Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: What do you think has "made" you a Rolling Stones fan?
Posted by: emilio ()
Date: September 29, 2019 10:58

The first time I saw them at the Palalido in Milan in the second show of October 1, 1970, was the Get Yer ya'ya Tour and that evening they did for the first time Bronw Sugar, I was 18, next year will be fifty years with their music, and I'll be 68, I'll be Stones all my life.
[stonesworldcollection.blogspot.com]

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: September 29, 2019 11:21

That's easy:
1. Start Me Up
2. Tattoo You
3. Live at Olympiastadion Munich, June 10th 1982
4. My parents did HATE them

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-30 23:36 by micawber.

Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: September 29, 2019 11:37

austrian charts 18.7.82 going to a go go smiling smiley

austrian charts 18.7.82

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: September 29, 2019 12:40

I first became a fan when I saw "Let`s spend the night together" with my dad on tv. The attitude was something that caught my attention. Then the music, right in your face rocknroll with great riffs on the guitars. From that moment...….cool smiley

Posted by: itsallovernow ()
Date: September 29, 2019 18:36

The AM radio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-30 16:16 by itsallovernow.

Posted by: ovalvox ()
Date: September 29, 2019 19:56

Two words. Brian Jones. I first became a fan after I read Up and Down With The Rolling Stones by Tony Sanchez. 1979 I believe. Been a fan ever since. Especially of Brian.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 29, 2019 21:40

I was about 16, hadn't heard a lot of music beyond what was played on pop radio stations and my uncle's jukebox (remember there was no classic radio back then). I had the Beatles blue and red greatest hits albums and I had a Beach boys compilation album.
Anyway, happened to be driving around town with three other guys looking or a place to play basketball and they were playing all heavy metal, screeching guitar stuff on the 8track player. And then somebody popped in Hot Rocks and I heard Brown Sugar and Wild Horses.
That was the beginning.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 29, 2019 22:50

ovalvox
Two words. Brian Jones. I first became a fan after I read Up and Down With The Rolling Stones by Tony Sanchez. 1979 I believe. Been a fan ever since. Especially of Brian.

Very important reason for me too. His image and just something about his whole presence up until his death and beyond.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 29, 2019 22:55

Probably what made me a Rolling Stones fan was having the good luck to be born in Twickenham in 1949 - which made me 13 when the band was playing at the Crawdaddy and Eel Pie Island. I wasn't old enough to be allowed to go (and the place had a parent-shocking reputation) but all my class at school was aware of what was happening via various people's older brothers and sisters, so Come On, and all the singles that followed it, were eagerly awaited. Would I have listened if they hadn't been "our" group? Probably not so soon, but they always had an infectious rhythm and a joy in the music that made them stand out.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 29, 2019 23:09

My dad.

Listened to old cassettes of the Stones on car trips as a kid. Heard tales of seeing them live in 1969. He has a bunch of bootlegs on cassette and CD as well. I'm thankful my parents played such good music... Motown, Stones, Berry, Beatles, etc.

When I was a kid, I thought the Beatles made children's music!

Posted by: AJDuffer ()
Date: September 29, 2019 23:19

I was very intrigued as a teenager in the mid-1970's hearing hits such as Satisfaction, Honky Tonk Women, and Paint it Black. Then I was further intrigued after watching them sing Shattered on SNL in 1978 as a 15-year youngster. The final deal for me was seeing them live for the first of 18 concerts in 1981: forever hooked ever since. I now listen to them and/or watch video concerts several hours most days and thoroughly enjoy their unbelievable catalogue of music from so many genres.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: September 30, 2019 10:16

TravelinMan
My dad.

Listened to old cassettes of the Stones on car trips as a kid. Heard tales of seeing them live in 1969. He has a bunch of bootlegs on cassette and CD as well. I'm thankful my parents played such good music... Motown, Stones, Berry, Beatles, etc.

When I was a kid, I thought the Beatles made children's music!

This thread has so lovely insights and so funny(!) moments. Great!

Posted by: justeillusion ()
Date: September 30, 2019 12:26

1973 Doo Doo Doo , and after little queenie live, get year ya ya's out, Aftermath, let it bleed, beggar's banquet, It's only rock n roll, exile on main street, sticky finguers, goats head soup..... and shows!!!

