Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Things people say about the Stones
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 9, 2019 00:05

ever since i became a stone fan in 1987 i have obviously told a lot of people, from friends and family to strangers, and ive had some crazy feedback

here are some i can remember.

from my ex wife, -its all shouting and screaming.

from an ex work colleague,- they were good at the start but then they all started banging their instruments at the same time

from a few people,- arnt they all dead old.

from a retail worker as i was buying rolled gold, in 1988. after laughing and turning to her colleague,- hes buying the rolling stones, still laughing.

from a older friend, -they were rubbish after 1970

from my son, he was about 7- they are different from everyone else.

from my late mother-o no they were terrible.

from my still alive father-they looked as if they needed a good wash.

anyone else heard some good quotes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-09 13:05 by bv.

Re: what insults or good things have you heard people say about the stones.
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 9, 2019 00:31

Too many to mention ...
But I'll give you one:
In 1968 when Jumping Jack Flash was released, by a radio DJ: "that's a copy of Satisfaction. The Stones are finished".
I almost died from laughing >grinning smiley<

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 9, 2019 00:47

My late mother-in-law, who went to see them in Cardiff, Wales in 1990, aged 67. She said sometime later while talking about celebrities, "I like young people, like the Rolling Stones" - well, she was 20 years older than Mick...........so........

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 9, 2019 00:51

Also, heard in a record shop, a girl was holding a copy of Black and Blue.........her boyfriend said, "Oh, don't bother, they sound like a really crap garage band"...................

I didn't bother saying anything..........confused smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-09 00:58 by EddieByword.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: October 9, 2019 00:52

From a tv personality in The Netherlands (who btw claims to have cooperated in the Stones' Cuba show):

"When they started painting their faces I gave up on them,"

and

"Yes they're old but still give a good show, but that drummer these days, really, that's just wrong."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 9, 2019 01:10

Back in '81 my sister was raving about Mick just as we were about to go see the Stones, and my mom nonchalantly said Mick Jagger has always been ugly.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 9, 2019 01:24

SomeGuy
From a tv personality in The Netherlands (who btw claims to have cooperated in the Stones' Cuba show):

and

"Yes they're old but still give a good show, but that drummer these days, really, that's just wrong."

who was that?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 9, 2019 01:27

The ROLLING STONES are more
than just a group -- they are a way of life ………………..

……………………..…………………………….. Andrew Loog Oldham

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 9, 2019 01:34

Tiny todger...

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 9, 2019 01:42

“Is he going to see them lads with the big lips again?”
Even though I’m 40, my dad said this about me and the stones last summer...

He sees them as “them lads with the big lips”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-09 01:51 by Paddy.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: October 9, 2019 01:53

Koen
SomeGuy

and

who was that?

He probably means Johan Derksen, but... that is not a real good translation of what he realy said.

First of all, he didn't have anything to do with the Cuba concert himself, but he knows the two guys who did, that are the same guys who have put money in the blues festival Derkens organizes with them every year somewhere in the Netherlands.

And he liked the Stones when they played rythm & blues in the sixties, but he didnt't realy like what they did after (not his kind of music), but he also liked the BLue and Lonesome record. He thought that was an excellent idea.

He was at the Cuba concert and was amazed how fit Jagger was, thought the two guitarists were ok, but he was shocked at how old Charlie looked and he said something like that you can't do it to him to still tour with him.

But ofcourse he don't know the Stones realy well, Charlie looked always like an old guy, there's nothing wrong with him.winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-09 02:01 by GJV.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 9, 2019 02:40

GJV
Koen
SomeGuy

and

who was that?

He probably means Johan Derksen, but... that is not a real good translation of what he realy said.

First of all, he didn't have anything to do with the Cuba concert himself, but he knows the two guys who did, that are the same guys who have put money in the blues festival Derkens organizes with them every year somewhere in the Netherlands.

And he liked the Stones when they played rythm & blues in the sixties, but he didnt't realy like what they did after (not his kind of music), but he also liked the BLue and Lonesome record. He thought that was an excellent idea.

He was at the Cuba concert and was amazed how fit Jagger was, thought the two guitarists were ok, but he was shocked at how old Charlie looked and he said something like that you can't do it to him to still tour with him.

But ofcourse he don't know the Stones realy well, Charlie looked always like an old guy, there's nothing wrong with him.winking smiley

This makes a bit more sense to me...........

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: October 9, 2019 02:41

"Bill Wyman looks really old." - A friend's analysis of a 1997 show.

Date: October 9, 2019 02:47

GJV
Koen
SomeGuy

and

who was that?

Right. By painting their faces he most likely meant the Jumpin' Jack Flash video. I did find his comment on Charlie a bit offensive really ("die drummer, dat kan echt niet meer").

