Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT High Storage MP3 players
Date: September 28, 2019 22:46

I'm pretty sure I had asked this question in the past, but I lost the responses. I'm looking for an MP3 player, or two that can carry a large amount of songs around. Apple discontinued the 160GB Ipods some years ago. why I don't know. I thought they were fantastic. I usually had 3 of those filled up.
I'm trying to find something similar. A way to lug around 50,000 tracks. Without having to buy just a bunch of players.
Someone here had told me about a very powerful unit.

Re: OT High Storage MP3 players
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 28, 2019 23:29

My Sony phone has a slot for micro sd cards that hold up to 256GB. There's probably others too. Fiio comes to mind for HD players, they also use SD cards. Should be easy to find something I think. Cheers.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 28, 2019 23:35

Try the Player by FiiO, Astell&Kern or the new Walkmen by Sony. Flash-Memory is cheap nowadays - 3 weeks ago a large Electronics-Chain in Germany offered the SanDisk 400 GB microSD-Card for only € 47. There're also 512 GB microSD-Cards by Samsung (but more expensive).

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: September 28, 2019 23:54

You can buy modified classic iPods on eBay. They will hold up to 1TB. I have 36000 songs on mine. The only drawback is it won’t shuffle that many songs.

Date: September 29, 2019 00:10

donvis

You can buy modified classic iPods on eBay. They will hold up to 1TB.

You can also modify your iPod-Classic by yourself - [www.iFlash.xyz] - (or search for "ipod classic ssd mod"). Due to the limitations of iTunes (or iPod-OS) it'll sync approx. 50,000 songs [but not the whole 1 TB]. Maybe the Rockbox-Firmware is a workaround for that. How to repair the iPod Battery: [www.iFixit.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-29 00:25 by Irix.

Date: September 29, 2019 00:31

Buy a bigger SD-card for your phone, Tony.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 29, 2019 00:45

Newer model samsung phones (and iphones too, i believe) have 512 GB storage - that's what i use!

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: September 29, 2019 01:10

I've been using an 256 Gb iphone 7 for the last 2 years. I've got over 24,000 songs on there and there's still space for photos etc. I can take all of that music on planes and on the road without carrying a separate device.

Posted by: 5stringTele ()
Date: September 29, 2019 07:13

If you want a dedicated MP3 player, you should investigate and consider the modded iPod route. I've done a number of them. I have a 5th generation (sometimes called an iPod Video) that I've upgraded to a 1TB solid-state with a monster battery that has my collection of 300+ Led Zeppelin boots. Another identical modded iPod has my entire CD collection. Both are Rockboxed and loaded with lossless FLACs.

Things have evolved in iPod mods. When I began modding them, I was buying 5th and 6th gen iPods for $10 or $15 each on eBay. Now, an unmodded iPod Classic/Video will cost much more, but memory is much cheaper.

If you are interested in going this route, I'd recommend a 5th gen (iPod Video). It has the highly-regarded Wolfson chip, it's super-easy to open and close, and if you get the 5th gen (not the 5.5), you can use a special formatting program to format the entire SSD in FAT32. That makes a huge difference in transfer times, if you want to copy FLACs from your desktop's HD.

I would recommend Rockbox, since it makes handling large libraries and playlists much easier (and even possible on some iPod models). My only problem with Rockbox is that it's not completely compatible with the iPod interface in my car -- I can play, pause, stop and skip, but I don't get the text track names. You can install Rockbox on an iPod so that it is "dual boot" -- you can switch between Rockbox and the original iPod OS.

Modding iPods is both an art and a science, fun and educational, and may be your cheapest route to portable music player nirvana. You can read more over at headfi, which has a dedicated thread. Maybe skim through the last/most-recent 15-20 pages to find the latest modding instructions, since they've been at it for over 10 years and things have changed.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/official-ipod-video-classic-5g-5-5g-6g-6-5g-7g-ssd-mod-thread.566780/

Date: September 29, 2019 09:06

Thanks a bunch guys.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: September 29, 2019 09:20

1970s man says, "If you were stranded on a desert island and could only have 10 albums to listen to, what would they be?"

2020s man replies, "I have 5000 albums on my phone, and I will die before I manage to listen to every track."

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 29, 2019 17:19

MileHigh
1970s man says, "If you were stranded on a desert island and could only have 10 albums to listen to, what would they be?"

2020s man replies, "I have 5000 albums on my phone, and I will die before I manage to listen to every track."

2000s man says, "If you were stranded on a desert island and could only have 10 CDs to listen to, what would they be?"

Date: September 29, 2019 18:45

treaclefingers

2000s man says, "If you were stranded on a desert island and could only have 10 CDs to listen to, what would they be?"

CDs were 1990s man. 2000s man says: "If you would travel to a desert island and could convert only 10 CDs to MP3, what would they be?"

And 1980s man says: "If you would travel to a desert island and could copy only 10 LPs onto Cassette, what would they be?" winking smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 29, 2019 18:53

This all kind of reminds me of get rid of your vinyl because cd is taking over. Hmm...

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: September 29, 2019 22:59

If you use an iPhone or apple phone there is no Jack for earphones. I have a pair of high end Shure earphones that would be worthless without that jack. That is why the modified iPod is best for me

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: September 29, 2019 23:10

frankotero
This all kind of reminds me of get rid of your vinyl because cd is taking over. Hmm...

