Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Mick Jagger's, uh, least fine moment as a singer?
Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: September 19, 2019 15:37

His contribution to Don Henleys Bramble Rose. I usually like Jaggers approach to country, but this one doesn't cut it for me. If he couldn't be bothered or whatever I don't know, but it certainly doesn't work.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 19, 2019 15:56

Mathijs
z
DandelionPowderman
dead.flowers
JordyLicks96

His singing on the "Sympathy For The Devil" version from Madison Square Garden in 1975 when Eric Clapton guested is just EMBARRASSING. I can't even put into words how bad he sounds. Again, I love Mick and starting the thread of his finest moments as a singer was a great topic of discussion, but he's just god awful here. Have a listen:

[www.youtube.com]

No video/footage of this remarkable rendition around?

d.f

At least there is a bootleg. In fairness, it was impossible for Mick to sing, as Keith is completely lost on bass. For minutes he's at the wrong place in the song... hence Mick is just talking/shouting his way through it - as I remember it.

Keith starts the song and they all follow him. Mick is the only one who's lost.

It actually sounds like Mick is quite far from the stage, and singing with the delay in sound.

Mathijs

But he's early, not behind.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 19, 2019 15:56

That dreadful song Mick and Matt Clifford wrote with Brad Paisley is far worse. Mind you, "Nothing But the Wheel" with Peter Wolf in 2001 is one of my favorite latter-day Mick vocals.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 19, 2019 16:07

JordyLicks96
I'd have to go with "Dancing In The Light" from the Exile reissue. His vocals, especially the lyrics, make me cringe...not one of his finest moments.

His singing on the "Sympathy For The Devil" version from Madison Square Garden in 1975 when Eric Clapton guested is just EMBARRASSING. I can't even put into words how bad he sounds. Again, I love Mick and starting the thread of his finest moments as a singer was a great topic of discussion, but he's just god awful here. Have a listen:

[www.youtube.com]
Whoaaaaa...what in god's name happened here? I mean, besides cocaine?

Date: September 19, 2019 17:05

z
DandelionPowderman
dead.flowers
JordyLicks96

[www.youtube.com]

d.f

At least there is a bootleg. In fairness, it was impossible for Mick to sing, as Keith is completely lost on bass. For minutes he's at the wrong place in the song... hence Mick is just talking/shouting his way through it - as I remember it.

On my boot, nobody follows Keith. Did Clapton guest on more shows?

My boot is "Eric Clapton And His Rolling Stones", or something.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: September 19, 2019 17:13

I might catch some flak for this, and admittedly it has been a decade since I've watched it, but I remember at the time being disappointed in Hal Ashby's "Let's Spend The Night Together" for what I felt was Mick's "shout-singing" through every song.

As far as in the studio, I listened to "I'm Going Home" last night, and I really don't like Mick's vocals on that one. It sounds like he was probably riffing great in one of the rehearsals, and just couldn't re-capture it in the studio.

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 19, 2019 17:19

DandelionPowderman
z
DandelionPowderman
dead.flowers
JordyLicks96

[www.youtube.com]

d.f

On my boot, nobody follows Keith. Did Clapton guest on more shows?

My boot is "Eric Clapton And His Rolling Stones", or something.

I'm referring to the link JordyLicks posted.

Date: September 19, 2019 17:29

z
keefriffhard4life
i've been loving you too long is dreadful imo

Yeah, probably their worst cover track ever.

surprised more people haven't agreed with me as its a studio recording and mick sounds out of breath and off key most of the song

Date: September 19, 2019 17:45

Mathijs
z
DandelionPowderman
dead.flowers
JordyLicks96

[www.youtube.com]

d.f

It actually sounds like Mick is quite far from the stage, and singing with the delay in sound.

Mathijs

Yes, are we hearing the echo from a monitor here? Mick is consistently off throughout.

The bootleg I have has far inferior sound. I've always thought that Keith was off smiling smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 19, 2019 17:46

audun-eg
His contribution to Don Henleys Bramble Rose. I usually like Jaggers approach to country, but this one doesn't cut it for me. If he couldn't be bothered or whatever I don't know, but it certainly doesn't work.

I rather liked his contributions.. the harp playing was instantly recognizable and I thought the the vocals were very good and fit the song.
My only problem was that I thought it should have been a duet with only Lambert and Jagger cool smiley

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 19, 2019 17:54

[www.youtube.com]

DEAD FLOWERS - MICK JAGGER ONLY VOICE AND PIANO

Eddie Vedder always said mick without a microphone is the best backstage.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 19, 2019 17:59

[www.youtube.com]

Opie Show - The moment you realize Mick Jagger is singing ANDY instead of Angie

These guys reference exile as the album Angie is on so take this to serious.

never heard this at 3.38 mark Andy ?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 19, 2019 18:17

"Blinded By Rainbows"... confused smiley

Date: September 19, 2019 19:01

OpenG
[www.youtube.com]

Opie Show - The moment you realize Mick Jagger is singing ANDY instead of Angie

never heard this at 3.38 mark Andy ?

