Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
RIP Ginger Baker (1939 - 2019)
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 25, 2019 23:11

Posted a few minutes ago on his facebook page, which is run by his daughter, I believe..

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-10-06 18:25 by bv.

Re: OT: Ginger Baker In Hospital - Critically Ill
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 25, 2019 23:35

Darn, well... just don't know what to say. More and more we're seeing this kind of news. Wish it wasn't so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-25 23:37 by frankotero.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 25, 2019 23:48

Announcement. Ginger is critically ill in hospital. Please keep him in your prayers. Thank you everyone

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 26, 2019 00:28

Best wishes to Ginger!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 26, 2019 00:48

Not surprising, but a shame nonetheless. An odd duck for sure, but a brilliant musician.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 26, 2019 00:55

Sending all positive vibes to Ginger, my all-time favourite drummer.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 26, 2019 01:01

Not the most lovable guy, but wishing him well nonetheless--a helluva drummer.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 26, 2019 02:07

Ginger, Rootin' for you
Get well

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: September 26, 2019 03:06

I suppose this qualifies as a "pre-RIP" thread.

Lately I've been wondering when such an announcement would pop up, given how he hasn't enjoyed good health for quite a long time.

I was just about to post in another thread (that by now pointless "new album" thread) the following: "Can you believe that Ginger Baker has lived to be 80?"

His son Kofi in a recent interview has also marveled on his father's longevity, given his history of substance abuse, saying that his mother, Ginger's first wife, is no longer alive and was sedentary and ate red meat, whereas Ginger exercised and ate fish.

Would be an appropriate time to revisit that recent doc, Beware Mr. Baker. His comments on Mick Jagger are fairly hilarious.

Ironic how a musician so outspoken with his disdain for rock music will be remembered mainly as a rock drummer.

Funny how a musician of his caliber wouldn't know the difference between song writing and music arranging, given how he has long claimed that he should be given songwriting credit for contributing to the musical structure and tempo of such songs as Sunshine Of Your Love.

Regarding his son Kofi, in a very recent interview he claims his dad still refuses contact and won't have anything to do with him, despite that Kofi himself has attempted to reach out. Ginger should make amends before it's too late. Such a shame to leave the world with such bitterness remaining....

Found the link to that interview twice referenced above:

How will you feel when he dies?
"Again, I don’t really know him. It’s not going to be like I’ve lost someone that I know. He’s not really been in my life. He’s been in my life very small amounts. I don’t know how I’ll feel, but I can’t see me being devastated like a parent that’s been here for me. He’s not in my life. He’s not in my thoughts. I don’t think about him. The only time I think about him is when people bring him up. I really only think about the musical side of it. I don’t think about the personality side. The only time I’ve spent with my dad is forcing him to give me lessons. It’s really only the drumming thing I really got from him. I think I’ve got everything from [him] I need drumming-wise. Technically, I’ve probably passed him because drumming has gone a long way since my dad’s era. I don’t know. Who knows? I doubt I’ll be that sad. It’s kind of like he’s already dead. He’s disowned me so many times in my life. It’s like he’s been dead to me for a long time anyway."

...do you hope to make peace with your dad before he dies?
"I’m trying. It’s hard right now because he’s lot … I don’t know if he’s all there right now, so it’s really hard. I’m trying. I’m sending the emails and trying to say, “We should talk and at least be kind of civil at this point.” I have a feeling that it’s too late. I can only try. That’s all I can do. I can keep the best part of him alive, which is the drumming and the music. That’s what he gave to the human race. I’m going to keep the best positive side of my dad alive. That’s the best I can do."

Full interview: [www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 26, 2019 04:50

Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: September 26, 2019 05:06

Prayers to he and his family.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: September 26, 2019 05:44

Good read in Rs magazine. Heroin user.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 26, 2019 08:53

Get well GB, surprised too that he made that far after seeing that doc from a few years ago about his life...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 26, 2019 13:24

Get well soon

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 26, 2019 13:42

Ginger Baker and Buddy Rich were the two greatest drummers I ever saw in person. And I saw them on the same weekend! Ginger on Friday and Buddy on Saturday, at My Father's Place, a little club on the north shore of Long Island, back in December of 1983. I'd rate it a draw, though I'd hasten to add that Buddy was 66 years old at the time, while Ginger was only 44 and could still really play. And with Buddy playing big band swing and Ginger playing blues and Cream covers, I was more predisposed towards liking Ginger's show to begin with. I remember during Buddy's set, someone mentioned that Ginger had been there the night before, and Buddy said "Ginger's good." That's all he said about Ginger, but considering he once said Ringo was "merely adequate, nothing more" having Buddy say that you're "good" was the highest praise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-26 13:57 by tatters.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: September 26, 2019 14:50

Good old surly Ginger Baker. I was never totally blown away by his Cream or Afrobeat stuff but when I checked into his jazz playing and even some of the old Graham Bond Organization, I finally got what the fuss was all about. Sophisticated and swinging with a suprisingly light touch- a master of the instrument. Like this....

