Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

'Sympathy For The Drummer: Why Charlie Watts Matters' - November 1
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 2, 2019 18:27

PRAISE FOR MIKE EDISON AND SYMPATHY FOR THE DRUMMER

“Charlie Watts lays it down, and the others follow. He is the Law. This book explains why.” — Clem Burke, Blondie

“Required reading for any Stones fan.” — Bun E. Carlos

“Sympathy for the Drummer is so much more than an incisive appreciation of Charlie Watts, it is an effusively infectious tribute to art in all of its myriad forms.” — Jim Sclavunos, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

“A great voice of authority and knowledge, dispensed with free-wheeling fluidity. Super entertaining, and right on.” — Katherine Turman, coauthor, Louder Than Hell: The Complete Oral History of Heavy Metal

“A wild ride through six-plus decades of music history... An illuminating and massively entertaining book.” — Dan Epstein, author Big Hair and Plastic Grass

“Mike Edison’s libertine prose swings and hits like Charlie Watt’s right hand.” — Meredith Ochs, author Rock-and-Roll Woman

“It’s not hard to fathom why a former editor of both Screw and High Times magazines would find writing about the Rolling Stones, one of the most dissolute champions of sex and drugs, right in his conceptual wheelhouse. But Edison takes a unique approach by focusing his investigation on Charlie Watts, the woefully underappreciated lynchpin of the Stones sound. This book is a delightful look at the Stones through the eyes and the beats of their most reticent member. Finally someone gave this drummer some.” — Larry “Ratso” Sloman, author On the Road with Bob Dylan

“Charlie Watts is the backbone of the Rolling Stones. In this affectionate yet unflinching biography, Mike Edison shows how integral his jazz sensibility makes them a true band: keeping time, creating space, and hitting the crash cymbal at just the right moment.” — Lenny Kaye, guitarist, author of You Call It Madness: the Sensuous Song of the Croon

“An imaginative consideration of the Rolling Stones, one which will let you hear utterly familiar tracks with entirely fresh ears." — Ira Robbin

[mikeedison.com]

--

Promo video - [youtu.be]

Re: 'Sympathy For The Drummer: Why Charlie Watts Matters' - November 1
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 2, 2019 19:01

The promo video reminded me of this:

[www.youtube.com]

I'll cut him slack for the good Aerosmith line.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: October 2, 2019 19:08

I would have airbrushed Mick out of that cover image to put the focus on Charlie not Mick. But that's just me.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: October 2, 2019 19:47

In response to that promo, I could see Charlie saying "Well done, Sonny" (Gimme Shelter film) only "Well done, Mike".

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: October 3, 2019 03:33

I'll give it a read. Whilst on the subject, Charlie Watt's Favorite Drummers by Chet Falzerano and Charlie is a good read.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 5, 2019 21:12

Boognish
I would have airbrushed Mick out of that cover image to put the focus on Charlie not Mick. But that's just me.

I agree... but - there may've been some discussion about being able to get people that might not understand - or know who Charlie is - if they put Mick on the cover. It's not Ringo, which almost everyone knows.

Just a guess. I certainly don't know. People invent stupid mental scenarios these days because they're lazy, headline readers or worried about offending someone.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 6, 2019 00:21

bye bye johnny
“Charlie Watts lays it down, and the others follow. He is the Law.

Wait, what? Charlie follows Keith and Bill follows Charlie.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 6, 2019 01:05

Koen
bye bye johnny

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 6, 2019 02:13

Koen
bye bye johnny

Bill's account of the wobble is that Charlie follows Keith and Bill anticipates Keith.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: October 17, 2019 11:15

At the book signing ,

[youtu.be]

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 17, 2019 15:55

>> “Mike Edison’s libertine prose swings and hits like Charlie Watt’s right hand.” — Meredith Ochs, author Rock-and-Roll Woman <<

well, technically, his left hand.. smiling smiley

really, both hands and feet..

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: October 19, 2019 21:06

Thank you for posting about this book. I'm getting it right away!

CBII

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 19, 2019 22:17

wonderboy
Koen
bye bye johnny

Bill's account of the wobble is that Charlie follows Keith and Bill anticipates Keith.

Hoho, now it gets confusing. I remember Keith saying in interviews that he follows Charlie and not the other way around. He pointed that out by saying that during live songs he, from time to time, goes to Charlie to make sure that he is line with him.
But what the heck, who cares. For me from the very start of the 60s wave it was very clear why The Rolling Stones had this advantage over all those other bands ... it was that solid rhythm "machine" made up by Charlie and Bill making it possible for the talented Brian and Keith to freak out with their guitar weaving.
So Mick had the best possible musicians behind him, making the band unique.

smileys with beer

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 20, 2019 08:32

you tube clip is a riot.... Respectable is a crowd pleaser!

Date: October 20, 2019 09:07

georgie48
wonderboy
Koen
bye bye johnny

Hoho, now it gets confusing. I remember Keith saying in interviews that he follows Charlie and not the other way around. He pointed that out by saying that during live songs he, from time to time, goes to Charlie to make sure that he is line with him.
But what the heck, who cares. For me from the very start of the 60s wave it was very clear why The Rolling Stones had this advantage over all those other bands ... it was that solid rhythm "machine" made up by Charlie and Bill making it possible for the talented Brian and Keith to freak out with their guitar weaving.
So Mick had the best possible musicians behind him, making the band unique.

smileys with beer

Charlie follows Keith. If they're not "clicking", Keith goes back to Charlie to smoothen things up. Btw, he also goes back to Charlie when they really swing.

