Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 24
Re: OT: Black Crowes 2020 reunion?
Date: October 16, 2019 20:58

Hairball
keefriffhard4life
"look how many releases rich and chris have had since 2000 and page has had ZERO"

Again, valid point. But whatever they have released since 2000 has been completely forgettable - at least I don't remember any of it.
Seems they came on the scene at the right time with some retro/classic/rehash rock - and were pretty much a breath of not-so-fresh air for the masses.
Consider what else was popular at the time - Grunge. Now there's Greta Van Fleet to carry on where the Black Crowes left off - regurgitating classic rock for those who are hungry it.

songs I remember off the top of my head after 2000
soul singing
lickin
losing my mind
locust street
safe in the arms of love
40 days
mother of stone
yesterday I saw you

that's all I remember but to be honest I haven't listened to every album they released a ton. I know FLUX by rich the entire album was impressive

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: October 16, 2019 21:35

I enjoyed the Crowes back in the day and still listen to them today. I did see them live in the early 90's at the Queen Elizabeth Theater in Vancouver they are a great live band. I would go see them again if they do tour, I'm a sucker for cash grabs... haha

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 16, 2019 21:49

Sorry hairball disagree completely. war paint is an amazing album and incredible comeback for them.Lions is also a great album it’s their Led Zeppelin album they made right after tutoring with Page. A lot of what I’ve read about the whole thing with Page was both Rich and Chris also felt a bit self-conscious that it took them covering Led Zeppelin to make a big comeback. And they wanted to go in their own direction and write their own material. Good for them! I do have several boots from that to her and it’s cool here and Paige play on the crowes songs.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 16, 2019 21:56

No need to apologize whitem8 as we all have our opinions. thumbs up

Date: October 16, 2019 23:11

Before The Frost... Until The Freeze (2009) is among their top 3 albums, imo. Warpaint is really good as well.

Date: October 16, 2019 23:23

saw the crowes at shepherd's bush in the summer of 2011. fantastic show. page joined them for the encore. all appeared friendly amongst them. did not seem as if there were any hard feelings between jimmy and either robinson.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 16, 2019 23:45

The last three records warpaint.Frost, Until the Freeze were great and some of the best songwriting by Chris ever with the Crowe’s. One could argue that Chris at that time in his 40,s still had something relevant to say and write about with Chris it’s always about the next great song or lyric that’s what motivates him which he has stated in interviews

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: October 16, 2019 23:52

DandelionPowderman
Before The Frost... Until The Freeze (2009) is among their top 3 albums, imo. Warpaint is really good as well.

agree

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: October 17, 2019 00:07

agree, lot of great songs in the last 3 records:

Soul singing
Wounded bird
We who see the deep
Moving on down the line
Good morning captain
Kept my soul
The last place love lives
Garden gate
Shine along...

wounded bird
Good morning captain

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: October 17, 2019 00:11

Welcome to the Goodtimes! Fantastic song from a very strong album!

video: [youtu.be]

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: October 17, 2019 01:41

Some of before the frost after the freeze is very good! Top notch. Some of the songs are horrid. And some of Chris’s worst lyrics.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: October 17, 2019 02:30

Youtube Jones Beach Crowes/Page: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 17, 2019 04:06

Dan
Well, the brothers don't owe him anything. So, what does he owe them?

He owes the Robinson brothers the fact that anyone would even interview him or see him play with another band. He owes them a career.

He owes Black Crowes fans everything and really shouldn't try to turn them against the guys who wrote everything and sang everything and played the riffs that formed the foundation of their sound. Imagine Charlie leaving decades ago, writing a tell-all book, and trying to discourage fans from seeing The Stones in say 1989.

Finally, he owes himself the dignity to be his best self in public and not an embittered man deriving pleasure from carrying on a feud publicly, settling old scores by trying to expose their personal shortcomings. It will come back around and bite him.

Do I feel any empathy for his turning down being relegated to a sideman? Of course. That doesn't justify his retaliatory behavior.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 17, 2019 11:26

Rocky Dijon
Dan

He owes the Robinson brothers the fact that anyone would even interview him or see him play with another band. He owes them a career.

