Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Rank your Big Four (1968-72) Rolling Stones albums
Posted by: mattstones ()
Date: August 20, 2021 14:58

My all time favourite is Goats Head Soup.

Mine are as follows:

1. Let it Bleed - just for Gimme Shelter alone, my all time favourite song of any artist.

2. Exile on main Street - A masterpiece

3. Sticky Fingers - Sway is a hidden gem (well for non-hardcore Stones fans anyway)

4. Beggars Banquet - Still a fantastic album and could easily represent the peak of most other bands work.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: August 20, 2021 15:01

Sticky Fingers
Goats Head Soup
Get Yer Ya Yas Out
Exile On Main Street

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 20, 2021 18:28

Rockman
.... dont forget UK Aftermath mono ..... CLASSIC

Rockman and his UK Aftermath again.

On page 3 this time. What took you so long?

Posted by: gustavobala ()
Date: August 20, 2021 19:01

let it bleed

exile

get yer ya ya´s out

sticky fingers

beggars banquet

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 20, 2021 19:36

Rockman
.... dont forget UK Aftermath mono ..... CLASSIC

I prefer the American me-self.

Re: Rank your Golden Four (1968-72) Rolling Stones albums
Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: August 20, 2021 19:41

1. Exile on Main Street
2. Sticky Fingers
3. Beggars Banquet
4. Let It Bleed

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 20, 2021 20:33

If you collect the best songs from Flowers and Between the Buttons and call it Between the Flowers , that would be a top 5 album. Here is my top 10/ list: Exile/ Sticky/ Beggars/ Bleed ,Big 4/ Between the Flowers/Tatoo
You/Goat/Bridges/ Voodoo Lounge/ IORR

Date: August 20, 2021 20:44

Taylor1
If you collect the best songs from Flowers and Between the Buttons and call it Between the Flowers , that would be a top 5 album.

This is like channeling the ghost of Dave Dexter, Jr.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 20, 2021 21:28

The 12 great Stones albums without internal ranking:
the German Decca AROUND AND AROUND
THE ROLLING STONES (UK)
AFTERMATH (UK)
BETWEEN THE BUTTONS (UK)
THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST
BEGGARS BANQUET
LET IT BLEED
STICKY FINGERS
EXILE ON MAIN STREET
SOME GIRLS
EMOTIONAL RESCUE
UNDERCOVER

Date: August 20, 2021 22:08

Taylor1
If you collect the best songs from Flowers and Between the Buttons and call it Between the Flowers , that would be a top 5 album. Here is my top 10/ list: Exile/ Sticky/ Beggars/ Bleed ,Big 4/ Between the Flowers/Tatoo

Flowers is a compilation. Why not the best from Hot Rocks and Exile?

Posted by: z ()
Date: August 20, 2021 22:21

Very surprising to see how many here don't rank Exile at number one.
Shocking.

Date: August 20, 2021 22:41

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

Because Flowers and Buttons songs came out in 1967with Brian.Hot Rocks is from 1964-1971, contains songs from Bleed, Beggars and Sticky and has Taylor.If you want to expand it, call the album 1967 and include the best tracks from all 3 albums that year.Plus, how is Flowers a compilation album? sitting on a Frnce, Dandelion are not on anyother album before it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-20 22:46 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 20, 2021 22:42

Awwwww Loog ...
Just checking ta see if you are still alive and biting ...

ROCKMAN

Date: August 20, 2021 22:48

Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

Because Flowers and Buttons songs came out in 1967with Brian.Hot Rocks is from 1964-1971, contains songs from Bleed, Beggars and Sticky and has Taylor.If you want to expand it, call the album 1967 and include the best tracks from all 3 albums that year

Flowers has songs from 1965 to 1967.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 20, 2021 23:20

Taylor1
DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

Because Flowers and Buttons songs came out in 1967with Brian.Hot Rocks is from 1964-1971, contains songs from Bleed, Beggars and Sticky and has Taylor.If you want to expand it, call the album 1967 and include the best tracks from all 3 albums that year.Plus, how is Flowers a compilation album? sitting on a Frnce, Dandelion are not on anyother album before it

How about combine all the albums from 1967 into one double set, called "Between Their Satanically Requested & Buttoned Flowers"?

Get "We Love You" in there as well...and of course leave off "Sing This Song Altogether (see what happens)" just to do everyone a favour. Any room to throw Child of the Moon in there too?

Date: August 20, 2021 23:22

Rockman

Awwwww Loog ...
Just checking ta see if you are still alive and biting ...

Heck, that was no bite, Rockman. Just a friendly bark.

Those of us who prefer the "U.S. variant" of Aftermath have to weigh in from time to time, and agree to disagree with you--if only to keep these Stones debates rolling.

Maybe you saw previously that my thing about the "Big Four" topic is that it puts all the emphasis on the Stones albums. Rock n' roll began as a singles medium, and to overlook what they did on that front is missing the biggest, and most important part of the picture.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: August 20, 2021 23:22

1. Sticky Fingers (best pound for pound)
2. Exile (great volume of songs, although not a long double-album at 67 min.)
3. Let It Bleed (my first favorite Stones album)
4. Beggars Banquet (can't go wrong with this one; love Jigsaw Puzzle)

Date: August 20, 2021 23:28

Okay Loog ...
Yeah I get the album thingo and where ya comin from ....

