Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: OT: The Jimi Hendrix Experience Royal Albert film release
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: October 10, 2019 01:32

Phil Good
I just hope it will not be a desaster as the filming/editing
of Cream's 1968 Farewell Concert was.

e.g. when Eric was playing his ass off you see closeups of Jack's back or Ginger's face. And so it went on and on almost the whole movie long.

There appear to have been issued quite a number of versions/editions of the footage over the years and I just wonder if there is one with everyhing that was recorded.

I also find it quite astonishing that there is no CD with whatever was recorded of both sets. I have a few AUDs but they do not sound exactly great. Hard to believe the concert wouldn't have been properly (professionally) recorded?

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 10, 2019 04:57

doitywoik
Phil Good

e.g. when Eric was playing his ass off you see closeups of Jack's back or Ginger's face. And so it went on and on almost the whole movie long.

There appear to have been issued quite a number of versions/editions of the footage over the years and I just wonder if there is one with everyhing that was recorded.

I also find it quite astonishing that there is no CD with whatever was recorded of both sets. I have a few AUDs but they do not sound exactly great. Hard to believe the concert wouldn't have been properly (professionally) recorded?

After I read this post, I went back in to my pile of cassette tapes and found two cassettes that a fellow trader sent to me years ago of the Royal Albert Hall show from 2/24/69:

The setlist:

Lover Man
Stone Free
Hear My Train a Comin'
I Don't Live Today
Red House
Foxy Lady
Sunshine of Your Love
Bleeding Heart
Fire
Little Wing
Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
Room Full of Mirrors
Purple Haze
Wild Thing
Star Spangled Banner

As far as I can tell from what I have listened to thus far, these are soundboard recordings and definitely not audience. Can't speak to if they were lifted from a video or not.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-10 05:05 by Sighunt.

Date: October 12, 2019 22:33

@Sighunt,

I was actually talking about the Cream farewell shows in London on Nov 26, 1968 winking smiley, of which there appear to be no decent SBD sources, not to speak of an official CD release. One of the two farewell shows is found on disc 4 of [www.discogs.com] but I don't know if it's the early or late show. (Also, I don't know whether the early and the late show had the same setlist or different setlists; etree is not of much help here either.) Sounds like an AUD (and not a great one) with several tape generations to me. The other Cream farewell concert boots I have stem quite likely from the same source (but I haven't listened to them for years).

It is these two shows of which it is hard for me to imagine that they were not professionally recorded in their entirety, or that whatever sound recordings not used in the movie were lost on the cutting floor. But who knows. Last year was the 50th anniversary, would've been the perfect occasio for a (double?) CD with a fat booklet, sold at a stiff price. Likewise surprising that there were no box sets of Cream's Fillmore and/or Winterland concerts, or the Western Tour '68.

As for Hendrix at the Albert Hall, both shows have been released in their entirety in a 3 CD box (Charly Records) in 2003 and then again 2006, see [www.discogs.com], in addition to the SBDs still being circulated in the usual places. Discs 1 & 2 is the Feb 24 show plus (part of) the afternoon rehearsals of that day, Disc 3 is the Feb 18 show. A boot with the (presumably) complete rehearsals is up and seeded at thetradersden. The (more or less) complete concert movie of Feb 24 (NTSC video-sourced, 74 min) is likewise up and seeded there. Whether this is an early/old video copy of (a version of) the film now to be shown in a one time experience or whether it is something different must be determined by the folks to experience the one time experience. winking smiley

Parts of the Feb 24 show have been released on the LPs "Experience" and "More Experience" already in the early 70s, on "Hendrix In The West" (two songs) and later on several (perhaps only semi-official) CDs. So whatever the legal trouble with the movie is, the soundtrack appears to be a free-for-all. LOL spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

(When I bought the "Experience" LP as a kid back in the 70s it was sold at a super-cheapo price, only about a third of what regular LPs used to cost back then, perhaps because it was so short, only ca. 30 min.)

Here's a bit on the legal battle(s) around the film:
[www.courthousenews.com]

Date: October 12, 2019 23:09

doitywoik
@Sighunt,

I was actually talking about the Cream farewell shows in London on Nov 26, 1968 winking smiley, of which there appear to be no decent SBD sources, not to speak of an official CD release. One of the two farewell shows is found on disc 4 of [www.discogs.com] but I don't know if it's the early or late show. (Also, I don't know whether the early and the late show had the same setlist or different setlists; etree is not of much help here either.) Sounds like an AUD (and not a great one) with several tape generations to me. The other Cream farewell concert boots I have stem quite likely from the same source (but I haven't listened to them for years).

