Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: New Music
Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: October 10, 2019 00:36

in the absence of any new music from the stones, is there any appetite on this website to talk about people/bands who ARE releasing records?

i've been digging:

Sturgill Simpson -- SOUND AND FURY
Jim O'Rourke -- IN, DEMONS, IN!
Major Stars -- ROOTS OF CONFUSION, SEEDS OF JOY
Bremer/McCoy -- DRABER

also want to hear Nick Cave's GHOSTEEN but haven't yet.

i find it hard sometimes to discover new music so am looking fwd to any recs you guys and gals might have!

Re: OT: New Music
Posted by: roryg ()
Date: October 10, 2019 00:46

Nick's new release is incredible, probably the best of 2019. I'd also push you to Sincere Engineer, a great Chicago band with great licks and snarky wit led by Deanna Belos.

Date: October 10, 2019 01:35

Sweet - thx, roryg!

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: October 10, 2019 02:03

Try Iggy Pop's new record, 'Free', perhaps? As far as I can remember now, the only new album I purchased this year so far.

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: October 10, 2019 10:02

The Long Ryders - Psychedelic Country Soul

Ghosteen. Cannot be moved more by Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds on this release - beauty and great sadness.

Date: October 10, 2019 11:06

Andy McCoy's "21st Century Rocks" is highly recommended. Gutter-rock, with some spanish notes in the mix. Hilarious singing, but done with heart and soul.

Recommended tracks: "Maria Maria", "Gimme A Minute, Steal A Yesr", "Seven Seas".

Date: October 10, 2019 12:50

Nick Cave's of course, who proves that there is no excuse for not continue to write and release.

Mark Lanegan has a new one out called "Someone's Knocking" - he hasn't put out a bad album yet.

Jesse Malin's "Sunset Kids"

Cage the Elephant a short while ago.

I am a big fan of Starcrawler, whose new album is sold out at amazon.

The Foals have Volume 2 of "Everything is not lost" coming out soon.

The Swans have a new album coming out.

Just to add - Van Morrison has a new one out soon "Three Chords.." and something else. Van has put out a LOT of albums. I have every one of them. I don't think he has one bad song in there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-10 13:03 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 10, 2019 13:15

LazarusSmith
in the absence of any new music from the stones, is there any appetite on this website to talk about people/bands who ARE releasing records?

i've been digging:

Bremer/McCoy -- DRABER

i find it hard sometimes to discover new music so am looking fwd to any recs you guys and gals might have!

The Sturgill Simpson might just be my album of the year. Up there with the amazing Alejandro Escovedo's The Crossing and Sharon Van Etten's mighty Remind Me Tomorrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-05 16:09 by Silver Dagger.

Date: October 10, 2019 13:35

Silver Dagger
LazarusSmith

i've been digging:

Bremer/McCoy -- DRABER

The Sturgill Simpson might just be my albums of the year. Up there with the amazingAlejandro Escovedo's The Crossing and Sharon Van Etten's mighty Remind Me Tomorrow.

Agree. Both your post, and :Lazarus' post are keepers. That Major Stars release.

I have a question, that is a bit OT. But I don't want to start a new thread for it. I am looking for more suggestions of 70's type pop songs/albums; from Europe. German, Scandinavian, Italian, French, English. But it has to be very pop-like. Like Barry Ryan, or Johnny Hallyday; ABBA of course; Mina. That kind of material.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: October 10, 2019 14:04

It is great to celebrate current bands, not very wellkown, who are making new music that is good; Rock&roll is alive, if one is curious and interested to look for it.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 10, 2019 14:54

I've discovered Earthless, though they're not new. Some kick ass jamming on the live album, From the West.

Date: October 10, 2019 19:56

Palace Revolution 2000
Silver Dagger
LazarusSmith

i've been digging:

Bremer/McCoy -- DRABER

The Sturgill Simpson might just be my albums of the year. Up there with the amazingAlejandro Escovedo's The Crossing and Sharon Van Etten's mighty Remind Me Tomorrow.

Agree. Both your post, and :Lazarus' post are keepers. That Major Stars release.

I have a question, that is a bit OT. But I don't want to start a new thread for it. I am looking for more suggestions of 70's type pop songs/albums; from Europe. German, Scandinavian, Italian, French, English. But it has to be very pop-like. Like Barry Ryan, or Johnny Hallyday; ABBA of course; Mina. That kind of material.

A bit more jazzy, but still very pop-ish, check out Jon Eberson Group's "Jive Talkin'" on Spotify.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: October 10, 2019 21:14

This year has been incredible for new releases. My favourites so far:

Deerhunter - Why Hasn’t Everything Already Disappeared?
James Blake - Assume Form
Solange - When I Get Home
Kelsey Lu - Blood
Nilüfer Yanya - Miss Universe
Pond - Tasmania
Big Thief - UFOF
Blood Orange - Angel’s Pulse
Hot Chip - A Bathful of Ecstasy
Thom Yorke - ANIMA
Barker - Utility
Chemical Brothers - No Geography
W.H. Lung - Incident Music
Brockhampton - Ginger
JPEGMAFIA - All My Heroes Are Cornballs
Kevin Abstract - Arizona Baby
Denzel Curry - ZUU
Rhye - Spirit
Tyler, The Creator - IGOR
Weval - The Weight
Aldous Harding - Designer
Brittany Howard - Jaime
Animistic Beliefs - Mindset:Reset
Injury Reserve - Injury Reserve
Bon Iver - i,i
Tourist - Everyday
Flying Lotus - Flamagra
Kindness - Something Like a War
Four Tet - Live at Alexandra Palace (went to this gig; utterly mesmerising)
Danny Brown - uknowwhatimsayin¿
Angel Olsen - All Mirrors
Toro Y Moi - Outer Peace
Big Thief - Two Hands

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-11 23:39 by Bastion.

