Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Is Little Richard an underrated artist?
Posted by: benstones ()
Date: October 6, 2019 08:28

Hi everyone,
First of all, sorry for my English.

Mick Jagger always said that he got inspired (among others) by Little Richard but I never saw/heard Mick Jagger or the Stones do a cover of a Little Richard's song. Am I wrong?

But my question is more deep: Is Little Richard an underrated artist?

In my opinion yes. I'm only 30 years old so I never really "live" in the Little Richard active period, but why do we make a big deal of Elvis that is "just" a singer when Little Richard is also a songwriter (and wrote terrific songs!)

I'm sad to think that the day Little Richard will die, they will start talking about him in the medias, do a biopic of him, documentaries etc... we don't talk about him enough TODAY!! HE'S AN ABSOLUTE LEGEND! He is, imho, THE ONLY KING, the father of rock'n'roll (I don't forget Chuck Berry but he arrived after).

Little Richard sings for Mohammed Ali's 50th birthday:
[www.youtube.com]

Benjamin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-06 08:30 by benstones.

Re: OT: Is Little Richard an underrated artist?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 6, 2019 08:46

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 6, 2019 09:08

Little Richard is not underrated.

Date: October 6, 2019 09:13

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 6, 2019 11:18

[m.youtube.com]

Lemmy was a fan.

[m.youtube.com]

Macca and Ronnie too.

Without Little Richard, no Mick Jagger?

Back to your question, Richard Penniman is not underrated by anyone with a brain. Wop-bobba-lu-wop-a-wop-bam-boom!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-06 11:33 by ab.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 6, 2019 12:58

He was the first artist I ever listened to and adored, people called me Max Richard in kindergarten even, I was obsessed. The other kids listened to kiss, I had Mr Penniman. I don't Think he is underrated but sure, he and Chuck should be above Elvis in my book of Rock Roll mileage/stamina/glory etc etc, guess it got to do with colour?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: October 6, 2019 13:38

When Mick cites Little Richard as an influence, he talks about establishing rapport with an audience. The whole "C'mon! Are you having a good time? Everybody say yeah!" he learned it from him. It's very much the real thing; the guys who learned it from Mick diluted it with "Put your hands together! I can't hear you!" and call the audience town names.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 6, 2019 20:18

Little Richard isn't underrated. What is underrated, however, are his post Specialty sides, such as I Don't Know What You Got, written by Don Covay, and hie Okeh northern soul.

However, Richard also does an awful version of Brown Sugar.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 6, 2019 20:27

I think he’s rated fairly accordingly. He’s rightfully recognised as being one of the pioneering rock n’ roll performers and songwriters. He’s just a notch below Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly in their shared craft.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: October 6, 2019 20:28

Little Richard underrated, NOT AT ALL! He is the King in my book.

I have a funny Little Richard story, sometime in the early 90's he was playing in NYC at a club called The Bottom Line, sadly no longer here, they had the tables set up cafeteria style leading right up to the stage. I was at the bar and was so moved by the spirit that I jumped up on a table and ran right towards the stage, I'll never forget Richards face as he looked at me. 2 security guards caught me and literally carried me out of the club and tossed me a clear 10 feet from the club door right onto west 4th street!

Date: October 6, 2019 20:35

This is a great performance and a great band - check out the drummer getting in to it!

Little Richard on the Midnight Special Show, 1974

If that don't knock your socks of....

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 6, 2019 20:46

When he was a mere lad in grade school, my son would have us play "Little Richard's Greatest Hits" every day for a few months. He loved it. Little Richard also put out an album of children's songs to sing along with which is pretty cool. Like many artists, there's a ton of great music to be found by him that sits on albums, basically unheard by the masses then and now, knowing only his hits, if these. Little Richard was considered such a subversive performer back in the 1950s that the establishment had performers like Pat Boone do covers of his songs hoping these would satisfy the younger generation listening to that rock'n'roll stuff.

In the 1970s LR put out an album called Southern Child which harkens back to his history/life. It's got some great stuff on it. As for his being underrated, yes, in terms of being one of the foundation pillars of early rock'n'roll rhythm and blues. McCartney has cited him as one of his influences. Thinking of McCartney influences, he and Lennon were also influenced by Arthur Alexander, another artist from back in the day who's been overlooked.

Here's a hit of Southern Child:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 6, 2019 21:36

Little Richard has gotten the notoriety and credit he deserves. He has never been underrated

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: October 6, 2019 22:09

coffeepotman
Little Richard underrated, NOT AT ALL! He is the King in my book.