It is these two shows of which it is hard for me to imagine that they were not professionally recorded in their entirety, or that whatever sound recordings not used in the movie were lost on the cutting floor. But who knows. Last year was the 50th anniversary, would've been the perfect occasio for a (double?) CD with a fat booklet, sold at a stiff price. Likewise surprising that there were no box sets of Cream's Fillmore and/or Winterland concerts, or the Western Tour '68.

As for Hendrix at the Albert Hall, both shows have been released in their entirety in a 3 CD box (Charly Records) in 2003 and then again 2006, see [www.discogs.com], in addition to the SBDs still being circulated in the usual places. Discs 1 & 2 is the Feb 24 show plus (part of) the afternoon rehearsals of that day, Disc 3 is the Feb 18 show. A boot with the (presumably) complete rehearsals is up and seeded at thetradersden. The (more or less) complete concert movie of Feb 24 (NTSC video-sourced, 74 min) is likewise up and seeded there. Whether this is an early/old video copy of (a version of) the film now to be shown in a one time experience or whether it is something different must be determined by the folks to experience the one time experience. winking smiley

Parts of the Feb 24 show have been released on the LPs "Experience" and "More Experience" already in the early 70s, on "Hendrix In The West" (two songs) and later on several (perhaps only semi-official) CDs. So whatever the legal trouble with the movie is, the soundtrack appears to be a free-for-all. LOL spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

(When I bought the "Experience" LP as a kid back in the 70s it was sold at a super-cheapo price, only about a third of what regular LPs used to cost back then, perhaps because it was so short, only ca. 30 min.)

[www.courthousenews.com]

"I was actually talking about the Cream farewell shows in London on Nov 26, 1968"

Sorry about that Thank you for clarifying.

Date: October 12, 2019 23:33

doitywoik
@Sighunt,

[www.courthousenews.com]

Speaking of Cream, how is the recording live at the Sports Arena, San Diego on 20th October 1968 on the London Calling Label?

Date: October 12, 2019 23:35

No worries mate smileys with beer

Just in case you happen to have a SBD source of these cream shows in your tape collection ... winking smiley

Date: October 13, 2019 15:05

doitywoik
No worries mate smileys with beer

Just in case you happen to have a SBD source of these cream shows in your tape collection ... winking smiley

Unfortunately, I never really collected a lot of rare live Cream stuff. The only thing I think I do have is Cream Stepping Out from London and Stockholm 67 which I think a lot of people have.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: October 15, 2019 04:31

24FPS
Phil Good

It was like that until the mid-70s. The Allman Brothers at Fillmore East film drives me up the wall. One of the very few films with Duane. He's ripping off these other worldly slide riffs and you see very few of them.

The Fillmore East video is decent but I would rather have the 1970 Atlanta Pop Festival video in private hands. From the clip I've seen and reports from those that have seen it in a private viewing it is pretty impressive. The Brothers performance is also stellar at Atlanta so that is holy grail for me.

Back on topic the Hendrix RAH video has been circulating for ages in decent quality so not that exciting for me.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: October 15, 2019 04:40

S.T.P
Hairball
24FPS
Phil Good

It was like that until the mid-70s. The Allman Brothers at Fillmore East film drives me up the wall. One of the very few films with Duane. He's ripping off these other worldly slide riffs and you see very few of them.

While there's no slide here, this clip is pretty good with several closeups of both Duane and Dicky during their respective solos,
but mostly overall it does a great job of capturing the all around vibe of the band's performance. Towards the end, Duane does this crazy one handed tapping on the neck - he certainly knew his way around a guitar.

Whipping Post - 9/23/1970 - Fillmore East

I've been wondering why this film with the Allman Brothers never was officially released. Anyone knows the story behind it?

It is a PBS public TV video so the band may not own the rights. I believe it never aired as there was a problem with Gregg's vocal so he is barely audible. I have a bootleg which decent but is only about 25 minutes so not sure how long the actual recording is.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 15, 2019 05:26

oldschool
S.T.P
Hairball
24FPS
Phil Good

While there's no slide here, this clip is pretty good with several closeups of both Duane and Dicky during their respective solos,
but mostly overall it does a great job of capturing the all around vibe of the band's performance. Towards the end, Duane does this crazy one handed tapping on the neck - he certainly knew his way around a guitar.

