Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Main Offender Reissue
Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: October 10, 2019 17:52

Just seen the info on facebook...

29 November 2019 - Main Offender Reissue (?)

[thesoundofvinyl.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-28 16:57 by bv.

Re: 29 November 2019 - Main Offender Reissue (?)
Date: October 10, 2019 18:05

No Deluxe boxset this time???

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 10, 2019 18:16

That's too bad. I would have liked to see some extra stuff added. Maybe there will be a live CD/LP box coming?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 10, 2019 19:20

frankotero
That's too bad. I would have liked to see some extra stuff added.

Well if it's as unimpressive as the TIC reissue it's better to leave the job to someone new... in 10 or 15 years.

Date: October 10, 2019 19:22

frankotero

Well if it's as unimpressive as the TIC reissue it's better to leave the job to someone new... in 10 or 15 years. The stones are really not that good at supervising archive reissues.
They need an outsider looking in (the rows of multitrack boxes).

One eaxy obvious option would be to add the 1992-12-18 London show which does exist as a multitrack tape. But I'm sure even that won't see the light.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-10 19:24 by dcba.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 10, 2019 23:58

dcba
frankotero

Well if it's as unimpressive as the TIC reissue it's better to leave the job to someone new... in 10 or 15 years. The stones are really not that good at supervising archive reissues.
They need an outsider looking in (the rows of multitrack boxes).

One eaxy obvious option would be to add the 1992-12-18 London show which does exist as a multitrack tape. But I'm sure even that won't see the light.

acctually two (or three?) songs from that show saw the light. They were released as bonus tracks on a Japan only maxi CD 'Eileen'. But as far as I recall those recording were far from being great.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 11, 2019 00:21

Come on give us a Super Deluxe Box set outta Main Offender! I was pleased with the TIC one, lots of fun stuff and the pic killed me, "Touring Isn't"!!!!smileys with beer

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 11, 2019 00:46

Well, noone can blame ABKCO for the lack of effort going into this reissue.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 11, 2019 07:21

jlowe
Well, noone can blame ABKCO for the lack of effort going into this reissue.

And once again, this "noone" person lurks.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 11, 2019 07:23

PeterNoone…??????????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 11, 2019 08:38

Enough of this bullshit!

What I really need are official releases of the Toronto 1977 session, Longview Farm 1981 and other solo recordings, My First Plea and Little T & A (early take as released on the Jam bootleg) - stuff like that in perfect quality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-11 08:39 by retired_dog.

Date: October 11, 2019 09:01

retired_dog
Enough of this bullshit!

What I really need are official releases of the Toronto 1977 session, Longview Farm 1981 and other solo recordings, My First Plea and Little T & A (early take as released on the Jam bootleg) - stuff like that in perfect quality.

Agreed. But this release is for the many fans who only have MO on cd. The vinyl wasn't that easy to come by in 1992, if memory serves.

Date: October 11, 2019 12:53

The vinyl is rare. But consider the fact the new record will be digital sourced. So those of us that have the original still own something special.

Date: October 11, 2019 13:03

frankotero
The vinyl is rare. But consider the fact the new record will be digital sourced. So those of us that have the original still own something special.

Do we know that? Keith recorded CH on tape.

Date: October 11, 2019 14:37

Hi Dandy. Of course I can't 100% know they wouldn't do an all analog issue, but I seriously doubt that. Are you saying CH is all analog? The reason I ask is because I heard it's much easier and cheaper to transfer using digital files. I've got a friend that visited the record plant in the Czech Republic where he learned almost nothing is analog on today's pressings. Plus most of them come from that plant. Also, I've heard USA pressings are the best. Do you have any insight on the subject?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 11, 2019 14:46

How times change. 27 years ago, this album was perceived as a comparative failure after the relative success of TALK IS CHEAP. Today, 250,000 copies sold is viewed as a pretty good effort.

I also note that Steve, Waddy, and Ivan are name-checked, but not poor Charley Drayton. Keith still bears a grudge it seems. Mr. Drayton is fortunate there are no band photos to airbrush him out of. The fate of bass players who quit a band.

I'm sorry there is no MAIN OFFENDER SESSIONS bonus disc. These things are always losing propositions for the artist, though. Finish up outtakes as the Stones did with EXILE and SOME GIRLS and fans balk that the new lyrics and vocals do not fit the original backing tracks. Leave the songs untouched as TALK IS CHEAP SESSIONS did and there are complaints about what was left off and how it was unimpressive as a bonus. Do a vanilla reissue as they have here and now we complain there isn't extra content.

The producer of these reissues is a regular here. He would have loved to have released "Breakin'" and "She Knew What She Wanted" as well as the alternate versions of TALK IS CHEAP. He didn't get clearance to go beyond a certain running time and the half a dozen tracks he was able to include. He is a fan and would have wanted to give fans everything, but artists, labels, and management all have input that outweighs a reissue producer.

