Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
What do you think has "made" you a Rolling Stones fan?
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 27, 2019 00:23

Over the many years I have read thousands of comments on this site (and others) of Rolling Stones fans (or maybe not really such fans) on the music of this incredible band. Threads where individual songs are discussed have given me very interesting insides on how a song feels for others, but also often made me wonder and left me amazed, leaving me with the question "are these real fans?, but who am I to judge?
For me my first ever Rolling Stones song was "Not Fade Away" and it "tought" me that this is a band who knows how music should work. A subtle balance between a good selection of musical instruments and the singers voice in such a way that your ears have no choice but to focus on it and absorb it with utmost pleasure.
Certainly not easy to be able to continue doing that for well over five decades. Of course nobody is perfect, so there is the odd "slip of the pen", but for me they are a subliem gift from the heavens and the Universe and it's a great honor to be a Rolling Stones fan.

Re: What do you think has "made" you a Rolling Stones fan?
Posted by: 5strings ()
Date: September 27, 2019 00:35

My First ep was a christmas gift "around and around " i like it so much but the First one
That make me a fan or make me love the Rolling Stones was "got live if you want it "EP in 1966 i was 9 years old and when i hear everybody needs somebody live , it was awesome and really kick ass !!
I got the ep and think Stones Will be my band ad i never change it !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-27 00:46 by 5strings.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 27, 2019 00:56

Appearance on Ed Sullivan Show or Satisfaction Can't remember which happened first

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 27, 2019 01:30

Tattoo You and the tour that followed after it.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 27, 2019 01:32

was interested in how they looked, mainly from the a tv prpgramme called rock,n roll years and footage from the 60,s.then the promotional video to jj flash got me interested, then i started on the music and i was hooked.

what makes me a fan are many things, loved the attitude, swagger of the band members in the early days, the catchy rocky tunes with perfectly weighted vocals, and as time passed i became ever more impressed by the shear versatility of the band which in turn has inspired me to get into songs previously i held back on, stuff like fingerprint file, winter, we love you, connection, moonlight mile etc.

also what impressed me was for well over 30 years they always pushed the boat out, always introducing new stuff to the setlist, always doing new albums, completely changing setlist over short periods of time like what they done from 1967 to 1969 and from 1978 to 1981, when easily they could have stuck with the same bunch of songs from the mid 60,s.

now what impresses me is that despite conservative setlists which often get discussed they do and have reinvented old classics, never performed before songs from the past or rarely performed songs from the past like shes a rainbow, she was hot, i wanna be your man, emotional rescue etc, which also adds to the stones depth.

theres so much to like about them and despite the criticisms of which some is deserved, they really have delivered so much for so long, they are untouchable.

The bands onstage and its one of those nights.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 27, 2019 01:33

My earliest memory of the Stones - c.'66 my aunt used to babysit my brother, sister, and I and sing Satisfaction. Also hearing Get Off My Cloud, probably on the car radio.

Second Stones memory - my older brother buying Sticky Fingers on a trip down to our local record store.

Third Stones memory - looking at the creepy album cover of my older brothers Goat's Head Soup album, with Angie being my favorite tune from it at the time.

Fourth Stones memory - hearing the tune It's Only Rock'N'Roll blasting on the radio during the summer of '74.

Fifth and probably most important memory - buying Made in the Shade when it was released in '75 when I was 13.
All of the tunes were familiar to me, but it was my first Stones album and I played it to death (still have it).

I don't recall Black and Blue being released, but I clearly remember Some Girls. My older brother and I had a full blown listening party with a case of beer and some tasty spliffs.
We listened to it over an over throughout the night, and it turned out to be the album of the summer '77.

Was excited for the release of Emotional Rescue, but was ultimately somewhat disappointed with most of it- especially when hearing the title track as the first single.

In 1981 I bought Tattoo You, and prepped to see my first Stones shows at the L.A. Coliseum by digging deep into everything the Stones had released prior - it was Stones sensory overload for a few months.

Add that all together, and after all these years - come hell or high water, I'm still a Stones fan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-27 01:36 by Hairball.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 27, 2019 01:51

Get Yer Ya Yas Out. I was blown away.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 27, 2019 02:03

...getting pushed in a pram past Dick Taylor's house somewhere around '62 when I heard Little Queenie....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 27, 2019 02:06

Heartbreaker...............

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 27, 2019 02:16

Ed Sullivan Show, first appearance, "Time is On My Side." Loved the song and the attitude.

My parents were speechless, a very rare occasion.

(I expand this story in my book on RS fans. Some of you have it. Some of you have read it, including Bjornulf. Some of you are in it: [www.amazon.com])

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 27, 2019 02:34

Shattered! on SNL

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: September 27, 2019 02:48

The first time I heard Get Yer Ya Yas Out!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 27, 2019 02:50

Sullivan show as well..
Whole family gathered around the old black and white.

