Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: what insults or good things have you heard people say about the stones.
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 9, 2019 17:17

SomeGuy
From a tv personality in The Netherlands (who btw claims to have cooperated in the Stones' Cuba show):

"When they started painting their faces I gave up on them,"

and

"Yes they're old but still give a good show, but that drummer these days, really, that's just wrong."

Yeah, I know who you mean. He also said on TV that he could have had a photo taken together with the Stones, but that he didn't care grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley>grinning smiley<. What a joke. He also said on TV something like that the drummer was a no-good old man. He had no involvement with that concert whatsoever. He is just friends with the guy who sponsored the Cuba event and was only allowed to have a quick look on the stage way before anything happened. And even that sponsor-guy's wish for a special Stones song to be performed by the band wasn't granted! So here you go.
I was in Cuba, very close to the stage and can tell you, that a lot of nonsense was told in the days and weeks after the show (great experience though cool smiley).
smileys with beer

Re: what insults or good things have you heard people say about the stones.
Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: October 9, 2019 17:24

"De Snor" (Moustache)..... just ignore him, everything he says is to hurt people just to score points on television. I am still flabbergasted that his TV Show won the "Televizierring" some years ago. Absolutely a shame for that institute. Although the nominees for this year event are also not so good..... (just my personal humble opinion).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-09 17:30 by mrfancyman.

Re: Things people say about the Stones
Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: October 9, 2019 18:11

When I told this lady in her 60s I was going to see Stones her reply, Oh liver lips!

Posted by: StonesSmeth99 ()
Date: October 9, 2019 22:32

I met someone who said 'I wouldn't open the curtains if they were playing on my front lawn'.

I wanted to say, but didn't, that their windows would be shattered by the crossfire hurricane whirling away outside!

General ignorance abounds and they are judged on their (apparent) wrinkles by far too many people. Listen to the music and appreciate what great men they are!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 10, 2019 04:22

There's the usual from people that only have BACK IN BLACK or ABBEY ROAD/SGT PEPPERS etc and they may have LET IT BLEED, STICKY FINGERS, EOMS, SOME GIRLS but definitely have TATTOO YOU... and know nothing about them after.

My grandparents, who I'm going to guess never heard the Stones but saw them on TV or in the newspaper, said the usual 'big lips' and 'ugly long hair'. It made me laugh. Every now and then I'd pull one over on them and play something "other" by the Stones, would never tell them, something bluesy, and they'd say "Heyyyyy, that's pretty nice. I like that."

My dad, who is why I love the Stones, only liked LET IT BLEED and GYYYO and HOT ROCKS 1 and 2. Well, that's what he had.

Much later, he'd say to me when I'd bring home a new album or whatever, "They're just imitating themselves".

Of course, he said that often without... having listened to anything.

I'm on the fence about them imitating themselves. There may be moments when they have... but then... how could they not? Isn't that just being who you are? Perhaps he meant they haven't done anything good or new... I left it alone. Because... he never listened to anything. So, ha ha, he's just an old git.

Yet somehow, and this really used to blow my mind - he loves the Waters-less Pink Floyd.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 10, 2019 04:46

My mum, 85yo, has never understood my fascination/fandom of The Stones.

"They just make noise, And Mick Jagger cannot sing to save his life."

She was on a cruise recently and on one of the "special cinema nights" they played
Ole Ole Ole. She watched it all the way thru with her travelling companion, and sent me a text (forgetting time zones - my phone beeped at 2.41am and woke me up!) saying "HOW GREAT was that! Now I get it!"

I told her yesterday The Stones may be touring downunder in March/April 2020. She said IF they come to Perth and I can get her a Lucky Dip (having explained the principal years ago) she'd be happy to pay $100 to see them live, but she ain't paying $500!

Rod

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 10, 2019 06:12

…. Awwww come on Rod stop bein a
stingy geezer and shout ya mum a pit ticket …..

ROCKMAN

smiling smileyRe: Things people say about the Stones
Date: October 10, 2019 06:43

Rockman
…. Awwww come on Rod stop bein a
stingy geezer and shout ya mum a pit ticket …..

IF I do that, and the Stones aren't hitting Perth, we'll be travelling East. And YOU'LL have to put me, my wife and my mum up!!!!!! Mum in a separate room with ensuite please! Either this way, mate, or lucky dip for her....and a hotel for all of us!smiling smiley

Rod

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: October 10, 2019 07:11

The best thing I read was about Keith, not the Stones and it went as follows.

Keith is at his very best, when he isn't.

Date: October 10, 2019 07:35

And YOU'LL have to put me, my wife and my mum up!!!!!!

No problem Rod … The Scum-Shack can accommodate twenty five standing ….

ROCKMAN

Date: October 10, 2019 08:18

Rockman
And YOU'LL have to put me, my wife and my mum up!!!!!!

No problem Rod … The Scum-Shack can accommodate twenty five standing ….

Hey, when have you been in my backyard mate? I don't remember you applying for a visa to come here!

