Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: What do you think has "made" you a Rolling Stones fan?
Posted by: fela ()
Date: November 3, 2019 16:31

[youtu.be]
RIP Marie

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: November 3, 2019 23:40

I love your description of being hit by lightening because that is exactly what it was. Excellent choice of words. And, you're absolutely right when you say The Stones were not just another band. They excited all kinds of outrage at the time. Way beyond the criticism dished out to other bands. They simply did not care about the pettiness and conceits of day to day life at the time. Their attitude, insolence, and couldn't care less demeanour challenged all the morés of early 1960s society. And that society was shaken by it, and feared for its very future. Unless you were there at the time and lived through the fury they unleashed it is almost impossible to appreciate how revolutionary the early Stones were. And the fade out of It's All Over Now seemed, at least to me, to perfectly capture that electrical storm. No, make that a hurricane.

Great days. Great times.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: November 3, 2019 23:42

I love your description of being hit by lightening because that is exactly what it was. Excellent choice of words. And, you're absolutely right when you say The Stones were not just another band. They excited all kinds of outrage at the time. Way beyond the criticism dished out to other bands. They simply did not care about the pettiness and conceits of day to day life at the time. Their attitude, insolence, and couldn't care less demeanour challenged all the morés of early 1960s society. And that society was shaken by it, and feared for its very future. Unless you were there at the time and lived through the fury they unleashed it is almost impossible to appreciate how revolutionary the early Stones were. And the fade out of It's All Over Now seemed, at least to me, to perfectly capture that electrical storm. No, make that a hurricane.

Great days. Great times.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: November 4, 2019 09:58

GerardHennessy

Great days. Great times.

Right Gerard! And: The light-quote is also done very nicely here, some weeks ago.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 27, 2019 11:59

When I was really young, my parents had this cassette titled Rolled Gold that I used to love. I didn't have a clue of who the Rolling Stones were, what they looked like, where did they come from, and when the songs were made. I just loved the music and I loved the cover.

Fast forward to 1981. Start me up was all over the radio but I had no idea who sang it. Remember going to the record store to buy the single.

Imagine my surprise when I realized it was by the same band who did Rolled Gold.

In that exact moment I saw the light!

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 4, 2019 21:39

I love that one, caschimann. "I saw the light". thumbs up
But for many the arrival of the Rolling Stones was the beginning of total darkness confused smiley
Being 15 - 16 years of age, I felt from one amazement into another. What's so dangerous about these five musicians? But it came to a point (with a sad peak in 1967) where I felt that "they" were trying to destroy "my" band. It even started to make me angry. I couldn't understand those fears of so many people. Only three to four years later something similar happened with the "arrival" of computers: the end of the world, everybody jobless confused smileyconfused smileyconfused smiley
Well, the good news is that we're approaching 2020 and the Rolling Stones are still around, live and on computer.
smileys with beer

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: November 4, 2019 23:34

Their Bad Habits.. !

Date: November 5, 2019 15:37

In way yes I agree: Looking at the Ya Ya's cover 9 years old in autumn 1970 I felt some strange things such as bad manner, dangerous habits, etc. - my mind got it, even I was too young to understand.

Date: November 5, 2019 17:01

steffiestones
Their Bad Habits.. !

Yes, but most young musicians in those days (even the Beatles!, remember George and his wife were at Keith's party, but the police waited with their raid action until they had left!) had similar bad habbits, but they were not placed under a magnifying glass by the media. It was all exagerated and I think the total lack of confidence about their own well being among many of the older generation, believing everything that was written, created this bad fibe around the Stones.
Ah, time has proven them wrong.
smileys with beer

Posted by: partnerincrime ()
Date: November 6, 2019 12:07

1967 in Rome, Marianne faithfull was recording a single titled C'è chi spera with an italian singer, Riki Maiocchi, for the upcoming festival di Sanremo. I was just 3 yrs old and a friend of us (a studio technician at italian RCA branch) invited my family to visit the studio(I guess I couldn't care less....). During a break Mick with Marianne showed up at the bar to have a coffee or so what. My mother was asked if she would have liked to have a pic with Mick but she refused "Who's that ugly guy with such awful hair?" even if both Mick and Marianne cheered at me ... Unconsciously this was the reason I became a fan.
ciao
m.

Date: November 11, 2019 10:48

georgie48
steffiestones
Their Bad Habits.. !

Yes, but most young musicians in those days (even the Beatles!, remember George and his wife were at Keith's party, but the police waited with their raid action until they had left!) had similar bad habbits, but they were not placed under a magnifying glass by the media. It was all exagerated and I think the total lack of confidence about their own well being among many of the older generation, believing everything that was written, created this bad fibe around the Stones.
Ah, time has proven them wrong.
smileys with beer

Yes! And nowadays 2019 the bit older people - people between 70 and 80 - take the Stones as their role models in terms of health and fitness.

