Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Mick Jagger's finest moment as a singer?
Date: September 18, 2019 19:45

"Memo from Turner"

"If you really want to be my friend"

"Plundered my Soul"
"No Spare Parts"

"I don't know why"

"Love in Vain" almost every time. Live "Midnight Rambler".

ALL of Exile.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 18, 2019 19:46

"Out of Time" was in Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

I've replayed it since, going to hear it again now.

Soooo many good ones.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: September 18, 2019 20:02

Moonlight Mile
I Got The Blues
Winter
Let It Loose
Ventilator Blues
Loving Cup
All Of Your Love

...ok, I can't pick one. I just keep typing.

Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: September 18, 2019 20:47

JordyLicks96
Mick Jagger may not have the greatest singing voice in the world, but he sure as hell is the finest damn rock and roll singer and frontman in the history of rock music. What do you think was his finest moment as a singer? I think EXILE ON MAIN STREET was his best album and the songs "Moonlight Mile" and "Let It Loose" are in my opinion his finest vocal achievements.

"Rocks Off," "Let it Loose," and "I Don't Know Why" come to mind for me. I, like some other posters, like Mick's vocals most when he is closest to the edge, teetering and cracking like a true soul singer, rather than holding back and just being fey and cool and decadent.

You can make a GREAT case for MPJ as the finest "frontman in the history of rock and roll." But, IMHO, "finest damn rock and roll singer" is a bit more of a stretch. It's all personal preference, of course. I'd suggest any of the following are better singers (not in a technical sense, necessarily, but more in the emotive power of their instruments) than Mick ... and I wonder if he'd even disagree? smiling smiley

Little Richard
Elvis Presley
Van Morrison
Marvin Gaye
Jerry Lee Lewis
Brian and Carl Wilson
Chuck Berry
Ray Charles
Stevie Winwood
David Bowie
Janis Joplin
Rod Stewart
Tina Turner
James Brown
Aretha Franklin
John Lennon
Paul McCartney
Joe Cocker
Otis Redding

and, last but not least, because he changed the entire notion of "singing" in popular music ...

Bob Dylan

Date: September 18, 2019 21:24

Worried About You

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 18, 2019 21:34

too many great moments to mention but here goes.

he is so underrated as a singer

shattered live 1981
winter
let it loose
moonlight mile
suzy q
tell me
if you need me
no expectations
paint it black

but a special mention goes to jigsaw puzzle and its best lyric

me im waiting so patiently with my woman on the floor.

Posted by: torontostoner ()
Date: September 18, 2019 21:43

I’m All Right (live version) on the T.A.M.I. show 1964

Check it out on YouTube...you’re in for a real treat!
This foreshadows countless “finest moments as a singer” to come!

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: September 18, 2019 21:49

Love in Vain on Ya Yas. Love his timing and his clarity. I don’t think that would be an easy song to sing, one might have a tendency to rush it.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: September 18, 2019 21:57

Can anyone relate to the sensation of singing along to Exile songs and feeling really good about the harmonies and then when it's not playing you're hardly able to hit any of the notes? It can be really frustrating. Try singing "judge and jury walk out hand in hand"

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 18, 2019 22:14

LazarusSmith
JordyLicks96
Mick Jagger may not have the greatest singing voice in the world, but he sure as hell is the finest damn rock and roll singer and frontman in the history of rock music. What do you think was his finest moment as a singer? I think EXILE ON MAIN STREET was his best album and the songs "Moonlight Mile" and "Let It Loose" are in my opinion his finest vocal achievements.

"Rocks Off," "Let it Loose," and "I Don't Know Why" come to mind for me. I, like some other posters, like Mick's vocals most when he is closest to the edge, teetering and cracking like a true soul singer, rather than holding back and just being fey and cool and decadent.

You can make a GREAT case for MPJ as the finest "frontman in the history of rock and roll." But, IMHO, "finest damn rock and roll singer" is a bit more of a stretch. It's all personal preference, of course. I'd suggest any of the following are better singers (not in a technical sense, necessarily, but more in the emotive power of their instruments) than Mick ... and I wonder if he'd even disagree? smiling smiley

Little Richard
Elvis Presley
Van Morrison
Marvin Gaye
Jerry Lee Lewis
Brian and Carl Wilson
Chuck Berry
Ray Charles
Stevie Winwood
David Bowie
Janis Joplin
Rod Stewart
Tina Turner
James Brown
Aretha Franklin
John Lennon
Paul McCartney
Joe Cocker
Otis Redding

and, last but not least, because he changed the entire notion of "singing" in popular music ...

