Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: The Jimi Hendrix Experience Royal Albert film release
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 3, 2019 18:44

I can only hope that somehow this appears on the Great Super Information Highway since they're claiming its only a one time showing.

[www.jimihendrix.com]

movie trailer

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: The Jimi Hendrix Experience Royal Albert film release
Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: October 3, 2019 19:17

It's a one time showing at Royal Albert Hall...
I would imagine it'll be screened and for sale eventually worldwide.

edit: never mind, I just read the site where it says "This screening is a strict ‘One Night Only’ experience for fans as there are no current plans for a further release of the concert." That sucks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-03 19:19 by Boognish.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 3, 2019 19:36

I seriously doubt Janie Hendrix would do a one time showing in London, with no further nothing, period. I would bet on a DVD/Blu Ray release somewhere down the road.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 3, 2019 19:44

Those £35 ticket prices are ridiculous.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: October 3, 2019 19:45

"I seriously doubt Janie Hendrix would do a one time showing in London, with no further nothing, period. I would bet on a DVD/Blu Ray release somewhere down the road."

I agree. This "strict one time viewing" is just a marketing ploy to get people to come out for the screening. It'll be released eventually. There is money to be made.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-03 19:46 by Boognish.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 3, 2019 19:56

Janie Hendrix makes so many others look so good

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 3, 2019 20:06

TheGreek

To her credit she hires a true JH fan (McDermott) to curate the release of archive material.

Date: October 3, 2019 20:39

24FPS
I seriously doubt Janie Hendrix would do a one time showing in London, with no further nothing, period. I would bet on a DVD/Blu Ray release somewhere down the road.

isn't there still a lawsuit ongoing about ownership of this performance?

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: October 3, 2019 22:20

Can't wait for this!!! Hopefully it gets an official releasesmileys with beer

Date: October 4, 2019 00:57

dcba
TheGreek

To her credit she hires a true JH fan (McDermott) to curate the release of archive material.

Yes, it's not all bad. I think Jimi met her once, when she was a little girl. Someone had to oversee the estate. The releases have been generally good.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 4, 2019 06:57

keefriffhard4life
24FPS

I don't know but I doubt it. The trailer shows that the material has been remastered and restored to bring it up to today's standarts. You don't shell out this money with lawsuits still pending and for just one theater showing only.

Date: October 4, 2019 15:09

retired_dog
keefriffhard4life
24FPS

I don't know but I doubt it. The trailer shows that the material has been remastered and restored to bring it up to today's standarts. You don't shell out this money with lawsuits still pending and for just one theater showing only.

I meant maybe both parties agreed to just this to extend to copyright so they can continue to battle in court

Date: October 4, 2019 18:30

keefriffhard4life
retired_dog
keefriffhard4life
24FPS

I meant maybe both parties agreed to just this to extend to copyright so they can continue to battle in court

Well, that's a good point. I would question if a limited theater showing of the movie prevents the soundtrack from falling out of copyright, though. But in the end, it's not my problem, it will be the problem of bootleggers who defend themselves at court!

Date: October 4, 2019 19:07

retired_dog
keefriffhard4life
retired_dog
keefriffhard4life
24FPS

Well, that's a good point. I would question if a limited theater showing of the movie prevents the soundtrack from falling out of copyright, though. But in the end, it's not my problem, it will be the problem of bootleggers who defend themselves at court!

exactly. not our problem so we can enjoy this

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: October 4, 2019 21:39

I don't find it that great of a movie, actually. Lots of zoom-in-and-out shots and close-ups, with choppy editing and poor camera angles. The performance itself is quite good, though.

Janie Hendrix seems like a bit of a megalomaniac and iron fist, claiming SHE is 'Little Wing'. Also estranging Jimi's half brother, Leon over merch deals, also shutting down non-profit Jimi fan websites that 'violate copyright'.

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: October 4, 2019 23:11

Looks like Rocky Dzidzournou on congas for Roomful of Mirrors and the end of Purple Haze.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 7, 2019 18:09

Came across this while stumbling around utoob: The Experience in concert 1969. There's a really version of Red House in it.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: October 7, 2019 21:32

retired_dog
keefriffhard4life
24FPS

Exactly.

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: October 8, 2019 01:40

retired_dog
keefriffhard4life
retired_dog
keefriffhard4life
24FPS

In order to secure the copyright for the audio recording of the 1969 Royal Albert Hall show in the EU "the fixation [= recording] of the performance" must be "lawfully published or lawfully communicated to the public within 50 years after the performance is made". According to EU law the presentation of the film at the Royal Albert this year constitutes a "lawful communication to the public" and thus would secure the copyright for the recording in the EU until 2089 (date of lawful communication to the public + 70 years).

