Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: Keith and Mick chime in on Climate Strike
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 21, 2019 14:10

we are all complicit and must be accountable for what kind of future we leave for the next generations.....from cigarette butts to candy wrappers and the gas we burn from idle cars....just a little effort goes a long way.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 21, 2019 14:12

Posted by: ash ()
Date: September 21, 2019 14:25

Stoneage
I won't take any attacks on Greta Thunberg's looks. I think she is a very brave girl. I admire her. She is only 16. She has Asperger's which she is very open with.
People making fun of her looks is in the lowest moral category in my book. We recently had a high ranking CEO here in Sweden making fun of her.
He lost his job the other day. Rightfully so.

Agreed.
I was very disappointed when she appeared in front of Congress and (assuming my ears aren't completely shot from listening to loud music) they couldn't even pronounce her surname properly - even after she later introduced herself - they still called her Miss Toonberry.
Anyway, her message was listen to the science and pointed to the IPCC reports.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 21, 2019 14:50

Redhotcarpet
bv
United Nations have detailed info on the climate changes issue:

Climate Change

I would advice anyone to study this info in great detail. Fake news and wishful thinking is not the best fundament in understanding the future problems related to the climate changes.

Eh sorry but you really should be more critical of the UN. No offense.

If you do not trust the UN then I understand you have a problem.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 21, 2019 14:54

Nevermind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-21 14:55 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: September 21, 2019 16:10

Human caused global warming is pure nonsense. CO2 is vital to photosynthesis of plant growth. More co2 more growth. It’s all about taxes and wealth redistribution. Its why they had to change it to climate change from global warming so that if anything happens it’s your fault. Climate always changes look at history and the recent ice age. It warmed naturally.
If you honestly think if you give enough money to politicians they will fix the climate....Not here to debate but what a scam this is....

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 21, 2019 16:19

Even leaving climate crisis aside, if you can't see the enormous mess we are making of our planet with pollution, plastic and all kinds of junk in the rivers and the sea, ancient rainforests being destroyed to fuel our desire for meat, and the general harm to the environment we are causing with our disposable, greedy society, then I don't even know where to begin...

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 21, 2019 16:31

wupperstein
The main problem is the world´s overpopulation, especially in Africa and Asia!

BS. This world could easily feed everyone.

The main problem is the greedy white man. always was, always will be.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 21, 2019 16:49

peoplewitheyes
Even leaving climate crisis aside, if you can't see the enormous mess we are making of our planet with pollution, plastic and all kinds of junk in the rivers and the sea, ancient rainforests being destroyed to fuel our desire for meat, and the general harm to the environment we are causing with our disposable, greedy society, then I don't even know where to begin...

Exactly, the way I look at it is this............I don't have my own, self gathered proof that the climate is warming (OR NOT) .... I just hear what people on both sides say....but this I know just from common sense, if you stick a hose pipe from your exhaust into your car window, you will die. The human race is, as far as I can see, doing exactly that....sticking a massive hosepipe in it's own window.

Dangerous Schmucks or, as I like to call them, Demented Business Pigs - - the people who promote this pathetic, short sighted outcome from their shareholder viewpoint.

Anything that effects the share price - "Not allowed to exist".........That's obvious from the aggressive "anti climate change brigade".......confused smiley

The argument that plants will deal with this is bollocks - especially as the deciduous trees, which are the biggest absorbents of CO2 are being cut down to make way for not so helpful palms etc

It all reminds me of the scene from Aliens where Sigourney Weaver says, "listen, if one of those things gets down here, you can kiss all this, which you think is so important, you can kiss it all goodbye.............

"Listen, if those 300/400 MPH winds start blowing (Up to 200 regularly, already, in the last 20 years), you can kiss all this (Wall St - LSE - Tosho - The Economy as is) - you can kiss it all goodbye.

Years ago (2002) I noticed locally that the temperature would drop from Indian summer temperatures on or abouts 17th October to about 10 degrees and wouldn't go above that again until the beginning of March.
Now, it's very rare if it drops to 10 degrees until after the New Year - that's just in the last 17 years..........

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 21, 2019 17:00

EddieByword

....I don't have my own, self gathered proof that the climate is warming (OR NOT) ....

