Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Metallica stuff
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 29, 2019 20:32

Metallica´s James Hetfield in rehab (again)

A Note from Lars, Kirk, and Rob

Sep 27, 2019

We are truly sorry to inform our fans and friends that we must postpone our upcoming tour of Australia and New Zealand.

As most of you probably know, our brother James has been struggling with addiction on and off for many years. He has now, unfortunately, had to re-enter a treatment program to work on his recovery again.

We fully intend to make our way to your part of the world as soon as health and schedule permit. We’ll let you know as soon as we can. Once again, we are devastated that we have inconvenienced so many of you, especially our most loyal fans who often travel great distances to experience our shows. We appreciate your understanding and support for James and, as always, thank you for being a part of our Metallica family.

All tickets purchased to the shows in Australia and New Zealand, including Enhanced Experiences and Black Tickets, will be fully refunded. More details on how to obtain your refund are below.

[www.metallica.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-30 15:12 by bv.

Re: OT Metallica´s James Hetfield in rehab (again)
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 29, 2019 21:22

A shame for fans. Best of luck to him. I hope he truly embraces change. It is never easy to conquer addictions that deceive us into thinking we're still in control.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 29, 2019 21:24

Keep trying.
Points to the band for being open about this.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: September 29, 2019 21:36

wonderboy
Keep trying.
Points to the band for being open about this.

Some Kind of Monster is perhaps the most open portrayal of a band on film. Wouldn’t expect anything less.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 29, 2019 21:43

"There was drink and drug and all kinds of stuff just thrown at you all the time and it starts off as a fun little thing, and then it turns into an escape, and then all of a sudden you don’t remember why you’re out there doing stuff,” Hetfield said. “I went on tour just so I could go to the strip clubs, or we’re going to drink here, but the actual playing on stage, it kind of gotten forgotten about a little bit.”
[loudwire.com]

People who coughed out big bucks to see them over the years will be "delighted" to know their enjoyement was secondary to some stripper's titties... eye popping smiley
(and I like Het).
And I hope he'll get rid of his addiction to... big game hunting!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-29 21:45 by dcba.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: September 29, 2019 22:29

I never understood Keith's remark "Rehab is for quitters" (to Ronnie) Seems like the opposite, he who does rehab is bound to relapse.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: September 29, 2019 23:36

dcba
People who coughed out big bucks to see them over the years will be "delighted" to know their enjoyement was secondary to some stripper's titties...

It's probably better not to know too much about one's idols.

For all we know, Charlie Watts could be in it merely for the antiques collectibles and horses.

David Gilmour admitted in a latter day interview that when he's up on stage and playing guitar, like a solo he's already played hundreds of times, he's mentally composing a grocery shopping list for the following day.

David Gilmour grinning after just remembering there's a sale on lamb chops at the supermarket tomorrow.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: September 30, 2019 02:07

Nikkei
I never understood Keith's remark "Rehab is for quitters" (to Ronnie) Seems like the opposite, he who does rehab is bound to relapse.

Actually, I believe this is etched into the welcoming arch above the entrance to the Betty Ford Center.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 30, 2019 03:55

stone66
dcba
People who coughed out big bucks to see them over the years will be "delighted" to know their enjoyement was secondary to some stripper's titties...

David Gilmour admitted in a latter day interview that when he's up on stage and playing guitar, like a solo he's already played hundreds of times, he's mentally composing a grocery shopping list for the following day.

David Gilmour grinning after just remembering there's a sale on lamb chops at the supermarket tomorrow.

smiling smiley

Admittedly, my mind has gone grocery shopping at times whenever I've seen David Gilmour live (excluding The Wall, 1980).
One of my favorite guitarists and vocalists on some of my favorite Floyd albums (up until The Wall), and an occasional decent solo tune here or there, but seeing him live on his own can be a chore in itself.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 30, 2019 13:15

Nikkei
That is a distortion of reality for those that want to change for a more healthy life . Good for those that want to live healthy . Our health is the most important in order to have a good quality of life . Rant over .

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 30, 2019 14:07

I just want to know when S&M2 is coming out as an album.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 30, 2019 14:08

Good for him for being proactive. I've watched live clips of Metallica this year, and James has looked very haggard and bloated. His rough appearance makes sense now.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 30, 2019 14:53

No no no.

Date: September 30, 2019 15:06

tomcasagranda
I just want to know when S&M2 is coming out as an album.
I wasn't very impressed with the clips I saw...the song selection was really lacking.

It baffles me that they didn't use older songs like Orion or Fade To Black, but rather used a bunch of newer songs that simply don't work with an orchestra.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 1, 2019 10:54

i hope james beats his demons.

Date: October 1, 2019 11:39

crholmstrom

I hope not. They feed his creativity (same goes for Keef... or Francis Bacon).
I hope he'll not be destroyed by his demons. An artist without demons is what? An entertainer, like Celine Dion.
Urgh...

And it's quite interesting to compare Keef to Het. In the most "turbulent" times of his life (the 70's) Keef coud say sth like : "the only moments of sanity you'll find in a day is the two hours you spend onstage". Translation : nothing matters more than the day gig. The rest (the partying the drugs) is secondary.
Apparently Het reversed the priorities...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-01 11:44 by dcba.

Date: October 1, 2019 15:37

dcba
crholmstrom

I hope not. They feed his creativity (same goes for Keef... or Francis Bacon).
I hope he'll not be destroyed by his demons. An artist without demons is what? An entertainer, like Celine Dion.
Urgh...

