Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Mick Jagger's, uh, least fine moment as a singer?
Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: September 20, 2019 01:15

Mick's vocal range increased considerably starting around the '94 tour. He began hitting high notes he would never have tried earlier and he can still reach them, it appears. In some ways he is technically a better vocalist today.

And it has to be counted in his favor that he positively screamed his lungs out on a brilliant version of Midnight Rambler in 2006 in Baltimore, the last concert before the Stones went to play the Super Bowl halftime show 4-5 days later. Essentially, Mick risked everything that night on behalf of what I believe was the smallest crowd of the tour.

Mick can still belt it out today, all while 'movin' like Jagger.' I give him a ton of credit.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 20, 2019 01:16

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

Opie Show - The moment you realize Mick Jagger is singing ANDY instead of Angie

These guys reference exile as the album Angie is on so take this to serious.

never heard this at 3.38 mark Andy ?

Wow that one was brutal and the last comment by "Tez Schticle" takes the cake !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 20, 2019 01:35

….. i'm not that crazy on the way Mick sings
the third Oh Yeah in Saint Of Me … doesn't sound like he means it

ROCKMAN

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: September 20, 2019 01:45

Another one that noone mentioned yet is Don't Be A Stranger on the SG Deluxe. That one is quite cringy

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 20, 2019 02:03

mickschix
I agree with Keefriff99 that there are very few men at the age of 76 who can complete an entire tour as Mick has done, singing on key 99% of the time with such power & energy. Considering that Mick has been a lead singer in the limelight for over 55 years, I think this is a really unnecessary thread and very petty. Take into consideration that not all of the " blame" should be put on to Mick...example: Dirty Work SUCKS all the way through and ANYONE having to sing that garbage would come under scrutiny. There are other examples of very sub-par material that Mick had to TRY to sell...if you think he failed, look at the material, not the singer! I also disagree about Wild Horses being so awful on Stripped...it's a bit over enunciated for sure but not his worst by a long shot, IMO. I do agree that that drugged up 70's influenced how he sang....the shouting and rushing through most definetly was coke related. A hazzard of the times. Still, to critique Mick in this way seems kind of nasty, for no good reason.
There's a difference between saying that Mick is still technically VERY good for his age, as I did, and critiquing instances where his vocal style, enunciation, hammy over-emoting, lack of effort, etc., led to bad vocal performances.

If Mick had vocal nodules or was clearly struggling due to age or wear on his vocal cords, then it would be mean-spirited.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 20, 2019 04:03

Streets Of love!!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 20, 2019 04:43

Rockman

I've always been concerned that he pronounces Augustine differently on "Saint of Me" than he did on "Family."

If I'm honest, I blame Jerry for the pronunciation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-20 04:44 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: September 20, 2019 05:19

Everyday on this board people something new to dislike something about The Stones Everyday.

Date: September 20, 2019 05:19

Oh Jerry and that Texan drawl ………….
she waved ta me wonce so eye kant reeeally hold it eggainst her …….

ROCKMAN

Date: September 20, 2019 05:26

Everyday on this board people something new to dislike something about The Stones Everyday.

I put it down to very low self esteem …

ROCKMAN

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 20, 2019 06:34

Who would we dislike? Some band we don't even like..?

Date: September 20, 2019 06:47

z
Mathijs
z
DandelionPowderman
dead.flowers
JordyLicks96

His singing on the "Sympathy For The Devil" version from Madison Square Garden in 1975 when Eric Clapton guested is just EMBARRASSING. I can't even put into words how bad he sounds. Again, I love Mick and starting the thread of his finest moments as a singer was a great topic of discussion, but he's just god awful here. Have a listen:

[www.youtube.com]

No video/footage of this remarkable rendition around?

d.f

At least there is a bootleg. In fairness, it was impossible for Mick to sing, as Keith is completely lost on bass. For minutes he's at the wrong place in the song... hence Mick is just talking/shouting his way through it - as I remember it.

Keith starts the song and they all follow him. Mick is the only one who's lost.

It actually sounds like Mick is quite far from the stage, and singing with the delay in sound.

Mathijs

But he's early, not behind.

I don't hear Keith singing at all. Maybe Jagger's vocals were a thing of the moment; you had to be there to see him, and the singing didnt really matter.

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 20, 2019 07:08

Keith is on bass, Palace.

Date: September 20, 2019 09:05

Rocky Dijon
Rockman

I've always been concerned that he pronounces Augustine differently on "Saint of Me" than he did on "Family."

If I'm honest, I blame Jerry for the pronunciation.

And "a$$" vs "arse" (CB and WTBG) smiling smiley

Date: September 20, 2019 09:12

…. Hey don't bum off Sparks Will Fly by leavin' it out of the show …. …..

