Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: UCR on the Stones albums: Last great, last good, first bad
Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: September 25, 2019 05:07

Well here's a thread that really gets to the heart of what it means to be not just a Rolling Stones fan, but also a music fan in general: "great", "good", and "bad" are all qualifier terms that rely solely on opinion, like what's your favorite food, who's the best-looking actor/actress, etc.; the subjective nature of music appreciation which produces a thread where virtually no two answers are alike.

Last great: Tattoo You, the Sticky Fingers for those turning 15 in 1981. Can't believe that some are still referring to TY as a "compilation"; it's because of Internet information-related hindsight that you know these are outtakes from album sessions of previous years. At the time, it was accepted as a new album, because it was not generally known that these were previously recorded; regardless, all the songs on TY were previously unreleased, therefore not a comp. By the way, for what it's worth, the poster "HMS" seems to have been "un-banned".

Last good: Bridges to Babylon. Better than expected, especially since no one expected much from a band whose members where entering their mid-50s, which at the time was still uncharted territory; not TY quality, but even the lesser numbers like Low Down are memorable, with some deep nuggets like Gunface, and with, after all this time, several numbers that you'd still treasure hearing done live, like Saint Of Me and Out Of Control. Oh, and I'd wager Thief In The Night would go down a storm in the Keith solo set.

First bad: Black and Blue. It's the first album where as a listener I had to "cherry pick" -- that is, skip over some songs (Hot Stuff) to get to the ones I really liked (Hand Of Fate). Overall, both the musical performances and the production suffer from a certain plodding sluggishness that suggests both general fatigue and a lack of direction. Half the album I could take or leave.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: September 25, 2019 16:25

Last Great: UNDERCOVER
Last Good: EMOTIONAL RESCUE
First Bad: DIRTY WORK

Y'all know I'm right! grinning smiley

Date: September 25, 2019 16:46

That's not really a good question. Because I consider "Blue & Lonesome" great; a great piece of work.
But when one asks "the last great album" it kind of implies "The last in a series of great ones". So "B&L" can't really be my answer because it comes after such a long drought.

IMO "Undercover" closes down a long run of great Stones albums. We didn't realize how precious UC was at the time of its release, because it was the last of strong original BAND albums.

Bad albums - (Let's set aside the unnecessary late era Live albums). I only find "Dirty Work" and "Voodoo Lounge", "Bigger Bang" bad Stones albums; for different reasons.

the only album I'd call 'good'...hmmm, maybe "Steel Wheels". It's not a bad album. Especially when you consider the alternate outtake version.

So,
Last Great - Undercover
Last ( and first) Good - Steel Wheels
First Bad - Dirty Work

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-28 15:37 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 25, 2019 17:21

Last great: Tattoo You
Last good: Emotional Rescue
First bad: Between the Buttons

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 25, 2019 17:28

Last great: UNDERCOVER
Last good: A BIGGER BANG / BLUE AND LONESOME
First weak: TATTOO YOU

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 25, 2019 17:31

Some Girls
Blue & Lonesome
Dirty Work

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: September 25, 2019 18:35

Tattoo You
Bridges to Babylon
Between the Buttons

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-25 18:36 by stanlove.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 25, 2019 19:13

last great. Some Girls
last good. Blue & Lonesome
first bad. Dirty Work (and only bad ...w/ Aftermath as 1st 'average' album)

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 25, 2019 19:15

I must be a strange dinosour ...
I don't listen to albums, I listen to songs. I started growing up as a Rolling Stones fan in early 1964 and the first I heard about the Rolling Stones was ... a song (Not Fade Away). After that one other songs followed. More and more they appeared on albums so I learned to listen to albums. If my ears were not happy with a song (depending on my mood, etc.) I lifted the needle and went to a next song. To me albums are not more then "buckets" of songs. Technology nowadays allow my to play around with a file that has all albums and songs that didn't appear on albums. Sometimes I allow myself to wonder from what album a song is (of course I know grinning smiley ), but it's the song that counts.
But okay Jordy, for you:

L gr. Blue and Lonesome
L go. A Bigger Bang
F we. Dirty Work (to much input from all kinds of producers)

smileys with beer

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: September 25, 2019 22:33

Last great: Steel wheels
Last good: Bridges to Babylon
First bad (don´t count pre 1968): A Bigger Bang

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 26, 2019 01:04

Stoneage
GasLightStreet
Stoneage
Funny how these writers argues about the same as some of us here. I'm with them on the last great Stones album - Tattoo You. One of them even gives bearing to HMS's theory about TY being a compilation
... (come back HMS!). B & L is a cover album. I wouldn't have that one in the discussion in the first place. It's a side project. Nothing else.