Bob Dylan

Well, I should have been more specific in that I think he's a top rock and roll singer. Everyone you listed are some the GREATEST voices in the history of music, but I think, Mick Jagger would go in my #1 spot for the perfect voice for rock and roll. Of course he was inspired by the voices of Chuck Berry and Muddy Waters and all of the blues singers who inspired The Rolling Stones. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-18 22:28 by JordyLicks96.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: September 18, 2019 22:25

Nikkei
Can anyone relate to the sensation of singing along to Exile songs and feeling really good about the harmonies and then when it's not playing you're hardly able to hit any of the notes? It can be really frustrating. Try singing "judge and jury walk out hand in hand"

That's exactly why I think EXILE is Mick Jagger's best album. When you listen to all of the different genres of music he sings like the hard rock swing of "Rip This Joint," to the "hypnotic shoeshine beat" of "Shake Your Hips," to the country sounds of "Sweet Virginia" and "Torn and Frayed." He delivers a wonderful calypso-style vocal on "Sweet Black Angel" and a swampy gospel vocal on "I Just Want To See His Face." Lastly, we can't forget about the heart-wrenching vocals on the slower but powerful songs like "Loving Cup," "Let It Loose" and "Shine A Light." EXILE ON MAIN STREET in my opinion was Jagger's finest moment as a singer and one of the best in the history of music.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: September 18, 2019 22:25

His singing on Sympathy is so compelling. The way it gradually moves in intensity with each verse is just magnificent one of the greatest rock vocals ever recorded in my opinion.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 18, 2019 22:28

Elmo Lewis
I 'm sure I'm in the minority, but I love the falsetto - "Fool To Cry", "Worried About You", "Emotional Rescue", etc.

I agree 100%, Elmo, and I assume you've heard this glorious outtake?

[www.youtube.com]

Drew

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 18, 2019 22:57

Every song on EOMS.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 18, 2019 23:08

Ket
His singing on Sympathy is so compelling. The way it gradually moves in intensity with each verse is just magnificent one of the greatest rock vocals ever recorded in my opinion.

Yes indeed, and those yelps, grunts, and groans during the intro set the perfect stage for the tales from the darkside.

Date: September 18, 2019 23:12

JordyLicks96
LazarusSmith
JordyLicks96

Little Richard
Elvis Presley
Van Morrison
Marvin Gaye
Jerry Lee Lewis
Brian and Carl Wilson
Chuck Berry
Ray Charles
Stevie Winwood
David Bowie
Janis Joplin
Rod Stewart
Tina Turner
James Brown
Aretha Franklin
John Lennon
Paul McCartney
Joe Cocker
Otis Redding

Bob Dylan

Well, I should have been more specific in that I think he's a top rock and roll singer. Everyone you listed are some the GREATEST voices in the history of music, but I think, Mick Jagger would go in my #1 spot for the perfect voice for rock and roll. Of course he was inspired by the voices of Chuck Berry and Muddy Waters and all of the blues singers who inspired The Rolling Stones. smiling smiley

Well, it's all personal opinion, anyway, so it's all good!

But, just for the record, I think THIS is pretty rock and roll ... smiling smiley

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 18, 2019 23:15

So many songs but his singing style, his voice sits in the music perfectly like an old blues guitar just slightly out of tune, for the most part singing around the notes.

Date: September 18, 2019 23:16

Nikkei

The "Judge and Jury walk out" isn't that hard ... but the "hand in hand" phrase sounds brutal unless you got Keith's harmony vocal along for the ride.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: September 18, 2019 23:24

Without the music or playing on guitar - songs like Let It Loose, Sway, and CYHMK Moonlight Mile are hard to sing by itself. Those songs need the jagger attitude and swagger and most of the covers never come close to the originals.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: September 18, 2019 23:24

Jigsaw Puzzle
Loving Cup
Let it Loose
Sway
Worried about You
Love is Strong

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: September 18, 2019 23:32

..great vocals on "Cops and robbers"...with many words not easy to remember and sing LIVE to a young singer without too much experience...!.......

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: September 18, 2019 23:41

Crazy Mama is a big fav or mine

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 18, 2019 23:42

Worried About You

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 18, 2019 23:55

No Use in Crying

Date: September 19, 2019 00:00

Hairball
No Use in Crying

Great choice- that song always lingers in back of mind.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 19, 2019 00:01

I always say that Jagger failed when he chose to become a rock singer. He's so much better when he sings ballad and/or the blues

Date: September 19, 2019 00:20

What about Love in Vein off of Get Yer Ya Yas Out?

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 19, 2019 00:45

Everything on Let it bleed.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 19, 2019 01:00

Memo from Turner and 300+ more...................

If you want I can write them down

300+.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 19, 2019 01:06

can you do it in short hand …..
Love it when I cant figure out what song some dude is ravin' about ….

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1795
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home