Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stones song's "road versions" ending in 1989
Posted by: Testify ()
Date: October 12, 2019 19:44

Boh! I loved every tour of their long career, every different tour until we get to the present day. Obviously there are differences, today they are all over 70 years old.
SFTD gets the electric percussion, because they don't have a percussionist able to reproduce them live, all the various versions that I have listened to of SFTD in fact they deviate a lot from the original, which remains in my opinion the best version.
However the today's live sound of the Stones is something extremely fantastic, they have slowed down the pace (Charlie at nearly 80 years of age had a reason for it), but the sound is very heavy and restless, they play a lot about Keith's sounds and interweaving ability and Ronnie and it works.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 12, 2019 23:20

tomcasagranda
I think this began with Mick's solo Japanese gigs in 1988. It's a shame that the road versions have ended. However, that doesn't mean that what they've been doing since 1989 lacks validity.

You just can't imagine them doing what Dylan does on stage though.

From what I remember reading in Bill German's book, "Under Their Thumb" going back and re-arranging the songs the way they sounded was more a Mick business decision. He liked the results of what he did with the Stones tunes that were played during his solo tour and he felt that he wanted to give the fans a more professional tour with fans getting the songs the way they remembered hearing them growing up. PLus, they were returning to the stage after a 7 year absence, competing with other top bands, and charging (at the time) pretty high prices.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 12, 2019 23:57

Rik
Well, this is a roadversion. Mick holds his ears and thanks Ronnie when it’s over: thank goodness

[youtu.be]

does Mick really say 'forgive me'??

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: October 13, 2019 03:20

Interesting to see this is acknowledged by Keith. With very few exceptions, I have not enjoyed the live recordings from Steel Wheels on nearly as much as all those that came before. I never saw the Stones before then, I was too young. I loved witnessing every live show I’ve seen from ‘89 on, but yes, the massive production and bigger band indeed lost my interest musically. There has always been a little disappointment in not hearing those wonderful, loose rearrangements for the stage.

Date: October 13, 2019 15:39

With the 69 setlist they laid out a frame work of how bands would design the flow of a set, of stage sound, of pacing the new rock show.
Where it was one band alone for 90 minutes to 2 hours. They were still filing away the rough edges. Just from the West to the East coast shows a big development. Where the show becomes tighter, and focused. The notion of an acoustic slot; the hard hitters at the start, and then the revving up at the end. It was different from the way James Brown had done it. The Stones, esp. Keith are genius about tempos. HTW and SFM at the end of the show, or GS earlier on, are really not that fast. But you don't notice it. The changes itself, and Charlie and Jagger intensify.
The drama of "we're going to do one more and then we got to go" right into those opening sus chords of SFM are legendary IMO. I always have preferred them closing with SFM over any other song.

Date: October 13, 2019 15:40

Testify
Boh! I loved every tour of their long career, every different tour until we get to the present day. Obviously there are differences, today they are all over 70 years old.
SFTD gets the electric percussion, because they don't have a percussionist able to reproduce them live, all the various versions that I have listened to of SFTD in fact they deviate a lot from the original, which remains in my opinion the best version.
However the today's live sound of the Stones is something extremely fantastic, they have slowed down the pace (Charlie at nearly 80 years of age had a reason for it), but the sound is very heavy and restless, they play a lot about Keith's sounds and interweaving ability and Ronnie and it works.

Are you from Italy, Testify?

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: October 13, 2019 15:51

Iorr: road version from 1975 until now

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: October 13, 2019 18:47

keefriff99
EasterMan
DandelionPowderman
tommycharles
It didn’t last very long, but they technically did the same thing to JJF in ‘89 by adding the studio intro.

They tried once, but it didn't work smiling smiley

Which 1989 show was that?
[www.youtube.com]

Philly soundcheck it says.
They also did the original intro at Toad's Place

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 15, 2019 09:47

As some folks have hinted there are a couple of sides to this one .

Firstly ...do I prefer the gnarly guitar driven road versions of all the songs folks have listed ?

...of course I do ...and that noise is probably what I love most about this band.

But would it be practical today ?
probably not .

In a sense it was that move towards more formally arranged, keyboard and "backing band" heavy versions which first allowed the guitar department to start getting lazy ...to the point where the terrible twins could get away with playing [or not playing] whatever they liked.

Could they for example go back to playing SFTD essentially as arranged in '69 ?

Possibly ...but they might now find it a bit too much like hard work !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-15 12:50 by Spud.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 16, 2019 03:39

Those STEEL WHEELS bizarre JJF's with that originalesque intro are horrible! They sound like a wound up toy.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: October 16, 2019 04:21

slewan
Rik
Well, this is a roadversion. Mick holds his ears and thanks Ronnie when it’s over: thank goodness

[youtu.be]

does Mick really say 'forgive me'??

He says “thank goodness” I was at that show and remember hearing that solo - and hearing him say that. I thought it was fantastic, and Ronnie has really taken it to different levels since that tour.

I think Mick was mostly concerned that he came in at the wrong time and the band had to find it’s way out.

Those MSG shows were special. Two of my favorite all-time. Their real return to arenas, these shows had an edge. Sometimes they tipped over it because they were really pushing themselves with tempos and with set changes, but they worked their way back and it was amazing to watch and hear them so live.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 16, 2019 13:15

I loved the road versions of the songs . It was fun and exciting never knowing where the interpretation on any given performance could and would go . That was thrilling for me to not be predictable , "not that there is anything wrong with that" (Good ole Jerry Seinfeld -Mr. "it is what it is")

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1776
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home