And it's quite interesting to compare Keef to Het. In the most "turbulent" times of his life (the 70's) Keef coud say sth like : "the only moments of sanity you'll find in a day is the two hours you spend onstage". Translation : nothing matters more than the day gig. The rest (the partying the drugs) is secondary.
Apparently Het reversed the priorities...
It's ridiculous to take Het's quote at face value, as if he didn't care about his live performances. He was simply being brutally honest, and it's probably a mindset that more musicians than we think share.

I've seen Metallica live several times and never felt like they were phoning it in. If at times in his past, Hetfield was more focused on extracurricular road activities rather than the show, as long as it didn't show onstage, it's really none of my concern.

Date: October 1, 2019 15:46

Well I saw them in 92 96 and 99 and they always delivered.
Then I listened to tons of Met-club B tapes of their 2000's shows and frankly I felt sorry for the poor souls who they were seeing a band at its prime. Lars particularly was lacking to say it politely. If at that time Het had quit alcohol Lars was obviously more interested in his Basquiat collection than in practicing the drums at home.

But hey old-timers will tell you they already sucking in the 90's and their golden era was the 80's. grinning smiley
Hyper-exclusive fans might claim they started to suck right after Cliff died, so they had 3 good years and the rest was a slow decline. grinning smiley grinning smiley

Date: October 1, 2019 15:53

dcba
Well I saw them in 92 96 and 99 and they always delivered.
Then I listened to tons of Met-club B tapes of their 2000's shows and frankly I felt sorry for the poor souls who they were seeing a band at its prime. Lars particularly was lacking to say it politely. If at that time Het had quit alcohol Lars was obviously more interested in his Basquiat collection than in practicing the drums at home.

But hey old-timers will tell you they already sucking in the 90's and their golden era was the 80's. grinning smiley
Hyper-exclusive fans might claim they started to suck right after Cliff died, so they had 3 good years and the rest was a slow decline. grinning smiley grinning smiley
Oh, I know all about their history...I've heard the complaints about them selling out and going soft back to the mid '90s.

Their weak spots live have always been Kirk and Lars, who can be unforgivably sloppy. Hetfield's rhythm playing is always dead-on, so that's why his comment about the partying being more important than the show doesn't bother me. If that's really how he felt, it didn't show in HIS live performances.

O/T Thrash
Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: July 22, 2020 16:20

I'm sure Metallica have been discussed here before, couldn't locate a thread though. Many fans of Thrash here?

Metallica Mondays have been great on YouTube during last 3 months, every Monday a gig put up. Sloane Castle being one of them.

Thrash went through a revival last 10 years of so with great albums coming from a lot of the old guard - Kreator, Testament Anthrax Megadeth, Overkill..etc.

Loved Megadeths for the most part 2004-2016, some of Mustaine's best stuff on albums like Endgame, The System Has Failed, and Dystopia.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-22 16:20 by IrelandCalling4.

Re: OT: Metallica talks
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 22, 2020 22:03

S&M2 is out at the end of August. Seriously looking forward to this.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 27, 2021 21:26

"In 2008, he [James Hetfield] made comments which were
perceived as endorsing the use of his music at Guantánamo
Bay to torture prisoners.British band Chumbawamba
subsequently released a song called "Torturing James Hetfield"
as a direct response." wikipedia

"From ABCDEFG album."Torturing James Hetfield" is a response to
the use of Metallica's music as a torture device against Iraqi
prisoners at the Guantanamo Bay detention camp."

Lyrics:

Well, we got James Hetfield
And we tied him up tight
Naked and cold
We kept the strip lights bright
Said what have you got for us James
He said nothing at all
So we dragged some speakers
In from the hall

James James James
Just give us names names names
James James James

Well, we tried every tune in the songbook
To loosen his tongue
We played Simply Red nonstop
He just swayed along
Then we had an idea
A new plan of attack
Thought that even a deaf man
Would bend and crack

James James James
James James James

Now look what we've brought for you James
Your favorite disc
It's Chumbawamba
Their greatest hits (There's only one)
Turned up the volume
You should've heard him sing (Oh how he sings)
He cried like a baby
And told us everything (it was Lars!)

James James James
James James James

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 27, 2021 21:50

crholmstrom

sadly, you never beat them.

once addicted, you are addicted until the day you die. The demon(s) are always there....lurking.

all one can do is accept that and stay sober today.

I wish Het luck. ,but ultimately it's up to him

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 27, 2021 21:55

I took up drinking ta drown my sorrows
..... but the bastards learnt to swim ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 27, 2021 22:04

Hairball
stone66
dcba

smiling smiley

Admittedly, my mind has gone grocery shopping at times whenever I've seen David Gilmour live (excluding The Wall, 1980).
One of my favorite guitarists and vocalists on some of my favorite Floyd albums (up until The Wall), and an occasional decent solo tune here or there, but seeing him live on his own can be a chore in itself.

Felt that the last time I saw Clapton.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: May 28, 2021 01:21

Felt that the last time I heard a Chumbawamba tune.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: July 9, 2021 02:35

Posted by: rcfoxy ()
Date: July 9, 2021 05:07

Hope you're sitting down...but I've always thought Metallica should do a very heavy and fast cover version of....Ruby Tuesday!

Cheers
Richard - In Another Land

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 9, 2021 09:11

Yeah .. okay ....

Always thought Iggy should do
a punked up version of Streets Of Love ....

lurv ta hear Ig sing that awfully bad line ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 9, 2021 13:39

Metallica Talks= yawn for me big time

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1523
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home