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: October 8, 2019 03:56

MrEcho
retired_dog
keefriffhard4life
retired_dog
keefriffhard4life
24FPS

In order to secure the copyright for the audio recording of the 1969 Royal Albert Hall show in the EU "the fixation [= recording] of the performance" must be "lawfully published or lawfully communicated to the public within 50 years after the performance is made". According to EU law the presentation of the film at the Royal Albert this year constitutes a "lawful communication to the public" and thus would secure the copyright for the recording in the EU until 2089 (date of lawful communication to the public + 70 years).

That's how I understand the EU version of the law too.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: October 8, 2019 16:10

I just hope it will not be a desaster as the filming/editing
of Cream's 1968 Farewell Concert was.

e.g. when Eric was playing his ass off you see closeups of Jack's back or Ginger's face. And so it went on and on almost the whole movie long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-08 16:10 by Phil Good.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: October 8, 2019 17:00

Date: October 8, 2019 22:41

Phil Good

e.g. when Eric was playing his ass off you see closeups of Jack's back or Ginger's face. And so it went on and on almost the whole movie long.

It was like that until the mid-70s. The Allman Brothers at Fillmore East film drives me up the wall. One of the very few films with Duane. He's ripping off these other worldly slide riffs and you see very few of them.

Date: October 8, 2019 22:43

MrEcho
retired_dog
keefriffhard4life
retired_dog
keefriffhard4life
24FPS

All good and well, but the law itself does not define what a "lawful communication to the public" is, so it's up to courts to judge individual cases such as this limited theater showing that in my humble opinion does not meet the requirement that the performance or the fixation of the performance must be available to the public by wire or wireless means in such a way that members of the public may access it from a place and at a time individually chosen by them, what is hardly the case here.

In addition to that, as their lawyer I would strongly advise them to avoid public statements like "This screening is a strict ‘One Night Only’ experience for fans as there are no current plans for a further release of the concert." because the foundation of the "use it or lose it" copyright extension is the expressed intention to use the material in future...

Again, this is not my problem, but good luck to all the involved parties in possible future court cases...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-08 22:46 by retired_dog.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: October 9, 2019 16:00

All shows are available on CD anyway, so no need to bootleg anything. To me, not really his greatest shows.

Also, at least parts of the movie appear to be around for decades anyway. Excerpts from the Albert Hall shows were and are frequently to be seen in Hendrix docus and can also be found on Youtube. I wonder to what extent the full movie differs from what is already around (apart from possibly being longer).

Unless there's legal problems I'd also be surprised if Janie Hendrix wouldn't go for a DVD or BlueRay release at some point. Simply wouldn't seem like her not to.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 9, 2019 17:03

I just watched a 49 minutes Vimeo: Jimi Hendrix Experience Royal Albert hall 69 Concert, in the end part Jimi was thrashing his amps and guitar and fans storming the stage!smileys with beer

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: October 9, 2019 20:41

runaway
I just watched a 49 minutes Vimeo: Jimi Hendrix Experience Royal Albert hall 69 Concert, in the end part Jimi was thrashing his amps and guitar and fans storming the stage!smileys with beer

See my link above for the complete 80 minute video bootleg.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 9, 2019 20:59

24FPS
Phil Good

It was like that until the mid-70s. The Allman Brothers at Fillmore East film drives me up the wall. One of the very few films with Duane. He's ripping off these other worldly slide riffs and you see very few of them.

While there's no slide here, this clip is pretty good with several closeups of both Duane and Dicky during their respective solos,
but mostly overall it does a great job of capturing the all around vibe of the band's performance. Towards the end, Duane does this crazy one handed tapping on the neck - he certainly knew his way around a guitar.

Whipping Post - 9/23/1970 - Fillmore East

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: October 9, 2019 22:25

Hairball
24FPS
Phil Good

While there's no slide here, this clip is pretty good with several closeups of both Duane and Dicky during their respective solos,
but mostly overall it does a great job of capturing the all around vibe of the band's performance. Towards the end, Duane does this crazy one handed tapping on the neck - he certainly knew his way around a guitar.

Whipping Post - 9/23/1970 - Fillmore East

I've been wondering why this film with the Allman Brothers never was officially released. Anyone knows the story behind it?

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 9, 2019 22:48

Milan
runaway

See my link above for the complete 80 minute video bootleg.

Yes thanks, I watched the 120 and 140, the 120 minutes has no sound at 39 minutes for 10 minutes, they used a few cameras so there may be a lot more footage of those Concerts and I prefer without the graphics, so the movie could be interesting.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1132
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home