Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: Keith and Mick chime in on Climate Strike
Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 22, 2019 22:28

Stoneage
Hardly anyone here is a scientist. To debate advanced scientific models unless you're a scholar yourself is useless. Going nowhere.

That is why we leave the research to the professionals at Universities across the globe, and not to individuals who have a bias.

Bjornulf

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: September 22, 2019 22:29

You'd be surprised how astoundingly little is known about meteorology and climate, and the earth's behaviour really.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: September 22, 2019 22:36

One issue with scientists, which has potential to create a bias, is "conflict of interest":

CONFLICT OF INTEREST
"Sometimes values conflict. For example, a particular circumstance might compromise—or appear to compromise—professional judgments. Maybe a researcher has a financial interest in a particular company, which might create a bias in scientific decisions affecting the future of that company (as might be the case if a researcher with stock in a company were paid to determine the usefulness of a new device produced by the company). Or a scientist might receive a manuscript or proposal to review that discusses work similar to but a step ahead of that being done by the reviewer. These are difficult situations that require trade-offs and hard choices, and the scientific community is still debating what is and is not proper when many of these situations arise.

"Virtually all institutions that conduct research now have policies and procedures for managing conflicts of interest. In addition, many editors of scientific journals have established explicit policies regarding conflicts of interest. These policies and procedures are designed to protect the integrity of the scientific process, the missions of the institutions, the investment of stakeholders in institutions (including"

A CONFLICT OF INTEREST

"John, a third-year graduate student, is participating in a department-wide seminar where students, postdocs, and faculty members discuss work in progress. An assistant professor prefaces her comments by saying that the work she is about to discuss is sponsored by both a federal grant and a biotechnology firm for which she consults. In the course of the talk John realizes that he has been working on a technique that could make a major contribution to the work being discussed. But his faculty advisor consults for a different, and competing, biotechnology firm.

1. How should John participate in this seminar?

2. What, if anything, should he say to his advisor-and when?

3. What implications does this case raise for the traditional openness and sharing of data, materials, and findings that have characterized modern science?
"

Source: [www.nap.edu]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 22, 2019 22:36

Sorry, politics...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 22, 2019 22:49

Markdog
GasLightStreet
Markdog
Human caused global warming is pure nonsense. CO2 is vital to photosynthesis of plant growth. More co2 more growth. It’s all about taxes and wealth redistribution. Its why they had to change it to climate change from global warming so that if anything happens it’s your fault. Climate always changes look at history and the recent ice age. It warmed naturally.
If you honestly think if you give enough money to politicians they will fix the climate....Not here to debate but what a scam this is....

You don't understand how CO2 works, yet alone the silly aspect of "more CO2 more growth". Which probably means you don't understand any of it.

It's become too normal for people to be headline readers only (read - LAZY) and not learn anything, not read the whys and hows, which you demonstrate excellently. Fortunately your opinion doesn't matter in respect to reality - it's happening whether you think it's pure nonsense or not. Just as with the people saying 'You fly in airplanes and have trucks bringing your stages around the world' - while it's true that it contributes, jumping on that idiot bandwagon accomplishes nothing. No one can just simply change the way things are done nor will the industries that provide all the fossil fuel burning vehicles simply stop making them. It's beyond a mind set of which is already stuck in a constant finger point of buts and ifw, shoulds and shouldn'ts.

I read both side in depth for 15 years. The headline readers fall for it. Touché.

I'm not a headline reader and... wrong CO2.

A guy came up to me one day and started laughing, said "They're worried about CO2!!???" and started exhaling really hard. "There's your CO2!!". He watches Faux News. They all have that mentality.

Which means they

1. choose to ignore the truth
2. don't care
3. are just fine living in denial
4. don't understand a thing about CO2

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 22, 2019 23:02

Stoneage
Sorry, politics...

no need to apologize. You've done nothing wrong.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 22, 2019 23:03

Jets covered the spread unlike the Dolphins. On TV Saints at HAWKS!