You mean..."Angie...Ain't it (drawn out)...Ain't it time we said goodbye"

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: September 19, 2019 19:17

"Winnaaaang, winnnnnnaaaaaannnnng, uglayeeeeeeeee."

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 19, 2019 19:48

The fey way he sings many latter day ballads.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: September 19, 2019 19:56

Undercover of the night.

His vocals are probably OK, but this sticks out as a very bad track.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 19, 2019 20:03

dcba
"Blinded By Rainbows"... confused smiley
Really? I love that one. What I hate is the over emotional Mick. The way he sings “The Queen of the NAA-HAA-HILE” on Blinded By Love is almost too much to bear.... but then I listen to any rendition of Midnight Rambler, and the man is giving even Robert Plant a run for his money....

JumpingKentFlash

Date: September 19, 2019 20:06

noughties
Undercover of the night.

His vocals are probably OK, but this sticks out as a very bad track.

confused smiley

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: September 19, 2019 20:26

Pretty much all of "Love You Live" except the El Mocambo side.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 19, 2019 20:45

I agree with Keefriff99 that there are very few men at the age of 76 who can complete an entire tour as Mick has done, singing on key 99% of the time with such power & energy. Considering that Mick has been a lead singer in the limelight for over 55 years, I think this is a really unnecessary thread and very petty. Take into consideration that not all of the " blame" should be put on to Mick...example: Dirty Work SUCKS all the way through and ANYONE having to sing that garbage would come under scrutiny. There are other examples of very sub-par material that Mick had to TRY to sell...if you think he failed, look at the material, not the singer! I also disagree about Wild Horses being so awful on Stripped...it's a bit over enunciated for sure but not his worst by a long shot, IMO. I do agree that that drugged up 70's influenced how he sang....the shouting and rushing through most definetly was coke related. A hazzard of the times. Still, to critique Mick in this way seems kind of nasty, for no good reason.

Date: September 19, 2019 20:57

Post-tour boredom, more than mean-spirited I thought.

As for DIRTY WORK, I think Mick's vocals on "Harlem Shuffle" are perfect. I enjoy his vocals on the bridge to "Back to Zero" and have always been a fan of "Had It with You." As for the growling Mick (also prevalent on a few STEEL WHEELS tracks which never seem to annoy fans like DIRTY WORK does), I think it works well on the title track.

One of these days, I'll compare Mick chattering like a monkey in 1969 on "Monkey Man" to him doing the same 16 years later on "Back to Zero." No other superstar can channel their inner primate the way Mick can.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: September 19, 2019 21:02

Ok, not ALL of Dirty Work is hideous! LOL...and some growling is fine, I guess you have to pick your spots. I like your analysis of Mick's " chattering"...great description of that unique sound, Rocky!

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: September 19, 2019 21:29

He can't sing ballads like he used to. The ballads on the modern albums like Blinded by rainbows, Always Suffering, Streets of love, Already over me are way to overacted and not really authentic. They sound like he's trying to hard. Blue and lonesome gave me hope though because his singing is stellar on that.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 19, 2019 21:35

his worst moments are when he barks out the words, like some time live especially mid 70,s and on albums like dirtywork, his voice changes with each song, and works on some but not others.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 19, 2019 21:47

When Mick and Keith stopped writing together, they stopped singing togethers and I think Mick started to lose a sense of coming up with good melodies. Then you're left with shouting and/or his various mannerisms.

Date: September 19, 2019 22:39

DandelionPowderman
Following The River.

I'll take Mick's barking on Hold Back any day, compared to that one smiling smiley

exactly my post. It was 'Hold Back" for me until "Following the River" came along.
I am also not wild about that jig at the end of "Wandering Spirit"; "Handsome Molly" is it?

One song that bugs the crap out of me, and maybe it's the actual song, and not the performance, is "Laugh I nearly died". It was an obvious choice at first, for one of the best cuts of ABB. But 'obvious' is the word. I get the feeling that it was a check-the-boxes kind of effort for him.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: September 19, 2019 23:19

"Watching The River Flow"

Stones on SNL 1978

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-19 23:21 by loog droog.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 20, 2019 00:01

StonedRambler
He can't sing ballads like he used to. The ballads on the modern albums like Blinded by rainbows, Always Suffering, Streets of love, Already over me are way to overacted and not really authentic. They sound like he's trying to hard. Blue and lonesome gave me hope though because his singing is stellar on that.

You're completely right ...he's trying to hard

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: September 20, 2019 00:51

NICOS
StonedRambler

You're completely right ...he's trying to hard
I want to hear that lazy, laid-back ballad voice of Mick again. Like he did on Moonlight Mile, No Expectations or Shine A Light. Or like he did on Country Honk in the Ole ole ole movie [youtu.be]

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1761
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home