Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT--Joe Elliott on getting Mott the Hoople into RRHoF
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 9, 2019 18:39

I've never been a Def Leppard fan, but Joe Elliott is my new hero.

[www.yahoo.com]

Def Leppard’s Joe Elliott wants Mott the Hoople in the Rock Hall: ‘I'm definitely on a mission’

Lyndsey Parker
Editor-in-Chief, Music
Yahoo MusicOctober 8, 2019

When Joe Elliott did his interview rounds timed with his band Def Leppard’s induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, he didn’t want to talk about himself. Instead, he used the platform to evangelize for his favorite band, British glam-rock heroes Mott the Hoople. He even had Mott’s singer, Ian Hunter, join Def Leppard for the 2019 Hall of Fame ceremony’s finale performance of Mott’s most famous song, the David Bowie-penned anthem “All the Young the Dudes.”

“This is our all-star jam… it's full circle,” Elliott tells Yahoo Entertainment as he recalls his thoughts during the special Hall performance, which also included Brian May, Steven Van Zandt, the Zombies, and Susanna Hoffs. “It's the song that's really got me wanting to do all this, and now we're actually closing out our induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame — with that song. It's like licking the envelope, shut.”

You could say Elliott is on a rock ‘n’ roll mission when it comes to Hoople and Hunter. “It became a mission. Yeah, I'm definitely on a mission,” he asserts. “I don't have to sit here and talk about me. Def Leppard takes care of itself. I'm happy to talk about it, but I'm not me, me, me, me, me. I'd rather talk about other bands.”

Elliott, in fact, is talking about his other band, the supergroup Down ‘n’ Outz — which initially formed in 2009 specifically to open for a Mott the Hoople reunion concert at London’s Hammersmith Apollo. The one-off event was so well-received that it turned into a full-fledged side-project, with the Down ‘n’ Outz – whose current lineup features Paul Guerin, Guy Griffin, and Keith Weir of the London Quireboys, Share Ross of Vixen, and esteemed veteran drummer Phil Martini — now releasing their third album (and first album of almost all original songs), This Is How We Roll.

“The passion for Mott the Hoople came when I was 10,” explains Elliott. “I heard Ian sing a song called ‘The Original Mixed Up Kid’ on one of these compilation records, and I just totally fell in love with the story, the lyric, the voice. And then I realized he sounded a lot like Bob Dylan. But for some reason I hate Bob Dylan, but I love Ian Hunter's version of Bob Dylan. Ian was just Dylanesque — but better, I thought. And he just had this kind of loner vibe. There was something about him.

“It was a great cacophony that [Mott] made; individually they weren't necessarily the best musicians in the world, but they made a hell of a sound. But the important thing was the songs were brilliant. They made great songs, and they made commentary five years before its time. A lot of people will hear a song like ‘Violence’ off the 1973 album and realize that he was actually talking about what would happen in London three years later when the punk movement started to kick off. … Rumor has it that when a young Freddie Mercury was watching Mott on tour, they were playing this song ‘Marionette,’ and because it's deemed a mini-opera, it's quite possible that — and even the guys in Queen said, ‘Yeah, I can see that’ — it was the inspiration behind ‘Bohemian Rhapsody.’ So there's a lot of leakage that went into the other stuff. But I can't really explain why I like Mott the Hoople, I just do. … For me, it was the melodies and the chills.”

Elliott made it his mission even as a young boy to educate people about Mott the Hoople, but his classmates in native Sheffield, England, were unimpressed — until “All the Young Dudes” came out.

“The thing was, I'd been telling all these kids at school about Mott when they were still signed to Island Records, like, ‘You’re missing out on this thing!’” he recalls. “And then, unbeknownst to us as it'd been going on under the radar, [Mott the Hoople] had moved over to [Tony] DeVries [David Bowie’s manager]. Bowie had given him their song, they recorded ‘All the Young Dudes,’ and all of a sudden, the whole world changed. Everybody's world changed. You can have this conversation with Morrissey, Boy George, Duran Duran, me, half the punk bands on the planet. When they heard ‘All The Young Dudes,’ it was a wakeup call: ‘There is something for us out there.’ … As a 12-year-old, when I first heard ‘All the Young Dudes,’ that and T. Rex’s Electric Warrior a year before set me on my path.” (Incidentally, if Elliott could root for any other artist besides Mott to get into the Rock Hall, it’d be Marc Bolan and T. Rex.)

