Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT-ish: The Drifters - Under The Boardwalk
Posted by: JimmyShelter ()
Date: September 21, 2019 13:28

I'm compiling a set of original versions of songs that inspired the Stones - songs they covered, jammed, etc. And where there are different versions, I'm trying to include them. As a sort of exploration of the songs that inspired the Stone.

I'm a bit confused by the The Drifters' Under The Boardwalk.
    [*] There is a mono single version with the words "falling in love" in all 3 verses.
    [*] There is a shorter stereo version with "falling in love" in all 3 verses and different phrasing of the words "on a blanket with my baby" (this version is not so common).
    [*] There is a composite stereo version with "making love" in the first 2 verses, the third verse is a stereo mix the same as the mono single with "falling in love" (this version is quite common).

Wikipedia says that the 1964 stereo album called 'Under The Boardwalk' had a stereo version with "making love". And that the composite is made up from this and the mono single (or at least a stereo mix of it).
I cannot find a copy of this album, although I have a later version (supposedly a repressing) which has the composite version.
So I am unsure if a full stereo version with "making love" actually exists or not. I don't see why you would make a composite if you already had a full version.
I suspect that it is the shorter stereo version that was on the original 1964 stereo album, later replaced by the composite. But I would like to confirm this. It doesn't help that the information on CD compilations is unreliable, as is wikipedia.

So my question is:

Does anyone have the genuine 1964 stereo album called 'Under The Boardwalk'?
Can you tell me which version is on it please.

Or alternately, does anyone have a full stereo version with "making love" in all 3 verses.

It might not be that significant, but it is doing my head in eye rolling smiley

Thank you.

Re: OT-ish: The Drifters - Under The Boardwalk
Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: September 22, 2019 20:02

Come on, I thought there were so many vinyl nerds on this forum.

Nobody has the 1964 stereo LP "Under the Boardwalk"?

Please look again in your record shelf.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 22, 2019 22:42

under the boardwalk wasnt a song to inspire me, best ignored in my opinion.

stones covered far better than that.

Posted by: JimmyShelter ()
Date: September 23, 2019 20:27

buttons67
under the boardwalk wasnt a song to inspire me, best ignored in my opinion.

stones covered far better than that.

I quite like it actually.

But I'm trying to make this project as complete as possible anyway, so ... no ignoring, or a few would have gone by now smiling smiley

Posted by: ash ()
Date: September 24, 2019 21:48

I didn't realise till a few minutes ago that The Drifter's Under The Boardwalk was produced by Mike Leander who was Decca A & R working a lot with Marianne Faithfull, Billy Fury and many others. Apparently he was sent / went to the USA specifically to give them the "British sound".

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 24, 2019 21:56

All of the Drifters' versions - as well as John Mellencamp's - are better than the Stones'.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 25, 2019 00:12

Never had a problem with stones version
it was BIG hit down here and poured from every juke-box across da land ….

…. worth checking out the stretched
souleeee Sam & Dave version tooooooo …. produced by Steve Cropper ……

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 25, 2019 00:51

Elmo Lewis
All of the Drifters' versions - as well as John Mellencamp's - are better than the Stones'.

Nothing beats the Drifters versions, and never heard Mellencamp's version, but I take your word for it - the Stones version is unlistenable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-25 00:52 by Hairball.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 25, 2019 20:54

Mellencamp's version is circa the Scarecrow/Lonesome Jubilee era when he had that great band (Lisa Germano, Kenny Aronoff, Larry Crane, etc.)

It was often an encore song too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1690
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home