I have a funny Little Richard story, sometime in the early 90's he was playing in NYC at a club called The Bottom Line, sadly no longer here, they had the tables set up cafeteria style leading right up to the stage. I was at the bar and was so moved by the spirit that I jumped up on a table and ran right towards the stage, I'll never forget Richards face as he looked at me. 2 security guards caught me and literally carried me out of the club and tossed me a clear 10 feet from the club door right onto west 4th street!

You made my day, great stuff.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 7, 2019 04:44

I don't think he's known for much beyond his biggest hits in the 50s. Therefore I think he's seen as somewhat limited to that, although they were great. I worked with him close up. Stood next to him while he played piano. He's a great talent. I think he would be rated higher if maybe he'd crossed over more. Had some hits in different genres. I think he's rated where he should be.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: October 7, 2019 09:32

tomcasagranda

However, Richard also does an awful version of Brown Sugar.

I wail my disagreement. In my opinion, his cover of Brown Sugar and his cameo in a Columbo episode are the highlights of his career.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: October 7, 2019 14:51

...some great (and historic) singles in the beginning...and after,nothing remarquable...!

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: October 7, 2019 16:23

benstones
But my question is more deep: Is Little Richard an underrated artist?

Yes. Yes, he is.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 7, 2019 18:08

jp.M
...some great (and historic) singles in the beginning...and after,nothing remarquable...!

Well, in all honesty you could say that about the majority of musicians, solo and groups.
Especially those that feel they must only record and perform their own material.
There are exceptions of course, but very much a minority.
Rock n roll as a form of entertainment seems unusual in that many of its performers have incredibly loyal fans who are happy to listen to the old hits of in some cases over 50 years ago over and over again.
I dont think that was the case pre Elvis?
Maybe we aren't such a throw away society after all.
Nostalgia lives on!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 7, 2019 18:38

I really enjoy his rendition of The Beatles’ I Saw Her Standing There.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 8, 2019 02:19

Little Richard is up there with the greats of Rock 'n Roll...…...just are The Rolling Stones to Blues music, along with the old legends like BB King,Howlin' Wolf,Muddy Waters and many others.
I always remember as a young kid watching Little Richard on the TV in the early 60's in the U.K. and even my mum and Dad were really impressed, especially his singing and playing with his feet on the piano.
Great stuff...……...and a huge influence to many bands ,musicians and performers.
[youtu.be]
I love this stuff from The Stones as well...……..which I so rememember on early live Friday night TV which was great from all these British Bands ,as well as this,they also had Little Richard,Otis Reading, Marvin Gaye, and many others on RSG...…….. live TV from London in the mid 60's.
[youtu.be]
smileys with beer

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 8, 2019 02:43

Under heard yes, underrated I don’t think so. His shadow is cast as long as any of the other “pioneers” onto rock music. Well respected and mentioned by a lot of earlier musicians as an influence, but his music is not played as much as some of his peers...

Date: October 8, 2019 02:50

Yeah influenced guys like --- Otis Redding -- James Brown
Don Covay -- Bunker Hill --- Richard Berry --- Joe Tex -- Young Jesse -xfx

ROCKMAN

Date: October 8, 2019 03:28

Some great vocals here:

The Commandments Of Love

Date: October 8, 2019 05:42

ROCKMAN

Date: October 8, 2019 06:46

Little Richard --- 1971 ----- Jim Marshall

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 8, 2019 08:22

Cool photo of LR in 1971. I have to wonder if his mustache is a Maybelline mustache, the inspiration for the painted on mustache writer/director John Waters wears.

Date: October 8, 2019 08:27

John Waters.....

He was a BIG Little Richard fan … probably still is ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 8, 2019 10:42

Little Richard kicked in some doors with "Tutti Frutti and Long Tall Sally" in the Fifties, he was one of the first to be inducted in The Hall of Fame in 1986. Little Richard and Chuck Berry had my very first Music interest as a teenager.

Posted by: benstones ()
Date: October 9, 2019 07:32

MadMax
He was the first artist I ever listened to and adored, people called me Max Richard in kindergarten even, I was obsessed. The other kids listened to kiss, I had Mr Penniman. I don't Think he is underrated but sure, he and Chuck should be above Elvis in my book of Rock Roll mileage/stamina/glory etc etc, guess it got to do with colour?

Love your post!! thumbs up

Benjamin.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1374
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home