Elliott is no stranger to performing cover songs — along with the Down ‘n’ Outz, he has also played in the Bowie cover band the Cybernauts with his Def Leppard bandmate Phil Collen and actual former Spiders From Mars members Trevor Bolder and Mick "Woody" Woodmansey. In fact, Def Leppard got their start in Sheffield clubs doing covers of their favorite artists, ranging from Bowie’s “Suffragette City” to even the Sex Pistols’ “Pretty Vacant,” out of sheer necessity.

“We had no option but to play some covers, because you couldn't get into venues unless you did. Certain places that we played you were supposed to be a cover band, because the clientele needed to hear stuff they knew,” Elliott says, adding with a laugh: “We used to get around that by saying, ‘Here's a song by…’ And then do one of ours! You know, we'd say it was by Des O'Connor or Foreigner or whatever. We would say, ‘This is a song by a Tony Orlando and Dawn,’ and we'd blast into [Def Leppard’s] ‘Hello, America.’ And they the guy would pay us and go, ‘I wasn't so familiar with a lot of them songs, but it seems to have gone quite well, so we'll have you back!’”

Moot the Hoople embarked on a much-hyped concert tour earlier this year, but now that the remaining dates have been sadly canceled due to Hunter’s severe tinnitus, it seems more important than ever that the bands get its Rock & Roll Hall of Fame due. Elliott doesn’t honestly know why this didn’t happen 30 years ago, when Hunter, known for his Drew Carey-popularized solo song “Cleveland Rocks,” actually played a benefit in 1989 to help build the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame museum. Elliott flew in to Cleveland to join Hunter for the gig, which also included Bowie guitarist Mick Ronson and the Sex Pistols’ Steve Jones. “This was a fundraiser for the museum, so you'd think he'd be in it, you know what I mean?” Elliott shrugs. “So it's like, get him in now!”

Elliott has long complained that Hall voters tend to be more U.S.-centric, but five of this year’s seven inductees were British, which is an encouraging sign for future ballots. And the fact that all of the inducted members of Def Leppard can now vote for the Class of 2020 further improves Mott’s odds. “If there's a problem with the Hall of Fame, it's that it doesn't have a London branch. I think [Mott the Hoople’s] very Britishness is what's the block, because there are not enough Americans that realize how important that was in 1972 in the U.K.,” he says. “Just because they didn't sell gazillion records in America, they've still got value.”

In another full-circle development, Def Leppard and Mott the Hoople now share the same management, so Elliott and Hunter have had many opportunities to spend time together lately. So, have they had any conversations during which Hunter has expressed his gratitude or amazement for all the campaigning that Elliott and Def Leppard have done for him?

“He looked me in the eye and he went — well, through his shades – ‘I know what you're trying to do,’” Elliott chuckles as he remembers one recent encounter. “And I'm like, ‘What?’ And he says, ‘You're trying to make me famous.’”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-11 20:40 by loog droog.

Re: OT--Joe Elliot on getting Mott the Hoople into RRHoF
Date: October 9, 2019 20:32

loog droog
I've never been a Def Leppard fan, but Joe Elliot is my new hero.

[www.yahoo.com]

he has a side band that covers a lot of mott the hoople

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 9, 2019 20:41

Joe Elliot seems like a good guy.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 9, 2019 22:53

Joe seems like a good guy. Leppard seem to pay tribute to the bands they grew up listening to in the 70s. They covered Action by Sweet and No Matter What by Badfinger.
In 87-88 Leppard were absolutely huge. Hysteria had so many hit singles the album was on the charts for many months. Stage set was in the round so every seat in the house was pretty good. When they came to Vancouver, Bon Jovi, who was in town recording New Jersey, came on stage for the encore CCR Travelling Band.