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 9, 2019 03:26

Ah, Johan Derksen grinning smiley

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: October 9, 2019 04:27

• In 1984 I played a Stones Live recording, which I got off of WNEW-FM, on cassette, in my car, to a friend, and his comment was, "It's so bad that it's good".

• Another friend commented recently, "The Stones have a tinny sound; not that that is bad, it's just tinny".

• After playing the video "Rolling Stones Bridges to Babylon 1998", which was first released free on TV on PBS, I believe, to a friend and his son, they commented that, "It's the best live performance by any band that they had ever seen".

OK, so there's a sampling of ones that come to mind. I just don't have time to keep on recalling and typing right now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-09 04:40 by Chacho.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 9, 2019 04:47

My older brother who was a diehard fan of Stones fan up until '83 (and took me to my first Stones shows), laughed out loud when I played him Steel Wheels during a night of brotherly love drinking beers.
He did attend a single show with me at the Coliseum, but then declined going for the second show (I blamed it on Guns and Roses and Living Colour opening).
I also played him Voodoo Lounge which was the same scenario as above, but he opted out of attending even a single show (so it wasn't Guns'N'Roses and Living Colour after all).
Didn't dare have the nerve to play Bridges for him, but he did attend a single show with me at Dodger stadium and said he liked it (but I had my doubts, and I think he was just being polite).
He overheard me listening to the then new Don't Stop on my computer, and angrily yelled to turn that shit off. He declined seeing any shows during the Licks tour, even though I offered him a seat in the 4th row.
I guess since he saw so many great Stones shows throughout the '70's, not to mention all the great records they released during that time, he and the Stones sort of grew apart in the '80's, and they never reconciled.

Date: October 9, 2019 05:07

I have almost the same experience with my older brother. He got me to listen to Tattoo You and finally I liked it and became a Stones fan. He. however, lost interest around '85, '86, never having bought Undercover or Dirty Work (he could see that some of those songs were good though). Indeed, as of Steel Wheels he never liked them anymore. As of today, I don't think he owns even one Stones record anymore.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 9, 2019 05:08

I think Ian Stewart had the best ones,
"You think you're good musicians, but you're really a bunch of screaming nancy boys."
"Rolling Stones? Name sounded like a family of Irish acrobats."

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 9, 2019 06:06

best Thing I’ve heard about the stones “They pissed all over the Beatles” from a musically snobbish friend of mine.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 9, 2019 06:32

My dad, when seeing them on Ed Sullivan in the 60s, referred to them as the 'Strolling Bones'.

Date: October 9, 2019 08:52

"Too predictable, too simple, a messy sound, bad drumming, horrible singing, old-fashioned guitars".

These were some of the comments from my friends in the 80s.

Luckily, they know better know smiling smiley

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 9, 2019 12:50

No-one has ever dared to slag our boys off in my prescence cos they knew they would get a smack in their dirty mouths if they did so.
I do believe everyone who don't like the Stones should be carried off to the nearest morgue cause then they sure don't have any pulse or libido.

At the same time we should be grateful that not all the people like 'em cause it would be bloody hard to get tickets.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 9, 2019 12:58

Charlie’s good tonight, in’nt he?

Re: Things people say about the Stones
Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 9, 2019 13:06

Please do not start threads asking about insults. They will be deleted, or I will change the subject. This is a fan site, not facbook, where insults seems to be the standard.

Bjornulf

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 9, 2019 14:43

buttons67

from a retail worker as i was buying rolled gold, in 1988. after laughing and turning to her colleague,- hes buying the rolling stones, still laughing.

You should have pulled his leg for being so rude.
Like :
You : "yes I bought this RS album. Wanna know why? Cos this copy with this serial number is bloody rare. The same thing happened with another Stones comp : "Hot Rocks". Some copies are so rare they're worth a 1000 quid."
And watch the lad go green...

Date: October 9, 2019 15:03

grinning smiley

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: October 9, 2019 15:13

BV, put this treat out, it's not worth to read it after i have read a few comments.Wordless

BV, I didn't read your comment on this treat when I did my comment, sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-09 15:30 by tioms.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 9, 2019 15:44

[www.google.com]

Kris Kristofferson ..

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 9, 2019 16:53

In my household:

- why dont you listen to something else
- the ”apes”
- i dont care about their legacy!
- im sick to death of having to hear about Brian Jones!
- yeah yeah Keith really was great, he’s so ugly!
- mick is ugly
- is that Keith in 1968? Ok.
- ”I see a red door and...wait that’s the Stones?
- I like Gimme shelter
- you can’t always get is a good song

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1502
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home