Date: September 22, 2019 23:06

Well, for one thing, there's a debate on whether increase in CO2 in the atmosphere causes warming up or if it is the result of warming up. I should think that that's rather essential.
Of course you won't hear about that on your tv or at your average university.

Date: September 22, 2019 23:08

Thanks, Treaclefingers. Good to hear.

Date: September 22, 2019 23:09

Well ok, back to the Stones then.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 22, 2019 23:11

Stoneage
Thanks, Treaclefingers. Good to hear.

I only hope that this small contribution has made a difference.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 22, 2019 23:13

bv
I would not trust anything published on Breitbart. Is that a serious indepentend news site like WSJ.com and NYTIMES.com? From what I am told it is a single sided propaganda site.

NYTIMES? Independent? Sorry but NYTIMES is of course not independent.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 22, 2019 23:14

SomeGuy
You'd be surprised how astoundingly little is known about meteorology and climate, and the earth's behaviour really.

Exactly.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 22, 2019 23:15

Ah, American right-wingers...

They've rigged the electoral college, rigged the Senate, rigged the filibuster, rigged the Supreme Court, rigged the lower Federal courts, rigged the media via Fox News, and are in the process of rigging Facebook and Twitter...

...and yet they melt down and play the "woe is me" persecution card whenever someone calls them out on their bullshit.

Date: September 22, 2019 23:19

Redhotcarpet
SomeGuy

Exactly.

Enough to know that the ship is sinking.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: September 22, 2019 23:22

It's a bit funny how everyone insisting "everything is fine" sounds scared shitless

Posted by: JimmyShelter ()
Date: September 22, 2019 23:58

keefriff99
Ah, American right-wingers...

They've rigged the electoral college, rigged the Senate, rigged the filibuster, rigged the Supreme Court, rigged the lower Federal courts, rigged the media via Fox News, and are in the process of rigging Facebook and Twitter...

...and yet they melt down and play the "woe is me" persecution card whenever someone calls them out on their bullshit.

the truth ... in a nutshell thumbs up

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 23, 2019 00:28

SomeGuy

As if you know the extent of meteorological knowledge that is to be had and mankind's deficit in that knowledge...............eye rolling smiley

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: September 23, 2019 00:31

Stoneage
I won't take any attacks on Greta Thunberg's looks. I think she is a very brave girl. I admire her. She is only 16. She has Asperger's which she is very open with.
People making fun of her looks is in the lowest moral category in my book. We recently had a high ranking CEO here in Sweden making fun of her.
He lost his job the other day. Rightfully so.
Really? someone lost their job because they made fun of someone??!! er..something seems very wrong there..is is illegal or unlawful now to make fun of someone? Holy Crap!

Date: September 23, 2019 00:33

EddieByword
SomeGuy

As if you know the extent of meteorological knowledge that is to be had and mankind's deficit in that knowledge...............eye rolling smiley

That is what meteorologists tell me. As if you can judge the veracity of that.

Date: September 23, 2019 00:40

SomeGuy
EddieByword
SomeGuy

It is impossible for anyone (including meteorologists) to gauge what they don't know.........so your assertion is inane........except.......as you put it....

"You'd be surprised my children at how little you know"..............

Date: September 23, 2019 00:42

iraq0708
Stoneage
I won't take any attacks on Greta Thunberg's looks. I think she is a very brave girl. I admire her. She is only 16. She has Asperger's which she is very open with.
People making fun of her looks is in the lowest moral category in my book. We recently had a high ranking CEO here in Sweden making fun of her.
Really? someone lost their job because they made fun of someone??!! er..something seems very wrong there..is is illegal or unlawful now to make fun of someone? Holy Crap!
Calm down, cupcake. A CEO is the public face of a multi-million/multi-billion dollar company.

Bullying a teenage girl for her looks shows a terrible lack of judgment for a supposedly-responsible adult with billions of dollars at stake. Removing him/her from that position to eliminate negative publicity makes good financial sense for that company.

Date: September 23, 2019 00:53

EddieByword
SomeGuy
EddieByword
SomeGuy

It is impossible for anyone (including meteorologists) to gauge what they don't know.........so your assertion is inane........except.......as you put it....

