/is lots of interest in a Crowes (Robinson brothers) reunion tour.

My evidence:

1. Several music loving friends have mentioned it to me.

2. 4 pages on a Stones website.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: October 29, 2019 16:01

Hairball is strangely very much on the (to use his word) "stagnated" Page train for some ungodly reason. I'm not a big Black Crowes fan either (that first album is fantastic, I don't really know the rest) but I have no idea why there's a need to bash them and bring a pointless Jimmy Page argument into the mix. They were very clearly a band in their own right and that little blip in their history does not make or break them. Do you hold some sort of grudge because the singer said he doesn't really like Zeppelin or Robert Plant that much? Thats all I can think.

But I'm not offended in any way, I just think that comparison and needless bringing up of Jimmy Page is extremely strange and doesn't really have anything to do with the discussion here.

Date: October 29, 2019 16:01

RollingFreak
dcba

Everything! I mean lots of thing that are band or music-related. Gorman's book won't win the Puliter but it's a nice way to kill an afternoon.
And surprisingly the most loveable character in the band is keyboard player (and hardcore stoner) Ed Harsch (RIP).
The Robinson bros? Not so much...

Gorman shows how Drakoulias was their Jimmy Miller. He inspired them informed their music and put them on the tracks to greatness. And naturally the bros got rid of him asap. Can you imagine Mick and Keith getting rid of Miller after 1969? eye rolling smiley Yeah the Robinson bros were that stupid (Chris mainly).

There's one big "flaw" in the book though : Gorman never mentions how the mammoth and timeless riff to "No speak no slave" came up...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-29 16:04 by dcba.

Date: October 29, 2019 16:06

RollingFreak
dcba

Check page 2 of this thread.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: October 29, 2019 16:20

Interesting. Yeah, its no surprise they are dicks. Many bands are, so to hold that against them seems strange. People love Oasis and those guys are massive pricks, at least Liam is. Usually the music just has to outweigh it. I do love me some band drama though.

Date: October 29, 2019 19:52

RollingFreak
Hairball is strangely very much on the (to use his word) "stagnated" Page train for some ungodly reason. I'm not a big Black Crowes fan either (that first album is fantastic, I don't really know the rest) but I have no idea why there's a need to bash them and bring a pointless Jimmy Page argument into the mix. They were very clearly a band in their own right and that little blip in their history does not make or break them. Do you hold some sort of grudge because the singer said he doesn't really like Zeppelin or Robert Plant that much? Thats all I can think.

But I'm not offended in any way, I just think that comparison and needless bringing up of Jimmy Page is extremely strange and doesn't really have anything to do with the discussion here.

Uhhh....if you read the thread from page one, you would see the topic was brought up by someone else, and is a big talking point of Gorman's book.
The conversation evolved from there amongst keefriffhard4life and several others chiming in, and the last comment I made on it was over a week ago.
Not sure what your problem is (though it's clear you have one), but maybe you need to do some homework before you start making things personal.

EDIT:
From page one of this thread:
Rolling Stone

6. Rich Robinson’s snub of Jimmy Page derailed the Black Crowes’ 55-date tour with the Led Zeppelin guitarist after just 11 shows.
The pairing of Page with the Crowes gave the dysfunctional band a shot in the arm in 2000 and set them up for a successful year of touring. But following an appearance on The Tonight Show, Page, who was battling back problems, mysteriously disappeared, and the tour was canceled. Gorman learned the real reason why Page left from the man himself a year and a half later. According to the drummer’s recollection, Page told him that he offered to write songs with the Robinson brothers for their next record, but Rich blew him off with a “No thanks! … We don’t need more songs.” “I was insulted,” Page said to Gorman, who furiously called the Crowes’ manager and told him, “I’m driving to Connecticut, and I’m going to kill Rich in his home.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-29 19:57 by Hairball.

Date: October 29, 2019 20:01

Hairball
RollingFreak

Uhhh....if you read the thread from page one, you would see the topic was brought up by someone else, and is a big talking point of Gorman's book.
The conversation evolved from there amongst keefriffhard4life and several others chiming in, and the last comment I made on it was over a week ago.
Not sure what your problem is (though it's clear you have one), but maybe you need to do some homework before you start making things personal.

Right, and I was responding to Elmo about your post. Is that not allowed? Not trying to make things personal, I'm just aware of how it goes based off history. If you'd like me to leave I have no problem doing that. Not in any way trying to start THIS back up again cause it just leads literally nowhere (as can be seen by the back and forth with keef). So whatever will make this end faster is preferred by me, which is usually me just telling you you're right. What seemed strange about it is its a Black Crowes thread, clearly you're no fan of them, yet you monopolized quite a bit of it. But you're right, this was over a week ago. Not meaning to drag you back into things and trust me, I regret responding to Elmo's post.

Back to actual matters, damn interesting interviews and articles with Steve. Then again, this "reunion" also doesn't seem all that different from GNR's. No reunions these days seem to really be about a true partnership coming back together. Its about money, and its about leaving others out that want more of it, like GNR did with Izzy Stradlin. I'm in no way surprised by the way it looks like this Black Crowes reformation is going. Its what I'd expect when you hate each other that much. Its what I'd expect from Oasis as well when they inevitably reunite. There's too few bands that made a legitimate impact since the 80s that the ones that did will 100% seize their opportunity at it whenever they feel they want to cash in.

Date: October 29, 2019 20:17

RollingFreak
Right, and I was responding to Elmo about your post....Not meaning to drag you back into things...

You wouldn't have had to had you read the thread from the beginning, and you did address me directly with a question in your post.
Seems you jumped on the chance to add your personal negativity no matter the context, but not surprising as that seems your modus operandi.

Elmo Lewis
Hairball

I respectfully disagree, Hairball. I think there would/will be/is lots of interest in a Crowes (Robinson brothers) reunion tour.

My evidence:

1. Several music loving friends have mentioned it to me.

2. 4 pages on a Stones website.

Surely there's a possibility Elmo - especially amongst diehard fans of the band (as I mentioned), but generally speaking it might be tougher for them to come anywhere near their former success in todays world.
Seems they're off to a decent start by taking a page out of the Stones' book with placing their logo everywhere - from social media to freeway overpasses, etc.

A few questions to ponder....
Will they record and release some new music? Or will it be just a tour with them cashing in on their past catalogue?
And if there is some new music, will they cover another classic soul tune ala Otis's Hard to Handle? Or maybe they'll do a Stones cover?
And will they mend ways with Jimmy Page for possible collaboration in the studio and/or a live show? Maybe even for just a song or two?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-29 20:24 by Hairball.

Date: October 29, 2019 20:47

I think:

1. No new music, only in it for the cash. $100,000 yearly reefer bill demands it! LOL

2. A cover song might be great - and they often played Stones songs live. Maybe some gem by the Animals, Steppenwolf, or Shondells.

3. Not seeing Jimmy in the picture.

All that said, money changes everything. smoking smiley

Date: October 29, 2019 21:10

I would think its just the two of them and then whatever musicians don't mind getting paid shit because you're on tour with "The Black Crowes". I would love to see Jackie Greene with them, he's fantastic. But I just can't imagine anyone with actual talent wanting to put up with their shit. Sure its gonna be a big tour, but the two of them will be making most of the dough, so why bother?

Jimmy Page is never leaving his house again. 18 years and one show in that time is evidence of that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-29 21:11 by RollingFreak.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1826
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home