Also worth mentioning that Steve Jordan suggested to Keith they should finish the outtakes. Keith considered it for a time, but decided to leave it as a historical artifact. Again, it's a no-win situation for artists the same as releasing new material. Look at how A BIGGER BANG is ripped apart online.

When your audience repeatedly leaves for beer or bathroom breaks, you don't take too many chances with your setlist. When your core audience doesn't like your new material or reissues, you re-think your approach. We're not the be and end all in these situations, but we certainly have an impact.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-11 14:57 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: October 11, 2019 15:11

The Stones are one of the biggest, most professional, most connected acts on the planet. They must have top minds working for them.
Why oh why can they not figure out this whole re-issue business?

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: October 11, 2019 16:55

This album has never been out on vinyl, has it?

Date: October 11, 2019 17:35

rbk
This album has never been out on vinyl, has it?

Yes it was, and you can´t find on this time for less than $150usd...

Reissue its a great opportunity to get in 12"

Date: October 11, 2019 21:48

Rocky Dijon

The producer of these reissues is a regular here. He would have loved to have released "Breakin'" and "She Knew What She Wanted" as well as the alternate versions of TALK IS CHEAP. He didn't get clearance to go beyond a certain running time and the half a dozen tracks he was able to include. He is a fan and would have wanted to give fans everything, but artists, labels, and management all have input that outweighs a reissue producer.

thumbs up Thx for the info. Now I understand why the TIC reissue was a disappointment. It sounds like a Hollywood movie with too many producers and execs weighting in... confused smiley

Date: October 11, 2019 21:54

frankotero
Hi Dandy. Of course I can't 100% know they wouldn't do an all analog issue, but I seriously doubt that. Are you saying CH is all analog? The reason I ask is because I heard it's much easier and cheaper to transfer using digital files. I've got a friend that visited the record plant in the Czech Republic where he learned almost nothing is analog on today's pressings. Plus most of them come from that plant. Also, I've heard USA pressings are the best. Do you have any insight on the subject?

I don't know, and you may very well be right. I remember Keith insisting on recording CH on tape from the Keith-docu, though.

Keith Main Offender Reissue
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 10, 2019 22:53

Folks,

Looks like this is in the pipeline; I'd love a decent 2cd set of this though.

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

Re: Keith Main Offender Reissue
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 10, 2019 22:55

[iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Re: Keith Main Offender Reissue
Posted by: mariano ()
Date: October 11, 2019 05:24

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: January 25, 2020 16:39

I've just found this vinyl by chance today at the local Tower records. I don't know if it's pressed from digital or from the analog tapes, but it sounds really good. Much better than the original CD anyway.
I find this new vinyl quite bass heavy so it's possible the sound was tweaked somehow... but it doesn't sound like the over-remastered mess that is the TIC reissue.
If you don't have this album on vinyl, it's a must have imho.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 25, 2020 18:43

DandelionPowderman
frankotero

I don't know, and you may very well be right. I remember Keith insisting on recording CH on tape from the Keith-docu, though.

It's one thing to record to tape ...but another thing altogether to find a young wet behind the ears mastering engineer who can then cut the vinyl without first easing his task with a transfer to digital.

I'll likely give the Main Offender re-issue a miss .

I much prefer my original pressing of TIC to the re-master and suspect the same will be true with MO.

[Ok ...Yes... I know....I'll go out and buy it anyway grinning smiley]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 27, 2020 05:32

Rocky Dijon
Keith still bears a grudge it seems. Mr. Drayton is fortunate there are no band photos to airbrush him out of. The fate of bass players who quit a band.

I've never been able to figure out what happened.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 27, 2020 05:58

>I've just found this vinyl by chance today at the local Tower records

OT, but...there are still Tower Records stores?

jb

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: January 27, 2020 13:37

Wow! Untill right now I was completely unaware of this reissue.
So no deluxe, superdeluxe and/or bonus stuff!?
I immediately ordered the vinyl a few minutes ago and it will delivered to me tomorrow.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 27, 2020 14:28

GasLightStreet
Rocky Dijon
Keith still bears a grudge it seems. Mr. Drayton is fortunate there are no band photos to airbrush him out of. The fate of bass players who quit a band.

I've never been able to figure out what happened.

Take your pick. There's no shortage of "insider" info including an almost certainly ridiculous story about he and Steve Jordan fighting over a woman. The two most likely scenarios are these:

1.) He and Keith fell out after he asked Keith about replacing Bill Wyman in the Stones and was told he wasn't the right guy for the gig.

2.) He and Keith fell out after Keith sided with Steve Jordan who wanted to concentrate on drums and keep Charley as the bass player when Charley preferred they rotate more.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1811
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home