Stay safe wont ya ....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 20, 2021 23:57

Aftermath was considered a turning point in their career because thesongs were all written by Mick and Keith. But the songs Mick and Keith and the band wrote in 1964 - 1965 like Play with Fire that are spread across several albums like Decembers Children with mostly covers are great. Asingle album with those songs would have been great

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 21, 2021 03:25

I don't buy this "Big Four" stuff because for me, YaYa's belongs in there - that's where some songs really came to life (Midnight Rambler, Live With With Me) or with considerably different and unique arrangements (Sympathy, Love In Vain, Stray Cat Blues, SFM) that make it every bit as as valuable as the studio albums of the time instead of being "just another live album" like nowadays. Oh, and let's not forget Little Queenie!

For me, also GHS always was a "big one", and I'm glad the recent Deluxe Edition & Remix obviously convinced a lot more people and raised its general value in the Stones catalog.

So, it's Big Six in a row for me.

Date: August 22, 2021 05:58

I've often pondered ranking them all - the studio albums. Some of the early 60's are really a crap shoot though, to me anyway.

Voodoo
Goats
Let It Bleed
Tattoo You
Aftermath - US
Exile
Black & Blue
Bridges
Between the Buttons - US
Out of our Heads - US
Some Girls
Beggars
Steel Wheels
Dirty Work
December
Bang
England's Newest
Blue & Lonesome
IORR
ER
Undercover
12x5
Satanic

Think I got them all. And that's based on a combo of personal taste and # of spins.....Incidentally, I, too, love Flowers. It is one of my favorite compilations of theirs.

The live albums would be much, much harder to rank, but for me would start with Stripped. I love the acoustic appeal of it.

Date: August 22, 2021 06:32

Some of the early 60's are really a crap shoot though, to me anyway.

Theee greatest R&B band of all time
butt hay each to there own opinion

ROCKMAN

Date: August 22, 2021 06:36

Rockman

I hear ya Rock. It’s just not stuff I listen to a lot. There are a TON of gems in there for sure, mostly ballads - Blue Turns to Grey, Sitting on a Fence, Backstreet Girl, I Am Waiting (would be another great one to pull out for this COVID tour! LOL), Out of Time, Take It or Leave It.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 22, 2021 08:34

Taylor1
... how is Flowers a compilation album? sitting on a Frnce, Dandelion are not on anyother album before it

Because it is a compilation album.

By definition, an album is a compilation, so therefor any release with 6 or more tracks is an album ie LP ie record, regardless of format.

In FLOWERS' case, it is a US compilation of "a mixture of recent hits, unreleased songs and album tracks having appeared only in the UK."

[timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 22, 2021 14:49

retired_dog
I don't buy this "Big Four" stuff because for me, YaYa's belongs in there - that's where some songs really came to life (Midnight Rambler, Live With With Me) or with considerably different and unique arrangements (Sympathy, Love In Vain, Stray Cat Blues, SFM) that make it every bit as as valuable as the studio albums of the time instead of being "just another live album" like nowadays. Oh, and let's not forget Little Queenie!

For me, also GHS always was a "big one", and I'm glad the recent Deluxe Edition & Remix obviously convinced a lot more people and raised its general value in the Stones catalog.

So, it's Big Six in a row for me.

If they'd had Scarlet, Criss Cross and All The Rage (all of which I think are great) on the original GHS I'd probably be in agreement with you that it could have been ranked in with the others, or close to at least. Just a handful of tracks on the original that could be swapped out and you'd have a bulletproof album.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: August 22, 2021 15:20

Rockman

Yes, of course, but some opinions are... well... just... plain wrong.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: August 22, 2021 18:04

1. Exile - soulful, wide-ranging, love every track on a double album, never tire of it. Greatest album of all time by any band

2. Sticky Fingers - Brown Sugar, Bitch and Angie are fine, but what I love most are the rest of the tracks. Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Sister Morphine, Moonlight Mile, Sway are pure masterpieces

3. Beggars - their first great album start to finish for me. As a catholic schoolboy, a song about the devil with smart lyrics, another leering rock star enticing teen girls....encapsulating images of rage and rebellion that were all around in my town (and most others) at the time. Made me want to know and experience more of what was out there

4. Let It Bleed - I did not get the need for Country Honk, have preferred the live versions of Rambler and Can't Always Get What You Want but Gimme Shelter with Mary Clayton....so of the times, Vietnam War, seeing older brothers of friends coming home in boxes or massively changed after serving in Vietnam. Still transports me back to that time

Date: August 22, 2021 18:44

My 1967 album of songs released that year:Let's Spend the Night Together, Ruby Tuesday, Yesterday's Papers, She Smiled Sweetly, Back Street Girl,Who's Been Sleeping Here, My OBsession, Dandelion, Sitting on A Fence, We Love You , In Another Land, Citadel, 2000 Man, Shes A Rainbow , 2000 Light Years From Home

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: August 22, 2021 19:52

Let it Bleed will always be #1 from the classic 1968-1972 period for me. And #1 album for Stones overall.

As for the rest of 1968-1972, BB, GYYYO, SF and EOMS are tied for second place. I know that sounds like a cop out but it really depends on what mood I’m in, and what I want to listen to at that moment.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 22, 2021 23:35

>Because Flowers and Buttons songs came out in 1967

the topic is 1968-72.

next

jb

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1749
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home