So that means any pre-AFTERMATH album is also a side project.

We'll just put you in the Kook File with HMS.

Did I say that? Of course not. Every Stones album in the beginning had original compositions on them. Understandably they were full of blues covers also.
But to do blues covers in England in 1963 was really to be in the avant-garde. Which it wasn't in 2016. On the contrary. Rather pointless.
I would be more careful with insults were I you, Skippy. Tread gently.

Well, you may get my point - those early albums were mostly covers so... I suppose you could say 99% for the first one, however the math would work on such a thing. THE ROLLING STONES and ENGLAND'S NEWEST HIT MAKERS had one original. NO. 2 had 3, as did OUT OF OUR HEADS.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 26, 2019 01:32

GasLightStreet
Stoneage
GasLightStreet
Stoneage
Funny how these writers argues about the same as some of us here. I'm with them on the last great Stones album - Tattoo You. One of them even gives bearing to HMS's theory about TY being a compilation
... (come back HMS!). B & L is a cover album. I wouldn't have that one in the discussion in the first place. It's a side project. Nothing else.

Did I say that? Of course not. Every Stones album in the beginning had original compositions on them. Understandably they were full of blues covers also.
But to do blues covers in England in 1963 was really to be in the avant-garde. Which it wasn't in 2016. On the contrary. Rather pointless.

Well, you may get my point - those early albums were mostly covers so... I suppose you could say 99% for the first one, however the math would work on such a thing. THE ROLLING STONES and ENGLAND'S NEWEST HIT MAKERS had one original. NO. 2 had 3, as did OUT OF OUR HEADS.

Okay, I hear you. I understand the amount of covers on their first albums though. Firstly, they were a new up and coming band. Secondly, they had a mission to introduce the blues to a white European (and American) audience. They were kind of blues purists in the beginning as Jagger said himself.

Side project may be the wrong word - deviation may suit better. I think the blues covers album was a deviation from their original intent to produce a new album with original recordings. I might be wrong though.
I see now that many here ranks this cover album highly. I'm not one of those though. I find it mostly boring.To each his own, I guess..

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 26, 2019 01:46

i think a lot of early stones covers are boring, some are great to, the early albums both uk and us versions with singles and b-sides and songs later released on compilations are a varied mix of different standards, the early years were hit and miss in my opinion.

but important to the bands progression

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 26, 2019 01:51

heck …. guess ya had ta be there ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 26, 2019 02:10

If I find the urge for blues I'll listen to this. It can't get any better than this: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: September 26, 2019 02:19

Rocky Dijon
I would rather listen to BETWEEN THE BUTTONS than interact with most of the human race.

Beautifully put.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: September 26, 2019 02:28

Last great: Exile on Main St
Last good: It's Only Rock n' Roll
First bad: Black and Blue

I think they have continued to produce good material occasionally up until the present day. I like "Doom and Gloom" quite a bit, and unless I'm mistaken that is their latest original.

But as far as albums go, they haven't released one that I feel like listening to all the way through in a long, long time.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 26, 2019 02:33

If I find the urge for blues I'll listen to this. It can't get any better than this:

Go way back ta 1929 and checkout Hambone Willie Newbern's version...

Then Baby Face Leroy's and Muddy's from 1950 …..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 26, 2019 03:03

Rockman
heck …. guess ya had ta be there ….

thumbs up

Date: September 28, 2019 01:58

Stoneage
GasLightStreet
Stoneage
GasLightStreet
Stoneage

Okay, I hear you. I understand the amount of covers on their first albums though. Firstly, they were a new up and coming band. Secondly, they had a mission to introduce the blues to a white European (and American) audience. They were kind of blues purists in the beginning as Jagger said himself.

Side project may be the wrong word - deviation may suit better. I think the blues covers album was a deviation from their original intent to produce a new album with original recordings. I might be wrong though.
I see now that many here ranks this cover album highly. I'm not one of those though. I find it mostly boring.To each his own, I guess..

I think the context of B&L might have evaded you a little bit. Regardless of you not liking it, it has critically been respected as an important body of work for the Stones. I know that can be taken as a giggle seeing how their LP reviews have been the past, ohhh, well, whatever, but for whatever reason B&L was taken very seriously.

Date: September 28, 2019 02:02

Last great: TATTOO YOU
Last good: UNDERCOVER
First bad: THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST
Worst ever: DIRTY WORK

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: September 29, 2019 11:27

1. Tattoo You
2. Bridges to Babylon
3. Satanic Majesties

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: September 30, 2019 02:05

EXILE
TATTOO U
UNDERCOVER

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home