Bill anticipate what Keith does. So , yes, the wobble is both a different approach and a bit difficult smiling smiley

“Sympathy for the Drummer: Why Charlie Watts Matters”
Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: December 9, 2019 01:45

I searched all forums and it does not appear that this book has mentioned yet.
[www.amazon.com]

That needs to change now!

Really fun and ebullient read by an author, Mike Edison, who is by all appearances as obsessive about Charlie’s greatness as we all are. It’s a monograph about Charlie but, also, an appreciation of the great unsung drummers of early rock and Chicago blues.

I think my favorite part was Edison’s take on the revelatory emergence of Charlie’s China cymbal in the late-‘70s. Its most famous crash is probably in the into to “She’s So Cold.” The crescendo ending of “How Can I Stop” might be its finest moment.

Anyway, I recommend it to all.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-09 01:54 by MelBelli.

Re: “Sympathy for the Drummer: Why Charlie Watts Matters”
Date: December 9, 2019 01:57

Date: December 9, 2019 02:03

Okay, then what am I doing wrong with the search engine? I searched for “any words” of the title as well as the author’s last name. Nada.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 9, 2019 02:29

Make sure you also widen the time period to search. Default is 30 days.

Date: December 9, 2019 02:38

Good tip, thx.

Date: December 9, 2019 02:39

MelBelli
Okay, then what am I doing wrong with the search engine? I searched for “any words” of the title as well as the author’s last name. Nada.

First time I tried it, it didn't work either using Exact Words and checking for all time. Second time, I put quotes around "Sympathy for the Drummer" and it worked. Don't ask me, Mr. Belli. I just remembered the thread.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: December 9, 2019 05:53

Read it. Well worth it.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 9, 2020 17:20

Sympathy for the Drummer Is an Unbeatable Analysis of the Rolling Stones' Charlie Watts

by Dave Segal

[www.thestranger.com]

Reviewing Sympathy for the Drummer - Why Charlie Watts Matters
Date: January 27, 2020 13:00

Got a proof copy of the book just before Christmas, and finally reviewed it for ye olde International Times. It's a brilliant book, very funny and insightful, some great footnotes, a broad perspective, and this is someone who rates Black & Blue AND Love You Live. I tijhnk maybe it's one of the best on the MUSIC - really shifts perspective on some of the songs that are very familiar ....

http://internationaltimes.it/why-charlie-watts-

Re: Reviewing Sympathy for the Drummer - Why Charlie Watts Matters
Date: January 27, 2020 15:04

More here: [iorr.org]

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: January 27, 2020 23:57

I have it now for over a month, but I still have to read it.
But it looks good, it's a little smaller than the average book.

Sympathy for the Drummer book
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 26, 2020 02:12

I don't read new books on the Stones. They are almost always a rehash of what was written years ago by better writers. 'Sympathy for the Drummer - Why Charlie Watts Matters', by Mike Edison was slightly different, focusing on Charlie. And it was free at my local library.

I can't say I walked away with a deeper understanding of Charlie's magic. The author took a stab at Bill, stating, "....the severely underrated bassist, Bill Wyman, whose accomplishments and presence have never been sung with as much praise as they merit. Often buried in the mix, he drove the band, playing with a very certain mastery of his instrument, and kept order in what could be an unruly mess. He was unequivocally a component part of the Stones sound."

He barely mentions Bill again, but does note that Bill's departure didn't matter on stage because Steel Wheels forward was filled with more and more people. He lightly touches on the sensitive subject of Daryl, basically intimating that he doesn't really matter. That Bill was part of the blueprint made long, long ago.

Maybe it's practically impossible to describe how Charlie drums. He's integral, but the author doesn't really state why. I think it's rather simple. For the most part, Charlie can simply play whatever you need him to play. For the first 30 years of the group they experimented with a dazzling amount of genres. Charlie, with Bill, were able to pull off most of those styles admirably, with maybe reggae being a bridge too far.

Anyway, the book is light reading. Nothing deeply revelatory. Plus he extols Sad, Sad, Sad, a throwaway song in the Flip The Switch/Dirty Work dustbin.

Re: Sympathy for the Drummer book
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 27, 2020 00:30

24FPS
"....the severely underrated bassist, Bill Wyman, whose accomplishments and presence have never been sung with as much praise as they merit. Often buried in the mix, he drove the band, playing with a very certain mastery of his instrument, and kept order in what could be an unruly mess. He was unequivocally a component part of the Stones sound."

Severely underrated?

Buried in the mix?

Bill Wyman?

C

Re: Sympathy for the Drummer book
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 27, 2020 13:09

liddas
24FPS
"....the severely underrated bassist, Bill Wyman, whose accomplishments and presence have never been sung with as much praise as they merit. Often buried in the mix, he drove the band, playing with a very certain mastery of his instrument, and kept order in what could be an unruly mess. He was unequivocally a component part of the Stones sound."

Severely underrated?

Buried in the mix?

Bill Wyman?

C

Underrated by all but the biggest fans. Buried in the mix? I remember Bill saying Bob Clearmountain's work was the first time he wasn't buried in the mix.

And I'm another won. I tried like hell not to make a duplicate thread. I typed in the entire name of the book, and still, bubkis.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1772
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home