In Germany we had in 2003, 2018 and 2019 in the Summer temperatures up to 40 °C (104 °F) - I can't remember that it was that hot there in the 1970s or 1980s ....

Date: September 21, 2019 17:05

Irix
EddieByword

....I don't have my own, self gathered proof that the climate is warming (OR NOT) ....

In Germany we had in 2003, 2018 and 2019 in the Summer temperatures up to 40 °C (104 °F) - I can't remember that it was that hot there in the 1970s or 1980s ....

Yes, as I finished off my post I remembered I do have self gathered observations myself, if not proof................

As you say, I'm sure tons of other older people have their experiences of things changing too..........

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: September 21, 2019 17:39

peoplewitheyes

100%

Date: September 21, 2019 17:41

Irix
EddieByword

You know my answer to that. I think that sums up the ”’fix’ the climate” religion. This is why we really should raise the voting age. The west is largerly run by grown ups who instead of using their brain, rule by pleasing the presumed juvenile feelings of the voters.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 21, 2019 17:50

So the answer is to ban plastic bags in grocery stores and cut down even more trees to satisfy a higher demand for paper bags, because retailers just can't rely on those recyclable bags alone.

How about finding a better way to recycle? But the industry answer is that it's too hard. I'll remember that next time a new iPhone is released.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: September 21, 2019 17:51

Redhotcarpet
Irix
EddieByword

You know my answer to that. I think that sums up the ”’fix’ the climate” religion. This is why we really should raise the voting age. The west is largerly run by grown ups who instead of using their brain, rule by pleasing the presumed juvenile feelings of the voters.

You absolutely did not answer to that. Which, as you said, we knew.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-21 17:53 by Nikkei.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 21, 2019 17:59

I grew up in the 70s, which was a truly filthy world. The air, rivers, toxic landfills, Los Angeles had regular smog alerts, people worked with asbestos, many people smoked.
We've made enormous progress since then.
And yet people want to be alarmist. They want to blame others. I suspect some do it because it's a good pretext for expanding the power of the state. Maybe others do it because it gets them off the hook for changing their own behavior. There is also a general air of sanctimony in the air, which is probably a passing fad.
I also think the kids will surprise us. The establishment celebrates this young girl, because they feel they can use her for their own purposes, but what happens when she challeges them.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 21, 2019 18:17

wonderboy
I grew up in the 70s, which was a truly filthy world. The air, rivers, toxic landfills, Los Angeles had regular smog alerts, people worked with asbestos, many people smoked.
And yet people want to be alarmist. They want to blame others. I suspect some do it because it's a good pretext for expanding the power of the state. Maybe others do it because it gets them off the hook for changing their own behavior. There is also a general air of sanctimony in the air, which is probably a passing fad.
I also think the kids will surprise us. The establishment celebrates this young girl, because they feel they can use her for their own purposes, but what happens when she challeges them.
And YOU would have been called alarmist by the same reactionary types in the '70s for your first statement. What you're saying now is exactly what they said back then. You can't see that?

Nixon only created the EPA under intense pressure by Ralph Nader and other liberal activists (back when liberals actually wielded political clout effectively).

Read the Powell memo...read the Buckley v. Valeo decision. Corporate interests were terrified of political activism and government regulation in the '70s and have been chipping away at them ever since, even though the cleaner environment we see today is a direct result of those regulations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-21 18:19 by keefriff99.

Date: September 21, 2019 18:19

wonderboy

As did I.
You make a good point about progress but I put it to you that it is the same types of people who ever since the industrial age started have been happy for the world to end up filthy as in the 70's are nonchalant about it returning to and staying that way and or getting worse again. ie......greedy capitalist share holders and greedy manufacturers (China etc)

The same types of people who forced a clean up then are trying to improve things again. It can go backwards if ordinary people are not vigilant.

As far as rivers go - in the 90's fish actually started living in the Thames again after the 80's clean effort, a previously highly polluted river (which goes through London).
Now according to the Britsh environment agency only 17% of British rivers are in good health.....[freshwaterhabitats.org.uk]

The money grubbers have screwed things up since the last 150 years and they are determined to 'fill their boots' as per usual to this day at the expense of anything and anybody...........so, if 'we' don't want to go backwards, be wary.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 21, 2019 18:26

EddieByword
wonderboy

As did I.
You make a good point about progress but I put it to you that it is the same types of people who ever since the industrial age started have been happy for the world to end up filthy as in the 70's are nonchalant about it returning to and staying that way and or getting worse again. ie......greedy capitalist share holders and greedy manufacturers (China etc)

The same types of people who forced a clean up then are trying to improve things again. It can go backwards if ordinary people are not vigilant.