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: September 30, 2019 16:11

A friend of mine gave me a cassette with the early hits back in 1975. I was amazed (and still am) at the variety in their Music and their creativity during the Brian Jones years. Then I heard GYYYO with Mick Taylor. An I bought the first bootlegs in 1976 which was quite an adventure back then.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 30, 2019 20:49

thought many times about this.. why this band has held the interest it has for me and millions, over so many years..

first of all was for me, an innate liking for blues-inspired, driving music. one of the first songs I got really interested in as a 9 year old was "The Last Time".

some songs from other band could have a similar effect, but not many in 1965, and the Stones just kept on doing it.

I can say the same thing now, as a 63 year old man, I still love bluesy, funky, driving music, and the Stones just keep on doing it.

Posted by: ShaTurd ()
Date: September 30, 2019 21:01

High school, Burke Va., 1975...A buddy of mine had a VW bug with an 8-track tape of "Made in the Shade"...I heard "Dance Little Sister", that's all it took!!!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 1, 2019 11:20

When I was young, I was looking for great music and 5 upstanding mentors.

Posted by: poti ()
Date: October 1, 2019 12:15

Being born in 1952, I grew up in one of the poorer quarters of Berlin, in the north of Neukölln. I remember first listening to Satisfaction from a small transistor radio of an older member of our “street gang“. It got me hooked at once. With the Stones coming to the Berlin Waldbühne I urged my Mom to let me go. But what was her answer, something like “Good boys don't go to those rock'n'roll concerts!“ And being only 13 I couldn't afford it either. I had to wait till 1970 and didn't miss a Berlin Stonesconcert ever since.

Posted by: lougio ()
Date: October 1, 2019 14:33

The 1972 tour. That was my first Stones concert. I had seen several of the big name bands of that era but not the Stones. The Stones took my concert experience to a whole new level that I never knew existed. We all know the setlist from the 72 tour was made up of many songs that would over the years become classics that we still crave to hear live today. The cover Bye Bye Johnny also just blew me away. The sound at that show in Pittsburg was also perfect. Until then I had never heard a band play that loud and still have perfect sound.
Long story short, I was hooked and have been doing it ever since. In all the years and all the tours I can honestly say the Stones have never disappointed me. I have been to several shows over the years that I thought could be the last show I see. I ended the last tour at the last show in Miami with the threat of a hurricane bearing down on us. I don’t know if that will be the last show I see or not but I will say if it is I left that show with the exact same feeling I had when I left the Pittsburg show in 1972. I had just seen the best live Rock and Roll band in the world.

Date: October 1, 2019 15:04

I love WorriedAboutYou's answer "Keith's hair".
I was thinking about another thread called 'Book Review' here, and it is pretty amazing how a haircut can have such impact on culture.
I'd say that Brian's hair early on, and then Keith's hair and pirate image impacted rockn roll in a major way. The whole Punk look, was centered around Keith's haircut. And it keeps coming back.
Brian too; Brian, then Cobain.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 1, 2019 16:32

Under My Thumb is the first song of their's that I got into. Then Time Is On My Side. Then I discovered Miss You and there was no turning back.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 1, 2019 18:20

I think...they did. I was introduced early, dancing in sock feet to 12x5 at 4 years old. That must have planted something in me, a sense of what music should sound and feel like. But I was never really ‘into’ music. Fast forward to 1991 when a friend dragged me to see At The Max and there was an immediate click. Still not into the whole music thing, but in 2003 I dragged same friend to the SARS concert in Toronto. That’s when I really got into it. But it’s really down to their massive output and incredible longevity. 12x5 is still a favourite album, but put it beside Blue and Lonesome...what other band could be that good, that productive, that worth seeing, for so long? Let it rock!

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: October 1, 2019 19:48

More, more, more!
Can't get enough of these stories.