Rod

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 10, 2019 09:51

bv
Please do not start threads asking about insults. They will be deleted, or I will change the subject. This is a fan site, not facebook, where insults seems to be the standard.

BV, you're becoming a bit over-sensitive these days - if you don't mind my saying so ?

This is not a thread designed to invite people to heap insult after insult upon the Rolling Stones. This is rather a more a thread designed for Stones fans to share their stories about the ridiculous things they have heard other people say about the Rolling Stones over the years.

Read some of the posts for heavens sake. You have people talking about things they've heard in record shops, things their boyfriends or girlfriends (who obviously never "got" the Stones) have said, things their parents or grandparents or children have said. These anecdotes are mostly amusing, funny, and should be taken in context, the context being that they sound completely ridiculous when one considers the unquestionable greatness of this band, their songwriting skills, their live performances, their longevity, their enduring appeal … and so on !

A little bit less sensitivity makes for a better moderator. Chill out, everything's fine. No-one's insulting anyone, it's just a bunch of fans reciting stories …

Just my two cents worth, but then what do I know ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-10 10:10 by paulywaul.

Date: October 10, 2019 10:20

Soon after I heard Not Fade Away on the radio (Februari 1964) I was given a music monthly by a classmate. He showed me the first ever photos I saw of the Rolling Stones. It was a bit of a shock, to tell the truth. I was allowed to take the magazine home and showed the photos to my mom, who was preparing the evening meal in the kitchen. I said to her "mom, can you believe that such ugly guys (sorry guys) can make such great music?"
And then she told her 15 years young son "you are born the way you are. There is nothing you can do about that, but when you make good music you should be appreciated for that, wether you look ugly or not".
I still remember that as if it was yesterday!
smileys with beer

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: October 10, 2019 10:40

georgie48
Soon after I heard Not Fade Away on the radio (Februari 1964) I was given a music monthly by a classmate. He showed me the first ever photos I saw of the Rolling Stones. It was a bit of a shock, to tell the truth. I was allowed to take the magazine home and showed the photos to my mom, who was preparing the evening meal in the kitchen. I said to her "mom, can you believe that such ugly guys (sorry guys) can make such great music?"
And then she told her 15 years young son "you are born the way you are. There is nothing you can do about that, but when you make good music you should be appreciated for that, wether you look ugly or not".
I still remember that as if it was yesterday!
smileys with beer

Great answer! Great mom!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 10, 2019 10:50

The classic thing (I don't know how many people said this to me) to say for a lot of people is: "The Beatles were better/more original/better songwriters/first/more innovative/...".
And then I have to explain it's like comparing pancakes with whiskey. You can like both or one or the other, but they are different things:
One was a brilliant pop-band that started with playing rock n roll covers.
And the other is a groovy, rolling rock-band that started with playing rhythm&blues covers.
There are a number of songs both bands have played (because, of course, there is some overlap) and just comparing how they played it says it all.

Date: October 10, 2019 14:45

matxil
There are a number of songs both bands have played (because, of course, there is some overlap) and just comparing how they played, it says it all.

Exactly!

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: October 10, 2019 14:48

paulywaul
bv
Please do not start threads asking about insults. They will be deleted, or I will change the subject. This is a fan site, not facebook, where insults seems to be the standard.

BV, you're becoming a bit over-sensitive these days - if you don't mind my saying so ?

This is not a thread designed to invite people to heap insult after insult upon the Rolling Stones. This is rather a more a thread designed for Stones fans to share their stories about the ridiculous things they have heard other people say about the Rolling Stones over the years.

Read some of the posts for heavens sake. You have people talking about things they've heard in record shops, things their boyfriends or girlfriends (who obviously never "got" the Stones) have said, things their parents or grandparents or children have said. These anecdotes are mostly amusing, funny, and should be taken in context, the context being that they sound completely ridiculous when one considers the unquestionable greatness of this band, their songwriting skills, their live performances, their longevity, their enduring appeal … and so on !

A little bit less sensitivity makes for a better moderator. Chill out, everything's fine. No-one's insulting anyone, it's just a bunch of fans reciting stories …

Hi paulywaul, I am not sure if you are aware of the original thread title which ran:

what insults or good things have you heard people say about the stones

bv wrote his post after he had edited the thread title. I wouldn't call that over-sensitive.

Just my input.

d.f

EDIT: orthography

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-10 15:01 by dead.flowers.

Date: October 10, 2019 15:06

My dad's rock'n roll criteria all revolves around Bryan Ferry. He heard a Bryan Ferry song a million years ago, that he liked, so now it is all either "Oh they sound a little like that Bryan Ferry fellow; I like that."
Or "Bryan Ferry could have done that better".
The Stones fall into the "Bryan would've done it better" category.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 10, 2019 15:25

dead.flowers
paulywaul
bv

Hi paulywaul, I am not sure if you are aware of the original thread title which ran:

what insults or good things have you heard people say about the stones

bv wrote his post after he had edited the thread title. I wouldn't call that over-sensitive.

