Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith Interview 1969
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 28, 2019 19:04

Found this Keith interview he did for RollingStone. He discusses the new album LET IT BLEED, some of the new songs on it, the upcoming U.S. Tour, and what he thinks of some of his contemporaries. A very good read for the Stones' 50th anniversary of what might be the most important year in their half-century long history...1969

[www.rollingstone.com]

Re: Keith Interview 1969
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 28, 2019 19:43

"But in all the future gigs, we want to keep the audiences as small as possible.
We’d rather play to four shows of 5,000 people each, than one mammoth 50,000 sort of number".

How times have changed.

"It’s not worth doing an old song unless you’re gong to add to it".

Blue and Lonesome comes to mind - decent covers, but not much was really added to those songs at all, unlike Love in Vain and Just My Imagination.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 28, 2019 22:08

Hairball
"But in all the future gigs, we want to keep the audiences as small as possible.
We’d rather play to four shows of 5,000 people each, than one mammoth 50,000 sort of number".

How times have changed.

Well to his defense Keef has always more or less dissed the concept of "stadium rock". His quips like "God might join us one way or another" suggest he doesn't consider "open roof" venues as a good option.

Otoh when he looks at his paycheck at the end of every tour he certainly thanks Charlie and Mick for designing these extravagant "built for stadiums" stages...

"You have to work so goddam hard to make it in America, and it’s very easy to end up being a parody of yourself"
Funny that's about the same thing he wrote in "Life"...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-28 22:14 by dcba.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 28, 2019 22:46

He was idealistic, articulate and confident.
When I first remember reading his various interviews, it interested me that while he appears to be stoned, mumbles and speaks in fragments on most TV interviews, in print he speaks in complete sentences and expressed himself very well.
Looking back from 50 years, that 3-year hiatus from touring looks very strange.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 28, 2019 22:50

About Mick filming.......But he doesn’t agree so I guess that’s cool. grinning smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: September 28, 2019 22:59

wonderboy
He was idealistic, articulate and confident.
When I first remember reading his various interviews, it interested me that while he appears to be stoned, mumbles and speaks in fragments on most TV interviews, in print he speaks in complete sentences and expressed himself very well.

In print....good editing, that's the secret!

Date: September 28, 2019 23:11

Very sour cokehead/egomaniac junky in progress. He definitely did a good musical job though.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: September 29, 2019 00:15

"He’s had his hand blown off, and he had to get his hair cut short."

Two disasters which sound of similar importance.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 29, 2019 02:00

Yeah but Keef ya gotta remember Mick got Brown Sugar out of it all …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: September 29, 2019 03:48

Rockman

Yeah but Keef ya gotta remember Mick got Brown Sugar out of it all …..

According to IMDB the locations used were in/near Braidwood, New South Wales, Australia. (I have actually driven through there once, and bought a great belt there.).

In abstract it would be really neat to go there and play "Brown Sugar" really really loud as a tribute to the location?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 29, 2019 03:54

wonderboy

Three-year hiatus for North America. They toured Continental Europe in 1967, it was really only one year off from touring and that was likely because of work visa problems as well as not having it together enough to pull off a UK tour in 1968. Being targeted (with cause) by the Drugs Squad didn't help matters either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-29 03:56 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 29, 2019 03:56

So this is where the lie about wiping Mick's vocal from "You Got the Silver" began.

Posted by: Anthony80 ()
Date: October 6, 2019 20:04

JordyLicks96
Found this Keith interview he did for RollingStone. He discusses the new album LET IT BLEED, some of the new songs on it, the upcoming U.S. Tour, and what he thinks of some of his contemporaries. A very good read for the Stones' 50th anniversary of what might be the most important year in their half-century long history...1969

[www.rollingstone.com]

Did Keith really speak like that around this time? I'm not convinced there's no artistic licence used by the writer responsible for the interview here.

I'm not as think as you stoned I am.

Date: October 6, 2019 23:08

Anthony80
JordyLicks96

[www.rollingstone.com]

Did Keith really speak like that around this time? I'm not convinced there's no artistic licence used by the writer responsible for the interview here.
\

What is this thought process that Keith didn't know how to speak like a human being? I'm sure bits and pieces were edited but everything here is Keith's own words. You make it sound like he was some kind of uneducated junkie who didn't know how to hold a conversation....eye rolling smiley

Date: October 15, 2019 02:48

JordyLicks96
Anthony80
JordyLicks96

[www.rollingstone.com]

\

What is this thought process that Keith didn't know how to speak like a human being? I'm sure bits and pieces were edited but everything here is Keith's own words. You make it sound like he was some kind of uneducated junkie who didn't know how to hold a conversation....eye rolling smiley

You're putting words in my mouth here Jordy and have definitely misread what I wrote above. I'm just a little surprised Keith would have used some of the words he's quoted as saying in 1969.

It was 50 years ago though and before my time so maybe I shouldn't be.

Date: October 15, 2019 04:17

Keith has dominated shaping our musical delights since years before 1969 and he certainly wouldn't be able to do that if he couldn't 'hold a conversation' a year or so after the likes of You Got The Silver, Sympathy For The Devil and Jumpin'Jack Flash hit home.

Date: October 15, 2019 21:05

Anthony80
JordyLicks96
Anthony80
JordyLicks96

[www.rollingstone.com]

\

You're putting words in my mouth here Jordy and have definitely misread what I wrote above. I'm just a little surprised Keith would have used some of the words he's quoted as saying in 1969.

It was 50 years ago though and before my time so maybe I shouldn't be.

Sorry about that Anthony. I tend to misread a lot of things sometimes, my apologies, I completely understand what you're saying. smileys with beer

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: October 16, 2019 00:15

“It’s always been the Stones’ thing to get up on stage and kick the crap out of everything. We had three years of that before we made it, and we were only just getting it together when we became famous. We still had plenty to do on stage and I think we still have...

Little did he know that 'plenty to do on stage' would last for at least another 50 years!

Date: October 16, 2019 13:09

Hey Jordy,

No problems. Thank you for your honesty. I thought we may be heading for the usual I know better than you slanging match I've seen too often on social media. Keith and his family have inspired me hugely at various low points in my life.

Take care buddy,

Anthony.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 16, 2019 15:56

i love the emphasis he expresses for live performance. Getting something happening on stage, with the audience, with the band, not playing strict note for note versions of album versions of songs.

Stones music is basically folk music with a funky rhythm section and some loud amps. I love it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1689
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home