Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Mick Jagger's, uh, least fine moment as a singer?
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 19, 2019 05:48

Let me start by saying that Mick is truly my favorite vocalist of all time, and the "Mick Jagger's finest moment as a singer?" thread contains so many examples of why that is.

But Mick's vocals are not ALWAYS so stellar.

Two examples that spring to mind, and I can't decide which I like less:

Hold Back
Under the Boardwalk

Would love to hear other opinions/choices of cringe-inducing Jagger vocals.

Drew

Re: Mick Jagger's, uh, least fine moment as a singer?
Date: September 19, 2019 05:50

i've been loving you too long is dreadful imo

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 19, 2019 06:16

I'd have to go with "Dancing In The Light" from the Exile reissue. His vocals, especially the lyrics, make me cringe...not one of his finest moments.

His singing on the "Sympathy For The Devil" version from Madison Square Garden in 1975 when Eric Clapton guested is just EMBARRASSING. I can't even put into words how bad he sounds. Again, I love Mick and starting the thread of his finest moments as a singer was a great topic of discussion, but he's just god awful here. Have a listen:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 19, 2019 06:53

Except for Harlem Shuffle and Had It With You, all of DIRTY WORK.

The 1975-76 tours.

His aptitude on Always Suffering, Following The River, Streets Of Love... astoundingly awful.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 19, 2019 07:10

Some of the latter day over-enunciated nasally noises he makes are cringeworthy (usually in a live setting)...almost sounds like a constipated pig on helium.
And I never liked his vocals on this version of Wild Horses from Stripped, especially when watching him forcibly acting it out: Wild Horses

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: September 19, 2019 07:11

Drift Away. Cringe-worthy.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: September 19, 2019 07:19

JordyLicks96
I'd have to go with "Dancing In The Light" from the Exile reissue. His vocals, especially the lyrics, make me cringe...not one of his finest moments.

His singing on the "Sympathy For The Devil" version from Madison Square Garden in 1975 when Eric Clapton guested is just EMBARRASSING. I can't even put into words how bad he sounds. Again, I love Mick and starting the thread of his finest moments as a singer was a great topic of discussion, but he's just god awful here. Have a listen:

[www.youtube.com]

Not even wrong.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: September 19, 2019 07:35

Most live versions of Love is Strong.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: September 19, 2019 08:15

Time Waits for No One

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 19, 2019 11:06

The entire Primitive Cool. And Dirty Work.

The mid-80's were just awful for Mick.

Mathijs

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 19, 2019 11:15

keefriffhard4life
i've been loving you too long is dreadful imo

Yeah, probably their worst cover track ever.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 19, 2019 11:23

Listened to DW for the first time in years and was stunned at how bad the singing is on
"Hold Back" so it has my vote as well.

I don't think reading about it elsewhere but when Philippe Manœuvre previewed the album for Libération in March 1986 (Grammys party) he wrote that this was supposed to be a jam but that Charlie's playing convinced them to release it...strange story since it might not even be Charlie playing on that track.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-20 00:57 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 19, 2019 11:40

video: [youtu.be]

An example of how he strips old classics of everything that made them great. Not just his failt of course.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 19, 2019 12:22

JordyLicks96

[www.youtube.com]

eye popping smiley .....I really enjoyed that, even Mick's bit...................thanks....

He was a bit off at the start of 2000 light years at Glastonbury..........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-19 12:54 by EddieByword.

Date: September 19, 2019 12:37

Following The River.

I'll take Mick's barking on Hold Back any day, compared to that one smiling smiley

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: September 19, 2019 12:45

JordyLicks96

[www.youtube.com]

No video/footage of this remarkable rendition around?

d.f

Date: September 19, 2019 12:49

dead.flowers
JordyLicks96

[www.youtube.com]

d.f

At least there is a bootleg. In fairness, it was impossible for Mick to sing, as Keith is completely lost on bass. For minutes he's at the wrong place in the song... hence Mick is just talking/shouting his way through it - as I remember it.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 19, 2019 12:51

JordyLicks96

[www.youtube.com]

It seems he sings a bit out of phase (starting too early), but I think it's on purpose and actually gives the songs a different feel and it kind of works. It's not so bad, really.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 19, 2019 12:54

A distinction perhaps has to be made between original recordings and live performances.