That's why your remark was senseless, you cant know things you dont know, so how could anyone know the extent of meteorological knowledge that we lack, that is to be had? If we can't tell how the universe started, are you going to enlighten us with the details that we don't know?

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: September 23, 2019 01:01

keefriff99
iraq0708
Stoneage
Calm down, cupcake. A CEO is the public face of a multi-million/multi-billion dollar company.

Bullying a teenage girl for her looks shows a terrible lack of judgment for a supposedly-responsible adult with billions of dollars at stake. Removing him/her from that position to eliminate negative publicity makes good financial sense for that company.
oh OK Twinkie. Forget about free speech then. I guess it won't happen to an everday person then right?...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-23 01:01 by iraq0708.

Date: September 23, 2019 01:05

iraq0708
keefriff99
iraq0708
Stoneage

oh OK Twinkie. Forget about free speech then. I guess it won't happen to an everday person then right?...
Free speech only relates to the government. The board of directors of a private corporation has the right to fire a person who represents the corporation adversely.

I'm not personally worried because I don't publicly bully teenage girls for their looks. Moral of the story: don't be a shitty human being (something that too many people seem to have an inordinately hard time doing).

Date: September 23, 2019 01:07

SomeGuy
EddieByword
SomeGuy
EddieByword
SomeGuy

That's why your remark was senseless, you cant know things you don't know, so how could anyone know the extent of meteorological knowledge that we lack, that is to be had? If we can't tell how the universe started, are you going to enlighten us with the details that we don't know?

grinning smiley ....that's the exact point I made to you...........confused smiley ....as for meteorologists telling you etc etc............all the self respecting scientists I am familiar with or I have read or heard speak......the most they come out with is "It seems we are always learning more / the more we learn, the more questions we have.......not "You'd be surprised at how little we know"....

As I say, your first comment is inane (in order to know how little we know, you must know how much there is to be known in order to know we only know a little of it, if we know how much there is to know, then, we wouldn't only know a little, common sense applies........as I say, yours was an inane assertion which I doubt came from the brain/mouth of any scientist)........... although your last did make me laugh so thanks for that anyway................ta ta

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-23 01:18 by EddieByword.

Date: September 23, 2019 01:37

EddieByword
SomeGuy
EddieByword
SomeGuy
EddieByword
SomeGuy

That's why your remark was senseless, you cant know things you don't know, so how could anyone know the extent of meteorological knowledge that we lack, that is to be had? If we can't tell how the universe started, are you going to enlighten us with the details that we don't know?

grinning smiley ....that's the exact point I made to you...........confused smiley ....as for meteorologists telling you etc etc............all the self respecting scientists I am familiar with or I have read or heard speak......the most they come out with is "It seems we are always learning more / the more we learn, the more questions we have.......not "You'd be surprised at how little we know"....

As I say, your first comment is inane (in order to know how little we know, you must know how much there is to be known in order to know we only know a little of it, if we know how much there is to know, then, we wouldn't only know a little, common sense applies........as I say, yours was an inane assertion which I doubt came from the brain/mouth of any scientist)........... although your last did make me laugh so thanks for that anyway................ta ta

Inane is the word for your part in this semantic discussion.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-23 01:56 by SomeGuy.

Date: September 23, 2019 01:38

iraq0708
keefriff99
iraq0708
Stoneage

Thanks Keefriff 99. Free speech doesn't give you a right to be reckless. On Facebook he wrote: "She's one step away from Down's Syndrome". Plus some more stupidities. When confronted with it he denied it and claimed someone had hijacked his Facebook account. Which was proven a lie. The board of directors sacked him. They do not want bad PR of course. Has nothing to do with free speech. The rule is rather "if you act stupid you must be prepared to take the consequences of that". That goes for CEO:s and the rest of us too...

Date: September 23, 2019 01:43

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-23 01:53 by SomeGuy.

Date: September 23, 2019 01:55

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-23 02:26 by Stoneage.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1700
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home