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: November 11, 2019 18:31

My Stones "Timeline" goes something like.....

I had heard many Stones song over the years but first current "hit" on radio rotation was "Angie"....I was 11 and we had just moved and I listened to it on headphones lying on the mattress on floor. The song really resonated with me, because it was a goodbye and moving on song, and that's where I was in my life.

So to me Angie was life lesson song. As I listened to it I envisioned myself as Angie and also as the narrater (Singer). I was also well aware that this was a deep meaningful song, this was not "Joy to the world" or "Sugar-sugar" and that really intrigued me. I wondered to myself if I could ever produce a great piece of art like Angie...

Fast forward about a year, I was up late on Friday night and I stumbled on "Don Kershner's Rock Concert". It was the Stones playing their new song "It's only Rock n Roll". I remember hearing it while driving down to the Jersey Shore with my family and asking my Dad to make it make it louder...

It was not long after that I purchased my first Stones album "Made in the Shade". I would not say I had buyers remorse but I lost interest in that album quickly. It just did not flow well IMHO.

Then I heard "Jumping Jack Flash" on the radio, which believe it or not I had only heard maybe a few times. So I went to the record store and looked in the Stones file section and all I could find it on was "Hot Rocks". This was a double album, and it had me thinking if I should buy it. I could get a Zepplin and Aerosmith. But I ended up picking it up. The album had a great flow. It had the early material and the later material in order.

It was at this time I decided I was going to be a rock star. So I wrote a letter to Gibson telling them I was a major talent and to send me a guitar and amp. Instead, they sent me a catalog and a hand written letter which I wish I would have kept telling me something like "We are rooting for you!! Follow your dreams!"...But anyway, that catalog they sent me had the coolest photo of Keith with a black "Les Paul".

That photo inspired me to look for more cool stuff. I found that gray book which I always called "The Anthology" but I have read others call it a different name here on IORR. It is the one with the music song book in the back. I picked it up right away. As I walked home with the book it felt like I just struck oil. This book has all the secrets in it!!

So, I finally arrive home with my new book and break out my completely out of tune no name acoustic guitar. The one with the strings about an inch from the fretboard. As I plucked and strummed away it occurred to me, hey maybe I should try to be something a little easier like a brain surgeon or pizza delivery man..

I could go on, but I'm starting to ramble....Anyway, it been an almost 50 year Stones journey thats not over yet...And its one I'm glad I took....cool smiley

Date: November 11, 2019 19:23

MisterO
My Stones "Timeline" goes something like.....

I had heard many Stones song over the years but first current "hit" on radio rotation was "Angie"....I was 11 and we had just moved and I listened to it on headphones lying on the mattress on floor. The song really resonated with me, because it was a goodbye and moving on song, and that's where I was in my life.

So to me Angie was life lesson song. As I listened to it I envisioned myself as Angie and also as the narrater (Singer). I was also well aware that this was a deep meaningful song, this was not "Joy to the world" or "Sugar-sugar" and that really intrigued me. I wondered to myself if I could ever produce a great piece of art like Angie...

Fast forward about a year, I was up late on Friday night and I stumbled on "Don Kershner's Rock Concert". It was the Stones playing their new song "It's only Rock n Roll". I remember hearing it while driving down to the Jersey Shore with my family and asking my Dad to make it make it louder...

It was not long after that I purchased my first Stones album "Made in the Shade". I would not say I had buyers remorse but I lost interest in that album quickly. It just did not flow well IMHO.

Then I heard "Jumping Jack Flash" on the radio, which believe it or not I had only heard maybe a few times. So I went to the record store and looked in the Stones file section and all I could find it on was "Hot Rocks". This was a double album, and it had me thinking if I should buy it. I could get a Zepplin and Aerosmith. But I ended up picking it up. The album had a great flow. It had the early material and the later material in order.

It was at this time I decided I was going to be a rock star. So I wrote a letter to Gibson telling them I was a major talent and to send me a guitar and amp. Instead, they sent me a catalog and a hand written letter which I wish I would have kept telling me something like "We are rooting for you!! Follow your dreams!"...But anyway, that catalog they sent me had the coolest photo of Keith with a black "Les Paul".

That photo inspired me to look for more cool stuff. I found that gray book which I always called "The Anthology" but I have read others call it a different name here on IORR. It is the one with the music song book in the back. I picked it up right away. As I walked home with the book it felt like I just struck oil. This book has all the secrets in it!!

So, I finally arrive home with my new book and break out my completely out of tune no name acoustic guitar. The one with the strings about an inch from the fretboard. As I plucked and strummed away it occurred to me, hey maybe I should try to be something a little easier like a brain surgeon or pizza delivery man..

I could go on, but I'm starting to ramble....Anyway, it been an almost 50 year Stones journey thats not over yet...And its one I'm glad I took....cool smiley

Lovely Story! And just curious: What has become of you if not a musician?

