Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: What do you think has "made" you a Rolling Stones fan?
Posted by: fuwa ()
Date: October 3, 2019 19:10

The Last Time/Play With Fire 45 single then started attending concerts with birthday concert at day on the green in Oakland. Started new job that lasted 31 years a week before Altamont. Could have went to Altamont but didn’t go.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: October 3, 2019 19:47

My dad. Playing "Time Is On My Side" in our car when I was 6. And he played "Love You Live" a lot. To this day my favorite record. So raw.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 4, 2019 07:23

The people here.smiling smiley

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 5, 2019 10:02

Thanks everybody for sharing your earlier moments of becoming a Rolling Stones fan. It shows once again the power of the Stones' music. It's timeless and touches people of every age!
I'm sure even from today on new Stones fans will be "born" and will be welcome in "the gang"!
smileys with beer

Posted by: legin ()
Date: October 5, 2019 14:07

I read the review of 'Black And Blue' by Barbara Charone in 'Sounds' music paper in spring '76...bought the album...LOVED IT!!!!...Huge fan ever since!!!!thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-05 14:07 by legin.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 5, 2019 14:32

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: October 7, 2019 11:09

shattered
The people here.smiling smiley

Thank You Very Much. So kind. smiling smiley

Posted by: legin ()
Date: October 8, 2019 18:41

'''''Thanks for that!''''LOLwinking smiley

Date: October 25, 2019 00:13

For those who missed the other thread (who would?), this is how Matt Lee, our super collector and great London private exhibition host during the summer of 2018 became a Rolling Stones fan. What would the Stones be without all those great moms and dads?
Cheers Matt! smileys with beer

[metro.co.uk]

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: October 28, 2019 19:06

For me, it was a very early Ed Sullivan Show performance..I even tried to mimic Mick's imitation of James Brown..the foot over foot move....and then the single, " Congratulations" which I played until I wore it out & drove my parents BONKERS! There was something about those opening bars, so very 60's & British...I was hooked! Mick's sensuality was too powerful to look away from, even at 10 years old! I have never been so in love with a band or anything else for that matter with such unwaivering devotion, EVER in my life! The intensity is still there!

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: October 28, 2019 19:47

Jumpin Jack Flash

That's it really. After that I got hooked to another 400 songs they have made during the years

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: October 30, 2019 02:03

My brother Peter

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: October 30, 2019 02:44

My cousin who first played JJF for me when I was 12. After that, it's the music, the attitude, the characters and of course, the fans. There has been nothing like it before nor will there be after. This is it, guys. Enjoy the ride!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 30, 2019 03:21

The ROLLING STONES are more
than just a group -- they are a way of life ………………..

……………………..…………………………….. Andrew Loog Oldham

ROCKMAN

Date: October 30, 2019 11:23

Sometime I get the feeling that I'm becoming a fresh fan even I am an fan since 50 years.
In the context of this thread question its interesting, I am talking here about that one as a fan has different fan-temperatures.
Because the Stones-Beast in me sleeps sometimes.
No listening to Stones for weeks then.
But then suddenly it gets awake.
By being hit by the choir-Opening of YCAGWYW in the middle of a sudden on my car-stereo and going wild behind the steering wheel for long 7:28 min.
And the beast really start to take over as soon there are tour rumors.
And it start to march when there is the announcent.
And it start to rule me over when the tour starts.
And finally at showtime I am the beast.
Not of burden.
But of a wonderful thing!

Posted by: Travman87 ()
Date: October 30, 2019 12:22

What initially made me a Rolling Stones fan was watching them live on TV in 1995. They played Ellis Park stadium in South African in February that year and it was the first Stones show ever in South Africa so it was televised.
My mom was there and it wasepic, epic show it got me hooked from that moment on, listening to the albums, watching music videos all helped me love them more as i love that sound and energy they exuded.
My first show was Murrayfield in 1999 and that cemented my love of the band, a further six live shows since then and I still love the band.
The music is addictive and each band memenber is great in there own unique way.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 30, 2019 13:06

Hearing "Mona (I Need You Baby)" on their first album.
Admittedly, Bo Diddley's version is better, but I didn't know that by then. The Rolling Stones showed me what Rhythm & Blues was all about.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 30, 2019 13:13

