Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Rod Stewart
Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: September 30, 2019 18:50

I was watching a live concert of Rod Stewart yesterday. His voice has detoriated a lot compare to Mick. But his musicians are much powerful than STONES

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-07 12:39 by bv.

Re: Rod Stewart
Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 30, 2019 19:08

pftw04
I was watching a live concert of Rod Stewart yesterday. His voice has detoriated a lot compare to Mick. But his musicians are much powerful than STONES

That's because like most soloists, he hires in a younger backing band. It's not a fair comparison really.

Date: September 30, 2019 19:14

Powerful, in what way?

When I hear MR, even in concert today, I'm not thinking of polished younger musicians.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-30 19:15 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 30, 2019 21:42

I know what's being said. Go listen to Brian Wilson's group, and then listen to Mike Love's 'Beach Boys'. Brian has incredibly competent musicians and singers. (And he adds Al Jardine, Dave Marks-early Beach Boy, and Blondie Chaplin to the mix) It wouldn't have hurt the Stones to try and add some talented musicians to their mix, as long as the 4 left are still on stage. Having artists that enhance the Stones music, like Nicky, Mick T. and Bill Wyman used to, would be appreciated.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 30, 2019 21:44

24FPS
I know what's being said. Go listen to Brian Wilson's group, and then listen to Mike Love's 'Beach Boys'. Brian has incredibly competent musicians and singers. (And he adds Al Jardine, Dave Marks-early Beach Boy, and Blondie Chaplin to the mix) It wouldn't have hurt the Stones to try and add some talented musicians to their mix, as long as the 4 left are still on stage. Having artists that enhance the Stones music, like Nicky, Mick T. and Bill Wyman used to, would be appreciated.

And Dave Marks can play Chuck Berry licks like a mofo!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 30, 2019 21:44

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 30, 2019 22:29

Rockman

Who won?

Date: September 30, 2019 23:19

Mick is doing the old thumb squeeze-trick. I bet he won smiling smiley

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 30, 2019 23:25

DandelionPowderman

Ding!

Date: October 1, 2019 00:44

bleedingman
DandelionPowderman

Ding!

Haha thumbs up

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: October 1, 2019 06:11

24FPS

As much as I love Brian Wilson and his band, this is not a fair or accurate statement. The "Mike and Bruce" Beach Boys though a smaller unit, contain sharp, top notch musicians. There is some crossover between the two groups btw.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: October 1, 2019 11:06

I saw Rod a couple of years ago. And man, his backing band sucked. All so clinical and boring. They sound cheap, like a band you’d hire for a commercial.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 1, 2019 11:10

24FPS

Don't we have enough side musicians on stage?

And when there were more, didn't everybody complain?

C

Date: October 1, 2019 15:12

IMO Rod Stewart has become embarrassing. I will always consider him, because there was a time he was beautiful. Those early albums, and the the Faces are some of the best music I know. And great singing.
At my job I hang with a bunch of young guns, and I have to educate them on music LOL. Rod comes on, and I try to explain that he was a great one in his time. But his 'current' music is like Sweet'n Low: saccharine, passe`, trite.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 1, 2019 16:45

Manners! It's Sir Roderick now...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 1, 2019 17:12

Palace Revolution 2000
IMO Rod Stewart has become embarrassing. I will always consider him, because there was a time he was beautiful. Those early albums, and the the Faces are some of the best music I know. And great singing.
At my job I hang with a bunch of young guns, and I have to educate them on music LOL. Rod comes on, and I try to explain that he was a great one in his time. But his 'current' music is like Sweet'n Low: saccharine, passe`, trite.

Its one of the saddest stories in rock. For 10 years, he was basically perfect. Then in like 1976 he never did another good thing again. Its absurd. And its amazing that first 10 years was SO good that it can overshadow 40 bad ones. He's as lite and Vegas as you can get now, with songs that were SO good.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 1, 2019 18:55

Rod's music has given me so much joy that I truly can't say a bad word about him.

His band in the late 70's must be one of r'n'r greatest bands ever (any band with Appice and Chen must deserve that title).

In his autobio (highly recommended) Rod gives full account of what he went through with his voice: no surprise it has deteriorated, we should be surprised he can still sing at all!

C

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 1, 2019 19:30

I don't think it's necessary to compare Sir Roderick with the Stones. Sir Roderick has always been more of a showman/entertainer. Like Sir Elton for instance. Nothing wrong with that.
After all they are all in showbiz. There is one valid comparison to make though. They are both nostalgia acts by now playing mostly 40-55 year old hits.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 3, 2019 23:56

Posted by: woody ()
Date: October 5, 2019 15:15

Rod was once brilliant, now a ‘wedding ‘ singer

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 5, 2019 15:27

Stoneage
They are both nostalgia acts by now playing mostly 40-55 year old hits.

very unlike the Stones, of course, who are mainly focused on fresh songs from their latest albums spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 5, 2019 20:47

woody
Rod was once brilliant, now a ‘wedding ‘ singer

He’s slowly morphing into Barry Manilow.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 5, 2019 21:03

is his band more powerful than a speeding locomotive? Or do they just break more strings?

Date: October 5, 2019 21:16

Stoneage
I don't think it's necessary to compare Sir Roderick with the Stones. Sir Roderick has always been more of a showman/entertainer. Like Sir Elton for instance. Nothing wrong with that.
After all they are all in showbiz. There is one valid comparison to make though. They are both nostalgia acts by now playing mostly 40-55 year old hits.

I think for the last 25 years ago, you would put Mick into the showman /entertainer classification also.
This is based on his preference to tour against creating new music.
Choice? Probably not, if the creative spark has dried up, what else can the poor boy do?

Van Morrison is certainly in both camps snd is probably an exception amongst his Peers.

Date: December 15, 2019 10:49

Rod's new album is No 1 in the UK album charts.
Makes him the oldest solo Male singer to achieve such a feat (taking over from
Paul Simon apparantly).
Will it spur another Knight of the Realm...one Sir Mick to record a solo album? Are they 'competitive ' any more?
I 'm sure they compare others tour revenues with their own receipts.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 15, 2019 19:38

jlowe
Are they 'competitive ' any more?

Not really.

Re: OT: Rod Stewart
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 15, 2019 20:41

Rod's Vegas show was very good. Very fan friendly. He came off as a guy you'd like to have a beer or 2 with. & he did a lot of the good material (older), not as much of the questionable later stuff.

Re: OT: Rod Stewart
Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: December 15, 2019 21:36

Few great Rod programmes on BBC2 last night - Reel Stories, the Imagine Omnibus documentary, and an hour from Hyde Park a few years ag (featured Jim Cregan on "I was Only Joking").

I love Rod to the mid 70s, and have a liking of some of the later 70s albums - Footloose, Blondes; 80s Rod more hit and miss. Footloose and Fancy Free is good most of the way through. A Night on the Town prob my favourite post-Smiler album.

Watched Live 1979 in L.A on Youtube, the band with Chen, Appice and Cregan rocked!

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: December 15, 2019 21:48

Stoneage
I don't think it's necessary to compare Sir Roderick with the Stones. Sir Roderick has always been more of a showman/entertainer.

Unlike Sir Michael.

Date: December 16, 2019 19:11

DeanGoodman
Stoneage
I don't think it's necessary to compare Sir Roderick with the Stones. Sir Roderick has always been more of a showman/entertainer.

Unlike Sir Michael.

In my opinion, Sir Mick IS a showman...one of the best in the business. Not as showbizzzy as Rod or Macca though.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1841
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home