Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: Keith and Mick chime in on Climate Strike
Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: September 21, 2019 04:22

MileHigh
Any nerds out there know what an "RC time constant" is? smiling smiley

are you a rush Limbaugh listener? Let's pretend that we don't have environmental destruction. have you seen any chickadees in your backyard lately?

oh you wouldn't know would you? let's pretend that nothing's going on. the cry of the ignorant.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: September 21, 2019 04:23

tumbled
I suggest you get your head out of the clouds and see the changes that are going around you.

For me the jury is still out. I will take a wild guess that it will take another 50 to 100 years to have definitive data. I read somewhere that a lot of Al Gore's dire predictions did not come to pass.

Date: September 21, 2019 04:27

tumbled
MileHigh
Any nerds out there know what an "RC time constant" is? smiling smiley

are you a rush Limbaugh listener? Let's pretend that we don't have environmental destruction. have you seen any chickadees in your backyard lately?

oh you wouldn't know would you? let's pretend that nothing's going on. the cry of the ignorant.

Not exactly a response to my question and I just posted that I don't think we have enough data to make any kind of definitive statements about climate change. I think it's somewhat hysterical and akin to worrying about the energy costs for the Internet backbone while forgetting about all of the energy savings that you get from the Internet backbone.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: September 21, 2019 04:34

For me as an env. tech worker I process about 200 plans for houses every day in this small area. The traffic has gotten worse people are traveling extra long ways to get to their job with one person in the car, the developers build crap houses and then the owners call and complain to us. the developers get permits to build on the wetlands and waive the stormwater requirements, ,causing siltation into the rivers that feed the chesbay when I sail and jump into the water the silt goes up to my eyeballs and the river is not fit to swim in. the fish have disappeared and huge boats used to be able to come into port here. the air quality is yellow to red every summer and the tiger mosquitos are decimating the bird species.. There are funguses and Asian insects killing the wetland trees. the oak trees are being decimated by fungus because the developments cut allb ut a small section of forest and the trees need a large swath of vegetation to be able to stave off disease. The end result is sick trees that are falling aind no large swaths of forested area. The air quality and wildlife supportive quality ten goes down and the people that have moved out to the "country" are no longer able to enjoy the benefits of clean air and clean water. I process house permits every day. I have 50-100 a day. The developers are taking over.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 21, 2019 04:58

Bravo!

Date: September 21, 2019 04:58

tumbled
For me as an env. tech worker I process about 200 plans for houses every day in this small area. The traffic has gotten worse people are traveling extra long ways to get to their job with one person in the car, the developers build crap houses and then the owners call and complain to us. the developers get permits to build on the wetlands and waive the stormwater requirements, ,causing siltation into the rivers that feed the chesbay when I sail and jump into the water the silt goes up to my eyeballs and the river is not fit to swim in. the fish have disappeared and huge boats used to be able to come into port here. the air quality is yellow to red every summer and the tiger mosquitos are decimating the bird species.. There are funguses and Asian insects killing the wetland trees. the oak trees are being decimated by fungus because the developments cut allb ut a small section of forest and the trees need a large swath of vegetation to be able to stave off disease. The end result is sick trees that are falling aind no large swaths of forested area. The air quality and wildlife supportive quality ten goes down and the people that have moved out to the "country" are no longer able to enjoy the benefits of clean air and clean water. I process house permits every day. I have 50-100 a day. The developers are taking over.

That sounds like a local environmental management problem caused by price pressure and cutting corners to make cheaper houses. Pure Capitalism needs checks and balances in a domain like that. How can people of good conscience waive things like stormwater requirements? And why isn't the local zoning done properly where presumably wetlands and the proper flow of water in the environment is preserved for the benefit of all? These are rhetorical questions. Plus I know very little about what you are saying but in high school I took a physical geography course.

But we are in a phase were almost everything is blamed on a changing climate. It's too much. Journalism is in a very very bad place right now.

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: September 21, 2019 05:50

What would be the disadvantages of doing something to reduce greenhouse gas emissions anyway?