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: November 12, 2019 16:35

Around 1980 I heard Sympathy for the Devil played by a 7th grade basketball teammate at practice. There was very little music in my otherwise happy upbringing. Just not my parents thing. But Sympathy got me hooked on the Stones and on music. Love You Live sealed the deal and made me a Stones fan for life. Doubt that I have gone a day without music since.

I was too young to see the Stones live in 1981 but they finally came around again in 1989. I still remember the goose bumps and excitement guessing that Sympathy was about to be played at Alpine Valley WI with Mick up in the rafters.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 12, 2019 17:18

Hearing Jumpin' Jack Flash when I was 13 years old … changed my life forever !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 12, 2019 23:04

Hearing The Rolling Stones on BBC Light Service on Radio and seeing them play live on TV from July 1963 onwards.
'Come On ' being their first hit seen played on TV.
Live performances on Ready Steady Go, Thank Your Luck Stars , Top of The Pops were all a 'must see' for music fans in the U.K.
Their songs and performances have been going strong ever since those great times back in the 60's.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: November 13, 2019 00:54

caschimann
[qu[/quote]

Lovely Story! And just curious: What has become of you if not a musician?

Thanks for asking Caschimann

I have been a small business owner since the age of 20. I also have 20+ years in industrial construction.

I still believe I have a musical masterpiece in me somewhere just waiting to emerge......smileys with beer

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: November 13, 2019 01:01

I spoke with a friend last night, 65 or so, and she was asking me why I’ve gone to see the stones so many times. Reason being the people you meet along the way, punctuated by a great band playin each 2-3 nights.

That’s kept me a fan.

Date: November 15, 2019 16:15

Paddy
I spoke with a friend last night, 65 or so, and she was asking me why I’ve gone to see the stones so many times. Reason being the people you meet along the way, punctuated by a great band playin each 2-3 nights.

That’s kept me a fan.

That´s so right!

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: November 15, 2019 16:51

I know the exact moment when I became an instant Rolling Stones fan.

It must have been 11 july 1989, until that day the Stones were "just another" legendary band from the past, I only knew the greatest hits.

I know the exact place, I was sitting in the back of our car standing in front of a red traffic-light... and some guy on the dutch radio told about the Rolling Stones announced Steel Wheels tour.

That moment was sooo exciting, I never realised they were still a band that could play live. The time of the previous tour I was only listening to kids-songs.
At that exact moment I became a Stones-freak, bought all records etc and saw every tour in Europe since then.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: November 16, 2019 21:49

Get Yer Ya Yas Out with headphones on at age 13 after moving from booming, fun Chicago to a lame, miserable, unhappy, old place. “I can see that you’re just 13 years old...”

I guess you could say it was an emotional rescue for a 13 year old feeling like a stray cat, even though when that particular album (Emotional Rescue) came out, I did not like it and I was losing interest.

Just nostalgic now. Favorite band and good memories of the music and concerts and things. Love MJ, KR, MT, RW, CW. MT added some really nice music in his short time with them. RW is so lovable, though, and upbeat.

I don’t listen to them now, but I’m always happy when they come up on Pandora at work or on the radio. Nostalgic, for sure, of some happy times.

I always wish they would play deeper cuts at the shows, and that’s frustrating that it’s all for the stupid money, instead of the joy of the variety of their music. It’s lazy and greedy and safe and boring, instead of ambitious and generous and daring and exciting. Just my personal opinion, though. Ronnie’s being ambitious, generous, daring, and exciting right now, though....Good for him!!

Date: November 26, 2019 10:33

Didn't it all start with "Come On"?
So I like to say ... come on, there are far more real Stones fans on this site. Open your heart like those that already did and travel back to those first moments the Rolling Stones entered your life. We all love to read your story!
smileys with beer

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 26, 2019 19:17

i remember in the days leading up to me buying love you live my first stones album in 1987 as a 19 year old i kept wondering how my parents and friends would react to me buying a stones album, i knew they were controversial and not always family friendly, so i would go into record shops, pick up stones albums then put them down again for a few reasons, not being aware of the songs on the album, or some albums covers being a bit naughty, ie some girls, undercover, so i would leave the shop empty handed, this went on for weeks when i picked up love you live and it had jj flash, brown sugar, its only rock and roll which i knew about from the rock and roll years tv programme, so i thought what the hell and bought it, i never told my parents and friends for several months and i was dissapointed with the album but it did grow on me over time.

in the early days i wouldnt say i was proud to be a stones fan, but i bought rolled gold several months later, followed by gimme shelter, undercover, dirtywork, tattoo you, exile, sticky and many others followed the next year, by that time i wouldnt shut up about them, remember my mother telling me they were rubbish, my dad telling me he dosent want that filth in the house, i replied, too late its already in. great days discovering almost their entire great back catologue in a 2 year period,

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1503
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home