I've been wondering why this film with the Allman Brothers never was officially released. Anyone knows the story behind it?

It is a PBS public TV video so the band may not own the rights. I believe it never aired as there was a problem with Gregg's vocal so he is barely audible. I have a bootleg which decent but is only about 25 minutes so not sure how long the actual recording is.

I know the vocals are hardly audible at the beginning Dreams, but whatever problem there was is fixed by the end of the tune (just after the 7:00 mark), and they seem fine in the Whipping post clip posted above.

Such a great performance, but a shame the vocals are messed up.

Dreams

*** Just found this clip of the "The Allman Brothers Band - Full Concert - 09/23/70 - Fillmore East (OFFICIAL)" - AllmanBros - with this description:

"Summary:
On this date, Bill Graham assembled a stellar roster of bands to participate in the filming of a television special called Welcome To The Fillmore East for broadcast on educational channels. Short sets were filmed by the Byrds, the Elvin Bishop Group, Sha-Na-Na, Van Morrison, and the Allman Brothers Band, as well as behind-the-scenes footage of Bill Graham and the Fillmore East staff at work.

The Allman Brothers performance is nothing short of spectacular and features the original lineup that included Duane Allman and Berry Oakley. Recorded six months prior to the legendary Live At Fillmore East double album set, this performance captures the Allman Brothers when they were a relatively new band, full of youthful passion and performing what would become classic original material when it was fresh and new.

Following Bill Graham's introduction, they kick things off with a tight performance of "Don't Keep Me Wonderin'," which features the band's friend, Tom Doucette, blowing harp over the group's trademark sound. Gregg's vocal is barely audible, but it's obvious the group is full of fire. "Dreams," which follows, slows things down a bit and the group establishes a relaxed groove that showcases their trademark sound, blending elements that would eventually come to define "Southern Rock."

They hit their stride on the next number, Dickey Betts' "In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed." Here, the dual guitar attack of Allman and Betts is astounding. The two guitarists intertwine and synchronize in a manner nothing short of telepathic, creating a melting pot seasoned with elements of jazz, rock, country, and blues into a style utterly their own. The set ends with a ferocious take of "Whipping Post" that features outstanding melodic bass playing from Berry Oakley, with both Duane Allman and Dickey Betts soaring over the propulsive rhythm section. Shorter than the expansive versions that would develop in coming months, this is all the more fascinating for it, as they compress an incredible amount of energy into the time allotted. Time constrictions and vocal microphone malfunctions aside, this is still a fascinating performance. This original lineup of the band was certainly one of the most innovative and captivating bands to ever play the Fillmore".

Weird the summary mentions "They hit their stride on the next number, Dickey Betts' "In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed."' as that tune is nowhere to be heard in this video!

But here it is in all it's glory:

The Allman Brothers "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed"

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 15, 2019 08:17

Hairball
oldschool
S.T.P
Hairball
24FPS
Phil Good

I know the vocals are hardly audible at the beginning Dreams, but whatever problem there was is fixed by the end of the tune (just after the 7:00 mark), and they seem fine in the Whipping post clip posted above.

Such a great performance, but a shame the vocals are messed up.

Dreams

*** Just found this clip of the "The Allman Brothers Band - Full Concert - 09/23/70 - Fillmore East (OFFICIAL)" - AllmanBros - with this description:

"Summary:
On this date, Bill Graham assembled a stellar roster of bands to participate in the filming of a television special called Welcome To The Fillmore East for broadcast on educational channels. Short sets were filmed by the Byrds, the Elvin Bishop Group, Sha-Na-Na, Van Morrison, and the Allman Brothers Band, as well as behind-the-scenes footage of Bill Graham and the Fillmore East staff at work.

The Allman Brothers performance is nothing short of spectacular and features the original lineup that included Duane Allman and Berry Oakley. Recorded six months prior to the legendary Live At Fillmore East double album set, this performance captures the Allman Brothers when they were a relatively new band, full of youthful passion and performing what would become classic original material when it was fresh and new.