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 26, 2019 15:11

tatters
Ginger Baker and Buddy Rich were the two greatest drummers I ever saw in person. And I saw them on the same weekend! Ginger on Friday and Buddy on Saturday, at My Father's Place, a little club on the north shore of Long Island, back in December of 1983. I'd rate it a draw, though I'd hasten to add that Buddy was 66 years old at the time, while Ginger was only 44 and could still really play. And with Buddy playing big band swing and Ginger playing blues and Cream covers, I was more predisposed towards liking Ginger's show to begin with. I remember during Buddy's set, someone mentioned that Ginger had been there the night before, and Buddy said "Ginger's good." That's all he said about Ginger, but considering he once said Ringo was "merely adequate, nothing more" having Buddy say that you're "good" was the highest praise.
Wow, Ginger and Buddy in one weekend! Talk about lucky.

Date: September 26, 2019 15:23

stone66
I suppose this qualifies as a "pre-RIP" thread.

Lately I've been wondering when such an announcement would pop up, given how he hasn't enjoyed good health for quite a long time.

I was just about to post in another thread (that by now pointless "new album" thread) the following: "Can you believe that Ginger Baker has lived to be 80?"

His son Kofi in a recent interview has also marveled on his father's longevity, given his history of substance abuse, saying that his mother, Ginger's first wife, is no longer alive and was sedentary and ate red meat, whereas Ginger exercised and ate fish.

Would be an appropriate time to revisit that recent doc, Beware Mr. Baker. His comments on Mick Jagger are fairly hilarious.

Ironic how a musician so outspoken with his disdain for rock music will be remembered mainly as a rock drummer.

Funny how a musician of his caliber wouldn't know the difference between song writing and music arranging, given how he has long claimed that he should be given songwriting credit for contributing to the musical structure and tempo of such songs as Sunshine Of Your Love.

Regarding his son Kofi, in a very recent interview he claims his dad still refuses contact and won't have anything to do with him, despite that Kofi himself has attempted to reach out. Ginger should make amends before it's too late. Such a shame to leave the world with such bitterness remaining....

Found the link to that interview twice referenced above:

How will you feel when he dies?
"Again, I don’t really know him. It’s not going to be like I’ve lost someone that I know. He’s not really been in my life. He’s been in my life very small amounts. I don’t know how I’ll feel, but I can’t see me being devastated like a parent that’s been here for me. He’s not in my life. He’s not in my thoughts. I don’t think about him. The only time I think about him is when people bring him up. I really only think about the musical side of it. I don’t think about the personality side. The only time I’ve spent with my dad is forcing him to give me lessons. It’s really only the drumming thing I really got from him. I think I’ve got everything from [him] I need drumming-wise. Technically, I’ve probably passed him because drumming has gone a long way since my dad’s era. I don’t know. Who knows? I doubt I’ll be that sad. It’s kind of like he’s already dead. He’s disowned me so many times in my life. It’s like he’s been dead to me for a long time anyway."

...do you hope to make peace with your dad before he dies?
"I’m trying. It’s hard right now because he’s lot … I don’t know if he’s all there right now, so it’s really hard. I’m trying. I’m sending the emails and trying to say, “We should talk and at least be kind of civil at this point.” I have a feeling that it’s too late. I can only try. That’s all I can do. I can keep the best part of him alive, which is the drumming and the music. That’s what he gave to the human race. I’m going to keep the best positive side of my dad alive. That’s the best I can do."

Full interview: [www.rollingstone.com]
He just seems like he's always been a thoroughly grotesque human being. I have a hard time mustering any sympathy for him...he made to 80 at any rate. That's more than some people far better than he get to.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: September 26, 2019 16:47

tatters

What I once read is that Buddy Rich attended a Ginger Baker show and after watching Ginger had said that he consideres Ginger a joke.
I have no further proof for that. Anybody here in the know?

