Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: What do you think has "made" you a Rolling Stones fan?
Date: September 27, 2019 12:55

DandelionPowderman
My mum.

Lucky You. In my younger days the Stones were a no go erea. smoking smiley

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: September 27, 2019 13:29

The music. Then the visuals of live performances. And the musical achievements from the beginnings up to now.
Rockandroll,
Mops

smiling smileyRe: What do you think has "made" you a Rolling Stones fan?
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 27, 2019 13:52

Listening to Dad's radio in the car as a kid and hearing Satisfaction , 19th Nervous Breakdown , The Last Time , LSTNT. Then growing up and in high school and "getting" the Stones ! Like an Epiphany

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 27, 2019 13:56

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-28 11:38 by z.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 27, 2019 14:32

Keith's cool outlaw image of the mid-70's ..... and , of course, all the great songs and shows.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 27, 2019 14:41

For me there was a hole left by The Beatles that needed to be filled. I started listening to the Stones at 17 years old. My Uncle introduced me to the Beatles when I was 4. I don't like comparing the two because I love them both. Their styles are different but it's all great Rock and Roll.

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: September 27, 2019 14:58

on my 10th Birthday,in 1968,my Sister gave the lp,got live if you want it,I was hooked from then on.

Date: September 27, 2019 15:04

In the beginning it was all about the image and look for me.
I was 5 and my dad gave me "Have you seen your mother baby" single for some reason. Now I loved the song, but more than that I loved the front cover photo of them.
I have never, ever looked back. From that day on for 50 years I have been a Stones fan through and through. Immediately started collecting.
And at times it was hard. During Punk in NYC, at least the Stones had SG and "Miss You" going for them. But in the 80's it was hard staying true to the cause; actually to any guitar rock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-27 17:27 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: September 27, 2019 15:22

Rolled Gold

Tattoo You

The Stones´look in 1981/82

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: September 27, 2019 20:33

I fell in love with Keith when I was 7 years old in 1968 and my mama brought home an album where he was sitting on a wall with long boots on and it was love at first sight.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: September 27, 2019 20:43

The combination of the music and the personalities. Musically, the first cassette tapes were "Still Life" and "Steel Wheels", then I saw them for the first time in the fall of 1989. Those three things (mainly the show) were the beginning of it all. Got "Hot Rocks 1964-1971" for Christmas that year, and the rest is.......

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-01 23:31 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 27, 2019 21:53

Meise
I was 10 years old when my father played some best-of album. Paint It Black has been stuck in my brain since that moment. I was so hooked by the melody/riff, I needed to listen to it again several days later but didn't know the song's name. So, I listened to the complete album. Again and again and again and again and again ... That was the ignition point making me a Stones fan. For ever.

I was around the same age 8-10 when I heard PIB. Dad played me the 45. Long long while on the flip. Of course I played the single at 33 rpm which made it even better. And then I dove into his Let it bleed album. I remember how dad turned up the volume and sang to Monkey Man just to annoy the neighbour. He had no recollection of that incident when i asked about it.

Sorry about spelling, have to change settings on my phone or use computer

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: September 27, 2019 22:30

umakmehrd
Me too... a buddy gave me a cassette tape of ya ya's the hairs on my back stood up!! It got me hooked... and i'm still hooked !!!!

24FPS
Get Yer Ya Yas Out. I was blown away.

Same for me.
Before that I didn't like their "sound". Ya Ya's was a revelation.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: September 27, 2019 22:55

First of all I was drawn in by their music, my Dad's old singles with GOOMC and SATISFACTION plus the incredible B Sides, long after that age 17 Rolled Gold blew my mind and not long after that Tattoo You and Still Life pulled me in further. After that I got an album every Saturday with my wages until I had everything there was to have including vidioes etc.

What kept me drawn to the band was Keith as a person, a performer and ultimately as a survivor and as far as I'm concerned the last living legend on God's earth.

Date: September 27, 2019 23:34

Knew some of there mainstream songs but started getting more interested with SMU and the video for it, of course the 80's were challenging for them. The main reason for being a big fan came with buying more albums and their diversity of music. Of course we start with the blues, then rock, pop rock, country, disco, punk, psychedelic, metal, jazz, and so on.

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: September 28, 2019 00:17

After my grandfather died I used to visit and sometimes stay over at my grandmother's house when I was a teenager. My uncle had a copy of Big Hits High Tide and Green Grass. It was autumn 1982 and after reading an article in the newspaper about the Stones recent tour and how huge it was I decided to give it a listen.

I was instantly hooked. I played that album over and over and luckily enough the sister of a friend at school had Hot Rocks and he taped that on the old C90 cassettes for me. I then started buying Stones albums as fast as I could afford. One of the first albums I bought was a double of Got Live If You Want It and Ya Ya's. Like others have said, it blew my mind to pieces. They just had a rhythm that no other band could touch. It was raw, dark but also funky. Early 80s music was absolute garbage (synth pop of Duran Duran etc did my @#$%& head in) Instead I started listening to and buying lots of other 60s and 70s music (kinks, Who, Dylan etc) I honestly don't know how many 100s of times I listened to Midnight Rambler and Sympathy on Ya'Ya's. It still sounds great and really reminds me of that time. I also spent hours in the library looking for books and reading whatever I could. Many times I would have read about an album quite some time before I managed to get a copy of it.