Date: October 10, 2019 21:24

Also

Danny Brown - uknowwhatimsayin¿
Angel Olsen - All Mirrors
Toro Y Moi - Outer Peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-10 21:55 by Bastion.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 11, 2019 05:25

Palace Revolution 2000

Cool to know, I'm seeing them on Devil's Night but didn't know anything about them and am about to investigate them on Spotify.

Date: October 11, 2019 06:42

Aquamarine
Palace Revolution 2000

Cool to know, I'm seeing them on Devil's Night but didn't know anything about them and am about to investigate them on Spotify.

They are very young. But it's there.
It's the 3rd or 4th album that I am looking forward to. The growth just from 1st release to now is huge. The guy Henri Cash (how's that for a rocker name? And I do want to know where he gets his suits) is the brain and the driving force. But the girl Arrow is up front. I think she is 7 feet tall and weighs 90 lbs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-11 06:46 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 11, 2019 07:49

Recent highlights:

Raphael Saadiq - Jimmy Lee

Brittany Howard - Jaime

Sleater-Kinney - The Center won't hold

Also quite enjoyed the new Iggy Pop (Free) and the new Pixies (Beneath the Eyrie).

Date: October 11, 2019 19:52

Also...

Big Thief - Two Hands

Date: October 11, 2019 21:43

wow - such awesome sh*t here - indeed, great new music abounds!

a couple of people mentioned brittany howard - her album is astonishingly good.

don't know if any of you know this podcast called song exploder where musicians come on and talk about how a track was built ... she was on a recent episode talking about her single 'stay high' - very cool

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: October 11, 2019 22:04

Give the new Triggerhippy album a spin. You won't regret it.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 12, 2019 17:25

LazarusSmith

in the absence of any new music from the stones

... some old music from the Stones:

[www.Qobuz.com]

[www.Qobuz.com]

[www.Qobuz.com]

Date: October 13, 2019 15:43

LazarusSmith
wow - such awesome sh*t here - indeed, great new music abounds!

a couple of people mentioned brittany howard - her album is astonishingly good.

don't know if any of you know this podcast called song exploder where musicians come on and talk about how a track was built ... she was on a recent episode talking about her single 'stay high' - very cool

Agreed. I am so glad to see others here who embrace newer acts, and releases. I just picked up a bunch of inspiration from you,and Bastion.

And since I wouldn't know where else to post this, I always have to plug my favorite group Spiritualized. no new releases in about a year, but...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-13 15:50 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: October 13, 2019 18:27

Thank you PR 2000 - will certainly check out Spiritualized.

For everyone else, Big Thief would be my #1 recommendation. They've just released their fourth album Two Hands (six months on from their previous album UFOF.)

This band have such great chemistry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-13 18:28 by Bastion.

Date: November 5, 2019 04:17

roryg
Nick's new release is incredible, probably the best of 2019. I'd also push you to Sincere Engineer, a great Chicago band with great licks and snarky wit led by Deanna Belos.

God DAMN Ghosteen is a good un. Such heartbreak turned in to such beauty. Is there an analog for this sort of record in the annals of pop before (a father writing an entire album mourning a child who's died)?

I don't know much Bad Seeds stuff (I do like Grinderman a lot, tho) but this record has turned me into a fan!

Date: November 5, 2019 13:49

LazarusSmith
roryg

God DAMN Ghosteen is a good un. Such heartbreak turned in to such beauty. Is there an analog for this sort of record in the annals of pop before (a father writing an entire album mourning a child who's died)?

I don't know much Bad Seeds stuff (I do like Grinderman a lot, tho) but this record has turned me into a fan!

Re Nick Cave - he is one of the very few artists who IMO are getting better as time goes on. Most artists have that overdrive era of Golden inspiration, and then coast on that. As much as I like early Nick Cave, once he did 'Abattoir Blues:, then Grinderman, and then every album since, he has really ramped it up.

Date: November 6, 2019 22:14

Amazing - his intensity just bleeds through the speakers.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: November 6, 2019 22:26

Palace Revolution 2000
Re Nick Cave - he is one of the very few artists who IMO are getting better as time goes on. Most artists have that overdrive era of Golden inspiration, and then coast on that. As much as I like early Nick Cave, once he did 'Abattoir Blues:, then Grinderman, and then every album since, he has really ramped it up.
Respect to co-writer Warren Ellis, as well.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: November 7, 2019 00:14

Favorites from 2019 lately -

Elbow - Giants of All Sizes
Andrew Bird - My Finest Work Yet
Michael Kiwanuka - Kiwanuka

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: November 7, 2019 04:55

roryg

I LOVE Nick Cave, but the new record is just as boring as batsh1t to me. Nice sounds, but incredibly and instantly forgettable.I wanted to love it, but no...

Rod

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1847
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home