Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

RIP - Eddie Money
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: September 13, 2019 18:31

[www.foxnews.com]

Got to see him open for Santana in Boston, 1978, when he was just getting started.

So sorry to see this news.

Re: RIP - Eddie Money
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 13, 2019 18:35

RIP Eddie. he was 1 of the opening acts the first time i saw the stones ( boulder 1978) along with peter tosh & kansas.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 13, 2019 18:37

Just read this - very sad.
My older sister had his album in the late '70's w/Two Tickets to Paradise (and Baby Hold On), and played it all the time - not to mention it being played on the radio relentlessly.
The guitar playing on Paradise was fantastic, and still enjoy hearing it when it's played on Classic Rock radio stations.

Two Tickets To Paradise

RIP Eddie Money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-13 18:40 by Hairball.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 13, 2019 19:03

Sad story - RIP, Eddie.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: September 13, 2019 19:12

I saw him as support act for Santana in a good show in 1987.

RIP Eddie Money

Posted by: 5stringTele ()
Date: September 13, 2019 19:16

I saw him as an opening act in the late 1970s. The man got a ton of airplay back in the day.

RIP. Too damn young. One ticket to Heaven.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 13, 2019 19:49

Loved this guy. Met him once and he was great. A VERY unique character. Great voice!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 13, 2019 19:55

R.I.P.

Edward Mahoney
aka Eddie Money

Did you know? ... Eddie used to be a cop in NYC.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 13, 2019 20:13

Hairball
Just read this - very sad.
My older sister had his album in the late '70's w/Two Tickets to Paradise (and Baby Hold On), and played it all the time - not to mention it being played on the radio relentlessly.
The guitar playing on Paradise was fantastic, and still enjoy hearing it when it's played on Classic Rock radio stations.

Two Tickets To Paradise

RIP Eddie Money.

Yes, the great Jimmy Lyons' guitar playing was excellent on those first few albums.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 13, 2019 20:32

RIP Eddie. I bought the Two Tickets To Paradise 45 single when it came out, one of the first 45s I bought. Think I was around 11. Loved Take Me Home Tonight, especially Ronnie Spectors contribution.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: September 13, 2019 22:06

Not what you would call a huge eddie money fan but this is an excellent live performance of a pretty sharp Top 40 tune- the band is tight and eddie nails it....circa 1977. Extra credit for spotting Aynseley Dunbar....

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-13 22:11 by roryfaninva.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 13, 2019 22:30

Oh man, that's sad news. Two Tickets to Paradise is truly one of my favorite tracks of all time.

RIP, Eddie.

Drew

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: September 13, 2019 22:37

OMG so gutted to hear this...its comming to us all

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 13, 2019 23:09

Realize he was battling cancer, but an update from the family said the cause of death was doe to complications from a heart valve replacement he had a couple of months ago. Gulp.
RIP

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: September 13, 2019 23:58

Eddie was always very appreciative and respectful of his fans. Chatting and signing albums long after the show was over. RIP Eddie

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: September 14, 2019 01:32

Another portion of youth gone.

Saw him at Clamity Janes Nashville Nevada in Vegas along with Wild Child.

He did stay and talk to the fans after a show.

Posted by: fuwa ()
Date: September 14, 2019 02:11

Saw him in Oakland Day On The Green with the Rolling Stones in 1978. Put on a good show. Opened with Two Tickets To Paradise. Still have the Happy Birthday Mick Day On The Green T-shirt with Eddie Money and Peter Tosh.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: September 14, 2019 02:57

I saw Eddie Money and Nils Lofgren at The Bottom Line NYC, October 1977. I went to see Nils but Eddie and his band blew me away.

RIP Eddie

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 14, 2019 04:21

Worked with him on a Christmas Special for FOX television in 1988. Backstage he acted reveled in being a rock star.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: September 14, 2019 06:20

Was a fairly big staple of AOR Radio in the late 70's mid 80's. Loved "Two Tickets To Paradise".

Posted by: Undercover1 ()
Date: September 14, 2019 14:43

I recently read an interview with him where he said he was booked to open a bunch of shows for the Stones and was fired after 4 gigs. Anyone know the story there?

-Undercover

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: September 15, 2019 07:33

Never seen him live but always liked his music. RIP, my condolences to his family.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: September 15, 2019 10:29

Undercover1
I recently read an interview with him where he said he was booked to open a bunch of shows for the Stones and was fired after 4 gigs. Anyone know the story there?

-Undercover

"Money was signed by Columbia Records and by the end of the decade was a big enough act to open for The Rolling Stones, although the job did not last as long as expected.

“I had a hit with Two Tickets and everybody loved me; I was getting too many encores,” Money told hippopress.com.

“We were supposed to have six dates (with the Stones), and we only worked four.

“The way I see it is this — if you’re gonna get fired from a Rolling Stones tour, get fired for being too good.”

Taken from this Virgin Media TV site

Date: September 15, 2019 16:51

Just read this ....

In a statement offering their condolences to his family, NYPD clarified that Eddie (Mahoney) Money was "... never appointed to the rank of Police Officer."
At one point, he was an NYPD trainee.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-15 17:00 by schillid.

Date: September 15, 2019 17:02

So he never wrote two tickets ... not even one single ticket.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 15, 2019 17:33

schillid
So he never wrote two tickets ... not even one single ticket.

Groan .... and LOL.

Posted by: Stones726 ()
Date: September 15, 2019 19:57

5stringTele
I saw him as an opening act in the late 1970s. The man got a ton of airplay back in the day.

RIP. Too damn young. One ticket to Heaven.

I saw him open for the Stones at the Oakland coliseum July 26, 1978. RIPP Eddie Money

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: September 15, 2019 21:30

Early in his career, Eddie was managed by Bill Graham. His being fired from a Stones tour may have had something to do with a conflict with Bill or his demands. I don't see the Stones firing anyone off a tour for being upstaged (especially someone like Eddie Money, who was okay, but not that good).

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 15, 2019 21:56

Much respect for "live sampling" which helped in reviving Ronnie Spector's career.

“Eddie’s voice was soulful Rock & Roll, I just loved it. That’s really why we got together in the first place,” Spector said in a statement. “I loved his voice, he loved mine. He introduced me to a whole new generation of fans in the 1980s with our recording and video of ‘Take Me Home Tonight.'”

As noted in Rolling Stone‘s tribute to Money, “Take Me Home Tonight” was among the first songs to use a “live sample” of a previous hit: Rather than simply integrating the Ronettes’ “Be My Baby” into the song, Money recruited Spector – who had largely left the music industry at the time – to re-record the classic hook for the song."
[www.rollingstone.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home