Vinyl, the Stones, and the Bone Fone and you are in heaven!

Bone the Stones!

[www.instructables.com]

Posted by: 5stringTele ()
Date: September 30, 2019 01:29

The modded iPod route gives you the ability to carry a music library of many hundreds of CDs in CD quality in your pocket. It's cheap, easily upgraded, can be connected to many car stereo/NAVI systems and Rockbox gives you the option of having that music in lossless format.

The real beauty isn't so much when you make your 10-minute drive to the grocery store, but when you take long road trips or go on vacation. You have complete access to your complete library, and you're not dependent upon a data connection that may be expensive or prone to frequent dropouts.

Posted by: JimmyShelter ()
Date: September 30, 2019 20:39

... and 2019 man says "don't drop your mp3 player on the desert island because you'll never find it again among all that plastic" eye rolling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 1, 2019 16:15

frankotero

Thankful I never fell for that claptrap.

Date: November 11, 2019 23:05

MicroSD-Cards are now also available with 1 TB (currently US-$ 440):

[www.Amazon.com]

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 11, 2019 23:24

The best iPod to upgrade from a practical point of view is the iPod mini. I have a 32GB CF card in there. It's the sturdiest one they built- I've still worn through a couple of them over the years. Right now I don't have a working one but I will return to it. They're as cheap as they come now

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: November 11, 2019 23:27

Also, with a replacement battery put in there while I'm at it, they will last up to forty hours (using actual headphones) That's wildly anachronistic if you think about it.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 12, 2019 16:20

What I want to do is essentially create a large digital database that works in conjunction with a surround sound receiver. I have 1000's of cds, and I want to upload them all to some sort of giant iPod-like device that is connected to the receiver and then be able to hit shuffle on all those songs and never know what might come up from Brahms to Metallica and Matisyahu to Pantera and everything in between!!! I know with today's technology, this must exist somehow. And I would like to have it connected to an iPad or something similar to be able type in any artist and shuffle on that artist's songs only. All sorts of capabilities. I just haven't invested the sort of time needed to figure out if this is capable, due to a lot of life events the last several years, but I feel as if the technology is there nowadays!!!

Date: November 12, 2019 18:35

VoodooLounge13

What I want to do is essentially create a large digital database that works in conjunction with a surround sound receiver.

Have a look at e.g. the FiiO-M11-Player - it has among others two microSD-Card-Slots [e.g. 2x 1TB, max. 4TB], a 5.15" Multitouch-Screen and Line-, USB- & SPDIF-Output.

But ripping 1000's of CDs is an exhausting task ....

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 12, 2019 19:22

2050 human will say: "I need to download another 256TB batch of tunes for my cranial implant... "

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: November 13, 2019 09:30

VoodooLounge13
What I want to do is essentially create a large digital database that works in conjunction with a surround sound receiver. I have 1000's of cds, and I want to upload them all to some sort of giant iPod-like device that is connected to the receiver and then be able to hit shuffle on all those songs and never know what might come up from Brahms to Metallica and Matisyahu to Pantera and everything in between!!! I know with today's technology, this must exist somehow. And I would like to have it connected to an iPad or something similar to be able type in any artist and shuffle on that artist's songs only. All sorts of capabilities. I just haven't invested the sort of time needed to figure out if this is capable, due to a lot of life events the last several years, but I feel as if the technology is there nowadays!!!

It sounds like Spotify....

Date: November 13, 2019 10:34

VoodooLounge13

Use Spotify. The rest of your collection that isn't available on Spotify you upload to the cloud (Dropbox, for instance) and play from there through whichever device you're choosing.

Date: November 13, 2019 14:17

re. the original question, I went back to Ipods. The modded ones of 1TB that you can easily get now. After looking into choices I found that Ipod are still the best; because of storage capacity, but also overall organization, and ease of access.
Any Cloud is obviously the sensible choice, I just resent it so much. Because ultimately it has me providing more info about myself to the Cloud-God, than I get in return.

Date: November 13, 2019 16:38

Palace Revolution 2000
re. the original question, I went back to Ipods. The modded ones of 1TB that you can easily get now. After looking into choices I found that Ipod are still the best; because of storage capacity, but also overall organization, and ease of access.
Any Cloud is obviously the sensible choice, I just resent it so much. Because ultimately it has me providing more info about myself to the Cloud-God, than I get in return.

I don't know.

Is the IPod storage capacity really capable of 4 TB plus 32GB??

That's what the M11 posted above by Irix can hold.

I have always found that organization is best when you organize it yourself.

Using folders.

Music Folder >>> Band Folder >>> Album Folder

Or however you want it organized.

Date: November 13, 2019 17:00

Winning Ugly VXII

Is the IPod storage capacity really capable of 4 TB plus 32GB??

No, it's max. 50,000 Tracks due to iTunes/iPod-OS. Maybe the Rockbox-Firmware can support more Tracks or Terabyte. There's an internal Quad-Adapter for 4 microSD-Cards: [www.iFlash.xyz] - so it's theoretically 4TB.

And some people prefer the Clickwheel & iPod-OS over a Touchscreen & Android ....

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1786
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home