ROCKMAN

Date: September 20, 2019 18:19

Rockman

I agree Rockman. You speak words of wisdom

Date: September 20, 2019 18:24

Cooltoplady
Rockman

Oh please. I have zero interest in mindlessly worshiping anyone, or any band.

I find it interesting to critique the Stones, and some of their less than stellar moments are flat-out funny. If some of you people can't handle reading anything other than blind hero worship, then avoid threads like these.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 20, 2019 19:53

keefriff99
Cooltoplady
Rockman

I find it interesting to critique the Stones, and some of their less than stellar moments are flat-out funny. If some of you people can't handle reading anything other than blind hero worship, then avoid threads like these.

Low self esteem? It's called critiquing. Everybody does it. The Stones are my number one band and I love them to death. That doesn't mean I don't think they had some VERY sloppy moments in their 55 year+ history. You'd be avoiding the truth if you chose to ignore those moments.

The 1975-76 tours were the lowest points of their history playing live. They sounded so bad at times, like this version of "Sympathy" from MSG. I'm not going to avoid talking about that and it's not me or anyone else here saying "BAD" things about the group because it ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! If you're going to take it all to heart Rockman than like keefriff said, avoid these threads.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 20, 2019 19:55

Rockman

You are such a sage and a poet and you should be on a Pantheon or a Mt. Rushmore for your wisdom which never fails to delight me (serious , not kidding , such a great wit )

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 20, 2019 20:06

Very interesting thread , I feel that Mick is such a pro with his vocals and delivery that even on his "off" days he knows how to still deliver and compensate for a less than voice on any given day . I listened to the clip from MSG 1975 and it has it moments or more like seconds but I still would take Mick and the Stones on a "off" day than others .These guys are pros thru and thru (no pun intended ! )

Date: September 20, 2019 20:21

keefriff99
Cooltoplady
Rockman

Never listen to anyone that says “oh please”. What’s next? Hitting me with a pillow?

Date: September 20, 2019 20:41

Cooltoplady
keefriff99
Cooltoplady
Rockman

Never listen to anyone that says “oh please”. What’s next? Hitting me with a pillow?
You're the sensitive little soul who can't take seeing your gods critiqued, no matter how mildly. The rest of us are adults who recognize the Stones make a lot of mistakes, and that they're often funny.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 20, 2019 20:46

Interesting in an odd way to see some fans offended by a bit of friendly/light-hearted critiquing of the band we all love - as if everything the Stones do is perfect!
Shame on those of us who don't worship at the altar of the God-like Stones who can do no wrong!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 20, 2019 20:49

keefriff99
Cooltoplady
keefriff99
Cooltoplady
Rockman

You're the sensitive little soul who can't take seeing your gods critiqued, no matter how mildly. The rest of us are adults who recognize the Stones make a lot of mistakes, and that they're often funny.

Oh please

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: September 20, 2019 21:01

I think Mick like every great singer has had a few bad performances over the years. He has gone through different eras with his style and sound although not as drastic as some of his contemporaries. Dylan comes to mind. Most people would say he is a terrible singer but quite the opposite. You can be a great singer with a bad voice.

Date: September 21, 2019 01:48

NO it's definitely low self esteem …. …..

but having said that my daddy was a performing snake wrestler ……

he taught me everything I know …………………………………….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: September 21, 2019 02:01

Walkin' Thru The Sleepy City

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 21, 2019 03:14

Hairball
Interesting in an odd way to see some fans offended by a bit of friendly/light-hearted critiquing of the band we all love - as if everything the Stones do is perfect!
Shame on those of us who don't worship at the altar of the God-like Stones who can do no wrong!

THANK YOU HAIRBALL!! If someone thinks the Stones have had almost 60 years of perfection, than they need to go listen to The Beatles' 8 year history of perfection or something. If you're a "TRUE" Stones fan, you know that they've had a couple not so lovely moments as far as sound goes, and there's nothing wrong with that!! You're never going to get perfect when talking about The Rolling Stones, and that's what I love most about them. Their imperfection makes me love them that much more!! smiling smiley

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: September 21, 2019 04:03

Pietro
Walkin' Thru The Sleepy City

video: [www.youtube.com]

I actually think that's a charming little song from their pop phase and I have no problems with the vocals. I have always really liked that song, just like I like a lot of MOR from the Sixties and Seventies.

Somebody mentioned Mick on SNL in 1978. To use an early-Nineties SNL catch phrase, I thought I was going to hurl! I attribute that to Mick being careless and probably talking and singing up a storm during a frenetic one week of partying and rehearsals. Perhaps some nasal stimulants also. By the time they went live, Mick's voice was spent and totally shot.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 21, 2019 04:03

Rockman
NO it's definitely low self-esteem …. …..
but having said that my daddy was a performing snake wrestler ……
he taught me everything I know …………………………………….

Ah, compensating! I respect that. However, I think too highly of myself to have low self-esteem.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1857
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home