As far as rivers go - in the 90's fish actually started living in the Thames again after the 80's clean effort, a previously highly polluted river (which goes through London).
Now according to the Britsh environment agency only 17% of British rivers are in good health.....[freshwaterhabitats.org.uk]

The money grubbers have screwed things up since the last 150 years and they are determined to 'fill their boots' as per usual to this day at the expense of anything and anybody...........so, if 'we' don't want to go backwards, be wary.
Well said! Pretty much mirroring my previous post.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 21, 2019 18:37

I don't think we fully realize how public attitudes have changed the way business is done.
Restaurants are competing to serve the most range-free, no-pesticide food. Car companies sell more product by making more environmentally friendly cars.
The progress that needs to be continue starts with us, not them. There is no them!
We need to eat less meat, drop driving pickup trucks, live in smaller houses.
If we do that, it doesn't matter what government or business does. But I see too any people driving honking big vehicles, living in 2,000-square foot houses, throwing away food, etc. And then lecturing me about climate change.

PS: I agree that China is a big problem. Politically, we could do something about that -- i.e, discourage buying Chinese goods so we can make more goods in the U.S. under our higher environmental standards. But American liberals oppose this because, well, Trump is for it.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 21, 2019 18:38

Markdog
Human caused global warming is pure nonsense. CO2 is vital to photosynthesis of plant growth. More co2 more growth. It’s all about taxes and wealth redistribution. Its why they had to change it to climate change from global warming so that if anything happens it’s your fault. Climate always changes look at history and the recent ice age. It warmed naturally.
If you honestly think if you give enough money to politicians they will fix the climate....Not here to debate but what a scam this is....

You don't understand how CO2 works, yet alone the silly aspect of "more CO2 more growth". Which probably means you don't understand any of it.

It's become too normal for people to be headline readers only (read - LAZY) and not learn anything, not read the whys and hows, which you demonstrate excellently. Fortunately your opinion doesn't matter in respect to reality - it's happening whether you think it's pure nonsense or not. Just as with the people saying 'You fly in airplanes and have trucks bringing your stages around the world' - while it's true that it contributes, jumping on that idiot bandwagon accomplishes nothing. No one can just simply change the way things are done nor will the industries that provide all the fossil fuel burning vehicles simply stop making them. It's beyond a mind set of which is already stuck in a constant finger point of buts and ifw, shoulds and shouldn'ts.

Posted by: JimmyShelter ()
Date: September 21, 2019 18:44

EddieByword
Years ago (2002) I noticed locally that the temperature would drop from Indian summer temperatures on or abouts 17th October to about 10 degrees and wouldn't go above that again until the beginning of March.
Now, it's very rare if it drops to 10 degrees until after the New Year - that's just in the last 17 years..........
Exactly, if you don't choose to believe the science, then ok, that is your prerogative, but you don't need to, the evidence is all around you.
If you think it is all about people trying to get your money off you, then ok, that too is your prerogative, again, you don't have to give it to anybody in order to reduce the damage you do to the World.
If you don't think others are doing enough, who cares, do what makes you feel like you are at least doing something.
But if you just don't care what damage you are doing, don't care what you are leaving behind for your kids and their kids, then just say so. Don't start blaming everybody else, just say "I don't give a xxxx"
And if it is all about share prices and profits then I think it has been pretty well established by now that the cost of dealing with this is just going to get higher and higher if we do nothing now. But then that will be your kids' problem won't it ...

Date: September 21, 2019 19:02

keefriff99
EddieByword
wonderboy

As did I.