Or to put it another way - What would be the disadvantages of doing something to reduce pollution?

Please tell me.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 21, 2019 06:22

WelshEdge1
What would be the disadvantages of doing something to reduce greenhouse gas emissions anyway?

Or to put it another way - What would be the disadvantages of doing something to reduce pollution?

Please tell me.

Less fun?

Date: September 21, 2019 06:52

WelshEdge1

Please tell me.

Well, just being a person means that you have to generate greenhouse gas emissions and pollution to stay alive. Here is a simplistic hypothetical example: People protest against a pipeline because they want to reduce greenhouse gas emissions so the pipeline is not built. The pipeline was for exporting lower-cost energy to the Third World. So many small villages and hospitals can't afford fuel for their generators. With no electricity in the hospitals there is no power for incubators and many premature babies die. There is also no fertilizer and the crops yield less food and people starve.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: September 21, 2019 07:11

There's no escaping this topic even if all the threads end up closed eventually. If we're being completely honest with ourselves, this problem can not be solved by politics. There's no political leadier in actual responsibility. I have read up on what's called "the subject-less ruling of capital". It basically means we're locked down in a system where everyone's perception is that they're just acting out objective necessities. The capital seeking to amass itself is the mechanism inherent to everything one looks at. Reversing this would be the emancipatory move but we conditioned ourselves so we can't even imagine how that would work.

Date: September 21, 2019 07:11

Might as well get juiced.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 21, 2019 08:27

The Climate Changes problem will be solved by younger people, because they vote for politicians who understand - and take action on- the problem. Older politicians who ignore or reject the climate changes issues will not win elections over time. It is great to see that Mick and Keith have clear minds, but we have known that for years. It is a long time since they did the LA thing related to climate.

Bjornulf

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 21, 2019 09:06

I grew up in the 70s and the experts and scientists swore we were entering a new ice age.
I’m not trying to be a smartass or be sarcastic, this was the reality we lived in. We were all convinced the “scientists” ( I never did get their names)had figured out a new ice age was coming, I think it’s even mentioned in a Clash song.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 21, 2019 09:17

WelshEdge1

Please tell me.

A new cultural revolution where teens turn in their parents. Yes, what could possibly go wrong, ler’s follow a 16 year olds monotone promise of hellfire.

Date: September 21, 2019 09:48

lem motlow
I grew up in the 70s and the experts and scientists swore we were entering a new ice age.
I’m not trying to be a smartass or be sarcastic, this was the reality we lived in. We were all convinced the “scientists” ( I never did get their names)had figured out a new ice age was coming, I think it’s even mentioned in a Clash song.

They were talking about macroscopic cycles which take tens of thousands of years to unfold. This is as true as it was in the 70s and still on the schedule. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the problem at hand, though.

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: September 21, 2019 09:58

The main problem is the world´s overpopulation, especially in Africa and Asia!

Date: September 21, 2019 10:00

United Nations have detailed info on the climate changes issue:

Climate Change

I would advice anyone to study this info in great detail. Fake news and wishful thinking is not the best fundament in understanding the future problems related to the climate changes.

Bjornulf

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 21, 2019 10:02

Nikkei
lem motlow

They were talking about macroscopic cycles which take tens of thousands of years to unfold. This is as true as it was in the 70s and still on the schedule. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the problem at hand, though.

I don’t mean this in a confrontational way at all,but can I ask you what year you were born?

Date: September 21, 2019 10:17

lem motlow
Nikkei
lem motlow

I don’t mean this in a confrontational way at all,but can I ask you what year you were born?

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 21, 2019 11:52

The real Keith on climate change is rather: 'climate change? hahhargh, you known, [cough, cough], hhaaha, well, Muddy Waters, ahahar, you know, was pretty, ha, dirty, you know, hhaha/[cough], well, there's too much f*ck'n sunshine, you know, there's some climate hhahahargh change, pull down the shades, hahaha, a little bit; uhrgh, pretty hot… [lights another cigarette], you know,hhahahargh' etc

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 21, 2019 11:57

During their last UK tour, the Stones even flew from London to Birmingham, a 2hr 25min drive. They arrived by helicopter at Twickenham from central London.