Just my input.

d.f

EDIT: orthography

Ah well, thank you for pointing that out … because I was not aware of that. Cheers. No offence to BV intended (obviously)

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: October 10, 2019 16:17

My relative (man) said "Ron wood must be very old" after i told him youngest Rolling Stones is older than he is.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: October 10, 2019 16:41

Ah well, thank you for pointing that out … because I was not aware of that. Cheers. No offence to BV intended (obviously)

Of course.

Myself I was firstly puzzled about what was bv referring to, when I saw his post. But when I noted that he had changed the thread title, it was clear to me.

Well, anything like "insults against the Stones" would sound rather strange here on this board.

d.f

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-10 16:43 by dead.flowers.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 10, 2019 21:04

The reason i used insults is that i feel a lot of people have done in the past and still do, and dont know them.

both my parents didnt like them yet lived through the early days but were influenced by different bands, but both my parents only really knew the early hits, not the near 400 other songs they done.

both my children dont like them but are too young to have dissected them the way i have.

i had friends the same age when i got into the stones but they got into stuff like hiphop and were still digging the charts when i was reaching out to other generations of music.

the point someone made about their wrinkles and age is a recurring problem most of us have, its like its the only thing people see, and ignore everything else, like the music.

my father told me a story goes back to around 1964, concert somewhere in england and he said he had a mate that claimed to have tried to spit on jagger at the front of the stage and told him to go get a wash, dont know if this story is true, but if it is, just shows how ignorant and stupid people can be.

its the music that made the stones, everything else is a side show. it so disappoints me when failing to get people into the stones, if only they would have a bit more patience.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 10, 2019 22:33

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 11, 2019 02:01

buttons67
The reason i used insults is that i feel a lot of people have done in the past and still do, and dont know them.

both my parents didnt like them yet lived through the early days but were influenced by different bands, but both my parents only really knew the early hits, not the near 400 other songs they done.

both my children dont like them but are too young to have dissected them the way i have.

i had friends the same age when i got into the stones but they got into stuff like hiphop and were still digging the charts when i was reaching out to other generations of music.

the point someone made about their wrinkles and age is a recurring problem most of us have, its like its the only thing people see, and ignore everything else, like the music.

my father told me a story goes back to around 1964, concert somewhere in england and he said he had a mate that claimed to have tried to spit on jagger at the front of the stage and told him to go get a wash, dont know if this story is true, but if it is, just shows how ignorant and stupid people can be.

its the music that made the stones, everything else is a side show. it so disappoints me when failing to get people into the stones, if only they would have a bit more patience.

There is noting with the word INSULT in this content............I was a bit confused my self with BV's comment.....well lastly I'm not sure BV is reading the complete messages at all.............never mind...................

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 11, 2019 02:09

A mate of mine a few years ago after we'd both listened to Gimme Shelter blasting at a loud enough volume to resurrect the dead :

"You know, that song's so good you wouldnt mind getting your f***in' head kicked in to it...'

Date: October 11, 2019 03:18

Interview with Bill Flanagan, www.telegraph.co.uk. April 13, 2009.

Date: October 11, 2019 03:30

mmmmmmm ...Well... what can a poor boy do …..'cept ta say Mr Zimmerman's word is true ……

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 11, 2019 04:05

shortfatfanny

Interview with Bill Flanagan, www.telegraph.co.uk. April 13, 2009.

But to put this in the proper context, you need to read what he said just prior to the above.
*The 2009 article this quote is from consists of three previously released interview extracts - the below is just after Steel Wheels tour: (Bob)

BF: What do you think of the Stones?

BD: What do I think of them? They’re pretty much finished, aren’t they?

BF: They had a gigantic tour last year. You call that finished?

BD: Oh yeah, you mean Steel Wheels. I’m not saying they don’t keep going, but they need Bill. Without him they’re a funk band.
They’ll be the real Rolling Stones when they get Bill back.

BF: Bob, you’re stuck in the 80’s.

BD: I know. I’m trying to break free.

BF: Do you really think the Stones are finished?

BD: Of course not, They’re far from finished. The Rolling Stones are truly the greatest rock and roll band in the world and always will be. The last too.
Everything that came after them, metal, rap, punk, new wave, pop-rock, you name it …. you can trace it all back to the Rolling Stones.
They were the first and the last and no one’s ever done it better.

Seems he insulted them first and then praised them (maybe attempting to amend his insult?), but it's funny how people only use the praiseworthy quote taken totally out of context:
Now it's been 30 years since he said that, and wondering what his thoughts about the Stones are today. Bill never came back, so are they still just a funk band to him?

Date: October 11, 2019 05:52

Bob's a nasty little bugger …………..

……………………..………………………. Keith Richards 1992

ROCKMAN

Date: October 11, 2019 10:14

Thanks Hairball...just stumbled across the pic...
Nevertheless Bob entered the stage in the '90s performing with them..

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1926
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home