Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Pick your 1973-1979 Top Ten Rolling Stones songs
Date: September 20, 2019 13:46

<Time Waits For No One - unbelievable Mick & Mick - vocals and guitar>

And Keith. On lead guitar, rhythm guitar and vocals smiling smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 20, 2019 16:29

IORR
Time Waits For No One
Beast
Some Girls
Memory Motel
Hey Negrita
Heart Breaker
Fingerprint File
Hand of Fate
If You Can't Rock Me

tuff...I'm sure my list would change by tomorrow

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 20, 2019 20:01

DandelionPowderman

Rhythm? I don’t hear anybody playing straight electric rhythm guitar and the acoustic could be anybody.

Richards (left channel) plays the lines that follow the vocals and a bunch of swirly stuff at the end.

Sounds like Taylor playing rhythmic partial chords during the verses and choruses in the right channel.

Incidentally, wasn’t it Richards who pushed to keep the extended Taylor solo?

Date: September 20, 2019 20:12

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

Rhythm? I don’t hear anybody playing straight electric rhythm guitar and the acoustic could be anybody.

Richards (left channel) plays the lines that follow the vocals and a bunch of swirly stuff at the end.

Sounds like Taylor playing rhythmic partial chords during the verses and choruses in the right channel.

The Hi-Fli on the verses is rhythm guitar, too smiling smiley

And the Dm/Am parts are sort of a bit of both.

The alleged F major/C major-parts that keep going while Taylor is soloing... it's hard to hear that they're in major at all, like Taylor claimed. I thought that guitar was Keith's.

Haven't heard about Keith encouraging the extended solos, but that might very well be true.

Date: September 20, 2019 20:47

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

The Hi-Fli on the verses is rhythm guitar, too smiling smiley

And the Dm/Am parts are sort of a bit of both.

The alleged F major/C major-parts that keep going while Taylor is soloing... it's hard to hear that they're in major at all, like Taylor claimed. I thought that guitar was Keith's.

Haven't heard about Keith encouraging the extended solos, but that might very well be true.

Yeah it’s all a big swirl at some parts with Bill(?) playing synthesizer too.

Date: September 20, 2019 21:29

True smiling smiley

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 20, 2019 23:28

I decided to leave out Some Girls, as that dominates as much as Sticky or Exile (which means also leaving out Everything is Turning to Gold).

Silver Train
Hide Your Love
Winter
Can You Hear the Music

If You Can't Rock Me
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
IORR
Till the Next Goodbye

Hand of Fate
Crazy Mama

It hurt to leave out Angie, Memory Motel (I had Winter, which is better, so Memory Motel gets cut!), Starf@cker, Heartbreaker, Melody. Those get the nod if we bump to 15.

*edit ... oh, and hated leaving out Cherry Oh Baby, but Ain't Too Proud is clearly the better cover.

** edit again ... damn, just realized I left out Hey Negrita, one of my favorite guitar grooves! I have to squeeze it in somewhere which means pushing another out! This sucks!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-20 23:32 by LeonidP.

Posted by: fela ()
Date: September 21, 2019 00:34

silver train
hey negrita
fingerprint file
hot stuff
time waits no one

dancing mr D
before they make run
100 years ago
fool to cry
its only rock n roll

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: September 21, 2019 01:00

100 Years ago
Winter
If You Can't Rock Me
IORR
Fingerprint File
Through the Lonely Nights
Hand of Fate
Whip Comes Down
Imagination
Respectable

T@3

Date: September 21, 2019 03:35

Swayed1967
Heartbreaker – One of the most interesting and unique songs in the Stones catalogue…although it occurs to me that if Jagger had gone solo in the 70s he probably would’ve produced a lot of songs like this (especially if he collaborated with Billy).

Winter – Jagger’s performance is so convincing here you wonder why he’s not a better actor. And Taylor hits all the right noble and sad notes.

Through The Lonely Nights – ‘Making the Lonely Pay For Me…’ The woman in the song prostitutes herself to lonely men and gives the proceeds to her man/pimp, the song’s protagonist. That’s not a scenario that would normally move me but nobody could pull off decadent and seedy like the 70s Stones.

Time Waits For No One – I’m not sure I particularly like this song to be honest – it certainly doesn’t make me wanna dance or cry. It’s just a brilliant piece of music that demands to be admired.

Dance Little Sister – If I could rewrite the Stones history, I’d put this one on Exile..and Heartbreaker on Some Girls…cuz that’s where they sound best. While I blame Jagger’s half-assed lyrics for much of the band’s demise since 73 this is one of the (few) songs where the lyrics needn’t be profound or even googled – the song is effectively a chant, an invocation of that primal urge to ‘dance.’ I don’t think I’ve ever bothered to find out what Jagger is saying in the verses to Dance Little Sister.

Memory Motel – From around 1985 to 2005 if I happened to find myself next to a guitar I’d pick it up and start playing Memory Motel. Just a memory today though.

Miss You – It hasn’t aged particularly well but the Stones brought no shame on themselves by hopping on the disco bandwagon – quite the opposite in a commercial sense. I always thought the Stones could’ve released a respectable version of ‘Do ya think I’m sexy?’