…. NO … the Stones Mona kills it …. It's monstrous ……

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: October 30, 2019 13:44

The CBS/Columbia record club deals (8 for a penny) in the mid-'80's. I signed up two or three times and filled out my classic rock CD collection nicely. It was great to come home after high school some days and have a "new" Rolling Stones album waiting for me in the mailbox.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: October 30, 2019 13:51

"Honky Tonk Women" when I was about 8 or 9 years old

it took my quite awhile to understand "blew my nose" properly, though.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: October 30, 2019 13:52

Donnebr
My brother Peter

thumbs up

brothers are the best...mine got me into AC/DC.

RIP, Mike...I miss you.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: October 30, 2019 14:10

Rolled Gold compilation album. 1st heard 1976, aged 9.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 30, 2019 14:35

caschimann
Sometime I get the feeling that I'm becoming a fresh fan even I am an fan since 50 years.
In the context of this thread question its interesting, I am talking here about that one as a fan has different fan-temperatures.
By being hit by the choir-Opening of YCAGWYW in the middle of a sudden on my car-stereo and going wild behind the steering wheel for long 7:28 min.
Not of burden.

Great post!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: October 30, 2019 19:15

Elmo Lewis
caschimann

Not of burden.

Great post!

Thanks!

Posted by: Marmalade ()
Date: October 31, 2019 01:39

The first time I saw "Gimme Shelter"; I was young(ish) and high. So memorable.

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: October 31, 2019 01:58

During the 70s I was at high school and sometimes I would hear Honky Tonk Women playing at our high school radio station early in the morning before classes. I was familiar with a couple of Stones' songs (Satisfaction, Angie...) and although I like it, I wouldn't say I was a big fan. Then, Tattoo You came out and I really got caught by Start Me Up. My girlfriend of the time bought me the cassette for my birthday and I really started to become a fan and wanting to know more about the band and their previous albums. But it's really when I was reading the articles in our local newspaper covering the '81 tour that I really began to really get hooked. I was so amazed at the idea that a rock n' roll band could fill a 80 000-capacity stadium. Finally, the last shot I needed to become a stone cold Stones' fan was when I went to see the movie Let's Spend The Night Together 4 times in the only week it was screened at our local movie theater. I discovered the song Tumbling Dice and it is my all time favorite song since then....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-31 02:02 by daniel t.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: October 31, 2019 02:17

In a word, rebellion.

plexi

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: November 2, 2019 00:37

Hearing Its All Over Now for the first time in 1964. I was 12 years old and had never before heard such swagger in any kind of music. The fade-out in particular is extraordinary, as Keith Richards and Brian Jones engage in a dual guitar workout that oozes insolence, insouciance and impertinence. It is still my favourite ever Stones recording. And that is despite huge competition from several other numbers, especially those laid down in the really great years.

I can remember the day, the time, the place and the circumstances of that moment, and I have been a fan ever since. And always will be.

Date: November 2, 2019 10:59

GerardHennessy
Hearing Its All Over Now for the first time in 1964. I was 12 years old and had never before heard such swagger in any kind of music. The fade-out in particular is extraordinary, as Keith Richards and Brian Jones engage in a dual guitar workout that oozes insolence, insouciance and impertinence. It is still my favourite ever Stones recording. And that is despite huge competition from several other numbers, especially those laid down in the really great years.

I can remember the day, the time, the place and the circumstances of that moment, and I have been a fan ever since. And always will be.

Great reading your Stones history, GH. Your first encounter with Its All Over Now in that year was for me the undisputable confirmation, after having heard Not Fade Away earlier that year, that those guys were not "just another emerging British band", but a very special breed. And having read all the other stories, tell us that time and age are no issue in any way. It's about how and when you were/are hit by lightning. Great memories!
smileys with beer

Posted by: meck1211 ()
Date: November 2, 2019 11:43

Born in 1952 I became a fan of british rock and pop 63/64. First beatles, then kinks, who and stones.

1969 I was luckily at hyde park concert. That made it clear.

In retrospect: musically it wasn`t the best concert.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1161
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home