Looking back what took me months to do (get all the albums and read loads of stuff) a new fan could do in a few days now. Even though I love the internet and the accessibility of music and information nowadays, there was something incredibly exciting about those days. Finding that my local record shop had just got a copy of say EOMS or GHS etc in and rushing home to listen for the first time. This band has brought me so much joy, I could never express it properly or thank them enough. I reckon we all must have some sort of Stones fan gene!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-28 00:22 by redkev.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 28, 2019 00:29

Nice one redkev. Very descriptive, I think a lot of us can identify with what you've said. Cheers!

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: September 28, 2019 00:41

Hearing "Honky Tonk Women" on a jukebox inside of a pool/arcade hall in 1971
I knew right then that I had to take guitar lessons and became a huge Stones fan.

48 years later, I can play every one of their tunes note for note including ALL
Mick Taylor leads and solos.

Thank you Keith and Mick Taylor for your inspiration.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: September 28, 2019 03:50

"Stray Cat Blues" heard on a friend's cheapo stereo system circa 1969. The introduction with very briefly a woman's voice, the deep suggestive singing, and of course the guitar riff. It felt like the music was coming from someplace deep in the earth.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 28, 2019 03:59

Pietro
"Stray Cat Blues" heard on a friend's cheapo stereo system circa 1969. The introduction with very briefly a woman's voice, the deep suggestive singing, and of course the guitar riff. It felt like the music was coming from someplace deep in the earth.

Weirdly enough, Mick said he 'nicked it' off the Velvet Underground .............

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: September 28, 2019 04:43

Dad had all the albums up to 1968, then i took over in the 80's and went back and got the rest and everything since.

Dad used to say, "It was Brian's band and when he left i stopped listening" which isn't exactly true he loves Gimme Shelter, Start Me Up and to this day he comments about the singles.

I remember him sneering at "Harlem Shuffle", "It's a shit song and it's a cover".. Heck I liked it

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: September 28, 2019 06:30

This is a great thread!!
Listening to the intro and band announcement on Ya Ya‘s on my taperecorder when I was 9, while watching the super tiny album fotos on that small MC-cover-version seeing Mick and Keith and the band for the first time in my life I was already addicted before the first note of JJ Flash was even played.
Then they rolled on and I rolled in.
Forever.

Posted by: Ruediger ()
Date: September 28, 2019 11:32

A friend of mine who was an ardent worshiper of the Beatles gave me the single "I wanna be your man" on my 16th birthday in 1963 with the words "This is a song which Lennon-McCartney have composed. Here it is played by an obscure other band."
The cover of the single showed on red background the cut out heads of the Stones, looking not very attractive...
Anyway, this was the beginning and now, at 71, I am still a fan. Enough said.
Rüdiger

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: September 28, 2019 11:44

redkev
I reckon we all must have some sort of Stones fan gene!

Yeah!

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 28, 2019 12:02

Ruediger
A friend of mine who was an ardent worshiper of the Beatles gave me the single "I wanna be your man" on my 16th birthday in 1963 with the words "This is a song which Lennon-McCartney have composed. Here it is played by an obscure other band."
The cover of the single showed on red background the cut out heads of the Stones, looking not very attractive...
Rüdiger

Wow, Ruediger! Knowing the history from a Rolling Stones fan being my senior, great! So with your 72nd birthday coming up within a couple of months .... have a great birthday with lots of "Stones presents" (and music of course winking smiley )

smileys with beer

Posted by: Ruediger ()
Date: September 28, 2019 12:46

georgie48
Ruediger
Rüdiger

Wow, Ruediger! Knowing the history from a Rolling Stones fan being my senior, great! So with your 72nd birthday coming up within a couple of months .... have a great birthday with lots of "Stones presents" (and music of course winking smiley )

smileys with beer

Thank you very much, Georgie!
(Does "48" mean the year of your birth? If so, you seem to be hard on my heels...)

Since I am incapable of inserting the picture of the cover I have added a link to it.

[www.google.de]

Cheers! Rüdiger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-28 12:48 by Ruediger.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: September 28, 2019 13:37

Keith's hair.

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: September 28, 2019 16:34

Listening to pirate radio stations in England, early 60's

Watching them live on English TV programme 'Ready Steady Go!' 1963 - 1966

My older brother bought 'Aftermath' which I listened to endlessly

Going to my first Stones concert in Rochester, England 1965 (ticket price 10/-, for a front row seat!)

Old habits die hard..........

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: September 28, 2019 18:38

For me, that is a very difficult question to answer. The Stones allowed me an escape from abusive parents that didn't want us...my sister and I, or any children for that matter.

In my late childhood early adolescence their music spoke that same language that I understood. I could put on the headphones and see and understand a different world. Thus JJF being a composition that bleats loudly out to the world what a segment of The Stones fan base really can relate to feeling wise. Their story touches us from an era where some of us speak the same language. The language of the song is one -- comprised of multiple ---you know?

Of course that morphed into many other reasons later in life, especially live -- they were telling us something in their music. The attitude of the live performance story matches something in our feelings that we as fans can relate to in some way. "I was raised by a toothless bearded hag..."

It's not that scary ---honesty I mean, It's alright now. Those thought distortions are well under control ----- cool smiley

Posted by: MidnightGambler ()
Date: September 28, 2019 19:47

It started in summer 71 or 72, I was 11 or 12, spending the holiday at a mountain camp and I got really bored.

In the common room, there was an old turntable with few horrible 45 (7 inches) of french singers like Claude François, Dalida or Mireille Matthieu (really horrible) and there was also this record, totally different than the others, with a wonderful picture, and a magnificent music, it was Jumpin' Jack Flash.

That's the way it started for me.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1780
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home