Before They Make Me Run – It’s kinda tinny and twangy but when Keith gets personal the results are usually pretty cool and this is no exception.

Beast of Burden – The ‘pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty such a pretty girl’ sucks donkey balls but the intro and opening line pretty much booked Keith’s ticket to heaven.

Shattered – It’s almost a little too chitty chatty to call it a proper song – it’s dreadful live - but the ‘Flatter, Flatter, Flatter, Flatter, Flatter, Flatter, Flatter
Pile it Up, Pile it High on the Platter’ kickass ending is aces.

I wrote it off for a long time, but Through The Lonely Nights has excellent lyrics. It’s like a country singer commenting on prostitution in Jamaica; it’s a really cool blend of styles. I wonder if it’s Jagger or Richards on acoustic, and I was actually thinking the other day it might be Taylor on bass, but I’d have to listen again.

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: September 21, 2019 07:07

Doo Doo Doo(Heartbreaker)
Winter
Angie
It's Only Rock and Roll
Time Waits For No One
Fingerprint File
Hand Of Fate
Memory Motel
Far Away Eyes
Beast Of Burden

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: September 21, 2019 11:00

Coming Down Again
Winter
Time Waits for No One
Fingerprint File
If You Can't Rock Me
Beast of Burden
Respectable
Memory Motel
Hot Stuff
Hey Negrita

Date: September 22, 2019 15:50

They wrote some of their best melodies, some of their best ballads in these years.

Memory Motel - great ballad on the road, and at 7 minutes doesn't get too long
If your really want to be my friend - IMo right up there with 'Let it Loose'
Time waits for no one - great solo, great feel
Angie - one of the great love songs of our era
winter - gorgeous
Fingerprint File - they get it right, paranoia; my favorite part is at 3:30 in the first interlude, after Billy's synth has been in, Jagger goes "hmmm" and his own guitar comes crashing back in.
Hand of Fate - it is like 'Rocks Off'; one of those rare times when strong driving rock is equaled by a strong, beautiful melody
Hot Stuff - doesn't get much love, but I love this; the rap at end, but even just the twins going "Hot stuff!'. The live version is one of the few LYL highlights
Miss You - like 'Angie" it is timeless; only the Stones can do this. Am to Dm and it is magic
Shattered - I know Jagger must have been super thrilled when he figured it all out; when he was able to turn that revolving riff into a hook filled song. Before rap.
Beast of Burden - one of Keith's finest. I,love where in some article the writer talks about watching Mick and Keith lay down the BU vox for this in the studio. Make magic.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 22, 2019 19:31

LeonidP
I decided to leave out Some Girls, as that dominates as much as Sticky or Exile (which means also leaving out Everything is Turning to Gold).

Silver Train
Hide Your Love
Winter
Can You Hear the Music

If You Can't Rock Me
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
IORR
Till the Next Goodbye

Hand of Fate
Crazy Mama

It hurt to leave out Angie, Memory Motel (I had Winter, which is better, so Memory Motel gets cut!), Starf@cker, Heartbreaker, Melody. Those get the nod if we bump to 15.

*edit ... oh, and hated leaving out Cherry Oh Baby, but Ain't Too Proud is clearly the better cover.

** edit again ... damn, just realized I left out Hey Negrita, one of my favorite guitar grooves! I have to squeeze it in somewhere which means pushing another out! This sucks!

OMG, I left Everything Turns To Gold off my list...I guess I thought of it on Sucking in the 70s and not as Shattered's b-side.

Absolutely love that toon, and Ronnie's guitar.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: September 22, 2019 19:56

Palace Revolution 2000
They wrote some of their best melodies, some of their best ballads in these years.

Memory Motel - great ballad on the road, and at 7 minutes doesn't get too long
If your really want to be my friend - IMo right up there with 'Let it Loose'
Time waits for no one - great solo, great feel
Angie - one of the great love songs of our era
winter - gorgeous
Fingerprint File - they get it right, paranoia; my favorite part is at 3:30 in the first interlude, after Billy's synth has been in, Jagger goes "hmmm" and his own guitar comes crashing back in.
Hand of Fate - it is like 'Rocks Off'; one of those rare times when strong driving rock is equaled by a strong, beautiful melody
Hot Stuff - doesn't get much love, but I love this; the rap at end, but even just the twins going "Hot stuff!'. The live version is one of the few LYL highlights
Miss You - like 'Angie" it is timeless; only the Stones can do this. Am to Dm and it is magic
Shattered - I know Jagger must have been super thrilled when he figured it all out; when he was able to turn that revolving riff into a hook filled song. Before rap.
Beast of Burden - one of Keith's finest. I,love where in some article the writer talks about watching Mick and Keith lay down the BU vox for this in the studio. Make magic.

This beautiful thread brings out so good writings - like the one above.

Posted by: Jimmer ()
Date: September 23, 2019 05:49

Dancing with Mr. D.
100 Years Ago
Winter
Star Star
Time Waits for No One
Dance Little Sister
Memory Motel
Some Girls
Tallahassee Lassie (Some Girls Deluxe)
Keep up Blues (Some Girls Deluxe)

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1860
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home