Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 24
Re: OT: Black Crowes 2020 reunion?
Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: October 15, 2019 18:19

Gorman should just keep quiet about all this.
Not helping him at all with these comments.

[www.jambase.com]

Date: October 15, 2019 18:24

so in gormans book he makes a vague comment about giving rich 3 chances to come clean about something involving money during the last tour and rich didn't fess up to it even though gorman says rich was aware of the issue. doesn't say exactly what it was though but that is his issue with rich now not whatever happened with jimmy page

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: October 15, 2019 18:26

It does appear that he’s trying to scorch the earth before a tour is even announced. And he is, at the same time, trying to sell a book. But it could also be the case that he genuinely doesn’t care what the brothers think anymore, and that he’s been dying to get all this off his chest for a long time.

Worked for me, as I just ordered the book!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 16, 2019 04:42

Dan
Who woulda thunk. Not just a terrible band but they are all total @#$%& too.

Agreed - Jimmy Page was right to abandon ship.

Date: October 16, 2019 05:09

Hairball
Dan

yeah with the great classics page has written sine the 1970's why wouldn't they want him writing tunes with them

Date: October 16, 2019 05:24

keefriffhard4life
Hairball
Dan

yeah with the great classics page has written sine the 1970's why wouldn't they want him writing tunes with them

Valid point, but at the same time what great classics have the Black Crowes written ever?
I'm talking non-derivative completely original tunes - not tunes that have a direct link to this band or that band.
And since the implosion of the band, neither Rich or Chris have come close to writing anything that equals their former band.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 16, 2019 08:54

Hairball
Dan

You know, I JUST read the backstory on the whole Page/Crowes tour debacle. I had no idea they were originally scheduled to do a 55-show tour, and that Page walked away only 11 shows in, citing issues with back pain, while in reality, it was the Robinson brothers being dicks, as usual.

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

I was however EXTREMELY fortunate to have seen this tour in Worcester before it was canned...the DCU Center was just down the road from where I was going to college at the time. It was a fantastic show, and the icing on the cake was Joe Perry (a Bay Stater to the end) coming onstage to play You Shook Me and Oh Well.

Watching Joe and Jimmy playfully one-up each other during the solo section of Oh Well was a truly jaw-dropping experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-16 09:00 by keefriff99.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 16, 2019 10:09

keefriffhard4life
Hairball
Dan

This is all bullshit of course. The one and only reason Page left the tour was his own alcohol and drugs use, which is exactly the same reason why Plant never wanted to do a Zep reunion tour.

The Crowes don't need Page as a songwriter, something he hardly is since the 1970's (when in fairness his songwriting was more like borrowing licks and having Plant write lyrics over it).

The break up of the Crowes was not only because Gorman would become a hired memmber of the band, but because Chris thought he was entitled to be the owner of the brand 'Black Crowes' as he was the face of the band. As with GnR, it basically means that all procedings go to Chris, and all members will become paid members.

Mathijs

Date: October 16, 2019 10:53

Mathijs
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
Dan

This is all bullshit of course. The one and only reason Page left the tour was his own alcohol and drugs use, which is exactly the same reason why Plant never wanted to do a Zep reunion tour.

The Crowes don't need Page as a songwriter, something he hardly is since the 1970's (when in fairness his songwriting was more like borrowing licks and having Plant write lyrics over it).

The break up of the Crowes was not only because Gorman would become a hired memmber of the band, but because Chris thought he was entitled to be the owner of the brand 'Black Crowes' as he was the face of the band. As with GnR, it basically means that all procedings go to Chris, and all members will become paid members.

Mathijs

Plant may have never wanted to do a "Zep reunion" tour, but he did collaborate with Page on new music (Walking into Clarksdale), as well as a couple of tours since the demise of Zep.

As for Page "borrowing licks and having Plant write lyrics over it", clearly that is bullshit - both Page and Plant borrowed/stole from others on the first couple of albums,
After that Page wrote mostly original and iconic music for Zep, while Plant continued to write mediocre lyrics. Great singer no doubt, but lyrically challenged.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: October 16, 2019 11:18

I don't think that there's anything original about how the Crowes sound.

I think that Plant and Page have (or had) a problem with each other about creativity. Also, part of their problem may have been the less than impressive sales of Walking Into Clarksdale (Plant used to be rather sensitive about those things).

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 16, 2019 12:52

SomeGuy

I think that they were quite an unique mix of existing bands and music styles. They sure had a sound of their own.

And on a good day they could blow any band off the stage.

Mathijs

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 16, 2019 13:06

Mathijs
SomeGuy

I think that they were quite an unique mix of existing bands and music styles. They sure had a sound of their own.