He owes Black Crowes fans everything and really shouldn't try to turn them against the guys who wrote everything and sang everything and played the riffs that formed the foundation of their sound. Imagine Charlie leaving decades ago, writing a tell-all book, and trying to discourage fans from seeing The Stones in say 1989.

Finally, he owes himself the dignity to be his best self in public and not an embittered man deriving pleasure from carrying on a feud publicly, settling old scores by trying to expose their personal shortcomings. It will come back around and bite him.

Do I feel any empathy for his turning down being relegated to a sideman? Of course. That doesn't justify his retaliatory behavior.

Fully agree,

That is also the reason why Stone Alone left me with a sour taste.

Gorman without any doubt was an integral part of the Crowes sound.

Remember seeing them at the "reunion tour" of the time, back in 2005, at the Hammerstein Ballroom in NY. Marc Ford was there, they all were there, save Gorman, and it was not the same thing. By the time they played the Fillmore (as you can see on the excellent Freak and Roll DVD) Gorman was back and somehow the music sounded … "right" again!

C

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 17, 2019 11:32

Rocky Dijon
Dan

That career is over

Maybe he owes them an explanation. Your average Live Nation customer probably isn't buying many books anyway.

The brothers can also write their own account as well.

Not how he Charlie analogy is really relevent (as there are millions of ex drummers out there) but he is also free to write a book.

None of which really means anything.

They wanted a book, he delivered. Also a job in the entertainment field, much like drummer.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 17, 2019 13:05

From Gorman' book :

"By December of 2010, the band had completely run its course. Chris had checked out entirely. He no longer wanted any part of a band in which he didn’t call every shot. He needed to be completely in control, despite a lengthy track record of calamitous decisions and misguided efforts with very painful consequences."

"Once Chris started using hard drugs [in 1993], Rich looked at it as an opportunity to seize control. But Rich has always been guilty of thinking he is a lot smarter than he is. Most of us are guilty of that, too, but for Rich it’s truly egregious. He really sees himself as a businessman with a brilliant mind. But he has no concept of how business really works"

"during those sessions [for the 1st album], George [Drakoulias] started steering us in that direction. Crucially, he told Rich he should start playing in open tunings. Rich told him he’d already written something in open E, “She Talks to Angels,” but George waved him off.
“No, no, no, try open G, like Keith. You gotta rock it out. Go get some Stones records, check out Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed and Exile. You already play like that, but you don’t know it.”
George was adamant. Study The Stones. We had all heard those records before, of course. But now it was different. Digging into The Rolling Stones suddenly took on a very different meaning".

"Within a few weeks, the [Tall] record was mixed and we all got copies to listen to.
I played mine on my stereo at home once or twice, and tried to talk myself into liking what I heard. It was a tough sell. It was stiff. Dead on arrival.
The battle over what to do next kicked off in earnest. I don’t recall the label being too enthused. Rich hated it, Chris loved it, and the rest of our opinions were valid only if aligned accordingly.
There was a period of limbo for a month and a half. What do we think? Is this really the album? Chris took every comment personally. To suggest something wasn’t quite as good as hoped was an insult to his vision. It was impossible to get a consensus on anything. All I knew was that every time I heard the @#$%& French horn I wanted to throw up.

And then, in a flash, it was over, thanks to The Rolling Stones.
The Stones had set up camp in LA to record their first album in five years, Voodoo Lounge. Don Was, their producer, invited Chris to come by the studio for a hang. He went over one night for a few hours. He heard two songs they had recorded, and they rocked.
Chris called Pete that night and said, ‘‘We have to redo the whole record. The Stones are making a real rock ’n’ roll record, and we have to rock now, too.’’
That was it. Chris spent three hours with The Stones and decided to shelve our new record. His record. The album he pissed away $600,000 on."

