Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones 69 - Book by Patrick Humphries
Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: September 24, 2019 17:32

anyone know anything about this author--Patrick Humphries? Do we trust him to come up with anything interesting, on a topic we all know everything about already?

[www.amazon.com]

BV is pumping it up in the NEWS section, for sure: The book "Rolling Stones 69", published by Patrick Humphries on Omnibus Press, is a detailed document celebrating fifty year since the year of 1969, an important year in The Rolling Stones history. The book is leaving no stone unturned, no details left out. (emphasis added)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-24 18:09 by bv.

Re: Rolling Stones 69 - Book by Patrick Humphries
Posted by: NathanLaze ()
Date: September 24, 2019 19:21

presumably Sally Wood's relative ?? in that case he's the insider smiling smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 24, 2019 21:43

The book was published this summer, but I did not get time to read it while I was on the tour in the US. Once back home, I finally got to read it, and to report on it.

I don't think you will find any book or reports which goes into the entire year of 1969 in such great details. It is not a book you read in a day or a week, because it is so information and details rich. I am still reading it, quite interesting.

Patrick Humphries - Talks about his book 'Rolling Stones 69' & more - Radio Broadcast 11/08/2019

PATRICK HUMPHRIES

Patrick Humphries is the author of numerous musical biographies including the life stories of Bob Dylan, Nick Drake, Richard Thompson and Bruce Springsteen.

During the last century, Patrick was employed as a ‘hip young gunslinger’ by New Musical Express, and he has been writing about music ever since. Over the years he has contributed to Mojo, The Observer, Evening Standard, Daily Mail, The Times, Heat, Record Collector and many, many more. He also writes and presents documentary programmes for BBC Radio 2 and Radio 4.

Bjornulf

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: September 25, 2019 17:02

thanks BV; sounds like its worth adding to my list!

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: September 26, 2019 20:24

Patrick Humphries talks about his book ;

[youtu.be]

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 28, 2019 01:58

Amazon just sent me an email saying this book might arrive November-December. Maybe.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 28, 2019 04:55

I feel like the subject is exhausted. We just had a book on Altamont. Enough already. Give us recordings, not rehashings.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: September 28, 2019 15:29

another 1 sold...Thanx for the tip...

Date: September 28, 2019 16:01

24FPS
I feel like the subject is exhausted. We just had a book on Altamont.

Why do you waste time posting about something you do not care about?

Bjornulf

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: September 28, 2019 18:02

Update to my earlier post - Turns out there are other sellers on Amazon who carry this but it's not Prime eligible. No big deal as the price is lower so it evens out. Thanks for the tip, bv. Looking forward to it.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 28, 2019 18:39

Seems interesting.

And looking it up on Amazon I found some other books I missed/ forgot about:
Did someone read Rebels with a Cause (early Stones) or Kenny Jones bio?

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 29, 2019 04:58

24FPS
I feel like the subject is exhausted. We just had a book on Altamont. Enough already. Give us recordings, not rehashings.

I like both, but would prolly prefer a slew of live recordings from that tour. But of course, the set list did not much change from show to show. Gee, where have I heard that before??!!

plexi

Date: September 29, 2019 13:43

bv
24FPS

It's called an opinion. Without opinions this would be vapid fan boy drivel. By saying something that goes against the mainstream, it opens up people to express different angles. I feel by expressing my opinion about this particular subject, it shows displeasure with periods that have been played out. Like another book on the 'mysterious' death of Brian Jones. I feel some people waste their time by seeing the Stones over and over, playing the same setlist. We all waste our time in different ways.

Date: September 29, 2019 16:19

24FPS
bv
24FPS

It's called an opinion. Without opinions this would be vapid fan boy drivel. By saying something that goes against the mainstream, it opens up people to express different angles. I feel by expressing my opinion about this particular subject, it shows displeasure with periods that have been played out. Like another book on the 'mysterious' death of Brian Jones. I feel some people waste their time by seeing the Stones over and over, playing the same setlist. We all waste our time in different ways.

I know you, like many other fans, do want to see a new Stones studio album. But that is a copletely different discussion, different thread. I don't see the reason for stating that a book should not have been published. It makes no sense to me. The Stones did not write this book, the book is not related to the new album at all. It is a dead end complaint, it is noise in the discussion about this book, it is off topic.

Negativity is a PEST on internet, some call it opinion, but that is just an excuse for complaining. I DONT'L LIKE THIS. I DON'T LIKE THAT. It is not opinion. It is a pest, nagging, old people complaining about weather, prices of beer, set lists, back pain, anything they can complain about, in any thread and discussion on internet.

My advice is, if you don't care about books, then don't post in book treads. If you don't like ABBA or ELVIS or BEATLES, then don't post it in this thread. If you don't like Miss You, don't post it in this thread. It is off topic, noise, there are other threads for those topics.

Bjornulf

Date: September 30, 2019 01:18

bv
24FPS
bv
24FPS

I know you, like many other fans, do want to see a new Stones studio album. But that is a copletely different discussion, different thread. I don't see the reason for stating that a book should not have been published. It makes no sense to me. The Stones did not write this book, the book is not related to the new album at all. It is a dead end complaint, it is noise in the discussion about this book, it is off topic.

Negativity is a PEST on internet, some call it opinion, but that is just an excuse for complaining. I DONT'L LIKE THIS. I DON'T LIKE THAT. It is not opinion. It is a pest, nagging, old people complaining about weather, prices of beer, set lists, back pain, anything they can complain about, in any thread and discussion on internet.

My advice is, if you don't care about books, then don't post in book treads. If you don't like ABBA or ELVIS or BEATLES, then don't post it in this thread. If you don't like Miss You, don't post it in this thread. It is off topic, noise, there are other threads for those topics.

This IS a post concerning a book about the Stones in 1969. I DID express an opinion about books pertaining to the '69 period of the Stones. It's about as ON TOPIC as you can get. My advice is, don't have posts if you don't want opinions. I love the '69 Stones. Is the point of posts here to only shout huzzah for every minute of the Stones' career? What is the point of approving of everything they do?

Posted by: thegroove ()
Date: October 27, 2019 18:59

I just finished reading this book.Its pretty well-written subjective history of the band with the premise being that 1969 was the turning point or highlight of their career.I recommend it to anyone who enjoys books about the Stones.

Date: October 27, 2019 20:03

24FPS
bv
24FPS
bv
24FPS

This IS a post concerning a book about the Stones in 1969. I DID express an opinion about books pertaining to the '69 period of the Stones. It's about as ON TOPIC as you can get. My advice is, don't have posts if you don't want opinions. I love the '69 Stones. Is the point of posts here to only shout huzzah for every minute of the Stones' career? What is the point of approving of everything they do?

A good idea might be to read the book first. Only THEN you'll have something valid to base your opinion on, right?

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: October 28, 2019 01:48

1969 is my absolute favorite Stones tour. Can't get enough of thst tour in any format so I just got this book last week and look forward to reading it.

Any highlights from those who have read it?

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: October 28, 2019 04:31

I read the book recently and found it to be a good read. I recommend it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1787
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home