I sometimes think that with all these years of playing stadiums he's kind forgotten how to be subtle.

[...and from numerous interviews down the years it's evident that Mick makes quite a thing about needing large gestures and an exaggerated performance in a stadium. It's something he's mentioned very often.... and may sometimes cause him to over egg things a little !]

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 19, 2019 13:56

DandelionPowderman
dead.flowers
JordyLicks96

[www.youtube.com]

d.f

At least there is a bootleg. In fairness, it was impossible for Mick to sing, as Keith is completely lost on bass. For minutes he's at the wrong place in the song... hence Mick is just talking/shouting his way through it - as I remember it.

Keith starts the song and they all follow him. Mick is the only one who's lost.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 19, 2019 14:33

EddieByword
JordyLicks96

[www.youtube.com]

eye popping smiley .....I really enjoyed that, even Mick's bit...................thanks....

But that'#s because his in ear monitor wasn't working p[roperly. You can clearly seeing him fiddle with it at the beginning. Plus they probably didn't rehearse the song enough. But it all came good at the end. And being there to witness it was something else!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 19, 2019 14:41

Silver Dagger
EddieByword
JordyLicks96

[www.youtube.com]

But that'#s because his in ear monitor wasn't working p[roperly. You can clearly seeing him fiddle with it at the beginning. Plus they probably didn't rehearse the song enough. But it all came good at the end. And being there to witness it was something else!

Ahhh right.........yes, sounds fine at the end..........good choice for Glasters too.......I didn't see that one but did see them do it in Cardiff in 1990..............mesmurising

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 19, 2019 14:53

z
DandelionPowderman
dead.flowers
JordyLicks96

[www.youtube.com]

d.f

Keith starts the song and they all follow him. Mick is the only one who's lost.

It actually sounds like Mick is quite far from the stage, and singing with the delay in sound.

Mathijs

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 19, 2019 15:00

Any time he uses the microphone headset onstage. It tends to make him bray "Ah-houn" and "Aw yeah" an excessive amount of times.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 19, 2019 15:02

Mick has two modes that I hate:

- The over-enunciated, over-emotive, mawkish singing he does on their latter-day ballads
- The clipped barking from live in the mid-'70s

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 19, 2019 15:04

"One day one night" on the Superheavy album deserves to be mentioned here, I guess.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 19, 2019 15:06

This or that song doesn't matter. I think his voice broke up around 1997. That's when the deep nasality sunk in. Since then he had to let go of his mannerisms. By now he has adapted his voice to that.
Sings more economically. Otherwise the tours would have been very short. 2-3 gigs or something. But it took some time for him to realize this. His voice coaches must have been terrible through the years.

Date: September 19, 2019 15:11

marcovandereijk
"One day one night" on the Superheavy album deserves to be mentioned here, I guess.

I'll never forgive Rolling Stone magazine for comparing this track to "Sister Morphine." I couldn't wait for it and all I got was Mick as a grumpy old man saying "Get off my lawn" and complaining about room service and Ziggy Marley's far less talented kid brother complaining about not being able to get high.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 19, 2019 15:13

Mick can still pull off an entire summer tour at 76 and sing the songs in their original key without the band needing to tune down. That's pretty remarkable.

Compared to Daltrey or McCartney, Mick is doing pretty damn well. Now in their primes, Mick was easily the least skilled of the three, but his voice has aged far better.

If you want to criticize Mick's vocal limitations, then you should be thankful you're not into classic hard rock or classic metal. There are so many guys out there in their 50s and 60s who have lost so much range that their material is down-tuned to the point that you can barely make out the original tunes.

Date: September 19, 2019 15:17

I accept Mick's limitations. I only criticize him for being deliberately irritating and for terrible rhymes (which may be the same thing). And yes, I thank Clapton every day I'm not a fan of metal or rap or what passes for country music today.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1880
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home