Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Ian Hunter Cancels Mott's U.S. Tour - Suffering From Tinnitus
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 30, 2019 17:04

Mott the Hoople '74 are disappointed to have to announce the cancellation of their Fall 2019 U.S. tour. Ian Hunter has recently developed a severe case of tinnitus and has been advised by his doctors to discontinue performing until this condition subsides.

Tickets purchased for these dates can be refunded at point of sale. The below message is from Ian:

Hey Kids,

I’m afraid I’m not very well.

It happened out of the blue three weeks ago; I got hit heavily by tinnitus. It’s unrelenting and on doctors orders, I’ve had to cancel everything for the time being.

I’ve had it on and off for years, but it’s always slid away. This time it’s stayed - it knocks the stuffing and the confidence out of you.
You lot know I love to tour - been doing it for 50 years. I hate to let everybody down, but I’m stuck and I can’t even go to the post box at the moment never mind a tour. Unhappy is not the word for it. I’ve had tests - no tumors, but it’s loud and incessant and frankly scary.

I know this puts people out - believe me, I know. I just hope you’ll understand. You’re great fans and I’ll always appreciate you following me - I’m not everybody’s cup of tea!! Obviously the Ranters are bummed out as is Morgan ’n’ the Great Ariel Bender, to say nothing of the crew and business people involved. Thank you, Mike and Frank for your understanding.

Where do we go from here - I’ve no idea kids. I’m just hoping it gets fed up with me eventually!! Don’t feel sorry for me - it’s been a great run if, indeed, it stays with me, and I have to stop now. Maybe it will sod off at some point - I just don’t know.

I’ll keep you updated via my website. Once again, sorry to you all.
Love ’n’ kisses

Re: OT: Ian Hunter Cancels Mott's U.S. Tour - Suffering From Tinnitus
Date: September 30, 2019 17:08

Oh, no... sad smiley

But he's supernatural already, touring in his 80s. Let's hope this slides off again.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 30, 2019 17:09

Come to think of it, a reviewer who attended the show here in Detroit last April wrote that the sound was "far too loud, far too hot, lacking any definition in favor of pure, punishing volume. A distracting hum burdened a fair chunk of the show, while everything from the stage was pushed to such extremes that vocals and particularly solos by Bender and Fisher were brittle and distorted -- a criminal disservice to what was an otherwise triumphant reunion." Wonder if that might have had anything to do with it.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 30, 2019 18:01

Dammit.

Had tickets and was really looking forward to the LA show.

Although reading the description of the Detroit volume situation, perhaps I'm better off. My own tinnitus keeps getting worse and worse (even though I've been wearing good earplugs at concerts in recent years) and "punishing volume" isn't my idea of a good time anymore.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 30, 2019 19:00

You know I just read that and I was struck by the sincerity of the note and wish Ian Hunter the best !

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 30, 2019 19:49

Tinnitus is a terrible sensation. I have what I'd consider very minor tinnitus, and it can be irritating in a completely quiet environment, or when trying to sleep. I can't imagine what more severe tinnitus is like for a person, and hope never to find out.

Hope Ian gets better ASAP.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 1, 2019 02:54

It's absolutely sincere. Ian has had hearing issues for some time now. It's amazed me that he's done as well as he has onstage.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: October 1, 2019 18:58

tatters
Come to think of it, a reviewer who attended the show here in Detroit last April wrote that the sound was "far too loud, far too hot, lacking any definition in favor of pure, punishing volume. A distracting hum burdened a fair chunk of the show, while everything from the stage was pushed to such extremes that vocals and particularly solos by Bender and Fisher were brittle and distorted -- a criminal disservice to what was an otherwise triumphant reunion." Wonder if that might have had anything to do with it.

Funny you should say that. I went to the Rant Band's gig in Harpenden UK in June 2017 and I also thought it a bit too loud. And no - this is not my peculiarity - as I thought the Stones in Hyde Park was not loud ENOUGH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-01 20:57 by exhpart.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: October 1, 2019 20:56

I've had tinnitus for years and yes, it used to ebb and flow. For the past year or so, it's been loud as hell and unrelenting.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: October 2, 2019 17:27

TheGreek
You know I just read that and I was struck by the sincerity of the note and wish Ian Hunter the best !

Yeah, he comes across a humble decent guy. Wish him all the best.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 2, 2019 18:07

Your eardrums are like yuor liver : you may abuse these organs for years with dB's or alcohol and nothing will happen. Then one day another burst of noises or a glass of booze and your organ says "enough" and gives up on you.

Or... you may abuse your liver and your eardrums for years and nothing will ever happen to you. In that case your name is Ron Wood! grinning smiley

Date: October 2, 2019 20:07

can't you get era pieces and hearing aids that help correct this issue some?

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: October 2, 2019 20:24

keefriffhard4life
can't you get era pieces and hearing aids that help correct this issue some?

They don't help all that much. It's just something you have to learn to live with. Could be way, way worse is what I tell myself.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1690
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home