And on a good day they could blow any band off the stage.

Mathijs

I wonder which 1 of the brothers got custody of the sacred Humble Pie 8 track tape? grinning smiley

Date: October 16, 2019 15:30

Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
Dan

Valid point, but at the same time what great classics have the Black Crowes written ever?
I'm talking non-derivative completely original tunes - not tunes that have a direct link to this band or that band.
And since the implosion of the band, neither Rich or Chris have come close to writing anything that equals their former band.

well in the 1990's the crowes sold over 10 million albums and singles in the usa. what were the sales of the new page projects in the 90's? maybe 4 million max? the band by that point was coming off a string of hit albums and singles when they were touring with page

Date: October 16, 2019 15:36

Mathijs
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
Dan

Mathijs

in a recent interview doesn't Gorman state when he left in the early 00's and then came back he was never given his 1/3 of the share back ?

Date: October 16, 2019 15:54

Will they bring Johnny back?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 16, 2019 16:04

Love The Crowes' music..... but they do seem like dicks as people. The same could sometimes be said of our heroes. eye rolling smiley

The live thing with Page sounds better than any live Zep stuff. I was pleasantly surprised.

Date: October 16, 2019 16:43

keefriffhard4life

in a recent interview doesn't Gorman state when he left in the early 00's and then came back he was never given his 1/3 of the share back ?

I haven’t read the book yet, but I think the chronology was that Gorman left in the early-2000s and, when asked to come back by management in the mid-00s, he acknowledged that he had given up whatever share he had enjoyed until then.

But when the 25th anniversary tour was being organized, Chris was demanding $$ over and above that. Rich went public with this gripe, seemingly on behalf of everyone besides Chris.

That’s where I thought things stood, until now.

Date: October 16, 2019 17:00

MelBelli
keefriffhard4life

I haven’t read the book yet, but I think the chronology was that Gorman left in the early-2000s and, when asked to come back by management in the mid-00s, he acknowledged that he had given up whatever share he had enjoyed until then.

But when the 25th anniversary tour was being organized, Chris was demanding $$ over and above that. Rich went public with this gripe, seemingly on behalf of everyone besides Chris.

yup that's what I was talking about

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 16, 2019 17:06

Huge Crowes fan here!

Truly don't mind if they get back together for the money.

If I were Live Nation, I would award Chris with a bonus extra $$ for each past member is included in the 2020 lineup.

As they say pencunia non olet, if it makes it possible to hear BC's music played on stage once again by the legitimate BC band!

C

Date: October 16, 2019 17:07

keefriffhard4life
MelBelli
keefriffhard4life

yup that's what I was talking about

I don’t think he demanded his original share. Or at least I haven’t seen a quote to that effect. But whatever Chris was demanding for the anniversary was apparently even worse than what Gorman was getting in the mid—aughts.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 16, 2019 19:31

keefriffhard4life
well in the 1990's the crowes sold over 10 million albums and singles in the usa. what were the sales of the new page projects in the 90's? maybe 4 million max? the band by that point was coming off a string of hit albums and singles when they were touring with page

Seems to me they were one hit wonders who successfully transitioned to "jam band" to pick up the fragmented pieces left over by the demise of the Grateful Dead.

I know LOTS of people who bought the first album but jumped ship by the 2nd.

Yeah I kinda liked the first album era but then when it comes to the numerous retro Faces knockoffs to hit the scene in the early 1990's I would take the Quireboys any day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-16 19:34 by Dan.

Date: October 16, 2019 19:42

keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
Dan

Regardless of what you or I or anyone else thinks about the validity of the Black Crowes (or Page), the fact is they thought enough of Page and Led Zeppelin to commit to an entire tour with Page.
They were basically his backing band for a Led Zeppelin tribute, and they did a fine job considering their knack for being a retro/nostalgia/unoriginal/covers band. Sad for them that Page abandoned the tour (can't blame him), but also shame on them for treating Page with such little respect. At least there's an album that documents the shows ( Live at the Greek) which probably boosted the Black Crowes' overall album sales as well as their egos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-16 19:44 by Hairball.

