Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Mick Jagger's, uh, least fine moment as a singer?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 21, 2019 04:08

JordyLicks96
Hairball
Interesting in an odd way to see some fans offended by a bit of friendly/light-hearted critiquing of the band we all love - as if everything the Stones do is perfect!
Shame on those of us who don't worship at the altar of the God-like Stones who can do no wrong!

THANK YOU HAIRBALL!! If someone thinks the Stones have had almost 60 years of perfection, than they need to go listen to The Beatles' 8 year history of perfection or something. If you're a "TRUE" Stones fan, you know that they've had a couple not so lovely moments as far as sound goes, and there's nothing wrong with that!! You're never going to get perfect when talking about The Rolling Stones, and that's what I love most about them. Their imperfection makes me love them that much more!! smiling smiley

Yes JordyLicks96, the Stones' imperfections are part of what makes them the Stones - the good, the bad, and the ugly - warts and all...almost 60 years and counting. thumbs up

Meanwhile, I'm taking a break from listening to the Stones after a summer filled with Stones overload, and instead I'm going to listen to the Beatles' 8 year history of (near) perfection. winking smiley

Just kidding, I'm currently on my 10th (or maybe 15th) consecutive run through the Stones amazing mono box set which has been in my car since driving up to see the Stones in Santa Clara two months ago.
Yes some crappy stuff on there no doubt (crucify me), but possibly the best box release from the Stones ever, and have to say it's almost as good in it's own way as the Beatles Mono Box set.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 21, 2019 04:51

JordyLicks96
I'd have to go with "Dancing In The Light" from the Exile reissue. His vocals, especially the lyrics, make me cringe...not one of his finest moments.

His singing on the "Sympathy For The Devil" version from Madison Square Garden in 1975 when Eric Clapton guested is just EMBARRASSING. I can't even put into words how bad he sounds. Again, I love Mick and starting the thread of his finest moments as a singer was a great topic of discussion, but he's just god awful here. Have a listen:

[www.youtube.com]

I haven't heard that in a while... incredibly awful. Wow. And not just Mick!

Date: September 21, 2019 05:01

Rocky Dijon
Post-tour boredom, more than mean-spirited I thought.

As for DIRTY WORK, I think Mick's vocals on "Harlem Shuffle" are perfect. I enjoy his vocals on the bridge to "Back to Zero" and have always been a fan of "Had It with You." As for the growling Mick (also prevalent on a few STEEL WHEELS tracks which never seem to annoy fans like DIRTY WORK does), I think it works well on the title track.

One of these days, I'll compare Mick chattering like a monkey in 1969 on "Monkey Man" to him doing the same 16 years later on "Back to Zero." No other superstar can channel their inner primate the way Mick can.

It's probably because it's not as bad as a whole... regarding the overall context, that is. But I do know what you mean... and I can't stand it. It's just lesser of.

Date: September 21, 2019 05:03

StonedRambler
Another one that noone mentioned yet is Don't Be A Stranger on the SG Deluxe. That one is quite cringy

A lot of that deluxe album is cringe.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 21, 2019 05:17

GasLightStreet
StonedRambler
Another one that noone mentioned yet is Don't Be A Stranger on the SG Deluxe. That one is quite cringy

A lot of that deluxe album is cringe.

I enjoyed the overall SOME GIRLS deluxe over the EXILE one but I never understood why new vocals had to be added onto some of the tracks. Mick's overdubbed vocals at the time were not very good and songs like "Aladdin Story" should have been left in its instrumental form.

And yes, Don't Be A Stranger is very cringy.

"Well I haven't seen your face for years
I thought you had just disappeared
Don't you worry
What are friends for?"

Oyyy.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: September 21, 2019 06:42

scaffer
Mick's vocal range increased considerably starting around the '94 tour. He began hitting high notes he would never have tried earlier and he can still reach them, it appears. In some ways he is technically a better vocalist today.

And it has to be counted in his favor that he positively screamed his lungs out on a brilliant version of Midnight Rambler in 2006 in Baltimore, the last concert before the Stones went to play the Super Bowl halftime show 4-5 days later. Essentially, Mick risked everything that night on behalf of what I believe was the smallest crowd of the tour.

Mick can still belt it out today, all while 'movin' like Jagger.' I give him a ton of credit.

Finally some common sense. The man is amazing to be at a high level still!

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1792
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home