Date: September 26, 2019 17:19

Phil Good
tatters

What I once read is that Buddy Rich attended a Ginger Baker show and after watching Ginger had said that he consideres Ginger a joke.
I have no further proof for that. Anybody here in the know?
Did Buddy ever PRAISE any other drummers, especially anyone outside of jazz? That's the real question.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: September 26, 2019 17:53

keefriff99
Did Buddy ever PRAISE any other drummers, especially anyone outside of jazz? That's the real question.
Pentti "Whitey" Glan was a family friend (and my favourite drummer), he played with Lou Reed, Alice Cooper and a shit ton of others, and he once said that Buddy Rich complimented his drumming on one of his Tonight Show appearances.

Date: September 26, 2019 17:56

roryfaninva
Good old surly Ginger Baker. I was never totally blown away by his Cream or Afrobeat stuff but when I checked into his jazz playing and even some of the old Graham Bond Organization, I finally got what the fuss was all about. Sophisticated and swinging with a suprisingly light touch- a master of the instrument. Like this....

[www.youtube.com]
Wow, I LOVE this.

I'm looking at his discography...which albums of his are in this style? I assume the ones from the early-to-mid '90s with Haden and Frisell are in this style of jazz.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: September 26, 2019 18:12

Boognish
keefriff99
Pentti "Whitey" Glan was a family friend (and my favourite drummer), he played with Lou Reed, Alice Cooper and a shit ton of others, and he once said that Buddy Rich complimented his drumming on one of his Tonight Show appearances.

I LOVE Pennti Glan! (specificaaly his work w/ Reed and Cooper) Is he still alive? If he is, give him my best if you ever run into him again.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: September 26, 2019 18:30

Bungo
I LOVE Pennti Glan! (specificaaly his work w/ Reed and Cooper) Is he still alive? If he is, give him my best if you ever run into him again.
He passed away in 2017, sadly. I miss him! He was the coolest and funniest guy I've ever known. Nice to see other people admire him! He was an amazing drummer.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: September 26, 2019 19:49

He's actually smiling and obviously happy playing with these guys. I believe the "Coward of the County" CD is in this progressive jazz style and was very well recieved at the time.
Ginger lacked humility and tact- among many other traits- but he's not far wrong when he says you cant compare him to Moon and Bonham. They were great rock players and absolutely essential pillars of their hugely successful bands- look what happened when they died- but he's coming from a jazzer's perspective and they simply dont have those types of chops. He's very fond of Charlie Watts (who does have jazz chops) so he cant be all bad.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-26 19:57 by roryfaninva.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: September 26, 2019 20:19

tatters

Wow, you lucked out seeing them both on the same weekend!
I have one of Buddy Rich's cd's in my car. I can't remember the title of the album but there is magnificent jazz flute on it. But it got me thinking about Buddy's style vs. rock drumming. Technically, I believe Buddy was the greatest drummer ever. He was an absolute perfectionist. He demanded perfection of himself and, of course, demanded it from his musicians. His rants to his band members are legendary. He was one of a kind. I know he had a general disdain for rock drummers. Frankly, I don't think most of them were in the same league as Rich. But, we are talking about two different styles of music.

I think Ginger stands alone atop the rock drummer list, just my opinion. He was just a monster with Cream. We who lived back then and were into rock hadn't heard such a powerful rock drummer up to that point, at least I hadn't. So, it is kind of sad to hear of his failing health. A lot of people don't get to 80, so he was able to live a relatively long life. The sad part is his bitterness and estrangement from his family. Who knows what the reasons may be. But when we get near the end, the most important thing, IMHO, is family and the love of your children, grandchildren, spouse, etc.

I wish him well. God knows how much his incredible musicianship enriched the lives of so many.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 26, 2019 21:44

Amazing drummer, best wishes to his family

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 27, 2019 07:32

Total @#$%& but incredible drummer. He should long be dead by now. I'll be sad when and if it happens, but it shouldn't really be surprising.

Beware Mr. Baker is a great documentary. I actually love how much he doesn't give a @#$%& and is just a total dick to people.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 27, 2019 11:01

Beast
Sending all positive vibes to Ginger, my all-time favourite drummer.

What? Where does that leave Charlie?

plexi

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: September 27, 2019 15:26

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1776
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home