When the mega-wealthy ditch their tiny trip private and 10 mile helicopter rides, I'll know they're being sincere, not just cynically jumping on a highly visible political message to get more traffic and likes.

Date: September 21, 2019 12:39

Climate changes are NOT about what some people do one time per year, or one time per tour, or during their holidays. Climate changes are about what ALL OF US do EVERY DAY.

Greta Thunberg started the climate changes striking one year ago at age 15. Yesterday there were millions like her striking for the environment and our planet.

I am proud to see The Rolling Stones are supporting the works done to limit the problems related to the climate changes.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-21 12:40 by bv.

Date: September 21, 2019 13:02

Some people from rich countries have this happy problem, "happy" compared to other problems that do not have to be mentioned. I am amazed by the fact that some people living in countries where a lot of their fellow citizens do not have a decent health system available, think that climate worths priority and their best efforts. Egocentrity, narcisism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-21 13:04 by emotionalbarbecue.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 21, 2019 13:06

GasLightStreet
WelshEdge1

Please tell me.

Less fun?

Probably yes - a simple, almost boring life. A simple life like in the 1950s in Central Europe (due to the aftermath of the WWII) or a simple life like in Eastern Europe during the Cold War - few & small cars, a sparsely furnished flat/apartment, 1 TV-set for the whole family, traveling on vacation max. 1x per year (own country, abroad only every few years) and so on.

Some people afraid an ecological dictatorship - probably with quotas for everything you do in life to not exceed the ecological footprint (what is equal to what the nature can regenerate itself) ....

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 21, 2019 13:14

Father Ted
During their last UK tour, the Stones even flew from London to Birmingham, a 2hr 25min drive. They arrived by helicopter at Twickenham from central London.

When the mega-wealthy ditch their tiny trip private and 10 mile helicopter rides, I'll know they're being sincere, not just cynically jumping on a highly visible political message to get more traffic and likes.

Traffic jams are a bitch at any time but what if there was a car crash up ahead and 70,000 other people trying to get to the venue by all means, including other cars and buses and then, you've got those 70,000 people waiting on you....................

I'd bet anything Mick doesn't use a helicopter to travel 10 miles from his Richmond home as a norm................

It took me an hour and half to get to the M25 after that show......I wouldn't imagine Mick would want to arrive at a show as hot and bothered and stressed as I was after that............

No, if you can afford it, a helicopter makes sense.

Also, personally, I think as factor not usually taken into account when calculating ' carbon footprint' is the psychological value of the event.............Is the world a better place for a Rolling Stones concert?.....................Personally, I would say yes......just on the basis of the question Mick once put, "Do you want to dance, or do you want to fight?".................

I'd say, Stones shows encourage people to dance and take that on with them into the next day.............so..............a thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-21 13:17 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 21, 2019 13:47

I truly cannot understand what people who deny the facts and science are afraid of. You don't want your kids to live in a healthy environment?

Date: September 21, 2019 13:54

Yes Korn. A healthy free speech democracy.

Date: September 21, 2019 13:56

wupperstein
The main problem is the world´s overpopulation, especially in Africa and Asia!

But Europeans and Americans are always the problem. This is the new communism.

Date: September 21, 2019 13:58

bv

Climate Change

I would advice anyone to study this info in great detail. Fake news and wishful thinking is not the best fundament in understanding the future problems related to the climate changes.

Eh sorry but you really should be more critical of the UN. No offense.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: September 21, 2019 14:06

bv

Climate Change

Thank you.
I was going to suggest that and ask if anyone here has actually read any of the actual science rather than getting their info 2nd / 3rd / 4th hand or worse from news outlets.
Scientific work like the IPCC is peer reviewed to an unbelievable amount and they are extremely careful with their language.
Media outlets (on both sides) are just looking for a quick and not always accurate headline.
If you want to see this in action and have a laugh at the same time, watch this
[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2052
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home