Being the youngest of five, my older siblings excitement and enthusiasm made it more memorable than the moon landing where we all did similar a few years later.

Was hooked from then on, but credit my older brother with keeping me a fan.
Would show me every album, explaining lyrics etc even though much of it was beyond my comprehension.. Remember distinctly when I was finally able to come up with my own money and buy my first Stones album hot off the presses, before even he had a copy. Black and Blue remains one of my favorites partly because of that cool smiley

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: September 27, 2019 03:04

Me too... a buddy gave me a cassette tape of ya ya's the hairs on my back stood up!! It got me hooked... and i'm still hooked !!!!

24FPS
Get Yer Ya Yas Out. I was blown away.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 27, 2019 03:37

I can remember the exact moment in my life when I became a rock music fan. My father had taken me and my brothers to Toronto for the CNE, an event we attended yearly. On the way home and just off the thruway in Buffalo, "Honky Tonk Women" was playing on the radio. I didn't know the name of the song but my step-brother did as well as the next song "Whole Lotta Love" by Zeppelin. I was completely horrified and embarrassed that he knew those songs and bands and I didn't. From that very moment on I was totally committed to rock music and the Stones. I vowed to never be uninformed and out of touch on music. It was a coming of age for me and step from pop music to the real stuff.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: September 27, 2019 03:47

First, the music. Second, seeing them live for the first time. That closed the sale.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: September 27, 2019 03:50

angee
Ed Sullivan Show, first appearance, "Time is On My Side." Loved the song and the attitude.

My parents were speechless, a very rare occasion.

(I expand this story in my book on RS fans. Some of you have it. Some of you have read it, including Bjornulf. Some of you are in it: [www.amazon.com])

Just bought your book on Kindle. Look forward to reading it this weekend!

Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: September 27, 2019 06:05

Three things over a two year period made me into a Stones fan:
1. My first Stones concert: Nov 7, 1969
2. Listening to "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!" and "Sticky Fingers" in 1970 and 1971
3. The influence of Nick, a travel companion, as we hitch-hiked North America from Aug 1971 to Oct 1971

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-27 07:15 by Chacho.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 27, 2019 06:48

I don’t “remember”

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: September 27, 2019 07:25

A friend insisted I see Ladies and Gentlemen. Just one look baby.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 27, 2019 09:56

Drugs, the music, the sinister undercurrent, the hypnotic groove of paint it black when I was 12.

Stones fans are born not made grinning smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 27, 2019 11:01

Just can't resist the noise they make...

….never could .

[But my very first memory of them was at about the age of five in, when I saw them on TOTP or a similar show doing, I think, GOMC …
I wasn't at that age very interested in the music ...but I thought Mick was the best clown I'd seen for ages !

I don't have any other memories of seeing things on TV at that age...so something must have made it stick.]

Date: September 27, 2019 11:17

My mum.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 27, 2019 11:23

- Hobo Blues Band (played a lot of Stones covers in the late 70's Budapest clubs)

- 1976 Paris (Les Abattoirs) show on TV (accidentally)

- Love You Live (on cassette)

- Rolled Gold (my first LP)

than started to collect LPs in the Budapest black market (I was 16)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-27 11:39 by 1962.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 27, 2019 11:38

Tell me (you’re comin back), The last time, Hitch Hike and Can I get a witness at the age of eight or something. Later on it was Brian Jones and also some bad ass picture of Keith singing Happy from 1978. I looked at that pic while listening to LYL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-27 11:43 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: September 27, 2019 11:41

Not this one but probably same occasion.

Date: September 27, 2019 11:43

This. And another one from 1975.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 27, 2019 11:59

When I was really young, my parents had this cassette titled Rolled Gold that I used to love. I didn't have a clue of who the Rolling Stones were, what they looked like, where did they come from, and when the songs were made. I just loved the music and I loved the cover.

Fast forward to 1981. Start me up was all over the radio but I had no idea who sang it. Remember going to the record store to buy the single.

Imagine my surprise when I realized it was by the same band who did Rolled Gold.

In that exact moment I saw the light!

C

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: September 27, 2019 12:46

I was 10 years old when my father played some best-of album. Paint It Black has been stuck in my brain since that moment. I was so hooked by the melody/riff, I needed to listen to it again several days later but didn't know the song's name. So, I listened to the complete album. Again and again and again and again and again ... That was the ignition point making me a Stones fan. For ever.

Date: September 27, 2019 12:53

The first time I heard YaYa's. I was about 10 or 11 years at the time.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1924
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home