Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Nancy & Lee
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: September 29, 2019 16:37

They`re great! Here`s a song from their 1971/72 album Again/Did You Ever. On purpose it`s not one of their greatest, just to show the high level of musicianship. It doesn`t have a refrain, but so didn`t The Stones cover of Commit A Crime either:

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Nancy & Lee
Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 30, 2019 08:24

Yeah they did some great stuff together. some velvet Morning is my fav I’d day.

Date: September 30, 2019 14:00

Yeah, I really think Some Velvet Morning is a song that would make people stop and listen. However, you either "click" or you don`t. What`s wrong with those people? Maybe some people don`t like music in the first place.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 30, 2019 14:06

Great duets act; a bit like Johnny Cash and June Carter, but without the awfulness of the Johnny Cash & His Woman album.

Date: September 30, 2019 14:28

Loved their collaborations. This makes me think of a summer spent in Hamburg with a girl when we only had this album by them that featured "Down from Dover".
I now must find that song.

Okay, that was easy. God bless youtube. [youtu.be]

btw - Bobby Gillespie and Primal did a great version of "Some Velvet Morning" with Kate Moss, I believe. On one of their lesser known albums. Maybe "Evil Heat".

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 30, 2019 14:29

I actually saw them perform live together in 1995 at the Limelight nightclub in New York. It was just so wonderfully campy. When Lee intoned, "Some velvet morning when I'm straight, I'm gonna open up your gate," I shouted "Yes, Sir!" Even Nancy bust out laughing. The next time he sang that line, he looked at me like, "I dare you." I kept my mouth shut that time. She sang "Boots," of course, but the highlight of the set was "You Only Live Twice," with the keyboards replicating John Barry's string arrangement. Pop Culture fabulousness! I was standing right in front and there were moments when Nancy came to the very edge of the stage where I could literally have just leaned over and kissed her thigh-high black leather boots. I might have done it, too, but Frank Jr. was standing on a walkway, above and behind the stage, keeping an eye on things. I wasn't about to end up in the trunk of a car out in the swamplands of New Jersey or something like that. Know what I mean?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-30 14:35 by tatters.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 30, 2019 14:52

Last time Nancy played London - about 15 years ago - she came over to my seat and planted a kiss on my cheek. Swoon. >grinning smiley<

Date: September 30, 2019 14:55

tatters
I actually saw them perform live together in 1995 at the Limelight nightclub in New York. It was just so wonderfully campy. When Lee intoned, "Some velvet morning when I'm straight, I'm gonna open up your gate," I shouted "Yes, Sir!" Even Nancy bust out laughing. The next time he sang that line, he looked at me like, "I dare you." I kept my mouth shut that time. She sang "Boots," of course, but the highlight of the set was "You Only Live Twice," with the keyboards replicating John Barry's string arrangement. Pop Culture fabulousness! I was standing right in front and there were moments when Nancy came to the very edge of the stage where I could literally have just leaned over and kissed her thigh-high black leather boots. I might have done it, too, but Frank Jr. was standing on a walkway, above and behind the stage, keeping an eye on things. I wasn't about to end up in the trunk of a car out in the swamplands of New Jersey or something like that. Know what I mean?

Your bragging rights would never have run out. You would never have to pay for drinks again around here. "I kissed Nancy's walkin boots...". That quite a tale.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 30, 2019 16:02

This song was massive on Los Angeles AM radio in '67, but isn't heard much on oldies stations nowadays:

[www.youtube.com]

Great story about seeing Nancy. "You Only Live Twice" is probably my favorite James Bond theme song.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 30, 2019 18:00

Like one or two of their songs, but consider them Sonny and Cher lite. Re the song Summer Wine, it sounds like it may have been derived from this one, Kisses Sweeter Than Wine.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: AshtrayGirl ()
Date: September 30, 2019 18:02

Palace Revolution 2000
Loved their collaborations. This makes me think of a summer spent in Hamburg with a girl when we only had this album by them that featured "Down from Dover".
I now must find that song.

Okay, that was easy. God bless youtube. [youtu.be]

btw - Bobby Gillespie and Primal did a great version of "Some Velvet Morning" with Kate Moss, I believe. On one of their lesser known albums. Maybe "Evil Heat".

Yes, that's "Evil Heat" and "Dirty Hits" - here you will find an alternative mix of "Some Velvet Morning" (I am a massive fan of Primals, just fyi grinning smiley)

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 30, 2019 18:20

Love their duets. Their version of Jackson isn't bad either.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: September 30, 2019 18:37

My favorite:
[youtu.be]

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: September 30, 2019 22:17

Lee Hazlewood and Nancy are somewhat weak due to Nancy's not-that-great singing voice, but she made it work for her. Lee was a very talented arranger and producer, with some good songwriting.

Date: October 1, 2019 02:39

The orchestration is lush. There`s a cornucopia of feelgood and melody. There is psychedelia, there is country & western, there is blues... Here`s a fave of mine:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 1, 2019 04:14

24FPS
Love their duets. Their version of Jackson isn't bad either.

....look out Jackson town.......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1760
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home