Date: October 9, 2019 23:35

Yes that's a tricky one because Joe Elliott and the band like the guitarist with the short hair; they seem like very good guys, with their heads screwed on right. That's why it is kind of a mystery why their band is so awesomely bad.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 9, 2019 23:47

Joe did fine singing with Ronnie on SLIDE ON THIS. While I was never a fan, Def Leppard did promote the tongue-and-lips logo on T-shirts during the years when the Stones brand was at its lowest ebb. Their hearts are in the right places and they were phenomenally successful. Seeing as the goal is to make it, I'd say they did just fine in their era. The fact that many of us were still listening to Stones and Faces and Kinks didn't change that.

Date: October 10, 2019 01:35

Palace Revolution 2000
Yes that's a tricky one because Joe Elliott and the band like the guitarist with the short hair; they seem like very good guys, with their heads screwed on right. That's why it is kind of a mystery why their band is so awesomely bad.
Hey, they play what they play. That has no bearing on their character.

Date: October 10, 2019 11:45

Palace Revolution 2000

The early stuff, before Mutt Lange made them ultra commercial, wasn't too bad, imo.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 10, 2019 12:11

video: [www.youtube.com]
Take A Long Line--Joe, Ronno and Hunter
I always love this tune.

Date: October 10, 2019 12:40

keefriff99
Palace Revolution 2000
Hey, they play what they play. That has no bearing on their character.

Isn't that what I just said ? winking smiley

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 10, 2019 13:24

Too bad the upcoming Mott '74 shows were cancelled due to Ian's tinnitus.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: October 10, 2019 13:28

Not a Leppard fan but Joe Elliott does a great 1 hour radio show on Planet Rock on Saturdays between 6-7pm (UK time).

Date: October 11, 2019 02:01

i think its really cool most of the def leppard guys have side projects

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 11, 2019 04:41

DGA35
Joe seems like a good guy. Leppard seem to pay tribute to the bands they grew up listening to in the 70s. They covered Action by Sweet and No Matter What by Badfinger.
In 87-88 Leppard were absolutely huge. Hysteria had so many hit singles the album was on the charts for many months. Stage set was in the round so every seat in the house was pretty good. When they came to Vancouver, Bon Jovi, who was in town recording New Jersey, came on stage for the encore CCR Travelling Band.

My young cousin bought a ticket for me to see this tour in '87 - wasn't impressed at all, but no doubt they were a huge/popular band at the time.

That said, I sort of liked some of the songs on their first two albums with guitarist Pete Willis (before he was booted),
and when they were still semi-unknown c.'80, but I was still a numbskull teenager at the time so that might explain it.winking smiley

*Haven't heard this tune in decades, but it brings back lots of memories and I still sort of like it - Def Leppard - Let it Go - especially the transition it makes around the 2:00 mark.

Date: October 11, 2019 17:09

I like their early, rawer NWOBHM material, but I also enjoy the ultra-polished Mutt Lange era from Pyromania and Hysteria...yeah, it's cheesy bubblegum hard rock, but I can't deny those expertly-crafted hooks.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: October 11, 2019 19:47

keefriffhard4life
loog droog

[www.yahoo.com]

They released a new album today.

Date: October 11, 2019 20:09

BowieStone
keefriffhard4life
loog droog

[www.yahoo.com]

They released a new album today.

yup i got it. its mott the hoople sounding on purpose. phil and vivian also have side projects

Re: OT--Joe Elliott on getting Mott the Hoople into RRHoF
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 11, 2019 20:36

My point on starting this thread was focused on Joe Elliott going to bat for Mott The Hoople and making the case for their Hall of Fame induction.

Ian Hunter's appearance at last year's ceremony where he sang "All The Young Dudes" was a complete surprise to me--I had no idea until reading the article that Joe was behind all that.

I'm hoping other HoF members (like Mick Jones of The Clash) step up and speak out for Mott and Ian. It's too late for Overend and Dale, and I don't know if Mick Ralphs is well enough to perform (or if Ian could rally for a brief mini-set) but it's long past time to get this done.

Date: October 11, 2019 20:50

def leppards tribute of sorts to queen

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 11, 2019 20:50

Hopefully someone will step up on behalf of the J.Geils Band - nominated 5 times, yet still being snubbed by the Hall of Fame.
Oh well - proof the Hall of Fame is a sham.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home