"Chris told us one day [around the time of "Amorica"] we were all out of touch; we didn’t really know and understand Black Crowes fans.
“I have a feeling I’m more in touch with them than you are, as you live in the Hollywood Hills and you spend more on weed than most people make in a year,” I replied.
“That’s not @#$%& true.”
“How much do you spend on weed in a year?”
“I don’t know, a hundred grand?” drinking smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-17 17:54 by dcba.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: October 17, 2019 17:24

Some people make me laugh saying the Crowes have no sound and then stick up for Page. For me the Crowes best album is their last, Before The Frost... Until The Freeze.

You only tend to hear the same few Black Crowes songs being played on the radio and other places, which are really not their best songs.

With the said I prefer the Chris Robinson Brotherhood over the Crowes any day. But that is over with the passing of the great Neal Casal

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 17, 2019 17:40

Eh, i'll pass.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 17, 2019 18:51

Hound Dog
Some people make me laugh saying the Crowes have no sound and then stick up for Page.

Some people make me laugh also, but for the opposite reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-17 18:52 by Hairball.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: October 17, 2019 19:08

dcba
From Gorman' book :

"By December of 2010, the band had completely run its course. Chris had checked out entirely. He no longer wanted any part of a band in which he didn’t call every shot. He needed to be completely in control, despite a lengthy track record of calamitous decisions and misguided efforts with very painful consequences."

"Once Chris started using hard drugs [in 1993], Rich looked at it as an opportunity to seize control. But Rich has always been guilty of thinking he is a lot smarter than he is. Most of us are guilty of that, too, but for Rich it’s truly egregious. He really sees himself as a businessman with a brilliant mind. But he has no concept of how business really works"

"during those sessions [for the 1st album], George [Drakoulias] started steering us in that direction. Crucially, he told Rich he should start playing in open tunings. Rich told him he’d already written something in open E, “She Talks to Angels,” but George waved him off.
“No, no, no, try open G, like Keith. You gotta rock it out. Go get some Stones records, check out Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed and Exile. You already play like that, but you don’t know it.”
George was adamant. Study The Stones. We had all heard those records before, of course. But now it was different. Digging into The Rolling Stones suddenly took on a very different meaning".

"Within a few weeks, the [Tall] record was mixed and we all got copies to listen to.
I played mine on my stereo at home once or twice, and tried to talk myself into liking what I heard. It was a tough sell. It was stiff. Dead on arrival.
The battle over what to do next kicked off in earnest. I don’t recall the label being too enthused. Rich hated it, Chris loved it, and the rest of our opinions were valid only if aligned accordingly.
There was a period of limbo for a month and a half. What do we think? Is this really the album? Chris took every comment personally. To suggest something wasn’t quite as good as hoped was an insult to his vision. It was impossible to get a consensus on anything. All I knew was that every time I heard the @#$%& French horn I wanted to throw up.

And then, in a flash, it was over, thanks to The Rolling Stones.
The Stones had set up camp in LA to record their first album in five years, Voodoo Lounge. Don Was, their producer, invited Chris to come by the studio for a hang. He went over one night for a few hours. He heard two songs they had recorded, and they rocked.
Chris called Pete that night and said, ‘‘We have to redo the whole record. The Stones are making a real rock ’n’ roll record, and we have to rock now, too.’’
That was it. Chris spent three hours with The Stones and decided to shelve our new record. His record. The album he pissed away $600,000 on."

"Chris told us one day [around the time of "Amorica"] we were all out of touch; we didn’t really know and understand Black Crowes fans.
“I have a feeling I’m more in touch with them than you are, as you live in the Hollywood Hills and you spend more on weed than most people make in a year,” I replied.
“That’s not @#$%& true.”
“How much do you spend on weed in a year?”
“I don’t know, a hundred grand?” drinking smiley

The chapter about opening for the Stones in 1995 is great. Ed poking fun at Keith for asking *the opening band* for cocaine is priceless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-17 19:08 by MelBelli.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: October 17, 2019 19:25

Money wounds all heels and money is what this is all about. LiveNation needs a big legacy act to put in their amphitheaters next summer. Maybe Chris will have cooled his jets and realize his brother (and the other guys) just put out another terrific Magpie Salute album while he's been plodding along pretending to be relevant. Indeed a Black Crowes tour with Magpie Salute opening would be fantastic. Let the audience decide.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: October 17, 2019 19:39

Don't get me wrong I love Jimmy Page, but did he not use past styles of music to influence his music the same way the Black Crowes have. Just different generation of bands and some people who grew up with bands in the 70s seem very bitter to newer bands influenced by classic rock.