Well said! Pretty much mirroring my previous post.

thumbs up

Date: September 21, 2019 19:03

JimmyShelter
EddieByword
Exactly, if you don't choose to believe the science, then ok, that is your prerogative, but you don't need to, the evidence is all around you.
If you think it is all about people trying to get your money off you, then ok, that too is your prerogative, again, you don't have to give it to anybody in order to reduce the damage you do to the World.
If you don't think others are doing enough, who cares, do what makes you feel like you are at least doing something.
But if you just don't care what damage you are doing, don't care what you are leaving behind for your kids and their kids, then just say so. Don't start blaming everybody else, just say "I don't give a xxxx"
And if it is all about share prices and profits then I think it has been pretty well established by now that the cost of dealing with this is just going to get higher and higher if we do nothing now. But then that will be your kids' problem won't it ...

thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 21, 2019 19:07

wonderboy
I don't think we fully realize how public attitudes have changed the way business is done.
Restaurants are competing to serve the most range-free, no-pesticide food. Car companies sell more product by making more environmentally friendly cars.
The progress that needs to be continue starts with us, not them. There is no them!
We need to eat less meat, drop driving pickup trucks, live in smaller houses.
If we do that, it doesn't matter what government or business does. But I see too any people driving honking big vehicles, living in 2,000-square foot houses, throwing away food, etc. And then lecturing me about climate change.

PS: I agree that China is a big problem. Politically, we could do something about that -- i.e, discourage buying Chinese goods so we can make more goods in the U.S. under our higher environmental standards. But American liberals oppose this because, well, Trump is for it.

I know someone that started a business with a friend that grew quickly. In the beginning they sourced out materials locally, a lot of it within 20 miles (I never found out where THEY got their materials from so this could be completely pointless, although I was told a lot of it was made in Louisiana - "made" can mean a lot of things). I thought that was a great thing. Some other people got involved and, in order to make more money, they flew to China to tour some factories that made the same materials for a lot less money.

Need I say anymore?

The biggest push back against industry in the United States is it costs too much to buy those products. Soup swishers costs $20 locally and $15 from China. That adds up fast in terms of saving money. However, the US made soup swishers don't have the environmental aspects to it that for $5 less has, which is extreme (trucks to ships, ships across the ocean, onto trains and trucks - all involving forklifts as well). Oh and all that stuff from China - it creates JOBS JOBS JOBS! It's good for everyone.

That can easily be summed up as "I care about the environment but I won't pay more even though it's better for the environment".

That is a big part of the backbone of the culture of capitalism.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 21, 2019 19:35

It is wishful thinking to believe that rapid degeneration of nature is harmless. When birds, bees, trees, fish, predators and other essential fundaments for our living are going away rapidly, heavily documented by science, then we are left with cockroaches and crazy weather over time.

Luckily Mick, Keith, Ronnie, and millions others across the world do understand the fact that we can not go on destroying life as we know it now.

Bjornulf

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 21, 2019 20:54

I applaud their standing up for this strike and for supporting efforts to save our planet....those idiots who are Climate Change Deniers can rant and condemn it all they want but THEY are in the minority. Why should Mick & Keith be silent on this issue that threatens all of our lives and the lives of future generations? Mick has ALWAYS been political and held liberal views on various topics and it's important for him to voice his views! If some don't like it, too damn bad!

Date: September 21, 2019 21:41

The so called deniers are part silent majprity part many scientists who disagree with the IPCC.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 21, 2019 21:44

Over-population is the culprit to all these climate change issues. angry smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 21, 2019 21:45

LazarusSmith
It's a complex construction that dcba used. The form of the post is that s/he put imagined words in the mouth of "Keef." It's conceivable that dcba is a great fan of Greta and just believes Keith is ignorant or out of touch enough to say such things about Greta. Or it could be that dcba dislikes Greta and is using the character of "Keef" to mouth viewpoints he is reluctant to share him/herself.

Part of me misses the old venimous Keef that would use explitives like "little turd" or would make comments about rappers and the best thing they can do is machine-gunning each other. grinning smiley
I do miss that Keef that seems to have disappered in favor of some "wise man of rock'n roll" persona (yawn).

Part of me also takes that Greta thing with extreme caution. The kind of moral terror imposed upon grown-ups by children reminds of what Uncle Joe (Stalin) used to do in USSR...
Part of me also remembers that in the 90's the Hubbert's peak that "showed" that by 2025 oil would be scarce was all over the media.

It's 2019 and is oil scarce...?

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1788
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home