Following Bill Graham's introduction, they kick things off with a tight performance of "Don't Keep Me Wonderin'," which features the band's friend, Tom Doucette, blowing harp over the group's trademark sound. Gregg's vocal is barely audible, but it's obvious the group is full of fire. "Dreams," which follows, slows things down a bit and the group establishes a relaxed groove that showcases their trademark sound, blending elements that would eventually come to define "Southern Rock."

They hit their stride on the next number, Dickey Betts' "In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed." Here, the dual guitar attack of Allman and Betts is astounding. The two guitarists intertwine and synchronize in a manner nothing short of telepathic, creating a melting pot seasoned with elements of jazz, rock, country, and blues into a style utterly their own. The set ends with a ferocious take of "Whipping Post" that features outstanding melodic bass playing from Berry Oakley, with both Duane Allman and Dickey Betts soaring over the propulsive rhythm section. Shorter than the expansive versions that would develop in coming months, this is all the more fascinating for it, as they compress an incredible amount of energy into the time allotted. Time constrictions and vocal microphone malfunctions aside, this is still a fascinating performance. This original lineup of the band was certainly one of the most innovative and captivating bands to ever play the Fillmore".

Weird the summary mentions "They hit their stride on the next number, Dickey Betts' "In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed."' as that tune is nowhere to be heard in this video!

But here it is in all it's glory:

The Allman Brothers "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed"

So this isn't from the legendary Fillmore Recordings? Darn. I'd always hoped it was and they could just sync up the audio to the video.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 15, 2019 08:48

I assumed it was, but evidently it's not...never paid that close attention to all the details prior to this thread.
I'm a fan of the Allman Brothers, but not really a diehard fanatic who can tell which solo came from which show!

Reminds me of certain Deadheads who have a thousand bootlegs and can tell you which show is which based on minor trivial details, when in fact they all sound the same. winking smiley

Date: October 15, 2019 16:04

Sighunt
Speaking of Cream, how is the recording live at the Sports Arena, San Diego on 20th October 1968 on the London Calling Label?

I don't know about the London Calling label version but the version on "The Last Goodbye" is very OK (soundboard or perhaps preFM) and great audio quality. I don't know how many different (SBD or preFM) sources there are of this show but it wouldn't seem unlikely that both the "Last Goodbye" and the "London Calling label" versions come from the same source anyway.

BTW, the Diego 20th October 1968 show from "The Last Goodbye" is also available at dimeadozen (as a liberated boot) with three seeders. Definitely worth getting!

Hairball
Reminds me of certain Deadheads who have a thousand bootlegs and can tell you which show is which based on minor trivial details, when in fact they all sound the same. winking smiley

No, they don't (sound the same)! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-15 16:06 by doitywoik.

Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: February 24, 2020 08:17

"51st Anniversay" of Royal Albert Hall show and still nothing new sad smiley

YM

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: February 24, 2020 09:02

I grew up hearing a lot of Hendrix and thought I knew pretty much everything about him but recently I went back and sort of did an archeological dig through the catalog.
From listening to Are you Experienced, Axis and Electric Ladyland, the sheer breathtaking quality of sound and playing on those releases it dawned on me-all the shit released after his death was outtakes.
That means room full of mirrors, dolly dagger, Highway child, none of it is really finished.
The estate put together what was a reasonable facsimile of his next record called first rays of the new rising sun.
I’m guessing that was a working title even though they say it was gonna be called that.
But again, comparing just the sound alone you can tell it wasn’t finished.if he would’ve got that thing done, oh my god.
When we lost that dude we lost an immeasurable piece of rock and roll.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 24, 2020 09:27

Yeah, he was amazing. Too bad he didn't have much time with us. Hope the film gets a proper release sometime soon.

Posted by: footlooseman ()
Date: February 25, 2020 06:25

doitywoik
All shows are available on CD anyway, so no need to bootleg anything. To me, not really his greatest shows.

Also, at least parts of the movie appear to be around for decades anyway. Excerpts from the Albert Hall shows were and are frequently to be seen in Hendrix docus and can also be found on Youtube. I wonder to what extent the full movie differs from what is already around (apart from possibly being longer).

Unless there's legal problems I'd also be surprised if Janie Hendrix wouldn't go for a DVD or BlueRay release at some point. Simply wouldn't seem like her not to.

Agreed not his greatest performance but with so little available in great quality it needs an upgrade. The existing box that was released about twenty years back with the other night along with film would be a gift in better quality

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1717
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home