Posted by: trevormcmullin ()
Date: October 1, 2019 19:55

When I was 11 The Stones played in Halifax,NS about a 5 hour drive from where I am from, I couldn't of cared less... didn't understand the hype. A couple of years later my best friend was absolutely obsessed with them which used to annoy the hell out of me because I still didn't understand what the big deal about them was. As he was drifting out of his Stones obsession and into Bob Dylan I started to finally dig some of their songs, especially stuff from Exile and Sticky Fingers, somewhere between then and now I have become the biggest Rolling Stones fan out of all of my friends who are all musical and really big fans, I am now the annoying one but I credit him for showing me all of the stuff that I would later love. Even though I was only 11 when they played close to me, I'm still kicking my ass for not appreciating them at that time and missing that concert. Thanks for turning me on to the greatest band in the world Cody!

(It's Only Rock n' Roll, But I Like It)

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: October 1, 2019 20:50

I can remember a great deal of "tut-tut"ing from both Mum and Dad when Tumbling Dice was on Top Of The Pops so that puts it 1972 when I was 13/14. Anything my parents disapproved of must be alright! Fortunately next year they agreed to get me GHS for my birthday. And so it begins...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-02 23:45 by exhpart.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: October 1, 2019 22:37

Being up front at a concert. Prior to that, I wasn't nearly as big a fan as I became.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: October 1, 2019 23:29

Time is on my side single.
Then they killed it on Ed Sullivan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-20 06:22 by hopkins.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: October 2, 2019 16:12

at about 11 or 12 (circa 1978) all my friends were starting to have "favorite bands," so i figured i should have one too. I decided to pick the Rolling Stones. I recalled a commercial on tv a lot back then (maybe a little earlier) for a Stones greatest hits album and their songs sounded pretty good (was Hot Rocks advertised on TV in the early 70s?).

Funny Story, not long after i heard a couple of kids arguing about their favorite bands...one of then claimed it was the Stones and the other one said "i bet you cant even name them all!" He couldn't. I realized I'd better memorize their names myself before someone called me out! So when i got home, grabbed my recently purchased copy of Some Girls and luckily they were all on there the back of the cover. I made sure I knew them all!

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: October 3, 2019 11:52

SomeTorontoGirl
I think...they did. I was introduced early, dancing in sock feet to 12x5 at 4 years old. That must have planted something in me, a sense of what music should sound and feel like. But I was never really ‘into’ music. Fast forward to 1991 when a friend dragged me to see At The Max and there was an immediate click. Still not into the whole music thing, but in 2003 I dragged same friend to the SARS concert in Toronto. That’s when I really got into it. But it’s really down to their massive output and incredible longevity. 12x5 is still a favourite album, but put it beside Blue and Lonesome...what other band could be that good, that productive, that worth seeing, for so long? Let it rock!

A great tale Annie, and I had to quote this as 12X5 was one of THE early highlights for me.

I discovered the band as my Mam would play great music in the kitchen and regale us with tales of the 60s greats. Reading the rock/metal magazines at the time and so many mentions of this band that the at-the-time rockers would praise as influences. A long history and a huge catalogue piqued my interest.

'Let's Spend the Night Together' Christmas 1992 on Channel 4, thought it was the coolest thing I'd seen. 'Flashpoint' was my first purchase in 1993 simply as that was the one Stones album our local HMV had that day. 'Ruby Tuesday' stood out, as well as the fast-paced full-on rock sound of the warhorses on Side 2. Then came the big one, 'Sticky Fingers' and 'Steel Wheels' - cassettes a friend gave me. It was 'Fingers' that turned me into a fan - after one listen I knew these guys had something special. 'Let it Bleed' came next; listening to that over and over while reading Victor Bockris' Keef bio (pre internet it was very difficult to find a decent history and even list of albums by the band). 'Beggars Banquet', 'Black and Blue', 'Some Girls'...

12X5, along with GHS, Love You Live, on vinyl, just weeks after the 'Sticky Fingers' revelation, and by gum, blasting 'Empty Heart' and '2120 South Michigan Avenue'! I still rate that album highly, a vibrant, soulful journey into rhythm'n'blues. It was just so much better and a new world to the rock I had been listening to. From there Dylan, Bowie, The Who..etc..etc

But the Stones have remained, and 26 years later I am as thrilled by their music as ever.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 3, 2019 15:32

Mam taught you well, young Irish lad! Rock on!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1274
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home