Date: October 16, 2019 19:51

Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
Dan

Regardless of what you or I or anyone else thinks about the validity of the Black Crowes (or Page), the fact is they thought enough of Page and Led Zeppelin to commit to an entire tour with Page.
They were basically his backing band for a Led Zeppelin tribute, and they did a fine job considering their knack for being a retro/nostalgia/unoriginal/covers band. Sad for them that Page abandoned the tour (can't blame him), but also shame on them for treating Page with such little respect. At least there's an album that documents the shows ( Live at the Greek) which probably boosted the Black Crowes' overall album sales as well as their egos.

shame on them for telling page they already had songs written for the bands next album and thanks but no thanks? anyone who saw the tour sees page was the one who didn't even learn the black crowes tunes. that's respect?

btw the page/black crowes release didn't come out until after the tour so that is not counted in the over 10 million in sales the band had before page asked them about writing together

Date: October 16, 2019 20:16

keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
Dan

shame on them for telling page they already had songs written for the bands next album and thanks but no thanks? anyone who saw the tour sees page was the one who didn't even learn the black crowes tunes. that's respect?

btw the page/black crowes release didn't come out until after the tour so that is not counted in the over 10 million in sales the band had before page asked them about writing together

Why would Page care about learning any Black Crowes songs when there must have been an agreement made that it would be a majority of Zeppelin songs in the setlist to begin with?
The fact is they did play a few Black Crowes songs, but can't blame Page for not wanting to do more as his massive catalogue of Zeppelin tunes outshined anything by the Black Crowes by a million.
I'm sure they felt the same and were ecstatic to be backing Page hoping it would give them more cred, but unfortunately for them it basically imploded - not to mention the friction it caused amongst the band members.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 16, 2019 20:18

A pity Gorman is going the route of airing all the dirty laundry. Sure, it makes for fascinating reading, but it just paints him in a worse light when all is said and done. Could hardly blame the Robinsons for wanting everyone onstage to sign NDAs as employees after the way he behaved. As it is, it just reads as if he's trying to poison the well water for Crowes fans to make sure they don't enjoy what follows.

Zeppelin were great. There's no need to disparage Plant and Page's songwriting. The Crowes were great though there's a generational difference. They can't help it they weren't 20 years old in 1963 the same way Def Leppard can't. One is blasted on here for being too much of their time and the other for looking too far behind them for inspiration. I'm not quite yet 50 myself so I was busy listening to the Stones, the Kinks, Dylan, in the mid to late 1980s and ignoring Metallica, Def Leppard, and the like. To my ears, the Crowes were a breath of fresh air. Sure I knew the original templates they were drawing from. I still love those first two albums and have a soft spot for them for having their hearts in the right direction.

Date: October 16, 2019 20:22

I saw them live in 2001, and they were crap - maybe the dysfunction and bad vibes amongst band members were taking their toll at that point.
As with probably everyone else, I did like a couple of tunes from their first album, but the novelty of the rehash wore off quickly.

Date: October 16, 2019 20:34

Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
Dan

Why would Page care about learning any Black Crowes songs when there must have been an agreement made that it would be a majority of Zeppelin songs in the setlist to begin with?
The fact is they did play a few Black Crowes songs, but can't blame Page for not wanting to do more as his massive catalogue of Zeppelin tunes outshined anything by the Black Crowes by a million.
I'm sure they felt the same and were ecstatic to be backing Page hoping it would give them more cred, but unfortunately for them it basically imploded - not to mention the friction it caused amongst the band members.

the crowes songs they agreed to play live he didn't really learns. that's the point. again the crowes from 1990-1999 had much more success and not sure what they had to gain by writing with someone who by that point the well was dry.look how many releases rich and chris have had since 2000 and page has had ZERO

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: October 16, 2019 20:38

saw them live many, many times...

the Robinsons hate each other...whenever that was apparent on stage, it detracted from the show big time...very Guns n' Roses in that regard.

but when they were getting along, they were great.

Really great example of a band being more than the sum of its parts...

their first two albums are "must haves"....the rest have some good tunes here and there on all of them.

there's a reason they sold 30 million albums.

but, I think they should hang it up as a band.

Jimmy Page is a thief and a pedo...so, he can eat bag.

Date: October 16, 2019 20:42

keefriffhard4life
"look how many releases rich and chris have had since 2000 and page has had ZERO"

Again, valid point. But whatever they have released since 2000 has been completely forgettable - at least I don't remember any of it.
Seems they came on the scene at the right time with some retro/classic/rehash rock - and were pretty much a breath of not-so-fresh air for the masses.
Consider what else was popular at the time - Grunge. Now there's Greta Van Fleet to carry on where the Black Crowes left off - regurgitating classic rock for those who are hungry it.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 16, 2019 20:43

Rocky Dijon
A pity Gorman is going the route of airing all the dirty laundry. Sure, it makes for fascinating reading, but it just paints him in a worse light when all is said and done. Could hardly blame the Robinsons for wanting everyone onstage to sign NDAs as employees after the way he behaved. As it is, it just reads as if he's trying to poison the well water for Crowes fans to make sure they don't enjoy what follows.

Well, the brothers don't owe him anything. So, what does he owe them?

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1583
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home