Some people also get so sensitive over who stole what when it comes to Jimmy Page. Relax, enjoy the music.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 17, 2019 19:40

DandelionPowderman

Agree, wide variety, and sounded like Chris Robinson took some vocal lessons as his style was noticeably a bit more...not sure how to put it...professional?

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 17, 2019 19:46

Mathijs
SomeGuy
I don't think that there's anything original about how the Crowes sound.

I think that they were quite an unique mix of existing bands and music styles. They sure had a sound of their own.

And on a good day they could blow any band off the stage.

Mathijs

Agreed although some tours they seemed like they were just going through the motions or phoning it in.

Seen them many times, some fantastic shows, some very mediocre.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: October 17, 2019 23:22

rbk
Money wounds all heels and money is what this is all about. LiveNation needs a big legacy act to put in their amphitheaters next summer. Maybe Chris will have cooled his jets and realize his brother (and the other guys) just put out another terrific Magpie Salute album while he's been plodding along pretending to be relevant. Indeed a Black Crowes tour with Magpie Salute opening would be fantastic. Let the audience decide.

I saw Magpie Salute once this year. Thought it sucked and would have left if I wasn't taping. Have seen close to 100 bands/shows this year and it is bottom 5.

Date: October 18, 2019 15:51

I disagree. I saw Magpie salute twice and both shows were absolutely fantastic. Very tight band and rocking. With some great deep cuts thrown in. They did an amazing version of Ronnie lanes April’s Fool! For me the Magpie Salute rocked. It was a rock ‘n’ roll show with some amazing jams. Whereas the Chris Robinson brotherhood is a jam band copying the dead. Which I loath. And that’s been a big rub between Chris and Rich is Chris’s totally embracing of all things grateful dead much to the chagrin of rich and the other bandmates.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-18 16:19 by whitem8.

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: October 18, 2019 21:20

I will miss a lot Eddie Harsch. Key member for the Crowes sound. In the league of Nicky Hopkins or McLagan, feeling everywhere

Date: October 18, 2019 21:33

So I finished the book, and the story about Page is somewhat more than just “Rich turned down my offer to co-write songs.” It was against the backdrop of the affiliation with Page basically rescuing their career. And the back problems were real, required surgery. He was willing to postpone the medical procedure and finish the tour, but Rich’s snub — disrespectful in its offhandedness — was enough for Page to say “Why bother?” The end was *abrupt*: Right after the “Tonight Show,” Page split without explanation.

Date: October 18, 2019 21:56

And his justification for writing the book, which he delivers with a swift finishing kick in the last few pages, seems sound to me. As he sees it, the band, properly understood, is lying somewhere in an unmarked grave with “no fixed location.” The book is his attempt a “Here lies the Black Crowes” epitaph.

It is funny and merciless, the whole thing. Towards the end, he seems to speak directly at the brothers. Replying in retrospect to Rich’s “no thanks, we have plenty of great songs” to Page, he’s like, Oh yeah? What great songs are those? “Lickin’ and Greasy Grass @#$%& River?”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-18 21:57 by MelBelli.

Date: October 18, 2019 22:04

MelBelli
So I finished the book, and the story about Page is somewhat more than just “Rich turned down my offer to co-write songs.” It was against the backdrop of the affiliation with Page basically rescuing their career. And the back problems were real, required surgery. He was willing to postpone the medical procedure and finish the tour, but Rich’s snub — disrespectful in its offhandedness — was enough for Page to say “Why bother?” The end was *abrupt*: Right after the “Tonight Show,” Page split without explanation.

rescue their career? maybe look up the bands sales and chart placements from 1990-2000 compared to what jimmy page was doing. the band pretty much was a gold selling band until the broke up around 2002

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2016
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home